• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which country your ancestors had come from?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Republic of China used to have a law like this till 1980s. Every overseas Chinese can migrate to Taiwan as long as you can prove yourself of Chinese descent. You get your citizenship within a year upon application and staying in Taiwan.
This was Sun Yat Sen wishes that every Chinese ( specifically meaning Southern Chinese ) should return home one day to rebuild the motherland and we Nanyang Chinese were the "mother of revolution." The funds for Tong Mei Hui uprising against Qing mostly come from overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia, North America and Japan. HK and Southeast Asia contributed many men for those uprisings from 1905-11.
That's why that law was made - expressing gratitude to overseas Chinese.

good to hear that! i think i miss out on this part of the history. thanks for sharing. my friend got Taiwanese wife, maybe will check with him.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never said anything about being pinkerton, just that you seem to focus only on the singapore hokkiens. The examples I gave is just to show that it's common in other parts of the world as well. Yes even in Beijing Mandarin 操你娘 or 日你娘 are common terms.

Once again, I reiterate, vulgar vocabularly exists in all languages. But I feel Singlish Hokkien beats them all. That's all.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good to hear that! i think i miss out on this part of the history. thanks for sharing. my friend got Taiwanese wife, maybe will check with him.

from wikipedia

Republic of China passports were issued to overseas Chinese, irrespective of whether they have lived or even set foot in Taiwan. The rationale behind this extension of the principle of jus sanguinis to almost all Chinese regardless of their countries of residence, as well as the recognition of dual citizenships, is to acknowledge the support given by overseas Chinese historically to the Kuomintang regime, particularly during the Republican Revolution of 1911.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality_Law_of_the_Republic_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China_passport

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
1391199211_77505d1c9b_o.jpg

He is from an Alien race no one knows who !

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read that the original thais originated from china. That is why further north of thailand they look rather chinese.

The ancestors of the thais are called tai and i think they still reside in china today. Anyway they escaped from china to escape the mongols and arrived in northern thailand setting up sukhotai. I noticed thailand's history begins in like 1200s unlike china's which began thousands of yrs back.

Anyhow over the yrs they conquered and fought the various kingdoms and thus the thailand of today is formed.

I guess the same can be said of the malays whom come from yunan but they probably didn't escape the mongol hordes but landed in taiwan first before travelling by boat to indonesia and then malaysia.

All this is rather hazy to me, i read a mismash of such info last time so pls don't flame me if i'm wrong.

According to DNA tracing, there were 2 emigration waves that came to south eat asia (and australia). The first wave stuck along the coasts of the asian continent - india, burma, indonesia and then australia. From their fossils they are very similar to the australian aborigines or east timorese. they were the earliest "quitters" hahaha.

The second wave travelled north towards the central asia. they then moved eastwards towards china/japan and downwards to S.E.A.

So the indigenous of SEA aren't purely from yunan. they are most probably a mixture of the 1st and 2nd wave emigrants.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Once again, I reiterate, vulgar vocabularly exists in all languages. But I feel Singlish Hokkien beats them all. That's all.

HK cantonese swearing is definitely more 'colourful' than any other language/dialect i've heard. And believe me. cos I'm an avid learner of all swear/curse words.

And to say that taiwanese hokkien swearing is mild compared to singaporean hokkien, you must go live in southern taiwan to discover for yourself. watching 1000 episodes of 爱 doesn't make you an expert on taiwanese culture.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do shallow Singaporeans love to associate
the Hokkiens or themselves to the Taiwanese ???

The Taiwanese themselves love to disassociate
themselves from Hokkiens here or the mainlanders .

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do shallow Singaporeans love to associate
the Hokkiens or themselves to the Taiwanese ???

The Taiwanese themselves love to disassociate
themselves from Hokkiens here or the mainlanders .

you sound like a 分裂分子to me. Hokkiens Taiwanese all 华人. so whats you point??? r u a Chinese? or u r more atas bcos u r not Chinese?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HK cantonese swearing is definitely more 'colourful' than any other language/dialect i've heard. And believe me. cos I'm an avid learner of all swear/curse words.

And to say that taiwanese hokkien swearing is mild compared to singaporean hokkien, you must go live in southern taiwan to discover for yourself. watching 1000 episodes of 爱 doesn't make you an expert on taiwanese culture.

I have a Kaohsiung g.f. before. There, they didn't speak like in Singlish Hokkien. But perhaps of course, as a temporary guest there, I didn't get to hear the true colors of the wind there.

By the way, you major in Vulgarese is it? :biggrin:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way, you major in Vulgarese is it? :biggrin:

What major? I am working towards a doctorate. I can walk into any bar in New delhi, Beirut, Manila, Vietnam and get stabbed right after a few words.

As a general rule, the southerners of every region tend to be more vulgar. I think it has something to do with the humid weather and strong food flavours. That is the thesis for my phd.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What major? I am working towards a doctorate. I can walk into any bar in New delhi, Beirut, Manila, Vietnam and get stabbed right after a few words.

It's a wonder that you're still alive.

As a general rule, the southerners of every region tend to be more vulgar.

You haven't heard of Britain obviously.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
really surprise to see so many people so interested in their roots in China.

Being Chinese is something to be proud of and treasured, but not arrogant of. And don't despise or shortchange other races with feel of superiority or suppression. Don't whine at other races shortchanging or suppression us; work a fair way out. That's true Chineseness, wherever.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hate those assholes that say teochew nang kar chng ang ang cos hokkien lang kar chng seh tang.

As kids we found it funny and when we watched wildlife documentaries and observed baboons and mandrills with red backsides, it really cracked us up. I still find it funny.

Cheers!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You haven't heard of Britain obviously.

I'm after quality not quantity. inserting "fock" or "shite" between every 2 words is not my definition of the dogs bollocks in the swearing universe.

For a top notch swear phase you got to involve the cultural reference, the rich imagery, the family tree.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm after quality not quantity. inserting "fock" or "shite" between every 2 words is not my definition of the dogs bollocks in the swearing universe.

For a top notch swear phase you got to involve the cultural reference, the rich imagery, the family tree.

A top notch swear involving cultural reference and imaginery is promoted from a swear to a sarcasm.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As kids we found it funny and when we watched wildlife documentaries and observed baboons and mandrills with red backsides, it really cracked us up. I still find it funny.

Cheers!

i guess i can say the same when i see some animal with piles or a rotten backside.