• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal

Chan Chun Sing

15 hrs ·

“I learned to be more resilient and not give up. In the ‘A’ Div games, it is tougher because there are many skilled players. We were trailing behind by 4 points in one match and everyone didn’t want to give up, that’s how we made it to the finals!” Muhammad Aniq Aiman Bin Shaugi from Hwa Chong Institution’s Volleyball team said.

1653410344525.png

jw5

Loyal

Chan Chun Sing

15 hrs ·

“As a team, we spend a lot of time together outside of training to bond. We also support one another and share challenges that we are facing in other areas of life, so we are able to better focus during the games,” Aniq said.

1653410721981.png

jw5

Loyal

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 09:07 ·

“If not for my friends who kept encouraging me and telling me not to worry, I would definitely have been more stressed and not performed as well,” shared Abigail Kom, Fencing, Greendale Secondary School. She is passionate about Fencing and doesn’t see herself stopping anytime because it is fun. The fast pace of the sport is what she enjoys the most.

1653486997716.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu introduces EAE. :cool:

Chan Chun Sing

10 hrs ·
#DidYouKnow that the Early Admissions Exercise (EAE) allows students to receive conditional offers for admission to Institute of Technical Education, Singapore or the polytechnics, even before receiving their final grades?
Eswaran has always been passionate about artificial intelligence (AI) and how it can be used to automate daily tasks. After graduating from ITE College West with a Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering, he decided to further his interest in the field and applied to a polytechnic diploma through the EAE.
Having secured a spot in Nanyang Polytechnic Diploma in Electronic and Computer Engineering, Eswaran is looking to explore an AI project to assist the visually impaired by collecting data from the surroundings, to guide and pre-empt the user through sound when approaching sharp corners.
The EAE is part of Ministry of Education, Singapore’s larger effort to recognise a broader range of merit beyond academic achievements, and provide our students multiple pathways and opportunities to fulfil their aspirations. Working adults who have 2 or more years of relevant work experience are also welcome to apply for the Polytechnic EAE.
Those interested in this pathway can start applying from today (26 May) for ITE and from 6 June for the polytechnics.
Do visit https://www.ite.edu.sg/apply-eae or https://eae.polytechnic.edu.sg/ to find out more!
1f60a.png

1f4f8.png
: NYP

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu enjoyed school camps. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

4 hrs ·
School camps were an enjoyable and memorable part of my school days as a scout
1f3d5.png

Today, cohort camps are a key part of our students’ school experience to provide them with unique and authentic learning experiences that go beyond the classrooms.
Ministry of Education, Singapore has resumed non-residential cohort camps for Secondary 1 to 3 students since the start of Term 2, with measures to ensure students’ safety such as briefings and programme customisation.
We will further resume residential cohort camps for both primary and secondary schools in Term 3.
Outdoor adventure learning camps allow our students to extend and deepen their learning in real-life contexts. I hope they will also take the opportunity to build camaraderie with their fellow schoolmates, develop resilience, confidence and leadership skills, as well as an appreciation for the outdoors and nature.
[
1f4f8.png
: Mayflower Secondary School and Springfield Secondary School]

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wishes teachers and students a good break. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

14 hrs ·
Have you ever wished that you could have breakfast with your children in school?
Parents and P1 students at Westwood Primary did just that last week!
One parent shared “My boy said this was the best morning ever…” The breakfast session was held over 3 days for P1 students and parents to spend quality time together.
Evan said, "I like the breakfast and spending time with my daddy in school
1f642.png

The school’s Parent Support Group (PSG) also shared more about the programmes that they support such as camps and career talks. I’m glad to hear that several parents have signed up to be members of the PSG!
Now that the June school holidays are here, there are even more opportunities for parents and children to spend time together.
Wishing students and teachers a good break!

1653750239415.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu went walkabout. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 19:13 ·
No matter how tiring the week may be, our weekend walkabouts and home visits are always recharging…to catch up with our volunteers and residents to feel the pulse of the community.

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Long-term study of forests in Central Catchment Nature Reserve takes root​

1653838880362.png

SINGAPORE - Researchers have now started a long-term forest monitoring survey of the Central Catchment Nature Reserve - the most extensive survey of its kind so far.

It will allow the authorities to improve forest conservation efforts, said the National Parks Board (NParks) on Saturday (May 21).

The study involves the marking out of 62 forest plots within the reserve that had previously been surveyed in 1992.

Within these plots, the vegetation, wildlife and soil will be studied repeatedly over time.

Researchers will conduct surveys on the flora and fauna within these plots, as well as monitor the life cycle of selected trees, seedlings and saplings, among other work.

NParks aims to share interim results of the study within the next three to five years.

In a speech at the Botany Centre in the Botanic Gardens on Saturday, Minister for National Development Desmond Lee said: "The information gathered will allow us to better understand how the forests within the nature reserve have grown and evolved over the past 30 years.

"This will help us to develop better conservation strategies to ensure that their ecosystems remain healthy and resilient."

He added that the Central Catchment Nature Reserve is one of Singapore's most precious biodiversity sites, with highlights such as giant forest trees and freshwater swamps. It is also home to endangered species such as the Sunda pangolin.

The new study comes under the Tropical Forest Ecology Research programme, which was launched in March last year to facilitate the development of science-based interventions for the management and restoration of the country's forests.

Dr Shawn Lum, president of Nature Society (Singapore), said there is currently another long-term study being done in the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve by researchers from Nanyang Technological University.

But this is on a smaller scale, covering two plots of land each spanning the size of four football pitches.

"What makes the Central Catchment study especially important is that not only does it complement what we know from Bukit Timah, but it also adds a much wider sampling of the forest," he added.

"Taking the results from both Bukit Timah and this new study, I think we can say with confidence what is happening to Singapore forests."

Dr Lum also said that the study will provide valuable data about the threshold in terms of size needed for self-sustaining forests.

But he added that the Central Catchment study should not be seen as a standalone academic study, but one of the many attempts to monitor biodiversity in all kinds of environment, including urban ones, in Singapore.

He cited examples of how schools and the public have been contributing to efforts to document biodiversity, adding: "It's all part of this much wider, holistic effort to monitor what is happening around us."

NParks announced the new study in conjunction with the launch of the Festival of Biodiversity on Saturday.

The event is an annual celebration of the community's effort to commemorate the International Day for Biological Diversity.

1653838985824.png

This year's festival features interactive booths and walks, among other activities.

Education Minister Chan Chun Sing said at the festival's opening that a programme to give primary school pupils seed packs will be enhanced this year.

The Every Child a Seed programme distributes a starter kit comprising a pot, potting mix and a pack of seeds to Primary 3 pupils and special education schools. More than 400,000 pupils have received the kits in the last decade.

Primary 3 pupils in all 185 primary schools this year will get three packs of seeds to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the programme.

They will get the opportunity to grow edible plants such as kailan and chye sim with more seed packets.

Ms Hiew Li Tiang, a science teacher at Westwood Primary School, said the programme has helped pupils to learn about plants and food sustainability.

She added: "With the additional seed packets, I think the pupils will be quite excited. Sometimes, seeds don't germinate, so with the extra packets, I think it will actually help the pupils."

Westwood Primary School received the award for School of the Year in the primary school category under the Community in Nature Schools Award on Saturday.

Far Eastern Kindergarten and Kranji Secondary School were lauded in the kindergarten and secondary school categories.

The biennial award seeks to acknowledge schools, teachers and students who advocate for local biodiversity.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu spoke on 7 key shifts. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

2 hrs ·
The world has changed, and we too must change the way we teach and learn.
At the 9th Redesigning Pedagogy International Conference (RPIC) this morning, I spoke on the that we should internalise:
1️⃣
Transmission of knowledge → Sensemaking
2️⃣
Understanding yesterday’s solutions to yesterday's challenges → Framing tomorrow's challenges and finding tomorrow’s solutions.
3️⃣
A standard model of education for all → Diverse models of education to meet diverse learning needs
4️⃣
Teaching in classrooms and schools → Teaching beyond schools, and for life
5️⃣
Leveraging individual talents → Leveraging team strengths
6️⃣
Pursuit of academic excellence → Pursuit of holistic development
7️⃣
Leveraging the fraternity's talents → Leveraging the strengths of our community
I encourage the education fraternity to embrace this fresh vision of learning and teaching, and look forward to an inspired transformation of our education landscape.
Read my speech here: https://go.gov.sg/rpic2022
[
1f4f8.png
: National Institute of Education (NIE) Nanyang Technological University, Singapore]

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu attended the pre U seminar opening ceremony. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing added 4 new photos.​

2 hrs ·
Every generation can, will, and must be a pioneering generation.
At the Pre-University Seminar 2022 Opening Ceremony today, I encouraged our young generation to take on the mantle to lead us to SG100.
I shared 3 attributes that they will need to succeed for themselves and for Singapore:
➡️
: Curiosity is the seed for creativity. Only when one is curious will one be disciplined to constantly look for tomorrow’s solutions for tomorrow’s challenges. We need to embrace and actively learn, unlearn and re-learn. This is the spirit of lifelong learning.
➡️
: It is important for Singapore to remain attuned to regional developments, and stay connected to the world as part of the global value chain. At the same time, we must remained connected to Singapore and our identity.
➡️
: Having a healthy sense of self is essential, and having confidence in ourselves as individuals start from understanding our strengths and limitations. Just as every individual is unique, every society is also unique in its own challenges. We must have the courage and confidence to seek our own solutions in context.
It is important that we do not simply look at how well we do for ourselves in this generation -- we must enable the next generation to do even better than us. This is our Singapore Compact.
I am confident that our young generation will take that step towards building their own legacy of serving Singapore.
Read my speech here:
https://go.gov.sg/1vu5xj
#preusem22
[
1f4f8.png
: National Junior College Singapore]