• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
1666968324674.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus thanks the team at Travel Wander. :wink:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
At the conclusion of our #Anchorvale trip to Jeju, I shared briefly with our participants—some of whom were not as accustomed to long hikes—that I hope that they were able to challenge themselves, and prove that they could accomplish something that they had previously thought was not possible.
At the same time, I hoped that they were able to enjoy their time convening not just with nature, but also with each other, especially over our many lunches and dinners. In many cultures, shared meals are a way to foster trust and build bonds. I’m sure that our travelers will have done the same, over tons of fresh seafood.
Our time on earth is frequently about the connections we make. As we return to the hustle and bustle of our daily routines in Singapore, I hope that the friendships born during the trip will continue, and the memories made will be a source of continued growth for everyone, as they travel onward in this journey of life.
Thanks to the team at Travel Wander for their partnership in putting the trip itinerary, and for keeping everyone safe! #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Our #TeamSengkang house visits this week allowed us to complete 259A #Compassvale and 323B #Anchorvale, while also getting a start on 320B #Anchorvale. We even managed to squeeze in a visit at the 263 coffeeshop on Saturday morning!
A recurrent theme for this week’s dialogs was on the pressure that families continue to face in navigating high inflation. More than one expressed their concern that the packages offered so far were welcome, but woefully insufficient. This sentiment was especially pronounced for those who—due to middle-class incomes or house size—were deemed better off. Yet the bite of higher prices couldn’t be easily shrugged off, especially when spending was for daily necessities.
Such stresses were especially keenly felt by the sandwich generation. One family we spoke to had just welcomed a newborn—an unquestionable joy—but as any parent knows, it also meant a significant increase in household expenditures. Another family worried about how transportation seemed to be getting more and more unaffordable, with even the costs of public transport not immune from rising prices.
Another family spoke about medical cost inflation, and its effect on their upbringing of their 7-year-old son. The boy had recently required some medical intervention, which subsequently required the purchase of a medical device from a public hospital. When the device failed, they went on the open market to procure a new one, but were shocked that it was something like 40 percent cheaper online. They also shared that they had been surprised by how public hospitals weren’t all that much cheaper, despite the longer wait. I had previously spoken about instances of runaway pricing in public hospitals during my speech on #HealthySG, and this is yet another instance of why we should better monitor divergences in public-private costs.
Not all the conversations were dour, however. We managed to catch a few Indian households who were still celebrating the tail end of Deepavali, and to send our best wishes their way. #SengkangGRC

1667224627317.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus celebrated his sister's birthday. :wink:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
A few weekends back, our family gathered to celebrate my sister’s birthday. She had just returned from Italy, and had gifted us some foodstuff, so I went ahead and prepared an Italian dinner. Since she’s an irredeemable meatlover, I ended up introducing some small pieces of cured pork: guanciale (the jowl, often used here in char siew) and pancetta (belly, which we use for tau yew bak or siu yok).
Many folks instinctively think about #HealthySG in terms of exercise and fitness. While working out is undoubtedly an important contributor to wellness, so is diet. When we first transitioned away from routinely cooking meat at home, Mom used to wonder where we could get our protein from. It turns out that you can do perfectly well with a mix of eggs, fish, and legumes. We’re not religious about shying away from meat, and when the occasion calls for it—during a celebratory event, or when we are guests somewhere—we will still partake. But for us, we’ve found that reducing our meat intake has generally been a net positive for our wellbeing.
Regardless of how your family dines, one thing is certain: the food always tastes better among loved ones. We try our best to have such gatherings with my sister’s family, now that I’m based in Singapore. It was certainly one of the things that I missed most when we lived in separate countries, and something we miss with my in-laws, now that we’re based here.

1667315226310.png

1667315241536.png

1667315252756.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus celebrated Halloween. :cool:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Halloween—celebrated the last day of October—is often regarded as a quintessential American holiday, despite its Celtic origins. While many here may not care much for the spooky (or sexy, depending on one’s age) costumes, pumpkin carving, or gory house decorations, one tradition has enormous appeal for kids anywhere: trick-or-treating.
Our daughter is just about the turn three, and is therefore old enough to get really excited about the dress-up, door-to-door visits, and (of course) the candy. So we were delighted to be able to join a group of #Compassvale Cape residents over the weekend for their Halloween walkabout (this is especially since our little one had been amply primed over the past few months with Halloween-related YouTube videos).
And of course, she had a blast. The community-organized event had 9 different stations, with elaborate decorations, tables of treats, and even creepily-themed homemade games, all set up by dedicated households. While we were not able to visit them all—I lay the blame on our daughter’s somewhat languorous pace—those that we managed to get to were all thoroughly impressive.
Thanks to all the families who took the time and effort to create an event that has brought so much joy to so many children (including my own)! It was a perfect way to spend a Saturday night with the family, and yet another testament of the wonderful kampong spirit that #SengkangGRC residents carry.

1667394640661.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus collected rubbish. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Our quarterly #CleanSG day went ahead in the #Anchorvale Gardens cluster this past Sunday morning, with a mix of #TeamSengkang volunteers, residents, and interested visitors (who were part of a team that had developed an app for tracking trash collection). We were able to gather a solid haul of rubbish, including a stash of cigarette butts, which two volunteers painstakingly cleared. Thanks to all those who took the time to come down—including repeat customers!—and help make #SengkangGRC that little bit more beautiful.

1667484044802.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus plans to run and then celebrate Deepavali. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
Owing to the Deepavali celebrations for that #TeamSengkang will host this Saturday at 7:00pm at 273E #Compassvale, we will be moving the monthly #SengkangGRC #RiverRun to an earlier start time, of 6:00pm (instead of the usual 6:30pm), so that I won’t show up at the celebration as a hot sweaty mess. Come join us, in the spirit of #HealthySG. Hope to see you guys at both of these events!

1667487497876.png

1667487519356.png

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

1 d ·

The Workers' Party

1 d ·
On this day 65 years ago, The Workers' Party of Singapore was formed by Singaporeans who wanted to make things better in the country they loved. Today’s Workers’ Party members cherish the same dream. On this occasion, we are launching the trailer for our soon-to-be released documentary film on the history of Hougang and what has come to be known as the Hougang spirit. The film showcases the voices of past and present Hougang residents, alongside commentary by historians, public intellectuals, politicians, and volunteers. Charting Hougang’s history from the mid-eighteenth century, the film features personal recollections of growing up in Hougang, residents’ sentiments towards state-led redevelopment and relocation, and the political journey of the community in the context of the Workers’ Party having won the Hougang Parliamentary seat a little over 30 years ago. The full film is planned to be shown at public screenings in the next few months. More details will be released when ready.
This film was a labour of love by a dedicated and talented group of film-makers. Last but not least, we would like to thank Sudhir Thomas Vadaketh, Editor-in-Chief of Jom, Mark R. Frost, Associate Professor of Public History, University College London, Bryan Goh, PhD student in History, University of Michigan as well as Workers’ Party leaders Low Thia Khiang, Png Eng Huat, Dennis Tan, Kenneth Foo and many others for agreeing to be interviewed for this film.