• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus squats to talk to a couple. :biggrin:

1650202034471.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus visits a mosque. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

12 hrs ·

Leon Perera

Yesterday at 18:44 ·
Joined the other WP MPs today for another visit to our friends at Masjid Haji Yusoff in Aljunied GRC. I first visited this historic mosque in 2018 as an NCMP. It was a privilege to meet the Mosque management team, including the younger members; and to witness the distribution of Iftar Bento packs. I'm so glad we were joined by the Sengkang GRC MPs on this visit! At the same time that this was going on, Team Serangoon volunteers were doing another Iftar food distribution exercise, at Serangoon North Avenue 1. To all Muslim friends, Ramadan Kareem dan Selamat Berpuasa.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses motion on Women's Development. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
The recently-concluded Women’s Development motion touched on a host of action items to advance the position of women in Singaporean society. There were a number of suggestions specific to the workplace, including shared leave, and promoting female mentorship. On its face, mentorship is a fine idea. We know that close guidance from a someone who has been-there-done-that can be hugely beneficial for those who are just starting out, or for helping those who have been around make the next leap in their careers.
But there are issues with relying solely on this approach. It is a bit chicken-and-egg; it presumes that there are many female leaders to look up to and draw on. But their dearth is the issue in the first place! We then run the risk of overtaxing those who step up. In a post-#MeToo world, male mentors may be uncomfortable with fostering close relationships with women. But it is often the camaraderie born from social settings that blossom into trust, and opportunities extended to the budding protégés.
That’s where quotas come in. In a society raised on a diet of meritocracy, many of us have an inherent discomfort with the principle of quotas, especially when they are used to determine what would otherwise be positions of merit. But the truth is, quotas already exist in our system. We reserve seats in GRCs for minority candidates, to ensure representation of certain groups. We impose EIP quotas for HDB estates, to avoid enclaves. We keep spaces for students that are kids of alumni. Whatever one thinks of the merits these policies (see what I did there?), the fact is that quotas are quite pervasive, and so we should evaluate the assignment of quotas based on whether it makes sense for a given policy issue.
So is there a case for quotas based on gender? Research suggests that there is. There is a famous paper by a team of economists that did much to change minds. The paper used randomly-assigned quotas—the gold standard of scientific inference—to village councils in India. The paper found that quotas helped overturn long-held perceptions about to competence of women, and helped usher in lasting gains in representation, even after they were removed: https://doi.org/10.1162/qjec.2009.124.4.1497.
In some ways, this shouldn’t be surprising. Many historical inequalities are so deeply entrenched, a gentle shove is needed to shift mindsets and practices. Rather than tokenism, quotas work to displace old and outdated ways of doing things. That’s why I had proposed a limited quota for female corporate board representation: set a voluntary target, not too far above currently levels (I’d suggest 1/3), and require this for only large firms for a temporary period (say, 10 years).
Could less-meritorious people be out in place if we impose quotas? Perhaps. But we have to also believe that those who are chosen are always the best. For anyone that has observed how job selections occur in the real world, we know this is seldom true. If anything, quality could actually improve. Other research has shown that gender quotas in Sweden raised overall competence; hence, quotas can enhance meritocracy, by removing mediocre men: https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20160080. That’s why we should seriously consider a role for gender quotas for leadership positions, even if such quotas are temporary. It can address the gender imbalance in business or politics, and pave the way for a more equal world. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

41 mins ·
This week, #TeamSengkang were able to wrap up (on the nose!) house visits at 310A #Anchorvale. It wasn’t a massive block—just six units per floor—but folks were around, many were pleased to chat, and I was more than happy to oblige.
Two block-specific concerns had to do with water pipe leakages, and a misbehaving lift. For leakages, I assured the residents that I would be their collective voice to HDB, and, if necessary, appeal on their behalf for cost-sharing of pipe ruptures that would typically be the homeowner’s responsibility. For lifts, I promised to send a technician over to tweak the algorithm, but the good news was that all blocks in the cluster are now scheduled for a Lift Enhancement Program, after some effort on our part in pushing for it.
We also met with a family who shared that they were among the first households to move into the block, and the only one that remained from that first cohort. I enjoyed learning from them about how the complexion of the neighborhood had evolved over time; they, in turn, expressed their appreciation for a listening ear and an alternative voice in Parliament. It is conversations like these that remind us of why we do what we do. #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus inspects rubbish chutes and collects trash. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
Over breakfast the other day, Mom shared with me that when I was in primary school, I once wrote an essay about what I wanted to be when I grew up: a garbage collector (perhaps I was enamored by the trucks). Funnily, inspecting rubbish chutes and collecting items of trash is now indeed a part of my weekly estate walk routine, as well as what is now the quarterly #SengkangGRC #CleanSG Day. So in some ways, things have truly come full circle!
In seriousness, I do think that the task of keeping our environment clean relies on all of us doing our part. We shouldn’t have the mindset that it’s someone else’s “job” to clean up after us; after all, the trash we generate is because of our own choices about what we consume and dispose. I see cleaners as being there to help us along the way.
And as I’ve grown older, I’ve also seen the virtue of an honest job, done well. When I first went abroad for studies, I recall being surprised that garbage truck drivers are able to earn a respectable, middle-class income (today, their average salary in Australia is $60,000 a year). This is in part due to minimum wages, in part due to heightened productivity from mechanization, and in part due to what economists call a “compensating differential”; the premium a worker receives for taking on a job that is risky or unpleasant. My dream is that our economy will evolve into one where all workers—not just those at the high end of the educational and talent spectrum—receive sound, living wages that reward them for honest jobs, done well.
That’s why I see #CleanSG as such a positive exercise; both as a reminder to us of our collective responsibility, and as a way to appreciate the value of simple but essential jobs. As restrictions on larger gatherings have relaxed further, we took this opportunity to also make it a community event, and we were fortunate to have Sengkang General Hospital staff, Sengkang Town Council folks, #TeamSengkang volunteers, and even a good number of resident families join us this morning. Thanks to them all, and I hope the experience was as valuable for them as it was for me.