• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
As one commenter pointed out, the mask is available via Fleshimp on Instagram, in case anyone wants to buy one. :thumbsup:

1605619110197.png

jw5

Loyal
From MSN news:

Jamus Lim reflects on his decision to study in the US after rejecting Oxford offer

1606221209004.png

Workers’ Party (WP) MP Jamus Lim reflected on his decision to reject an offer from the University of Oxford to pursue his Masters degree at a less-popular school in the United States, in a recent social media post.

Dr Lim, a Raffles Institution alumnus, obtained a Bachelor of Business in economics from the University of Southern Queensland in Australia in 1998. He then pursued a Master of Science in economics from the London School of Economics in 2000.

After this, Dr Lim chose to further his studies in the US and went on to the University of California, Santa Cruz, where he graduated in 2006 with a Master of Arts in politics and a doctorate in international economics.

In a Facebook post published on Sunday afternoon (22 Nov), Dr Lim reflected on this time in his life and how difficult his decision to study in the US was. Revealing that he had to decline offers from prestigious British institutions like Oxford and the University of Warwick, he wrote online:

“I have many fond, enduring memories of my years in Santa Cruz, California. I’ll be the first to admit that the decision to head there was a challenging one. After my masters, I had acceptances for MPhil programs at Oxford and Warwick.

“But I really wanted to complete my PhD in the United States; yet I had failed to secure offers from any other programs that I had applied to there. Although UC-Santa Cruz had (at the time) the largest faculty in North America working on issues in international finance—my chosen field—it was definitely not a well-trodden path, especially for a Singaporean, where brand names are often celebrated.”

The decision ultimately paid off, with Dr Lim completing his studies as well as meeting his future wife. Sharing that the experience reinforced the importance of self-belief, Dr Lim said that he had to convince himself that he did not need a brand name school to validate his abilities.

Providing valuable lessons for the youth of today, Dr Lim wrote: “What the experience did eventually bring me—beyond meeting my American family and some of my closest friends—was the importance of self-belief.

“I had to convince myself that my abilities were not diminished in any way by a single choice, that I didn’t require validation from the school I went to, and that one’s educational institution marked only the beginning, rather than the end, of one’s professional journey.

“I also learned the importance of looking beyond labels in life, to recognize the value that everyone has—and hence can contribute—to making the world we inhabit just that slightly bit better.”

Dr Lim went on to graduate from Harvard University with a Master of Liberal Arts in history in 2018. He worked at the World Bank for seven years, from 2007 to 2014, and served as an economist at the Institute for Southeast Asian Studies and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority. He joined Singapore-based independent investment management firm Thirdrock in 2018.

Dr Lim is also an associate professor of economics at ESSEC Business School in Singapore and was elected to the council of the Economic Society of Singapore (ESS) in July this year. Earlier that same month, he was elected to Parliament at Sengkang GRC for the first time in his very first run at the polls.

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

During another WP walkabout, Sengkang GRC MP Jamus Lim was quick to offer help to a cancer-stricken resident, after finding out that she has been going for her chemotherapy treatments alone since her daughter is stuck abroad.

In a Facebook post published on Saturday (24 Oct), Dr Lim said that he found out that Mdm Zhuang is living alone in her daughter’s apartment during a series of house visits on Friday evening (23 Oct). Mdm Zhuang’s daughter is working overseas and cannot return home to accompany her mother to the hospital because of travel restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

Some Sengkang GRC residents concerned after HDB blocks get painted red

1606657605078.png

Sengkang GRC MP Louis Chua Kheng Wee revealed last week that some of his residents were unhappy with the red colour scheme that was selected for HDB façade repainting works, even though the colour scheme was chosen by popular vote.

Mr Chua, a first-time MP who was elected in the July election, revealed that Repair & Redecoration (R&R) works are currently underway at a cluster of blocks in his Rivervale division of Sengkang GRC.

While most residents were happy that the blocks were being refreshed and repainted, the MP said he “received feedback from a few residents who were literally seeing red after the repainting was done, and have expressed concerns over the choice of colours.”

The Workers’ Party (WP) politician looked into the issue and noted that the colour schemes were proposed by the Residents’ Committee and was selected through a survey of residents.

Almost 41 per cent of residents selected the red colour scheme, while 26 per cent opted for a blue colour scheme and 24 per cent chose yellow. Only seven per cent of residents wished to stick with the original paint colours.

Revealing that the survey results were displayed on the ground floor notice board at the blocks, Mr Chua said that the decision of the residents would have to be respected. Pointing out that it would not be wise to repaint the blocks once again, he wrote:

“Given that the choice of colours was decided upon by the majority of residents, and that a proper process was in place, we’ll have to respect the decision of the residents in this instance.

“Further, significant amounts of monies have already been incurred for the R&R works, and it would not be financially prudent to carry out another repainting exercise.”

Mr Chua and his team spoke to the residents who were concerned and explained the situation. Revealing that the residents were understanding, he promised to use the experience as a learning point for Sengkang Town Council (SKTC) and pay closer attention to such matters in the future.

He wrote: “I’m glad that residents whom we’ve spoken to do understand the situation at hand. Nonetheless, we will be using this experience as a learning point for SKTC, and we will be paying close attention to the choice of colours and block repainting designs going forward.”

SKTC is Singapore’s youngest town council and was created this year after Mr Chua and his colleagues – He Ting Ru, Jamus Lim and Raeesah Khan – won Sengkang GRC at the polls.

The fight for the ward, which was newly carved out ahead of the 2020 election, saw three prominent ruling party parliamentarians get ousted in a historic upset by an opposition team consisting mostly of first-time candidates.

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

Anchorvale resident tells Jamus Lim, “Cost of living rises faster than salaries” in construction

1606745171718.png

Singapore—Jobs, as well as the presence of migrant workers, are important issues for many Singaporeans, especially now, as the country seeks to recover from the economic impact of the Covid pandemic. It’s no wonder that these topics are discussed by residents when Members of Parliament go on their walkabouts.

MP Jamus Lim (Workers’ Party – Sengkang GRC) took to Facebook on Sunday (Nov 29) to write about one resident from Anchorvale who told him that in his experience in the construction industry, the issue is not that Singaporeans don’t want to work in that sector. The issue is that the cost of living nowadays has risen faster than the salaries they’re given.

Dr Lim, an Associate Professor in Economics, along with fellow Sengkang MP Louis Chua, stopped by the coffee shop at 330 Anchorvale to talk to residents who were having breakfast.

The two MPs met a man named Daniel, who works in construction.

Dr Lim wrote that Daniel had expressed “his appreciation for our alternative voices in Parliament,” as well as talked about the issues that Singaporean workers face in the construction sector, “which he felt was inundated by foreign workers.”

Daniel made it clear, however, that he has no negative feelings about foreigners on a personal level. In fact the person he was having breakfast with was a friend from the Philippines.

Dr Lim wrote that Daniel “felt that Singaporeans were being shortchanged in terms of opportunities and, perhaps more importantly, salaries.”
Daniel explained to the Workers’ Party MPs, “It wasn’t that Singaporeans didn’t want jobs in construction…. It was that the cost of living was rising faster than salaries, which precluded more locals from pursuing such jobs.”

Dr Lim went on to write that one of the arguments that the WP has long held is that the labor share of income in Singapore is too low. This is a chronic problem in specific industries, including construction.

“Suppressing wages by deploying foreign workers may seem like a panacea for keeping costs down, but it also discourages the more intensive utilization of complementary capital, which would raise labor productivity (and, ultimately, wages),” he added.

The WP MP also wrote that overly relying on low-cost labor may possibly prevent “the sort of innovative deployment of labor and capital that is essential to elevating (true) total factor productivity.”

He added that the party is not against migrant workers, similar to how Daniel feels, but the WP wants to make sure that “the incentives for hiring Singaporeans are not gamed, that foreign talent that we hire truly bring something to the table that Singaporeans lack, and that the flow of foreigners into the country is well-managed.”

He wrote that this is the kind of sustainable immigration policy that the WP would like to see develop in Singapore.

His remarks were in keeping with what he said in another Facebook post from Oct 17, when Dr Lim wrote that “Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner.”

“Singapore has always been a migrant nation, and I believe that we are made stronger by earnest immigrants who contribute to our economy and make us a more diverse and sophisticated nation.

I have also routinely stated my impression that Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner; they just want to have a fair chance in their competition for jobs and opportunities, and to be supported by the government for the sacrifices they have rendered as citizens.”

—/TISG

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

“Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner” – Jamus Lim

1606837169477.png

Sengkang GRC MP Jamus Lim reiterated his view that Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner in a social media post published after he met residents who hoped to become Singapore citizens one day.

Dr Lim met a father residing at Block 313A Anchorvale Rd during house visits on Saturday morning (17 Oct) and said that he was struck by his conversation with the resident who is a long-time Permanent Resident (PR).

Sharing a photo of himself, the resident, and the resident’s son, the Workers’ Party (WP) member expressed his view that Singaporeans are not anti-immigrant but just want a fair chance at opportunities and appreciation for their sacrifices. He wrote: “I was struck, in particular, by the sharing of two residents. One, Wisnu, shared with me how he was a long-time PR and hoped to become a citizen someday.

“Singapore has always been a migrant nation, and I believe that we are made stronger by earnest immigrants who contribute to our economy and make us a more diverse and sophisticated nation.

“I have also routinely stated my impression that Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner; they just want to have a fair chance in their competition for jobs and opportunities, and to be supported by the government for the sacrifices they have rendered as citizens.”

Dr Lim also found his conversation with another resident significant. Revealing that the discussion with this constituent, Siew, was centered on the diversity in views the WP brings to Parliament, the first-term MP said that the process of debate is beneficial even if the WP’s policies are not always adopted:

“The other, Siew, also spoke of diversity—this time, of diversity in viewpoints and opinions. He felt that what the #workersparty brought to Parliament was exactly the sort of discussion we need for national policy.”

“I agree; even if the policies that we propose don’t always end up being adopted, I believe that the process of agitation and debate is healthy, since it is entails a competition of ideas.”

jw5

Loyal
More house visits by Jamus. :thumbsup:

1606925452705.png

Since #Parliament ended late on Thursday evening, we were not able to conduct our regularly-scheduled house visits that night. So this morning, we completed our visit of households in Block 313A.

I was struck, in particular, by the sharing of two residents. One, Wisnu (pictured here in matching tees with his son, Ken) shared with me how he was a long-time PR and hoped to become a citizen someday. Singapore has always been a migrant nation, and I believe that we are made stronger by earnest immigrants who contribute to our economy and make us a more diverse and sophisticated nation. I have also routinely stated my impression that Singaporeans are not instinctively anti-foreigner; they just want to have a fair chance in their competition for jobs and opportunities, and to be supported by the government for the sacrifices they have rendered as citizens.

The other, Siew, also spoke of diversity—this time, of diversity in viewpoints and opinions. He felt that what the #workersparty brought to Parliament was exactly the sort of discussion we need for national policy. I agree; even if the policies that we propose don’t always end up being adopted, I believe that the process of agitation and debate is healthy, since it is entails a competition of ideas. #SengkangGRC #TeamSengkang

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

Interested in coding? New WP MPs to hold beginner’s workshop with Shopee

1607002258026.png

Singapore — Three new Workers’ Party (WP) MPs — Mr Gerald Giam, Mr Leon Perera and Associate Professor Jamus Lim — are set to run a beginner’s coding workshop in partnership with Singapore-based e-commerce platform, Shopee.

Jointly organised by the Aljunied Constituency Committee and Shopee, the online workshop will teach participants how to code in Python. It will include a hands-on session, in which participants can learn how to build a chatbot.

Mr Giam, Mr Perera and A/Prof Lim will take part in the workshop alongside Shopee’s head of regional operations & people team, Mr Lim Teck Yong. The workshop, which will be held over video conferencing app Zoom, will take place on Monday (Dec 14) from 2 to 4.30 pm.

Only 50 spots are available for the workshop. Those who want to attend may sign up at this website by 11.59 pm on Dec 9.

Mr Giam and Mr Perera, both former WP Non-Constituency MPs, were fielded as part of its team for Aljunied GRC in this year’s General Election, after two incumbent WP MPs stepped down.

Although opposition legend Low Thia Khiang and Mr Chen Show Mao were not in the new WP Aljunied team, the party was re-elected with a resounding mandate of nearly 60 per cent – its best result since it first won the GRC in 2011.

A/Prof Lim, an economist, was elected at his first attempt in electoral politics. He was in the WP’s four-member team for the new Sengkang GRC. The WP team won the GRC in a historic upset, unseating three People’s Action Party office-holders. /TISG

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

Jamus Lim not only praises Singapore’s hawker culture, he learns to make popiahs from scratch too

1607094890663.png

After joining volunteers from Anchorvale at a popiah-skin making workshop, Jamus Lim wrote about how crucial it is to preserve Singapore’s hawker culture.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Dec 1), the Sengkang GRC Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) wrote that during the workshop, he learnt the “the painstaking craft of handmade popiah-skin making”.

At Kway Guan Huat Joo Chiat Popiah, where the workshop was conducted by one Michael, Mr Lim wrote that he learnt that the former gave up a career in pharmacy to uphold the family tradition.

Mr Lim added: “Our local hawker landscape—which is on the verge of #UNESCO recognition as an intangible cultural heritage for humanity—is an important part of what makes us Singaporean (read: we like our food)”.

He continued that when descendants of hawkers make the “bold decision to continue on their family’s hawking tradition, we should all applaud the gumption they demonstrate in pursuing an increasingly forsaken career path, since it preserves something that we all treasure”.

Local food guru and champion for all things hawker, KF Seetoh, recently gave a final push towards the UNESCO award for Hawker Culture.

In a Facebook post on Monday (Nov 16), Mr Seetoh, the founder of Makansutra and champion for all things hawker, shared that during a National Heritage Board (NHB) focus group in early 2018, a group of respectable foodies including Violet Oon, Azizah Ali and even Koh Seng Choon of Dignity Kitchen, came to discuss – what next, after the Botanic Gardens, for another Unesco Award.

Mr Seetoh wrote:
I raised my fat finger and uttered “Hawker Culture” (not food, but culture) and the group had a lively discussion on the merits”.

On 27 March 2019, Singapore officially submitted its nomination to inscribe Hawker Culture in Singapore on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

In his post, Mr Seetoh continued: “I can sense we are in the cusps of getting the award and i hear the buzz of agencies like NEA shuffling about to do a follow up event to celebrate the impending award”.

Praising the National Environment Agency (NEA) for championing the 6,000 or so public hawkers, Mr Seetoh added that he hoped they could also “champion the wet market hawkers who are also hawkers and are clients of NEA too”. /TISG

jw5

Loyal
From onlinecitizenasia.com:

WP’s Jamus Lim talks about CPF savings with three-generation family in Anchorvale

1607271597538.png

The Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) for Sengkang GRC Jamus Lim came across a family represented by three generations during one of his house visits in Anchorvale on Thursday (3 Dec).

Mr Lim had a long conversation with the Wong family on a wide range of topics, including his Sengkang team’s campaign, life as a parliamentarian, Singapore’s political and economic prospects, and their views on national policies.

“I always find such discussions fascinating, because they vividly display the very disparate interests that different generations carry,” he wrote on his Facebook on Friday (4 Dec).

However, one topic that appears to “cut across generations” during their conversation is the matter of Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings.

Mr Lim noted that for the older generation, there are questions about whether existing limits for Medisave utilisation are adequate, especially in light of rising medical costs.

“With CPF often tapped on to purchase flats, those still in the workforce increasingly worry about retirement adequacy, especially as rising house prices means that a larger share of incomes are now devoted just to securing a roof over their heads, rather than contributing toward retirement,” he added.

As for the youngest generation, Mr Lim argued that their parents’ CPF is sometimes tapped on to help with school fees, which would further chip away at their parents’ retirement pot.

He went on to say that the WP has advanced a number of suggestions related to CPF usage in its manifesto.

According to the Sengkang MP, these include easier withdrawal of excess balances during times of crisis, lowering the payout eligibility age to 60, allowing easier extended-family transfer of CPF balances, and widening Medisave uses for the elderly.

Mr Lim went on to express how important interacting with residents is to him.

“There are days when, like all humans, I feel tired or discouraged about political service. But I always find strength – and a surprising ability to recharge – when I return to grassroots work, and remind myself of the lives I am trying to help in what we do,” he remarked.

jw5

Loyal
From theindependent:

Jamus Lim: Supporter’s kombucha gift a simple act full of meaning

1607357048303.png

Singapore — Every other Monday, a supporter stops by and drops off a bottle of home-brewed kombucha, an appreciative Associate Professor Jamus Lim said in a Facebook post on Monday (Nov 23).

The Workers’ Party Member of Parliament (MP) for Sengkang GRC wrote that the supporter comes to hand him the bottle at his Meet-the-People Session at Block 308A in Anchorvale Road. A/Prof Lim is responsible for Anchorvale ward in the GRC.

He added: “For me, such seemingly simple acts of creativity and expression are a testament to the deep reservoir of entrepreneurial and innovative potential that Singaporeans actually possess.”

“If we are (mis)characterized as boring, by-the-book workers, it is only because our system has struggled with helping our people achieve their full, diverse, and unconventional potential, and allowing the pursuit of such aspirations to be a laudable and lucrative career path,” he said.

Kombucha is a fermented, lightly effervescent, sweetened black or green tea drink commonly consumed for its supposed health benefits.

A/Prof Lim added that the supporter, Marvin, said that he is part of a Kombucha Club, and has been playing around with recipes from the 1980s.

He added: “We share the bottle among our volunteers for the evening, and have enjoyed not just the original style, but also flavors such blackcurrant, chrysanthemum, ginger-and-honey, lime, and (my favorite) rose.”

The MP called the kombucha a real treat “(for our spirits as well as guts) after a long evening of helping residents with their different challenges”.

A/Prof Lim shared a photo of the bottle, which was named “Mallet and Cockles”. The label also read: “Product of Sengkang.” /TISG