• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Singapore—Dr Jamus Lim, Member of Parliament for Sengkang GRC, penned a thoughtful post looking back at the past year, noting that it’s been “a significant learning experience” for him as a newcomer to the country’s political arena.

The Workers’ Party’s Dr Lim, an assistant professor in Economics at ESSEC Business School, arguably had the most stellar rise to fame among all the new politicians this year. Many Singaporeans paid attention to Dr Lim during July’s General Election, especially after his performance in a televised debate.

Despite coming face to face with candidates from different parties who were older and had far more experience than he did, including longtime PAP MP and Foreign Affairs Minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Dr Lim’s intelligence shone through.

On Tuesday, Dec 29, he wrote about the last meet-the-people session (MPS) at Anchorvale, which had been held on the previous night, underlining how important these sessions are.

He said that the MPS is “the surest opportunity to represent the residents that have placed their trust in us. It is a responsibility that we all take very seriously, and I hope that I have offered an empathetic ear, as you’ve entrusted me with your problems, concerns, and appeals.”

And, as a newbie to public service, he has also called these sessions “a significant learning experience,” and pledged to do even better in the year to come.

“I promise I will continue to listen, to understand, and to offer the best advice that I can. If I have fallen short in any way, I will do my best to improve. And I hope that the people of #SengkangGRC will continue to exercise patience as we strive to be your champions, even if an inadvertent mistake or oversight occasionally creeps in.”

The best reward as a politician, he added, is discovering that “we have been able to successfully help our residents in their times of need.”

He thanked the team of volunteers who have made the MPS in Sengkang possible, making special mention of his “core gang—Vic, Cat, and Choong Yong—without whose collective experience, dedication, and support I would never have seen it through the past six months.”

Speculation that Dr Lim would contest in this year’s election first came about in March, when he was featured in a Facebook post of Ms Lee Li Lian, the WP’s deputy-treasurer.

Ms Lee is also a former MP who represented the Punggol East SMC, which is now part of Sengkang GRC.

Dr Lim studied at Harvard University, London School of Economics, University of Southern Queensland, and the University of California, Santa Cruz, as well as Raffles Junior College and Raffles Institution.

Furthermore, he also worked at the World Bank and JP Morgan.

In the same month, Dr Lim was featured in AsiaOne, in an article entitled, “WP’s potential GE candidate is an RI, Harvard and LSE grad.” The following day, Mothership put out an article, “Workers’ Party could field Jamus Lim, economics professor, Harvard grad & RI boy, in Sengkang GRC” about Mr Lim. The subtitle: ‘Big brain energy.’ —/TISG

jw5

Loyal
From yahoo news:

Raeesah Khan gives birth to daughter; second Sengkang MP to give birth in a week

1609676177605.png

SINGAPORE — Sengkang GRC Member of Parliament Raeesah Khan announced the birth of her second child on Saturday (2 January), becoming the second MP of the Workers’ Party’s (WP) Sengkang team to give birth this week.

On Thursday, He Ting Ru and husband, WP member Terence Tan, announced the arrival of their third son on Wednesday. The couple’s two older sons are aged two and three.

On Saturday, Raeesah put up a post on her Facebook page with a photo of her and her husband Mahadhir Caffoor, holding their second child, daughter Ayla.

“Proud parents to baby Ayla! We had a rocky start but both of us are recovering well. Thank you for all your well wishes,” she wrote in her Facebook post.

According to her Wikipedia page, she gave birth to her first child, son Raees Khan, on 12 July 2019, after marrying Mahadhir in July 2018.

Raeesah was elected to WP's Central Executive Committee on Sunday, together with the rest of her Sengkang GRC MPs He, Dr Jamus Lim and Louis Chua.

jw5

Loyal
From yahoo news:

Sengkang MP He Ting Ru welcomes new baby son, thanks WP members for their help

1609776126012.png

SINGAPORE — Sengkang GRC MP He Ting Ru has welcomed the latest addition to her family with the arrival of a baby boy and thanked her fellow Workers’ Party (WP) members for their help while she goes on her maternity leave.

WP member Terence Tan, He’s husband, announced the arrival of their third son on Wednesday (30 December) in a post on Facebook on the same day. The couple’s two older sons are aged two and three.

In a post of her Facebook page on New Year’s Eve, He shows a photo of her holding her newborn son alongside fellow Sengkang MPs Jamus Lim and Louis Chua, who visited her in hospital.

“Incredibly lucky and blessed to have them and the rest of Team WP doing the heavy lifting, especially over the next few months. A special shout-out and thank you too to the amazing healthcare staff working through the festive period and new year, taking excellent care of all of us,” He said.

The other Sengkang MP, Raeesah Khan, is due to give birth soon. WP members such as former party chief Low Thia Khiang will be helping Raeesah and He with their duties in their respective constituencies while the two MPs are on maternity leave.

He, Raeesah, Dr Lim and Chua were elected into the WP’s central executive committee, following the party’s elections last Sunday.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good...I hope wp loose Shitkang GRC next erection. Instead of consolidating the gains etc. They are busy getting knocked up. Hope Shitkang goes the way of Slumggol East.

jw5

Loyal
Good...I hope wp loose Shitkang GRC next erection. Instead of consolidating the gains etc. They are busy getting knocked up. Hope Shitkang goes the way of Slumggol East.

Vote Opposition Until PAP Becomes The Opposition. :wink:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vote Opposition Until PAP Becomes The Opposition. :wink:
Why should I vote for a political party that is quiet all the time n talk shit in parleement? Why should I vote for selfish MPs who only wants to open their legs n get knocked up? Are they putting the interest of their constituents 1st? For this case. Voting for WP is no different to voting for the pap

jw5

Loyal
Why should I vote for a political party that is quiet all the time n talk shit in parleement? Why should I vote for selfish MPs who only wants to open their legs n get knocked up? Are they putting the interest of their constituents 1st? For this case. Voting for WP is no different to voting for the pap

Vote Opposition i.e. anything but PAP first, sort out the wheat from the chaff later. :cool:

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Sengkang GRC MPs take on deputy roles within new Workers’ Party CEC

1610199680777.png

The four Members of Parliament (MPs) representing Sengkang GRC have been given deputy roles in the new Workers’ Party (WP) Central Executive Committee (CEC), according to a list of appointment holders released by the opposition party on Wednesday (6 Jan).

The four MPs – He Ting Ru, Jamus Lim, Raeesah Khan and Louis Chua – were among five new members who were elected into the party’s highest decision making body in the biennial internal election that took place on 27 Dec. Dr Lim was made deputy head of the policy research team while Mr Chua is the deputy head of the WP’s media team.

Ms Khan has taken over the deputy treasurer from former Punggol East MP Lee Li Lian. Ms Lee, who mentored the young MPs and serves as one of the Sengkang GRC town councillors, is no longer in the CEC.

Ms He was made a deputy organising secretary, alongside longtime party member Kenneth Foo Seck Guan who served in the same role from 2016 to 2018.

Mr Foo’s East Coast GRC running mate, Nicole Seah, is the only other new entrant to the CEC aside from the Sengkang GRC MPs. She was chosen as the president of WP’s youth wing.

WP chief Pritam Singh and chairman Sylvia Lim were re-elected to their respective roles on 27 Dec and the remaining 12 appointments in the party’s leadership were approved during a CEC meeting on Tuesday (5 Jan).

Former WP secretary-general Low Thia Khiang and ex-Hougang SMC MP Png Eng Huat continue as committee members. Aljunied GRC MP Faisal Manap and Hougang MP Dennis Tan retained their posts as vice-chairman and party organising secretary, respectively.

Aljunied GRC MP Gerald Giam also continues to be the party’s treasurer, with an additional new role as the head of the WP’s policy research team. His colleague Leon Perera was made the head of the media team.

jw5

Loyal
From TOC:

‘No issue is too small’: WP’s Jamus Lim assures Anchorvale resident he will do his best to resolve any issue

1610469009794.png

The Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) for Sengkang GRC Jamus Lim recently resumed his house visits after a brief break for the year-end holiday period.

In a Facebook post last Friday (8 Jan), Assoc Prof Lim shared about a conversation he had with a resident named Slamat while he was visiting families in Block 329 to 331 in the Anchorvale cluster.

“Along the way, I met with Slamat, who invited us into his place for some Coke,” he wrote.

The resident told Assoc Prof Lim that he had seen him and his team at their weekly meet-the-people (MPS) sessions, adding that he had wanted to step forward to share about certain estate-related issues that he was facing.

However, he decided against speaking out as he “felt embarrassed to do so in lieu of people more pressing matters”.

Upon hearing this, Assoc Prof Lim assured him that “no issue – whether those requesting MP representation, or those related to daily living in the town – was too small”.

He went on to say that he will do his best to help resolve any of these issues.

Assoc Prof Lim concluded his post saying, “After all, it is not just my duty to do so, but also a privilege to be in a position where I can help make things better.”

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

WP’s Jamus Lim draws attention to importance of one’s mental health

Singapore — Opposition Member of Parliament Jamus Lim (Workers’ Party — Sengkang GRC) has posted about an online survey on mental health in Singapore, sharing about the challenges citizens may face.

The online survey was conducted by the mental health service group Lives of SG in late 2020. The survey, regarding the mental health of Singaporean residents aged nine to 56, had more than 250 responses.

The organiser of the survey, Lives of SG, is a non-profit initiative led by a team of volunteers to improve the awareness of mental health conditions and provide support to young professionals. They aim to reduce mental health stigma, increase awareness of mental health issues, increase access to critical care and tackle workplace depression.

Associate Professor Lim, who is 44, expressed concern about the results of the survey, which showed that citizens in his age group (35-44 years old) were the ones who were suffering the most.

He shared about how those in this age group face the most stress, due to needing to take care of both their elderly parents, as well as their young children. Or as he dubs it, the midlife “sandwich”. This stress was evident in the results of the survey, with the top 3 concerns of respondents being family, health and money. This was met with agreement from those in the same age group.

A/Prof Lim noted that, in the past, many would make fun of mental health by threatening to send people to the Institute of Mental Health (then known as Woodbridge) when they committed silly acts. However, as mental health increases in prominence, he shares that he is now mature, and also more aware of the seriousness of mental health. He also said that he understands the importance of receiving help when dealing with mental illnesses.

The post was met by overwhelming support from netizens, who agreed with his statement regarding the importance of mental health. Many also expressed their appreciation of his shedding light on mental health.

A/Prof Lim says that, as someone who deeply values the workings of the mind, he maintains a keen interest in mental health matters.