• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rolex Submariner 116610LN - Full Review ONE whole HOUR!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody actually needs any sort of watch mechanical or quartz nowadays. They are objects of desire and nothing more. $500 gets you an apple watch that can save your life. What else can give you same value for money?
true. it actually saved the life of my desi tenant. she went to the 2nd storey balcony of my sillycon valley home and accidentally locked herself out as sliding door to balcony was faulty and could latch on the inside if slammed too hard. that was exactly what happened. she slammed the door from balcony to keep cool air inside intact as it was 93f outside. couldn’t get in, couldn’t climb, couldn’t jump. her iphone was inside. but, luckily for her, she wore her apple watch! she called me from the balcony, and i was able to find a spare key to get into the home to unlock the sliding door. it took a couple of hours but she was being baked under the hot afternoon sun. told her to break the glass door with a rod in storage room at balcony during an emergency but she was too dizzy to think straight. anyway she saved my door, and i saved her. otherwise she would die there from heat stroke, and nobody would know until her parents tried to reach her from india. i have to conduct welfare checks on her after that, but nobody conducts welfare checks on me. damn!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
true. it actually saved the life of my desi tenant. she went to the 2nd storey balcony of my sillycon valley home and accidentally locked herself out as sliding door to balcony was faulty and could latch on the inside if slammed too hard. that was exactly what happened. she slammed the door from balcony to keep cool air inside intact as it was 93f outside. couldn’t get in, couldn’t climb, couldn’t jump. her iphone was inside. but, luckily for her, she wore her apple watch! she called me from the balcony, and i was able to find a spare key to get into the home to unlock the sliding door. it took a couple of hours but she was being baked under the hot afternoon sun. told her to break the glass door with a rod in storage room at balcony during an emergency but she was too dizzy to think straight. anyway she saved my door, and i saved her. otherwise she would die there from heat stroke, and nobody would know until her parents tried to reach her from india. i have to conduct welfare checks on her after that, but nobody conducts welfare checks on me. damn!

Desis should be used to 100℉ temperatures. I think she just wanted to be a Drama queen.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
And how did she show her gratitude to you for saving her life?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
A swiss-made watch that's often being overlooked is Glycine. Famous for their aviation watches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycine_Watch

Their Airman was popular with pilots during the Vietnam War.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-glycine-airman-no-1

Prices are really down to earth because they don't believe in having brand ambassadors and sponsorship of sports events. They use ETA movements, and in recent years Sellita. So movement servicing and repairs can be done by almost any watch repairer. I like their aviation series of watches, not so much their diving watches. Invicta now owns Glycine.

glycine DC-4 gl0071.jpg
glycine gl0065 stock photo.jpeg
glycine Airman Bronze GL0166.jpg

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A swiss-made watch that's often being overlooked is Glycine. Famous for their aviation watches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycine_Watch

Their Airman was popular with pilots during the Vietnam War.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-glycine-airman-no-1

Prices are really down to earth because they don't believe in having brand ambassadors and sponsorship of sports events. They use ETA movements, and in recent years Sellita. So movement servicing and repairs can be done by almost any watch repairer. I like their aviation series of watches, not so much their diving watches. Invicta now owns Glycine.

View attachment 86682View attachment 86683View attachment 86684
Yes this was one of the more obscure brands out there. I almost bought the Incursore model 10 years back. Love the big 47mm, clean, contrasty super legible face. Was quoted around $800-$900 if I recalled correctly. Clear back as well. After much thought, gave up idea as I have too many watches liao...

71bqD1Mx7YL._AC_UL1200_.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Yes this was one of the more obscure brands out there. I almost bought the Incursore model 10 years back. Love the big 47mm, clean, contrasty super legible face. Was quoted around $800-$900 if I recalled correctly. Clear back as well. After much thought, gave up idea as I have too many watches liao...

View attachment 86687

"Glycine" sounds like some sort of cleaning agent or medication.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

View attachment 86687
They are priced at what a swiss watch ought to be. You should get one. A few years back, I got the DC-4 and Airmen GMT. Did not pull the trigger on the bronze one because it is 44mm, but I still lust after it. I am disgusted with Rolex and Omega at what they have become. They are tool watches turned into luxury pieces with hefty prices. Having said that, I am glad I got my two rolexes and two omega seamasters bought many years ago. Added the Tudor Pelagos when they launched with their in-house MT movement.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are priced at what a swiss watch ought to be. You should get one. A few years back, I got the DC-4 and Airmen GMT. Did not pull the trigger on the bronze one because it is 44mm, but I still lust after it. I am disgusted with Rolex and Omega at what they have become. They are tool watches turned into luxury pieces with hefty prices. Having said that, I am glad I got my two rolexes and two omega seamasters bought many years ago. Added the Tudor Pelagos when they launched with their in-house MT movement.
Do you collect the Omega Speedmaster too ? That was a very nice model and came with several variations. Was quoted around SGD1800 in the early 2000s. Love that vintage look mixed with the macho-ness. The only bummer was the lack of a date-window but understand that would ruin the symmetry of the watch-face.

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-chronograph-42-mm-31130423001005-l.png

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Do you collect the Omega Speedmaster too ? That was a very nice model and came with several variations. Was quoted around SGD1800 in the early 2000s. Love that vintage look mixed with the macho-ness.

View attachment 86688
Not really keen on chronographs, they clutter the dial:biggrin: So I don't know much about the Speedmasters, so many of them! But I almost bought one used about three/four years ago. It had a date function which is so important. Didn't buy because it was only 39mm and did not have the panda dial. If my memory serves me right, asking was about $1200-1500.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not really keen on chronographs, they clutter the dial:biggrin: So I don't know much about the Speedmasters, so many of them! But I almost bought one used about three/four years ago. It had a date function which is so important. Didn't buy because it was only 39mm and did not have the panda dial. If my memory serves me right, asking was about $1200-1500.
Those were the good old days when watches with the Valjoux 7750 movement were at more humane prices...