• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which country your ancestors had come from?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to get upset lah! In the old days there really was some rivalries between the dialect groups, but nowadays it is more of a friendly jibe to say such things. Another one is teochew lang how lian, hokkien lang tua pian.

teo chew lang, kar chng ang ang
hokkien lang, kar chng seh tang
hainan lang, kar chng pang pang
kwuanghu lang, kar chng bo kang

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Proud?? You must be lucky that your ancestors were not 'piglets'

Being Chinese is something to be proud of and treasured, but not arrogant of. And don't despise or shortchange other races with feel of superiority or suppression. Don't whine at other races shortchanging or suppression us; work a fair way out. That's true Chineseness, wherever.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Proud?? You must be lucky that your ancestors were not 'piglets'

You mean 猪仔。Of course not, they were officials accompanying British here. In any case, no Chinese are piglets. That's a derogatory term against pigtail sporting Chinese coolies, many descendants of whom are your bosses now if you care to notice, or worse, your political leaders.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean 猪仔。Of course not, they were officials accompanying British here. In any case, no Chinese are piglets. That's a derogatory term against pigtail sporting Chinese coolies, many descendants of whom are your bosses now if you care to notice, or worse, your political leaders.

I think he meant 賣豬仔 as in Cantonese. It means sold as slaves.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
For many of us , our relatives left China to come nanyang at a time when the country was poor and opportunities few and far between. Two generations later, we now could find many of our relatives in China running successful businesses, living in big houses and driving big cars. For relatives on my mother's side, the folks in China are now doing much better than many of us here. Yet in another thread, we find people saying that China is still a poor backward third world country. Think for those of us whose ancestors come from China coastal regions, generally they are doing pretty well and there is real economic and social progress.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amazing. You never heard of 'chee chye")cantonese) or tu kia(hokkien) or 'pig trade'. The Queen knows more than you

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think he meant 賣豬仔 as in Cantonese. It means sold as slaves.

I think that term originally referred to the batch of Cantonese "sold" on labor bonds to California, the founders of San Francisco Chinatown. The term originated because those days, all Chinese males wore pigtails.

The Chinese that came to Singapore after Sir Stamford Raffles were all admitted on colonial visas with free rights of choice of residence, employment and property ownership to each his own ability and affordability. The poorer ones of course began as coolies, and the term "piglet" was also applied to them just like we say "bangla" today.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro,kaki lan..which town in anxi province.:wink:

安溪~傍头市, heard my mom always talk about this town,
still have a aunt there(mother's side), but lost contact.
Only uncle(father's side) went to ww2 and never came back,
when he was still a young man.
Apart from that, i have no relative here.
Only started this generation, with nieces and nephews and
they, cousins.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let Jacky Wu teach us Min Nan Yu
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQ3-hMvrJG8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQ3-hMvrJG8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the early days, when our ancestors settled here,
Every dialects have their preferred trade.

Hakka and Hock Chia~Coffee shop
Khek~Pawn shop, tailor
Cantonese~Wan tan mee, chee cheong fan, tim sum
Hokkien~Hei mee, sotong mee, trading co.
Hai Lam~Chicken rice, barber

Tio bo?

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the early days, when our ancestors settled here,
Every dialects have their preferred trade.

Hakka and Hock Chia~Coffee shop
Khek~Pawn shop, tailor

Tio bo?

Boh simi tio

Isn't Hakka = Khek? You forgot Chinese Medical Shop too

BTW, I love to hear hawkers speak dialects nowadays. At least I know I'm getting original and authentic Sinkapore food even though not all may be that great ...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Hakka and Hock Chia~Coffee shop
Khek~Pawn shop, tailor
Cantonese~Wan tan mee, chee cheong fan, tim sum
Hokkien~Hei mee, sotong mee, trading co.
Hai Lam~Chicken rice, barber

Tio bo?
hakka yong tau foo ...
hock chia fishball ...
hailam kopitiam ...

sylvester134

Alfrescian
Loyal
For many of us , our relatives left China to come nanyang at a time when the country was poor and opportunities few and far between. Two generations later, we now could find many of our relatives in China running successful businesses, living in big houses and driving big cars. For relatives on my mother's side, the folks in China are now doing much better than many of us here. Yet in another thread, we find people saying that China is still a poor backward third world country. Think for those of us whose ancestors come from China coastal regions, generally they are doing pretty well and there is real economic and social progress.

Very Correct. Last year December 2009, I went Shan Tou China 1st time to visit my ancestry and to the Village my Ancestors used stay.

In the 1970s , my grandparents had to collect money from children and old clothes here to send to those relatives and kids left in China.

Fast forward to 2009... They were much richer than us now, they are Business Minded People. They drive big cars, play stock markets , buy land.

In the 80s , when Deng Xiao Ping open up China for free trade ... the Southern Chinese get back their Business Mindedness and in very short period of time ,say only 20 years , everywhere you hear them talk businesses and start new companies, open new shops etc.

In Singapore, when you talk about setting up Business with friends and folks in 20 and 30 plus years olds here , 99.5% of them always say " Business very dangerous ... me not interested in Business.. blah blah" and always working class mindset.

In Southern China, Opening Bussinesses is a norm. I guess, it is because of the Singapore Education System and Society and Government have produced Play safe , look for job, don't make waves mentality and killed our Adventurous and Entrepreneutrial Mindset in our Southern Chinese Genes.

You will be surprised that in China, Hair Saloons are owned by Bosses in their late 20s or early 30s and other businesses such as Tea Shop Chains and Shoes Production Workshops, Clothing shops are owned by Bosses in their with less than a pass in their secondary education. Oh yes, don't you ever think they are out dated .. They also have Internet Cafes .. also owned by Bosses in their late 20s or early 30s.

My Cousin took out his netbook and ask me to check the Wifi Connection whether it is spoited or not... I look around for the Brand and chouldn't find... I ask him what brand was the netbook... He said... his friend's company is manufactoring it... Brand is only you put up yourself and sell to other ppl. You guys should know what my cousin mean.

Someday, who knows all the Oversea Chinese have to return back to China..

Oh Yes... many Oversea Chinese Businessmens are setting up Factories there...

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My ancestors came from Guangzhou! I think should be Guangzhou city. Cos when I went Guangzhou, I speak the same Cantonese as the city folks. Once I moved to some smaller cities in Guangzhou, the accent was a bit different.

Btw to deivate a bit, see this clip on Cantonese and Vietnamese language.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rROgBhDN9H8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rROgBhDN9H8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:smile:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boh simi tio

Isn't Hakka = Khek? You forgot Chinese Medical Shop too

BTW, I love to hear hawkers speak dialects nowadays. At least I know I'm getting original and authentic Sinkapore food even though not all may be that great ...

I forgot about teochew,
they sell soon kuek, chwee kueh, all the kueks??