• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rolex Submariner 116610LN - Full Review ONE whole HOUR!

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
AVW-Rolex-GMT-Master-16710-Pepsi-1-Front.jpg
Dunno why, the thick bezel really turn off for me.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If I get a Grand Seiko shall I go with a Hi-Beat or the hybrid Spring Drive movement? Accuracy is OK in both but would like info on servicing, durability etc.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I get a Grand Seiko shall I go with a Hi-Beat or the hybrid Spring Drive movement? Accuracy is OK in both but would like info on servicing, durability etc.
If you don't like big, thick watches, then the Springdrive isn't for you.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps I'll try the Titanium Hi-Beat
View attachment 86673
Hi-beat means faster wear and tear and shorter running time. Your money is better spent elsewhere. I had a Seiko diver with a super-accurate 4r15 movement and made a tidy profit from it after keeping it for 10 years.
As someone who has been collecting mech watches from Tag Heuer, Breitling, Fortis and Zodiac from the 90s, I have long since given up this expensive hobby and move into DIY-ing my own watches. You save more money and learn more in the process. A cheap Japanese movement like the Miyota 9015 is just as accurate and reliable as the ubiquitous ETA 2824 movement. The latter's price have risen significantly due to tight control from Swatch group.
Don't forget the price of servicing a high-beat movement could have easily gotten you a new watch. I don't think any watch technician could CLA that movement.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I’ve given up on Swiss watches particularly Rolex years ago. As a screw salesman Rolex also doesn’t match my salesman status. So past few years been wearing Seiko watches.

6 months ago while in Japan pampered myself with a Godzilla my last Seiko purchase

Video I made while unboxing in hotel room

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hi-beat means faster wear and tear and shorter running time. Your money is better spent elsewhere. I had a Seiko diver with a super-accurate 4r15 movement and made a tidy profit from it after keeping it for 10 years.
As someone who has been collecting mech watches from Tag Heuer, Breitling, Fortis and Zodiac from the 90s, I have long since given up this expensive hobby and move into DIY-ing my own watches. You save more money and learn more in the process. A cheap Japanese movement like the Miyota 9015 is just as accurate and reliable as the ubiquitous ETA 2824 movement. The latter's price have risen significantly due to tight control from Swatch group.
Don't forget the price of servicing a high-beat movement could have easily gotten you a new watch. I don't think any watch technician could CLA that movement.

My last Rolex service cost me NZD3800. Previous servicing was around $600 to $900. While the watch itself has appreciated 10x over 39 years the amount spent on servicing has pretty much wiped out most of the profit. You only make good money if you leave it in the original box with receipt etc all intact.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My last Rolex service cost me NZD3800. Previous servicing was around $600 to $900. While the watch itself has appreciated 10x over 39 years the amount spent on servicing has pretty much wiped out most of the profit. You only make good money if you leave it in the original box with receipt etc all intact.
By then lubricants would have completely dried out , affecting its accuracy.
I've come to the conclusion a mechanical watch is simply more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention the weight on your wrist as compared to a quartz watch.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
By then lubricants would have completely dried out , affecting its accuracy.
I've come to the conclusion a mechanical watch is simply more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention the weight on your wrist as compared to a quartz watch.

Nobody actually needs any sort of watch mechanical or quartz nowadays. They are objects of desire and nothing more. $500 gets you an apple watch that can save your life. What else can give you same value for money?