• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu received a letter. :x3:

Chan Chun Sing

10 h ·
I received this letter from an 8-year-old boy recently. I'm heartened to know that as we do our best to shape the future of our nation, our efforts are not in vain.
To the boy who wrote this letter - thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you are finding the joy of learning!

341151468_200218132789066_6567261168995250689_n.jpg

336523283_1285609605687681_5934470913131769878_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu congratulates Ministry of Education, Singapore colleagues. :cool:

Chan Chun Sing

3 d ·
Congratulations to Ministry of Education, Singapore colleagues on your promotions and new appointments!
At the MOE Promotion and Appointment Ceremony, we celebrate this joyous occasion with you as you mark an important milestone in your career.
Thank you for being trailblazers in your various fields – from our kindergartens, to counselling and administration in schools. Your heart work and hard work touch many lives and build up our future generation. I am grateful you are with us on this journey.

340953413_798690521821823_6199422442058716699_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited St Gabriel's Secondary School. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing

10 h ·
At St Gabriel's Secondary School, the best way to start the day is to hear the news of your school’s football team victory at assembly, and then enjoy a book of your choice during the Read-It sessions before lessons begin.
At a corner during assembly, I had a conversation with Evan. He sets an example of servant leadership by encouraging juniors to improve their physical training by a school programme call ActiveSG. The *SG* here stands for St Gabriel’s.
In class, I listened to students sharing about their recent Earth Day experiences. I did a little reflection of my own too - https://fb.watch/jHjTVSIwTy/.
Who knew going through hoops could be fun, especially if you are flying a drone? We might have a next Top Gun in the making as I watched the students move about Flight and Aerospace in their Applied Learning Programme. I believe some of them will have exciting careers in the aviation industry.
#ourschoolstories

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wants to keep improving. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

2 h ·
The ideals of meritocracy resonate with many of us - where success can be forged by skill, diligence, and grit. But no system is perfect and we must keep improving to bring out the best in our people - individually and as a team.
This Government, together with Singaporeans, will:
☑️
Celebrate our people's diverse abilities
☑️
Create more diverse education pathways
☑️
Invest in our people throughout life
☑️
Value "heart" and "hand" work, which is as significant as "head" work
☑️
Uplift the less privileged
☑️
Imbue the right values in every child, so that they may give back to society in future
In a sustainable and resilient meritocracy, people are enabled to achieve and contribute. Singapore can be a beacon of cohesion and grace amidst an increasingly troubled world, if we make meritocracy work better and fairer in our society, together.
Read my full speech at the Debate on the Motion of Address of Thanks for the President's Address here: https://go.gov.sg/moemeritocracy

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wishes all his Muslim friends Selamat Hari Raya. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing

23 h ·
To all our Muslim friends, we wish you Selamat Hari Raya!
☪️
✨

Jambangan indah lagi berseri,
Menjadi hiasan di Aidilfitri,
Ucapan dikirim pengganti diri,
Tanda ingatan tak lupa di hati.
~
A bouquet of flowers bright and beautiful
A beautiful ornament on Aidilfitri
I send my heartfelt wishes to you
As a reminder of how much you mean to me.
Our Tanjong Pagar
Radin Mas Constituency
My Buona Vista

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Education Minister Chan Chun Sing lays out potential pitfalls of meritocracy and how to avoid them​

PP9.jpg

Education Minister Chan Chun Sing said meritocracy has been central to Singapore’s social compact. PHOTO: GOV.SG
ameliateng.png

Amelia Teng
Education Correspondent
UPDATED

19 APR 2023, 5:57 PM SGT

FacebookTwitter

SINGAPORE – A static and narrow metric for defining talent and ability will not help Singapore build a resilient society with diverse strengths to meet future challenges, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing on Tuesday.
Instead, to do justice to the range of people’s gifts, the Republic must have a system of “continuous meritocracy”, where no single test or point in time determines the rest of one’s life.
Speaking in Parliament on the second day of the debate on the President’s Address, Mr Chan said meritocracy has been central to Singapore’s social compact, allowing people to progress through their abilities, rather than birth rights, family connections or inherited wealth.

But he also acknowledged that the system is not perfect, and meritocracy is no “panacea” for all societal challenges. In fact, questions have surfaced worldwide about whether meritocracy is fair in the long term.
Defining success using a single, static and narrow metric can cause society to stagnate and become irrelevant, said Mr Chan.
“As society matures, those who have succeeded under the previous and existing metric will tend to want to perpetuate the same set of yardsticks, sometimes to preserve their personal interests and comfort,” he added.

“Sometimes, they just assume that what has worked well will continue to work in a different future, and don’t think of alternatives that society may need going forward.”

Another potential pitfall is rewarding success based on fixed points in life and time, which then entrench people’s life trajectories, said Mr Chan.
“This cannot be our society. People develop at different paces and demonstrate different abilities at different times,” he said, urging employers and society not to fall into the trap of credentialism and use a single metric.
“We must ensure that there is porosity in the ways that people can earn their spurs, contribute throughout life, and allow them to bounce back from setbacks.”

Meritocracy could also lead to stratification over time, said Mr Chan, as successful individuals create exclusive social circles and pass on their wealth to their children, through assets such as property or access to tuition.
This could lead to an “endowment effect”, where access to opportunities and rewards could increasingly be determined not just by merit but by the transfer of wealth and privileges from previous generations.
Meritocracy then becomes harder for the less privileged, whose relative starting state falls further behind the privileged, he added.

Another danger is the misplaced belief that one’s success is attributed entirely to one’s own talent and hard work, without acknowledging society’s role and the need to give back to the system, said Mr Chan.

Building a Singaporean meritocracy​

He said the Government will continue to move away from evaluating people’s diverse abilities by any single metric – be it examination results, grade point averages, or whether they hold a degree or diploma.
It is also broadening the ways in which students can access education pathways, he added, such as through aptitude-based admissions. Time and space are also being freed up in schools to impart vital life skills to students.
Students will also have more flexibility in post-secondary and tertiary pathways, he said, through upgrading opportunities and being able to spread out their learning.

More Singaporeans can also obtain a degree from the autonomous universities not necessarily before starting work, but at some point in their working lives, said Mr Chan.
The Government will intensify efforts to help people stay relevant and competitive throughout their lives, through continuing education or training, he said. Industries, institutions and individuals must also play their part in this journey of continual upskilling.
Beyond respecting a variety of professions, “heart” and “hand” work must be fairly rewarded, he said.
For example, the Ministry of Education (MOE) is reviewing the pay and career progression pathways in the special education sector, recognising the challenging work educators in this field do and ensuring they have professional development opportunities like mainstream teachers.
Society must be willing to accept higher costs for some services provided by fellow Singaporeans, said Mr Chan. “Otherwise, no matter how much we broaden the definitions of merit in our school system, none of it will ultimately work because it does not translate into tangible differences in earnings and at the workplace.”

The Government will also do more to uplift the less privileged, he said. “This helps us to ensure that gaps in society are not too stark, opening us up to the politics of envy and threatening the harmony of our society.”
“Our ultimate measure of success as a society is not how many people we can help because they are unable to keep up; but how few people we need to help because we have enabled them to thrive.”
To this end, Singaporeans must have the right values and not forget to give back to society, said Mr Chan.
MOE will strengthen its school cluster system for better sharing of resources and allow more students to benefit from wider networks and build their social capital, he added.
Calling on alumni to do their part, Mr Chan said: “Share your networks and opportunities with the next generation of students, not just in your alma mater but in other schools as well, to help them succeed like you did.
“I look forward to the day when our society defines success not just by one’s achievements, but more importantly by one’s contributions.”

jw5

Loyal

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited Canossa Catholic Primary School. :smile:

Chan Chun Sing

7 h ·
Visited Canossa Catholic Primary School, which shares a close partnership with Canossian School, a special education school for students with hearing loss.
I joined a P2 math lesson where students from both schools were solving math problems together and developing social skills at the same time.
Using technology, those with hearing loss were able to keep pace with class activities. They wore customised hearings aids that were connected to a special microphone around their teacher's neck.
Happy to see their faces light up as they interacted and learned alongside each other.
#ourschoolstories

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu thanks delegates. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

1 d ·
Singapore regularly engages like-minded peers on skills education, so that we can better nurture a society of lifelong learners. I am happy to share that a bilateral India-Singapore workshop on the Future of Work took place this morning in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India, on the sidelines of the third meeting of the G20 Education Working Group.
Representatives shared best practices and experiences in implementing skills-based approaches to education across all stages in life, addressing in-demand skills in the job market, recognising upskilling and reskilling efforts and discussed the importance of industry-academia integration.
A big thank you to the delegates from Ministry of Education, Singapore, Ministry of Trade & Industry, Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs, SkillsFuture SG, and ITE Education Services - ITEES who shared Singapore's experiences with our friends from India and to Ministry of Education and Skill India for organising today's meeting.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited Nanyang Polytechnic. :cool:

Chan Chun Sing

1 d ·
Visited Nanyang Polytechnic recently and these students pursuing a Diploma in Food & Beverage Business showcased their culinary and food service skills at L'Rez - a training restaurant fully run by them. Impressed by their tastefully plated three-course meal and mocktails concocted.
L'Rez Training Restaurant at Nanyang Polytechnic is open to public for lunch during the polytechnic term. Contact them for reservations!
#learnwithCCS #ourschoolstories

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited Northland Primary, where Harry Potter, Robin Hood and Snow White waved enthusiastically at him. :o-o::confused::roflmao:

Chan Chun Sing

1 d ·
At Northland Primary, Harry Potter, Robin Hood and Snow White waved enthusiastically at me. It was the school’s dress-up day, where students have the freedom and creativity to come as their favourite character.
They squealed in excitement when they saw each other. All around the school, students and teachers asked, “What are you dressed as? Why did you pick this?”
Two alligators (dressed as ‘InvestiGATORS’) shared their joy of reading and what it takes to solve mysteries with their classmates.
These engaging experiences make learning come alive, and I’m glad to see students and teachers having the joy of learning!

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu gives more help. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing

20 h ·
More help is on the way for some 540,000 Singaporean students aged 7 to 20.
We’re making a one-off $300 top-up to their Edusave account or Post-Secondary Education Account (PSEA) in May 2023, under Budget 2023’s Assurance Package. Together with the Government’s annual Edusave contribution, students will be able to use the funds for approved fees and enrichment programmes.
I hope that this lightens the burden for families and their children, so that they can focus on their studies in school, have every opportunity to succeed and go on to make a difference in the lives of others.
More information can be found here: https://bit.Iy/41NbPx9
1f4f8.png
: Ministry of Finance (Singapore)

342911650_1763006300762153_8264694550988435685_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu had a fruitful trip to Washington D.C., USA. :smile:

Chan Chun Sing

2 d ·
Had a fruitful trip to Washington D.C., USA for the 13th International Summit on the Teaching Profession. Glad to reconnect with fellow education leaders and meet new friends.
Our future is shaped by a faster pace of technological advancements, an increasingly polarised and fragmented world and more diverse perspectives, ideas, and values. With Singapore's only resource being our people, nurturing every Singaporean to their fullest potential and to thrive in an increasingly fluid global environment is a matter of survival.
We had extensive discussions on how we could elevate and enhance the teaching profession, develop globally and culturally competent students, and leverage educational technology to enhance equity in education.
I also visited Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design to learn about their latest institutional developments.
I had the pleasure of meeting and engaging with Singaporeans living in D.C. on the sidelines of the summit. I am heartened by their strong desire to contribute on a global stage while remaining connected to Singapore.