• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which country your ancestors had come from?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My parents come from a far away planet and lan siao siao crash landed in Amerika in 1947, then they somehow managed to come to Singahporr. I've been told we came from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_(Star_Trek)

Spock+Live+long.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Red Backside Tribe descendant. Father's side great ah kong came from Swatow. Mother's side Hokkien from Kukup but came to Singapura so not so singkek as my kin who remained at the swamp.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you're good with linguistics in the study of consonants and vowels and tones, you'll notice that hakka is mutually unintelligible from mandarin but is closer in many pronunciations to middle chinese. also check up the rhyme books of tang. rhymes are secret codes to breaking the language mystery.

hakka is a real survivor and descendant of the true ancient chinese language and should be taught and preserved, although the hakka of today is a far cry from the language spoken by the first survivors of sui, tang and song. mandarin is a bastardized language

You are right! In fact most of the people in the southern coastal provinces were once considered as nan man or southern barbarians by the mandarins in the central plains. Hokkien, Canton, Hainan etc slowly got occupied by the northerners because of invasion by the northern barbaric hordes.

That's why the southern dialects still possess the ryhmes and tones of the ancient chinese language. I remember many years ago an American professor of Chinese literature asked my friend from HK to recite an ancient Chinese poem in Cantonese. He said that the words rhyme better in Cantonese than in Mandarin since the poem was written in the ancient language.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Mine came from Xiamen in Fujian China.
4th Generation. :smile:

When they left, China was just becoming the Republic of China. :smile:

kmt_flag1.png

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Red Backside Tribe descendant. Father's side great ah kong came from Swatow. Mother's side Hokkien from Kukup but came to Singapura so not so singkek as my kin who remained at the swamp.

Hate those assholes that say teochew nang kar chng ang ang cos hokkien lang kar chng seh tang.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read that the original thais originated from china. That is why further north of thailand they look rather chinese.

The ancestors of the thais are called tai and i think they still reside in china today. Anyway they escaped from china to escape the mongols and arrived in northern thailand setting up sukhotai. I noticed thailand's history begins in like 1200s unlike china's which began thousands of yrs back.

Anyhow over the yrs they conquered and fought the various kingdoms and thus the thailand of today is formed.

I guess the same can be said of the malays whom come from yunan but they probably didn't escape the mongol hordes but landed in taiwan first before travelling by boat to indonesia and then malaysia.

All this is rather hazy to me, i read a mismash of such info last time so pls don't flame me if i'm wrong.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hate those assholes that say teochew nang kar chng ang ang cos hokkien lang kar chng seh tang.

No need to get upset lah! In the old days there really was some rivalries between the dialect groups, but nowadays it is more of a friendly jibe to say such things. Another one is teochew lang how lian, hokkien lang tua pian.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My ah pa and mama from fujian anxi province so does tat mean i am a chinaporean or sporean.:confused:

Hokklish is the most graphically vulgar tongue I've ever heard before. :biggrin:

Sometimes, I think Hokklish speaker doesn't even realise, e.g. I've heard a father scolding his son, "Kan nin naa beh chao cheebye, I'll beat you up until you become piao nkia." (Fuck your mother stinky cunt, I'll beat you up until you become son of prostitute.) I'm not sure whether he realised what his words meant or actually meant it. :eek:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hokklish is the most graphically vulgar tongue I've ever heard before. :biggrin:

Sometimes, I think Hokklish speaker doesn't even realise, e.g. I've heard a father scolding his son, "Kan nin naa beh chao cheebye, I'll beat you up until you become piao nkia." (Fuck your mother stinky cunt, I'll beat you up until you become son of prostitute.) I'm not sure whether he realised what his words meant or actually meant it. :eek:

come to think of it the father would be the one most knowlegable of his son's mum's nether regions and whether she is chicken or not.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My ancestors from Fujian, Anxi
so my hokkien is 'An khuay hock kian'
My father 18 generation, I 19 generation.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fujianese Hokkien and Taiwanese Hokkien, even Malaysian Hokkien are different and certainly more civil and cultured than Singlish Hokkien. They have some vulgarities too but certainly no match for Singlish Hokkien.

Wonder why Hokkien in Singlish evolved to be so vulgar. Even between friends, kan nin naa (fuck your mother) means hello, simi lanjiao (what the cock) means what's up, chao cheebye (stinky cunt) means alamak or oh my god etc. is very common.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fujianese Hokkien and Taiwanese Hokkien, even Malaysian Hokkien are different and certainly more civil and cultured than Singlish Hokkien.

Wonder why Hokkien in Singlish evolved to be so vulgar. Even between friends, kan nin naa (fuck your mother) means hello, simi lanjiao (what the cock) means what's up, chao cheebye (stinky cunt) means alamak or oh my god etc. is very common.

are you bias against hokkien??? :biggrin: anyway, vulgarities exist in all language, its common to hear hokkien vulgarities here because hokkien is the dominating dialect here. thats why got hokkien peng and not teochew peng or canton peng. i think SAF do a great job in promoting hokkien vulgarities among all races. :p