• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu posing with girl guides. :biggrin:

1654359822007.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu defines success. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

6 hrs ·
How do we define success for ourselves at different points in our lives? “Success” at age 30 and age 50 can be very different for different people. Is it about material or spiritual wealth, or simply doing justice to our blessings and a constant endeavour to challenge and surpass ourselves (and not others)?
I discussed these and other topical issues with students of Republic Polytechnic earlier this week. Enjoyed my time in conversation with this group of active and passionate young people. Wishing them all the best in their studies and life pursuits!
[
1f4f8.png
: Republic Polytechnic]

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Be confident, curious, connected to become new 'pioneering generation', Chan Chun Sing tells Pre-U students​

1654437504978.png

SINGAPORE - Every generation must be a pioneering generation, Education Minister Chan Chun Sing told an audience of 550 pre-university students on Tuesday morning (May 31).

In a speech opening this year's Pre-University Seminar at National Junior College, he charged the students with guiding Singapore to its 100th anniversary and outlined qualities they must have to succeed - be confident, curious and connected.

The students, who are from 30 pre-university institutions - junior colleges, polytechnics and other pre-university institutes - were gathered in two lecture theatres at the school in Bukit Timah.

They are taking part in an annual seminar where they will work with students from other schools on a project related to this year's theme, Service: Forging the Singapore Story.

Mr Chan said previous generations have weathered challenges such as Konfrontasi, global economic recessions and oil crises, and the current youth will have to find their own way through its unique circumstances.

Konfrontasi was a period of armed conflict between the nascent states of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore following their independence from colonial powers.

He added: "It is through the crucible of crisis and challenges that the fortitude of Singaporeans is birthed... Beyond 2020, your generation will take on the mantle to lead us to SG100."

Outlining the obstacles that Singapore's youth will have to contend with, Mr Chan said they will have to navigate a more contested geo-political environment, transform the economy and entrench Singapore as a global digital node.

They must also transcend its energy and carbon challenges and develop new solutions to improve the country's land use, he added.

To do all this, students must be curious, connected and confident, he said.

Mr Chan said cultivating a curiosity for lifelong learning will help keep Singaporean's skills relevant for a rapidly evolving economy.

It is also essential for Singaporean youth to stay connected to the region and the world.

Mr Chan added that the Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted plans for students to have exposure to other countries, but these ties can still be built virtually.

However, young people must also remain connected to Singapore and the Singaporean identity, he said.

He said: "As you prepare to take on the mantle as new pioneers of Singapore, it is important to crystallise our Singapore DNA... trustworthiness, multiculturalism, unity, will of action are just some of these traits."

Students must also be confident in themselves and in an intensely competitive global environment, having a healthy sense of self is essential, he added.

Mr Chan ended his speech by opening the seminar and framing it as a platform for students to bond and connect.

He said: "For the past 52 years, the Pre-University Seminar has been an important common ground to bring Singapore's youth together to better understand local and global developments and envision a shared future for the country."

He then held a closed-door dialogue with the students.

Students The Straits Times spoke to at the sidelines of the event said the seminar and the lead-up to it, which began in March this year, has been enriching.

School of the Arts theatre student Kavya Zutshi, 17, said the seminar has helped her meet people outside of her social bubble and learn about different working styles.

Students have been attending workshops with their groups of 12 since March, where they met academics, senior civil servants, charity workers and other mentors to work on a project.

The project can take any form and will present the students' new understanding of a chosen topic, which they selected from within four general focus areas: harmony, kindness, resilience and innovation.

Over the next four days, they will take part in learning journeys around Singapore, panel discussions and present their works at a closing ceremony and exhibition.

Each school selected between 10 and 25 students to represent them at the seminar, depending on the sizes of their cohorts.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is having laksa tomorrow. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

12 hrs ·
“Uncle, will you have laksa tomorrow?”
The “uncle” in question is 30-year-young Cyrus who laughs off the older term of endearment. “Haha, I don’t mind that they call me uncle lah”.
Formerly a sous chef in a hotel, Cyrus decided to open a canteen stall at Deyi Secondary School last year. To make it easier for students to place their orders while maintaining safe distancing, he came up with the innovative idea of letting students place their orders via Instagram. Needless to say, it was a huge hit with the students.
In addition to laksa, the stall also serves hor fun, curry chicken noodles, and fried noodles.
He takes great care in keeping his food affordable, and helps out students whenever he can “For some students who run out of money, I tell them, nevermind, you just pay me another time – and they always do.”
“We are all part of the school community, and it’s only right that we look out for one another”
Well-said indeed
1f642.png
#OurCanteenFood

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wants to discover himself. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 03:06 ·
A student once asked me, “I’m not particularly outstanding at anything. How would I know what to pursue in future?”
This student is not alone. Many of us ask ourselves similar questions. Came across this Schoolbag article where the writer – a young adult – shared his thoughts on being “average” and how his parents supported him and helped him grow despite his doubts.
My favourite part of the article is when the writer wrote, “Was I still average? I’d say: I am at my personal best.”
To him, success isn’t simply becoming “better than average”. Rather, it is to continue his journey of self-discovery, be inspired by experiences, and work on just being the best version of himself.
Perhaps I can pass on some of this advice when I next meet a student who has this question
1f642.png

1654693608312.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited Bendemeer Primary School. :wink:

Album Visit to Bendemeer Primary School
https://www.facebook.com/ChanChunSi...mwGg7Sb9QIi0YGfPC_v20mL5V-8ysjn&__tn__=<<,P-R

Chan Chun Sing added 8 new photos.​

21 hrs ·
The culture of sharing is strong here in Bendemeer primary school. Have a skill, hobby, or interest? You're encouraged to find ways to nurture and share them with the whole school.
Enjoyed meeting the teachers who lead very vibrant lives! Ms Louise Leong is a certified instructor for Zumba, yoga and pilates, and runs fitness sessions for her colleagues to keep active together. Mr Alvin Lee is a military history enthusiast who loves collecting pieces of Singapore's past. His love for history led him to set up the school's heritage spaces, so our young students can learn about our nation's early years.
Yet another way the school supports its students in honing strengths and interests is the Bendemeer News Channel, where students get to explore broadcast journalism. Teachers encourage students to join when they see they have a knack for speaking on camera. The student journalists have been having lots of fun going on air to talk about the topic of the day, or report on school events.
I enjoyed being interviewed by budding news reporters, Zoey and Hao Zhe, who did a fantastic job. I was posed the tough question of when students will be able to go mask-free in school, and they asked for my thoughts after walking around the school. I told them I have fond memories of Bendemeer Primary and its neighbourhood because I used to live nearby. What I didn't tell them was that I used to play in the longkang near the school as a boy.
1f606.png

#ourschoolstories