• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

reminiscence of primary school days......

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who still remember this all time favourite chocolate favored cake. HIRO!

100-things-in-80s-food-hiro-chocolate-cake.jpg

And this...

100-things-in-80s-food-kinos-snacks1.jpg

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
ya man ..me around that time too.....fantasised about the young singer Romina Power.:smile:

Sometimes just walking to school I get very self-conscious walking as though the boner I had in my mind was like a flag pole and anyone looking at me could see I had a boner. It was an embarrassing period for me those early day.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, we get these from my pri sch tuckshop. I think Yaohan shld have. Our Family used to go Thomson Yaohan, miss the KFC at the 2nd flr.

My pri sch from 1982 to 1987.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
leetahbar said:
i wonder kids these days keep a pet fighting spider? when they see a spider, they would yell their heads off!

i used to catch bigger, monstrous and hairy spiders which the kampong folks called "la gia". these monster spiders fyi got 2 insiduous fangs. it was about the size of a fully stretched palm.

In those days, primary school kids already knew that if you want your spider to be King you need to have a Queen for it to protect. Many a time, when after a courting dance with a female spider, your king spider became especially ferocious. Chilly also had some effect.

Yes I remember hermit crabs and beetles.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
Lawyers called to the bar, that's scary too, are they drunk? Judges called to the bench, that's scary too, are they senile retirees? Lawyers and doctors practise, that's scary too, haven't they perfected their profession upon graduation? Use their clients and patients for practice? :eek:

But patients are called patients, that's understandable. Look at the clinic and hospital queues. Be patient. :rolleyes:

Good observation, Ram. Why are heads of government called Ministers? To make them more holy looking?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Conqueror said:
Ribena is still a beverage for the young. Anyone drinking Milo or coffee instead ? Any form of tonic ?

Before Milo, there was Ovaltine and Horlicks. And before F&N Orange juice, there was Red Lion and Green Spot.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
leetahbar said:
oh yes! the hantam bola was the best game to get even with classmates u bore grudges with. it was good exercise running and chasing after the bright plastic ball. the one who held the ball would use it to "hantam" or hit anyone he wanted to. he could chase after him/her to get closer and fire it with all his might. the best hit would be to hit the head and everyone would yell: TIO TAO PEOW!! (lst prize in 4D)

one thing bad would be school uniforms would get dirtied and stained with the ball marks when we played in muddy school fields. and our bata canvas shoes would really get all soiled. worst, when back home, would definitely get a big scolding from the parents or even from the teachers. who care! the game went on.......

Another popular game we played was riding horse with a smaller child carried by a bigger child. The aim was to get other riders to get off their horse backs. Those were the times of the Western movies.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
The class would split for 2nd Language. Malay and Tamil classes were conducted in the English wing and Chinese in the Chinese wing. My goodness, it was really Chinese wing with Chinese teacher. We had to learn every character in 4 versions, Traditional, Simplified, Zhuyin Fuhao and Hanyu Pinyin.

In my time, Hanyu Pinyin wasn't invented and so was Simplified Chinese, except perhaps experimentally. Even China used Traditional Chinese. Although a little out of point, in Secondary school, we were introduced to 文言文 and that was only second language. For first language, you go to a Chinese medium school.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kingrant said:
I loved the pig and elephant best, becuz they are so thick and round and smooth that other cuti's cannot climb ontop of them., whereas I could easily jump them with these animals.

Rabbit was also good especially those with longer ears which could also jump high.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Looking at all the posts suddenly make me feel so young. Anyone still retain the skill to "rub" marbles uncle they become like a ball of fragmented glass? We used to spend our time after school doing that and the end product would be a "champion" marble.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Then there were the rubbers or eraser fight. Those erasers had flags printed on them and cost 10 cents each. Used to collect so many of them :biggrin:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
A&W was best in schooldays. For those in west, Bukit Merah, for those in central, Cathay-Selegie, for those in east, Kallang Stadium.

A&W was the first Fast Food chain to come to Singapore. One of the first outlets was probably at Dunearn Road next to the canal outside the University of Singapore (the name for NUS then).

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
Girls collected lots of rubber bands for their long hair. Excess rubber bands could be chained up and used to play zero point. :biggrin:

Rubber bands could be used to play many kinds of games, one of which was to throw to overlap a line drawn on the floor or to loop another rubber band thrown there earlier. A table game version was to flick a band over another with your finger.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any uncles here remember singing God Save the Queen in school? I remember also singing God Save the King and that was a couple of years after the Queen was crowned. Funny.