• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is fond of mee rebus. :inlove:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
Between mee rebus, mee siam, and mee soto—what, to me, is the trifecta of local Malay noodle dishes (I tend to associate laksa more with my Peranakan heritage)—I probably enjoy mee rebus the most (I would crave mee siam when I wish for something lighter and tangier, while mee soto is something I think of more on cold rainy days).
I love the way mee rebus transforms as you eat it: the way the thick gravy slowly turns more into a broth by the end of the meal, how the initial sweet flavors are best counterbalanced by the spicy green chili, but eventually gives way to the savory tauhu, and how the yolk of the hard-boiled egg gradually melts and melds into the sauce itself.
When I’m in #Anchorvale during breakfast or lunch, I would occasionally swing by the Malay food stall at 350 and grab a plate of their mee rebus. In my view, the place gets the balance of flavors just right, and sends me to a happy place.

1671366706146.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to go shopping. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

11 h ·
This year, the Lunar New Year swings by earlier than usual. Our #TeamSengkang celebrations will include a shopping trip to Woodlands and Victoria Wholesale Center. Tickets will be available for sale at our weekly meet-the-people sessions (starting tonight, at 330A #Anchorvale). With a number of Mondays taken up by holidays, we only have two—including today—where you can grab these tickets at #Anchorvale. As always, we try to keep costs down, but know that any “profit made from this trip goes right back to helping keep our other #SengkangGRC grassroots events free for all.

1671456096913.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus was invited to a concert. :cool:

Jamus Lim

8 h ·
Recently, I had the honor of being invited to join the annual international diplomatic Christmas concert, presented by the Cathedral Choir of the Risen Christ. The event was presided over by Archbishop Marek Zalewski, the Apostolic Nuncio to Singapore, and both Minister Edwin Tong and President Halimah were guests-of-honors. I was fortunate to be joined by NMP Janet Ang, as part of the MP contingent, and several dozen of ambassadors and foreign delegates from countries around the world.
What made the concert truly special was how the choir weaves together seasonal songs from around the world, and sang them in their original languages. While I do not know most of these languages, the songs in the few that I am familiar with were sung with excellent enunciation, and I believe the same could be said for all the other tongues as well. The result was a medley of beautiful carols from around the world—and a reminder that, despite our beautiful diversity, we are bound by a common humanity. It is this humanity that offers the lasting foundation for world peace, and not only was this vocalized in song, it was visually captured by a brief ceremony where countries’ delegates would pin small ornaments featuring their flags to a symbolic “Tree of Peace.” (Some photo credits: President’s Office)

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continued house visits. :cool:

Jamus Lim

14 h ·
Last evening, #TeamSengkang completed house visits with 326D #Anchorvale. It was a comparatively quiet night; many residents were not at home, perhaps due to travel for the year-end holiday period, of because they were visiting with family for 冬至 (Dongzhi) dinner (and for those that celebrate—happy belated winter solstice!).
One Muslim family shared about their challenges with getting halal food in our estate. This isn’t a unique concern. I’ve had others raise this issue, too; one family had previously flagged how there was a limited selection of fresh halal meat and produce (we helped by writing in to HDB to provide feedback over the lack of options).
One source of this problem, I believe, stems from the current model for HDB coffeeshop tender in nonmature estates. The current approach is to open these for tender, which would then be awarded according to a mix of price and quality (with the latter considering factors such as affordability and healthier food choices). The issue, however, is that once these tenders are awarded, there is a strong incentive for winning bidders to focus on profit-maximizing incentives to recoup the costs of their up-front bid. This could easily lead to costlier food and more limited options over time, which seems to be the case in estates such as #SengkangGRC. This is, of course, further exacerbated by recent cost-of-living increases, especially in cooked food.
I had previously asked in Parliament about whether HDB tracks food cost differentials in mature versus nonmature estates, as well as newer versus older coffeeshops. The response was that it doesn’t. I’m hopeful that, in addition to emphasizing food affordability at the point of tender, the government will also consider designing contractual mechanisms to prevent food prices in coffeeshops from getting too far out of whack, as well as ensure that specialized options, such as halal stalls, are always represented.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wants to have a greener future. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

12 h ·
As a small country, it’s difficult for us to imagine our green efforts making any difference for the fate of the planet. At one level, this is undeniable; our nation’s emissions, no matter how controlled, will be completely dominated by those of larger and denser countries. But that’s beside the point. Our future is tied together, so we have a shared responsibility to do our part. We can also play a leadership role and show the way forward. Many countries already look to us as a model for development; we can be one for the environment, too.
As we transition our economy toward sustainability, electric vehicles (EVs) will play an ever-greater role. But there is a chicken-and-egg problem with adoption: unless we’ve chargers easily available, nobody will buy EVs; but companies won’t install if there isn’t enough demand. This is where government can take a lead. HDB oversees charging infrastructure in multistory carparks. As long as these are safe and sufficient, it will help encourage EV adoption among HDB dwellers, which make up a good chunk of our car owners.
It is important to ensure safety, because many would be concerned about fires, especially after reports of how other battery-reliant transportation vehicles, such as PMDs, have contributed to fires (18 across the island last year, and 2 that I know of in #SengkangGRC). But it is also crucial to guarantee sufficiency. If there are only 2 stations, and they’re always occupied, nobody will upgrade to EVs, since they won’t want to risk having a flat battery when they need to get to work for an important meeting.
One strategy for discouraging charger hogging is to apply a penalty rate when users already have a full charge (this is how Tesla does it). We can also adjust the number of stations, to oversupply chargers when there are more registered PHC and taxi drivers in a cluster. For condos and mixed-use buildings, we could try to target a higher number of stations, since such structures are likely to have a disproportionate number of EV drivers (due to commercial traffic and relatively higher incomes).
But there is another institutional mechanism for ushering in the transition: leverage the current COE system, which, after all, guarantees the expiry of existing internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles after 10 years, by default. The Ministry of Transport (MoT)’s plan is to issue no more ICE COEs, starting in 2030. That’s a fine approach, and effectively means the more-or-less complete phase-out of the ICE fleet by 2040. There is one shortcoming: the EV transition will need to wait another 8 years. Alternatively, we can create a distinct EV COE category, and split new COE issuance between EV and ICE. This will allow the transition to begin immediately, and get us to a full RV fleet by 2042.
Minister Iswaran, in his response, suggested that introducing two types of COEs would reduce the supply of available in each category, making prices more volatile. Maintaining a single category was preferable, for that reason. I agree that segmenting markets this way could result in greater volatility and potentially higher COE prices, especially in the ICE category. The question, then, is whether higher COE prices are worth paying, in exchange for getting more EVs on the road earlier. We’re all aware of higher COE prices of late, and how this is making it difficult, especially for those who rely on driving for a living. But there is a way around this: rebate part of that extra revenue, especially for commercial vehicles.
I (and other #workersparty MPs) have made previous suggestions along those lines, of special dispensation for certain categories, such as motorcycle delivery riders, PHC drivers, or drivers of vehicles used for commercial purposes. We could even do the same for a special commercial EV category, which would work out to a discount for such EV permits (off the market price). This would in turn encourage takeup, and reduce emissions from one of the highest-impact categories of vehicles.
Ultimately, we can view the higher prices paid by noncommercial ICE drivers as a feature, not a bug. The higher prices for ICE COEs would encourage the switch sooner, and we also get more EVs on the road by also adjusting changes in quantity, not just price. Either way, the goal is to have more EVs and less ICE vehicles on the road, as soon as possible. I’d prefer using two tools to do so than one, with price rebates to certain categories to contain price increases. But reasonable folks can disagree. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wishes those who celebrate Merry Christmas. :smile:

Jamus Lim

9 h ·
The year-end holiday season is always special, not only because of how it allows us to gather and reflect on the year that just concluded, but also because it is also a nostalgic reminder of all the times shared together as family in years past. It is also an opportunity for us to appreciate the teams, volunteers, and partners who have made the events that we put together possible: thank you! For those that celebrate, Merry Christmas, and may you have a fruitful and wonderful year ahead. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you for a Lunar New Year celebration. :smile:

Jamus Lim

11 h ·
In addition to our shopping tour, #TeamSengkang will also organize a #SengkangGRC-wide Lunar New Year celebration at 262 #Compassvale, on January 14, 2023. As always, we have tried to keep the event free; so please join us for paper cutting craft fun, DIY calligraphy, performances by a Lion Dance troupe, and an appearance by the God of Fortune!
During this time of relative abundance and thanksgiving, let us also remember the less fortunate in our midst. #TeamSengkang will be distributing packets of rice to needy families in our community, and we encourage those who are able to donate packs of rice to bring these along to the event, where we will assist with distribution.

1672141951502.png

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

3 Hougang MPs in 1 Merry Christmas party: Low Thia Khiang & Png Eng Huat join Dennis Tan to celebrate!​

1672143498103.png

INGAPORE — Two former Members of Parliament for Hougang Single Member Constituency—Messrs Low Thia Khiang and Png Eng Huat—joined current MP Dennis Tan to celebrate Christmas Eve this year.

Mr Dennis Tan, who was elected MP for Hougang SMC in 2020, wrote in a Dec 26 Facebook post, “Together with former Hougang MPs Low Thia Khiang and PNG ENG HUAT, I joined our residents on Christmas eve night as they celebrated the re-opening of the Block 710 Senior Residents’ Corner after its recent renovation, followed by a Christmas party.

3 Hougang MPs in 1 Merry Christmas party: Low Thia Khiang & Png Eng Huat join Dennis Tan to celebrate!

3 Hougang MPs in 1 Merry Christmas party: Low Thia Khiang & Png Eng Huat join Dennis Tan to celebrate!© The Independent Singapore

I was heartened to hear from the organisers that many residents had enthusiastically contributed towards this celebration in different ways and it was great to see everyone having a good time.”

Mr Low, who led the WP to a first Opposition win of a Group Representation Constituency when it took Aljunied GRC from the PAP in 2011, remains a popular and well-respected figure in Singapore.

After suffering a bad fall in 2020, he was hospitalized for nearly a month but appeared to have fully recovered.

In July, Mr Low and his wife, Ms Han Mui Keow, joined a group from the Bedok Reservoir-Punggol division of Aljunied GRC that went to Johor.

“We were thrilled to have Mr Low Thia Khiang, former MP for Aljunied and Workers’ Party leader, together with Mrs Low, join our trip!” wrote Aljunied GRC Member of Parliament Gerald Giam in a Facebook post on July 25. The group went to Desaru, Pegerang, Jomis Jetty and Aeon mall.

In the same month, Mr Low and Mr Png stepped in for Sengkang GRC MP Jamus Lim, who had gone to the United States for a few weeks for a fellowship at Stanford University in California.

Assoc Prof Lim wrote in a Facebook post on July 18 that the two men “generously offered their (retirement) time.”

They will be aided by “the ever-reliable #TeamSengkang volunteers,” he wrote, adding that “Both gentlemen have helped out at #Anchorvale before, and I am grateful for such able and experienced support.”

Mr Low, 66, who led The Workers’ Party from 2001 to 2018, is the longest-serving opposition Member of Parliament, having served as an MP for 20 years.

He represented Hougang SMC in Parliament from 1991 to 2011 and then Aljunied GRC from 2011 to 2020.

Mr Png, 61, served as MP for the constituency from 2012 until 2020, when it was announced that he, along with Mr Low and former Aljunied GRC MP Chen Show Mao, 61, would not contest in the General Election of that year.

Both Mr Low and Mr Png remain active in politics and the WP’s on-ground activities, however.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus looks forward to welcoming the dongdongchang and bright red decorations of the Lunar New Year. :smile:

1672231238318.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wants his daughter to flourish in the world that she was born into. :smile:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
Our daughter recently took a liking to a T-Rex that she found at the Science Center (being around during the holiday season has given our family extra time to visit local attractions, such as the center and the zoo; I even managed to squeeze in a bring-your-daughter-to-work outing in #SengkangGRC, although she ended up being less than impressed with giant pictures of her daddy).
But back to that T-Rex. I think we sometimes fall into a tendency to categorize toys as inherently more “male” or “female”: monsters and trains and water cannons for boys; dollhouses and cooking sets and pink ribbons for girls. But for me, I think this unnecessarily limits their imagination for what they could do when they grow up. After all, many of us went through a phase where we dreamt of being an astronaut or a paleontologist or ballet dancer or figure skater, and I’d hate to think that my daughter would preemptively rule out such professions in her mind.
I don’t know what my daughter will want for her future, nor do I know what she has been blessed with to help her in that journey toward that future (although my wife and I have some inkling). For us, what’s most important is that we support her the best we can to fulfill her god-given potential, and that she finds a way to flourish in the world that she was born into.