• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus pays tribute to an artist. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 h ·
This week, Ho Ho Ying—one of Singapore’s pioneering modern artists—passed on. He was a Sengkang resident. After the pandemic struck, Mr Ho had contracted COVID-19, and had to undergo mandatory quarantine at the Expo facility. But while he survived the ordeal, his health was never the same, and he succumbed to ill health, just a few months shy of his 87th birthday.
A student of local masters Liu Kang and Chen Wen Hsi, Mr Ho left behind a remarkable legacy, not just of beautiful art pieces—which adorn galleries and private collections around the world—but also of his pioneering spirit, in pursuing an art form he felt passionately about, but for which society was not yet prepared to accept. Today, it would be shocking to hear that his unique style—which blends post-Impressionism (especially inspired by Van Gogh), abstract, expressionism, and Pollock-style drip painting) with more traditional Eastern influences—would not be immediately recognized for its trailblazing nature. But it wasn’t, at least initially, and it was only in his later years when he became more (justifiably) celebrated, winning a Cultural Medallion in 2012.
Even today, some may question the value that arts and the humanities bring. For me, I think that any society, however richly endowed with material goods and financial wealth, remains impoverished without the corresponding gifts that stem from sporting achievements, artistic creations, musical compositions, and the accomplishments of the written word. It is such intangible elements that make a modern society truly attractive to live in.
We sometimes forget the difficult road that pioneers in any field have to traverse, especially when they push for ideas before their time. But we can all be thankful that they persisted, and that their efforts, while unappreciated by their contemporaries, have made the world a better place today.
Postscript: You may see some of his artwork on his Facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/sg.hohoying

1667573366125.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus attended a slightly belated Deepavali celebrations over the past weekend. :wink:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
We held our (slightly belated) Deepavali celebrations over the past weekend. Although the event was held at the #Buangkok division of the estate, we were delighted that residents from across #SengkangGRC made the trek down to join us in our festivities.
Participants included many Indian families, of course, but we were heartened to see Chinese and Malay families join us as well—a testament to the multicultural tapestry that is Singapore. Perhaps most gratifying was the large number of kids who were happily getting into the various arts and craft activities that were available (as well as two mini claw machine games).
Thanks to all #TeamSengkang volunteering for the enormous amount effort they put into the planning and execution of the event, and to the hundreds of families that showed up: thanks for taking the time to swing by, and we hope to see you at our next grassroots event!

1667823747230.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Last week, #TeamSengkang wrapped up 320B #Anchorvale during our house visits, and our estate walk took us to the Cove cluster. Our conversations were warm and insightful.
A repeated concern these days seems to be the high cost of living. Residents shared that they understand that inflation is a global phenomenon, and that Singapore isn’t insulated (the academic in me is deeply gratified by their recognition of the openness of our economy). Even so, they expressed concern that it was difficult to cope. After all, even if official inflation for necessities like food may seem reasonably contained at 7 percent, the lived experience of someone who faces sticker shock when prices appear to have doubled at their cai png stall.
This divergence between posted prices and the official inflation rate is due to the fact that everyone’s true inflation rate is going to be different. If you tend to eat out—and consume a lot more chicken or mutton or eggs in your diet—you’d feel the pinch a great deal more than vegetarians that cook at home. Similarly, if you rely on private hires or taxis to get to your routine medical appointments or pick your kids up from their grandparents’, the sting from higher prices for these services will hit you harder than if you are a regular user of public transport.
The government has helped mainly lower-income groups out with various voucher and payout schemes. Depending on your lifestyle, this may or may not have made up for the spike in prices due to inflation. But I feel that additional relief to help middle-class folks cope with higher prices of daily necessities will not only be welcome, but is sorely needed. #SengkangGRC

1668084958446.png

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

2 d ·

The Workers' Party

2 d ·
In his speech yesterday on the Carbon Pricing Bill, Jamus Lim suggested that the transition to a higher carbon tax should be adapted to current economic conditions. He also spoke about how MAS and an ExIm bank can both assist in the transition to a greener economy.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses carbon tax. :cool:

Jamus Lim

3 h ·
Last night, #TeamSengkang completed our rounds at 317A #Anchorvale. We had the usual mix of feedback, but one conversation stuck with me. A resident shared with me that he had heard that there had been a debate over the carbon tax in parliament, and wished to understand what the fuss was all about. I was able to explain the #workersparty position, which was that we hoped for a higher level of the carbon tax, but we hoped for greater flexibility in getting there. In particular, I had argued for a carbon tax rate that would adjust
to economic conditions; a little lower when times are bad, and a little higher when things are going well, so that on average we still impose the same amount.
Minister Foo had felt that such uncertainty would be detrimental for business. I respectfully disagree. It’s true that businesses, in general, crave certainty in policy. But in many cases, certainty of the overall trajectory of taxes is sufficient. So if—in response to a recession—taxes go down, firms will be more than happy to take the relief, and then pay more taxes subsequently to make up for the earlier relief, when times are better. Such context-sensitive taxes are the essence of stabilization policy.
While I do not expect the average citizen to follow every issue that is discussed in Parliament—life is busy, and it is reasonable to outsource the more technical aspects of policymaking to our legislators and civil servants—it is nevertheless heartening when our citizens take an interest in policy matters that make a difference to all our lives, even when the topic is otherwise doozy. Ensuring a sustainable economy is important for making sure we leave behind a better earth for our children. #SengkangGRC

1668177729280.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus enjoys a chocolate cake. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
I had a lunch meeting earlier this week, and for dessert, the kitchen sent over a lovely message along with a delicious dessert (like my wife and daughter, we have an unenviable weakness for chocolate). Based on the message, it could well have been from one of our residents at #SengkangGRC.
I am always very grateful of such little notes of appreciation, since that’s one of the few rewards for being in public service. But at the same time, I am also very mindful that we serve at the behest of our voters. This makes them our bosses, a fact that I occasionally joke about with my residents, but one that I actually truly believe, and try my best to reflect in what #TeamSengkang does.

1668343185557.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus congratulates all winners. :wink:

Jamus Lim

8 h ·
Over the weekend, the Youth Wing held the closing session of its biannual policy challenge, where three finalists presented motions on issues . As the deputy policy head of the #workersparty, I joined in to offer my input and suggestions to the participating teams, which we evaluated on the basis of content, persuasiveness, and language (which broadly correspond to the three ancient discourse disciplines of logic, rhetoric, and grammar).
I started my own policymaking journey in a somewhat serendipitous fashion. Like many PhD-trained economists, I had been socialized into thinking that breaking into the high priesthood of academia was the ultimate calling. So while I did apply to some policy outfits, I was happy to accept a tenure-track offer at a small liberal arts college, dreaming of tweed and dusty hardcovers in wood-paneled libraries.
As it turned out, the year where I had applied to the World Bank—where I subsequently worked for 7 years—had postponed hiring for their entry-level postgraduate program (known as the Young Professionals Program) by a year. But after successfully jumping through the hoops the following year, the opportunity to learn about the inner workings of a major international financial institution was simply too tempting to pass up. This began my (still-unfolding) path into the policy world.
One important lesson I’ve learned over the years of transitioning between academia, policy, and the private sector is that there isn’t any one route that trumps the others. Academics have a strong analytical framework to understand the world, but can become too wrapped up in theoretical constructs. Policymakers may have a better grasp of real-world concerns, but they often lack the rigor to break down a problem in a systematic, structured manner. And businesspeople—while usually practical and nimble—may take shortcuts that compromise quality, while also failing to see the big picture.
Despite working in all these different job settings, I won’t claim to be necessarily better at navigating these differences than others. But I am aware of how these different perspectives are all important, and inform good policymaking. This is the sort of dexterous mindset that I hope that our budding policy entrepreneurs will also learn to embrace and nurture.
Congrats to all winners, and thanks to all those who participated! Your involvement itself already bodes well for the future of an engaged, informed, and democratic Singaporean society.

1668432549683.png