• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which country your ancestors had come from?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fujianese Hokkien and Taiwanese Hokkien, even Malaysian Hokkien are different and certainly more civil and cultured than Singlish Hokkien. They have some vulgarities too but certainly no match for Singlish Hokkien.

Wonder why Hokkien in Singlish evolved to be so vulgar. Even between friends, kan nin naa (fuck your mother) means hello, simi lanjiao (what the cock) means what's up, chao cheebye (stinky cunt) means alamak or oh my god etc. is very common.

okay negro.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
are you bias against hokkien??? :biggrin: anyway, vulgarities exist in all language, its common to hear hokkien vulgarities here because hokkien is the dominating dialect here. thats why got hokkien peng and not teochew peng or canton peng. i think SAF do a great job in promoting hokkien vulgarities among all races. :p

Not biased, just wondering with objectivity. Not on Hokkien, but on Singlish Hokkien. All languages contain some vulgarities, true. But they're all used in aggression, fustration or exclamation, with limited graphic description. Singlish Hokkien vulgarities are so common that they're used as greetings between friends, graphically without blinking.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not biased, just wondering with objectivity. Not on Hokkien, but on Singlish Hokkien. All languages contain some vulgarities, true. But they're all used in aggression, fustration or exclamation, with limited graphic description. Singlish Hokkien vulgarities are so common that they're used as greetings between friends, graphically without blinking.

ramseth i think my previous reply to you also answer what you said here. :biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mine came from Xiamen in Fujian China.
4th Generation. :smile:

When they left, China was just becoming the Republic of China. :smile:

kmt_flag1.png

wah! 青天,白日,满地红!中华民国国旗!

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does China has a Law of Return for oversea Chinese like Israel (as long as Jew can migrate back)? If yes, I'd be interested.

yo bro! i doubt so! maybe we can write to 国务院总理温家宝 to suggest to him to accept those Chinese descendants overseas as a China's citizenship upon request??? i think it will really boost China's talents pool and help our motherland China progress!!!

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
石叻坡si lok po. chuan chew is actually hokkien too. :smile:

Yes I know chuan chew is also hokkien or minnan hua, and it actually includes alot of other smaller towns or cities. Most Singaporean hokkien forefathers were from this area. I remember that 石叻坡 was pronounced si lak po by my elders. Maybe difference in accent.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yo bro! i doubt so! maybe we can write to 国务院总理温家宝 to suggest to him to accept those Chinese descendants overseas as a China's citizenship upon request??? i think it will really boost China's talents pool and help our motherland China progress!!!

Many years ago, I went to Shenzhen (entering from HK Luohu station customs). It was very crowded and the queues looked very discouragingly long. I noticed three categories for immigration clearance queues: PRC Citizens, Oversea Chinese and Foreigners. I first presumed that Oversea Chinese means Taiwan ROC and HK (then not even SAR yet), but it had the shortest queues. So I asked an immigration police, could I queue there with Singapore passport as an oversea Chinese. He said yes, as long as I could fill in the embarkation form in Chinese, including a Chinese name in Chinese characters, I'd be considered an oversea Chinese.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many years ago, I went to Shenzhen (entering from HK Luohu station customs). It was very crowded and the queues looked very discouragingly long. I noticed three categories for immigration clearance queues: PRC Citizens, Oversea Chinese and Foreigners. I first presumed that Oversea Chinese means Taiwan ROC and HK (then not even SAR yet), but it had the shortest queues. So I asked an immigration police, could I queue there with Singapore passport as an oversea Chinese. He said yes, as long as I could fill in the embarkation form in Chinese, including a Chinese name in Chinese characters, I'd be considered an oversea Chinese.

oic! thanks for sharing! make me want to cry when i read this. i think China should do what Germany did before during 2nd world war, invite overseas Chinese to go back to China.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fujianese Hokkien and Taiwanese Hokkien, even Malaysian Hokkien are different and certainly more civil and cultured than Singlish Hokkien. They have some vulgarities too but certainly no match for Singlish Hokkien.

Wonder why Hokkien in Singlish evolved to be so vulgar. Even between friends, kan nin naa (fuck your mother) means hello, simi lanjiao (what the cock) means what's up, chao cheebye (stinky cunt) means alamak or oh my god etc. is very common.

Sai ni nia, hear that before? Very common for hokkien people to say in China. You think hokkien is vulgar because your mind thinks so. So americans who greet each other when they say 'what's up mother fucker' is not vulgar? Unless you adore the westerners lah. What about cantonese 'tiu leh lo moh keh chao hai' not vulgar meh? You hear that everywhere in Guangzhou, even in 5stars hotel. Your mind is so closed like in a cocoon.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oic! thanks for sharing! make me want to cry when i read this. i think China should do what Germany did before during 2nd world war, invite overseas Chinese to go back to China.

Being classified Oversea Chinese is the sentimental part. You haven't known the technical part. There were not enough PRC immigration officers who could speak or read English. So to speed up clearing, they classify anyone who could speak and write Chinese as Oversea Chinese. :biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being classified Oversea Chinese is the sentimental part. You haven't known the technical part. There were not enough PRC immigration officers who could speak or read English. So to speed up clearing, they classify anyone who could speak and write Chinese as Oversea Chinese. :biggrin:

its ok. i think blood is thicker than soil. so what we born here in sg? we are all Chinese.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sai ni nia, hear that before? Very common for hokkien people to say in China. You think hokkien is vulgar because your mind thinks so. So americans who greet each other when they say 'what's up mother fucker' is not vulgar? Unless you adore the westerners lah. What about cantonese 'tiu leh lo moh keh chao hai' not vulgar meh? You hear that everywhere in Guangzhou, even in 5stars hotel. Your mind is so closed like in a cocoon.

Well yes, Cantonese too. Even Teochews say poo bor (fuck mother) for fun. However, any of this vulgar vocabulary used in Beijing Mandarin? My point has nothing to do with westerners or Pinkerton. Get your crosshair right.

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which part of "Chinese" do you identify with?

Today's People's Republic of China is a totally different kettle of fish.

It is only recently that the Communist Party made traditional festivals, Qing Ming, Duan Wu, and Zhong Qiu, official holidays.

If you have interacted with any PRC, you will know why the CCP made these festivals worth celebrating. :smile:

its ok. i think blood is thicker than soil. so what we born here in sg? we are all Chinese.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which part of "Chinese" do you identify with?

Today's People's Republic of China is a totally different kettle of fish.

It is only recently that the Communist Party made traditional festivals, Qing Ming, Duan Wu, and Zhong Qiu, official holidays.

If you have interacted with any PRC, you will know why the CCP made these festivals worth celebrating. :smile:

alamak! Chinese is Chinese, pls dont be political.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does China has a Law of Return for oversea Chinese like Israel (as long as Jew can migrate back)? If yes, I'd be interested.

Republic of China used to have a law like this till 1980s. Every overseas Chinese can migrate to Taiwan as long as you can prove yourself of Chinese descent. You get your citizenship within a year upon application and staying in Taiwan.
This was Sun Yat Sen wishes that every Chinese ( specifically meaning Southern Chinese ) should return home one day to rebuild the motherland and we Nanyang Chinese were the "mother of revolution." The funds for Tong Mei Hui uprising against Qing mostly come from overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia, North America and Japan. HK and Southeast Asia contributed many men for those uprisings from 1905-11.
That's why that law was made - expressing gratitude to overseas Chinese.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well yes, Cantonese too. Even Teochews say poo bor (fuck mother) for fun. However, any of this vulgar vocabulary used in Beijing Mandarin? My point has nothing to do with westerners or Pinkerton. Get your crosshair right.

I never said anything about being pinkerton, just that you seem to focus only on the singapore hokkiens. The examples I gave is just to show that it's common in other parts of the world as well. Yes even in Beijing Mandarin 操你娘 or 日你娘 are common terms.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
alamak! Chinese is Chinese, pls dont be political.

The CCP govt of today are still claiming China emerged victorious in war of resistance against Japan led by CCP and allies. CCP did majority of fighting and more bullshits.
Do the Chinese really believe those lies? Nowadays you google and know the truth instantly.