• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Last night, I joined a group of parliamentarians—including my #workersparty colleagues Gerald Giam 严燕松 and Dennis Tan Lip Fong 陈立峰—in an informal discussion with Assistant Foreign Affairs Minister Tim Watts MP, on the general topic of Aussie-Singapore ties.
We were able to share candid thoughts on how such ties may be strengthened. On my part, I shared my belief that Australia would have to strike its own balance between embedding itself deeper into Southeast Asia—the region that is its closest neighborhood—and retaining its Western, liberal identity, which is an indelible part of its heritage and (in a number of quarters) its appeal. I also thought that it could also continue to lean on some of its traditional strengths—in tertiary education ties, tourism, and sporting excellence—as exportable services that could diversify the economy’s growth engine for the future.
Thanks to the Australian High Commission, Singapore for the invitation, and for hosting our little group!
May be an image of 12 people, people sitting and indoor

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses trusts. :wink:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
The idea of trusts and foundations may conjure up images of rich people and their lofty estates, and seems to be far removed from the everyday concerns of most Singaporeans. But the truth is, most of us have encountered trusts in some form. We donate to charities, which is a type of trust. We nominate beneficiaries for insurance or CPF, both of which are trust arrangements. And if you invest, you may have purchased a share in a unit trust, or a real estate investment trust (or REIT). So in reality, most of us have at least a passing familiarity with what a trust is, and how they play a role in our lives.
Business trusts (BTs) are somewhat less familiar, but fulfill a similar function: they allow the assets and liabilities of a business to be delegated to another individual for management. Think of it as another way to organize a business (other than as a corporation). We don’t need to go into why businesses may choose the trust structure. Such flexibility is good for businesses, of course. But it’s fair to ask if this choice—which, by design, does not require regular distributions and permits leverage—may be detrimental to the economy.
One concern is that business trusts may be a loophole for REITs to take on excess debt. Of the 18 registered BTs, 11 have something to do with real estate. Excess leverage in housing is one of the drivers of financial crises. Should we be worried? Another concern is that corporations may routinely exhibit prosocial behavior, which is more unlikely in a BT. Firms in China and Japan routinely weight employment considerations over profit. German firms consider not only shareholder but stakeholder interests. If the BT structure proliferates, we can be less confident that cut-throat capitalism doesn’t rule the day, to the detriment of our workers and economy at large. This could lead to quicker layoffs during a recession, or escalating rent and sales prices.
But we can align trusts for the social good. One way is to introduce even stronger incentives for BTs to be willing to write off charitable donations. More generally, we can foster a culture of philanthropy by promoting foundations and trusts in our society. We are no longer a poor country, and we have many high net worth individuals in our midst (as Crazy Rich Asians reminds us). But our philanthropic culture is still pretty rudimentary, and our foundations and nonprofit sector comparatively underdeveloped. We can expand the range of socially-beneficial activities that the well-off in our society can contribute to. A broader regime of naming rights. Greater support for nonprofit formation and funding via foundation grants. Building our grantwriting community.
There is actually a lot of complementarity between the supply and demand side of philanthropy. Many wealth management outfits serve donor trusts, foundations, and nonprofits under the same umbrella. My hope is that the well-to-do and wealthy, along with trusts and foundations, will become a greater part of our nation’s philanthropic landscape and social fabric. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
1666367845409.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus went for a long hike. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
#TeamSengkang and a smattering of our #Anchorvale residents wrapped up our second day in Jeju with the longest hike of our trip, on a coastal route (Olle Trail 6). The hike is graded as “easy,” but it did entail a climb up a small hill, and—for me at least—doing it with a full pack that included baby in tow meant it was a challenge, especially on the ascent. Nevertheless, the incessant singing from the little one kept me company as I panted my way, and the great views at the end compensated for the pain along the way.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus participated in a Financial Innovations Lab session on best practices for sovereign wealth funds. :wink:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
A few weeks back, I participated in a Financial Innovations Lab session on best practices for sovereign wealth funds, held under the auspices of the Milken Institute Asia Summit.
The session brought together a group of sharp minds (with yours truly perhaps exempted) that were also seasoned hands in the sovereign and long-term investor space. Our discussion spanned the gamut of SWF purpose, structure, governance, investment strategy, and performance. While I’m not at liberty to share specifics, I can attest to the enormous power that comes from putting together a brain trust of experts, even for a brief afternoon, to ponder and debate issues from a range of perspectives. I certainly learned a ton from the views and experiences of the others gathered in the room.
Thanks to Ella, Kristen, and the rest of the team at the Milken Institute Asia Center for the invitation, and the opportunity to contribute to the conversation.

1666533330205.png

1666533344754.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wishes Happy Deepavali to all those that celebrate. :wink:

Jamus Lim

12 h ·
Today, our Indian community in Singapore joins hundreds of millions around the world to celebrate Deepavali or Diwali. The festival celebrates the victory of light over darkness, and of knowledge over ignorance. As we enter more uncertain economic times, the wisdom to tread carefully is something we could all use. Happy Deepavali, to all those that celebrate. May you and your family be overflowing with abundant blessings, and the lights of a thousand lamps guide your pathway into the future.

1666615127994.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invited his conservancy crew and estate management folks for a biryani meal. :wink:

Jamus Lim

7 h ·
Although Deepavali is originally a Hindu festival, it has transcended religious lines and, today, the day is also celebrated by Jains and Sikhs (albeit with variations in meaning and symbolism). And while we only have one day off as a public holiday, it is actually a multiday event—much like the Chinese New Year or Eid Al-Fitr/Hari Raya Puasa—that is observed over the course of a week.
So in a similar multicultural spirit, #TeamSengkang invited our conservancy crew and estate management folks for a biryani meal (my go-to choice, a practice we also try to repeat during Eid), to thank them for their ongoing efforts. Since the new team took over fully at the end of last year, we’ve received far more positive feedback than ever before, and this has undeniably been due to the hard work and dedication of our property team, for which we—and the residents of #SengkangGRC—can all be grateful.
1666704287522.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to work. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
This coming Sunday is the quarterly #CleanSG day. This round, #TeamSengkang volunteers and myself will focus our cleanup efforts in the Gardens cluster. We invite interested residents and their families to join us as we work together to inspire a keener awareness of our immediate environment, while keeping #Anchorvale clean!

1666880603639.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus has a few suggestions for OYK and LW. :wink:

Jamus Lim

15 h ·
When I first arrived in the United States for my doctoral studies, I was shocked at how expensive mandatory healthcare insurance was. At several thousand a year, it seemed a lot more expensive than the twenty or thirty dollars we’d pay when we saw our doctor. Plus, I was 25. I would go to the doctor maybe twice a year, if even that often (remember when you were that invincible?). I thought that U.S. healthcare was just an unfair tax on the young and healthy, a reflection of the overall poor health of the American population.
I’ve since learned that, all things considered, the couple thousand bucks was a pretty decent deal. Insurance covered visits to the dentist and eye doctor, along with all routine care. And if I was admitted to hospital, the out-of-pocket expenses, while high, wouldn’t break the bank. Every system has its positives and negatives. Still, Singapore’s ability to deliver world-class care, at very contained costs, seemed to me a miracle, which I attributed to a fortunate mix of culture and policy.
The 3 pillars the Singaporean model (Medisave, Medishield, Medifund), along with subsidies, have been at the centerpiece of this successful approach. Still, the 3Ms only finance a bit more than 8 percent of national health expenses, with most costs still paid for out-of-pocket. Furthermore, our healthcare cost landscape is rapidly changing. Healthcare prices have risen faster than overall inflation, and some have even suggested that the medical inflation rate would grow by between 7 and 10 percent.
In October, Parliament debated the government’s white paper on #HealthySG. The document focuses on preventative health as a complement to treatment, which has the added benefit of keeping medical spending down (healthy people see the doctor less). But improving health cannot be the sole strategy for keeping our medical costs in check. We need to recognize that the economics of healthcare has a tendency to skirt competitive forces, which is the usual way markets keep prices low.
I offered a number of suggestions for how we could control spiraling costs. One way is to improve pricing transparency at clinics and hospitals, by requiring doctors to post their multiplier over MOH benchmarks. Insurance companies can choose to only pay out for doctors charging at the 40-60th percentiles. This provides a check on pricing behavior. Patients who wish to keep their preexisting doctors can do so, by topping up at their own expense.
Speaking of preexisting stuff, patients with such conditions should be allowed to switch insurers. This could mean higher premia in the short run, but translate into greater competition in the long run (which would then lower insurance charges).
Medishield Life, as a major player, can be more proactive in bargaining for lower prices. This sets the tone for what prices are acceptable for procedures it covers, and is routinely done in single-payer systems worldwide.
The public sector isn’t exempt from price escalations, and there are anecdotes of such egregious practices at public hospitals, especially for pre-subsidy charges. These should be policed more closely, and not allowed to diverge too much. That’s because while there isn’t generally any “optimal” mix of public vs private healthcare. The private sector keeps a lid on demand with pricing, while the public sector tends to rations by time. So you pay more for the privilege of seeing a private doctor quickly, while you wait longer & spend less time with doctors at a public facility (incidentally, it’s a myth that it’s about quality; doctor friends swear that public hospitals are better at many procedures). Hence when we see recent reports of excess wait times at hospitals (including, alas, in #SengkangGRC General), I worry that this public-private price differential has gotten out of whack.
We should also recognize that some drivers of rising medical costs have little to do with greedy doctors, patients, hospitals, or insurers. Record land sales eventually get passed on via higher rents and, in turn, higher medical fees. If we insist on market pricing of land, regardless of function, we invite such price spirals. Land prices indirectly become an implicit tax, and a millstone around the necks of the sick and infirm.
But there are also non-medical tools we can deploy to contain healthcare costs. One is to better integrate information technology systems for insurance claims, in an expanded public-private partnership.
The bottom line is that there’s unlikely to be a silver bullet for solving our medical cost woes. #HealthySG is one pillar. But we mustn’t place it all on the patient. We can also better design and regulate the healthcare financing market. #makingyourvotecount