• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus and Team Sengkang went to a mosque. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
Mass celebrations have been severely curtailed over the past couple of years, and as social creatures, the absence of the rites and rituals associated with festivals is something that many do miss. So it was wonderful to be able to witness the crowd making their way to the local mosque at #SengkangGRC this morning for Hari Raya Puasa. #TeamSengkang made our way down as well, to wish the faithful an Eid Mubarak. We also put together a little song and dance (ok, the dancing was a little lame) for residents, and in case you missed it, here’s a link to the show:
1651586636046.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is concerned about rising prices. :cautious:

Jamus Lim

23 hrs ·
On Thursday, house visits by #TeamSengkang managed to wrap up 351D #Anchorvale, after having started on the block the week before. A number of conversations this week, as well as last, drifted toward challenges faced in the cost of living.
There is no denying that prices have risen across the board, and many households are finding it harder to afford basic necessities. Inflation hasn’t quite let up, with the latest numbers indicating that prices are 5.4 percent higher than the same time last year. Even core inflation—which, in the Singapore context, strips out the more volatile elements like transport and housing—bounced to a ten-year high in March. However one slices it, stuff is getting more expensive.
As an economist, I understand that many of the drivers of rising prices emanate from abroad: war in the Ukraine (which has led to spikes in the price of fuel and food), new COVID-19 waves in China (which has led to a prolongation of supply chain disruptions), and tight labor markets and shifting expectations about the nature of work (which leads to elevated wage demands). This last factor but has economists most worried. While wages have kept up with inflation thus far, they have been growing slower. Real wages—your salary taking into account inflation—grew by 2.1 percent in 2016-21, compared to 3.1 percent in the prior 5-year period. And although real wage growth is a good thing in general, when salaries keep ratcheting up, there is a risk of setting off a dreaded feedback loop, where rising wages prompts businesses to hike prices, which in turn renews calls by workers for higher wages, and so on.
The MAS now expects that inflation will range between 2.5 and 3.5 percent, a half percent increase from the previous 2–3 percent range. But this increment belies the reality that many families face (and is why Mom complains about every time she returns from the market). It is more expensive when we tapao from the hawker center, when we catch a bus or book a ride, and when we pay for utilities bills. These components have all not let up in recent months, and are actually growing at higher rates than just the average of 3 percent.
We’ve had several debates, in Parliament, about appropriate policy responses to inflation and rising costs of living. The government’s response, in the main, has hewed to a wait-and-see approach. This reflects, I think, their belief in the virtue of exercising caution and patience: this would allow inflation pressures to subside, for fiscal measures to come onboard, and for monetary policy measures to pass through.
I take a different view. I believe that we should be pulling policy levers that have the potential to have an immediate effect. People are hurting now, and need help today. If these aren’t efficient in the long run, remove them after relief is afforded. These include allowing faster SGD appreciation, offering petrol tax cuts (especially for those who drive for a living), and committing to not increasing GST until the economic coast is clear. The #workersparty has raised such common-sense proposals in Parliament, and will continue to do so.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus went to Northgate. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
Over the weekend, #TeamSengkang covered one of our newer clusters, Northgate, which was topped off with checking out the famous whale sculpture at the Sculpture Park—where a resident had reported some displaced tiles—and a visit to the nearby coffeeshop.
The coffeeshop is one of the oldest in the estate, and residents who frequent it share that they are long-time customers. And while many residents across #SengkangGRC tend to be on the younger side, the diners at the 263 coffeeshop are more elderly. As I sat down with a few of these uncles and aunties, I was able to learn more about their concerns, especially with facing rising costs, while living off fixed incomes. This will certainly be a concern should inflation become more persistent, eroding the CPF savings of retirees.

1652021057024.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you on a trip to Bekok. :wink:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
Planning to bring your family somewhere during the June holidays? Why not spend a day in Johor Bahru on a trip, with myself, to the serene town of Bekok to enjoy the street art mural, learn about Hakka culture, and at the same time enjoy delicious meals along with the chance to flex your shopping muscles at the malls? Come join us on the first #Anchorvale trip to Malaysia! For enquiries, please WhatsApp 8030 0032 or email [email protected] #SengkangGRC

1652101006993.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wrapped up house visits at Anchorvale. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·

This week, we wrapped up house visits at 317D #Anchorvale. The pace was a little faster than usual—we covered 10 whole floors over the course of the evening—but we nevertheless had a significant number of engaged conversations. As I always tell our residents (as well as #TeamSengkang), I do not believe in rushing through our visits, compromising the quality of feedback just to fulfill some vague target for block completion. Inevitably, this does mean that I have my work cut out for me in the months to come (we do house visits weekly, but at a pace of a half block every fortnight, and more than 120 blocks in #Anchorvale—you do the math).
One of those conversations returned to the matter of the rising cost of living. As one resident shared, this has been especially difficult for those living on fixed incomes. It is tempting, therefore, to seek some form of automatic wage increase that moves alongside rising prices—economists call this wage indexation. It is a rather tempting solution.
However, I also recognize the potential implications of wage indexation for inflation dynamics. It raises the possibility that a negative feedback loop may arise, with rising wage demands leading companies to raise their prices, which induces yet greater demands for wage hikes, and so on. Even so, as a fellow human being and consumer, I also understand that our salaries simply don’t go as far in the face of ever-rising prices. This is the story of inflation in Latin America in the 1980s and 90s.
I believe it is possible to help such people without resorting to automatic (and risky) wage-adjustment mechanisms. As prices rise, some of those increases could be offset by relief; since many items are subject to percentage taxation, the revenue for such support packages would come from a similar source: rebated taxes. One way to see whether more can be done is to check if the government is experiencing any unexpected net revenue windfall. If so, there is more room (economists call it “fiscal space”) for relief, either with temporary and targeted tax cuts, or transfer packages to groups that are hurting. #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus hopes that we find meaning and enlightenment. :wink:

Jamus Lim

10 hrs ·

Among the other achievements by Singaporean athletes at the SEA Games, our local Sprint Queen, Shanti Pereira, flew our flag high with her gold at the 200m event. What was probably more remarkable is how was willing to share that her win came amidst an extended period of wandering in the (metaphorical) wilderness, as she was plagued by a sense of inadequacy, and a feeling that she was “over the hill.”
It is absolutely human to feel this way. But what Shanti has demonstrated is that such self-doubt need not cripple our ability to go out there and give of our best, and to possibly surprise ourselves by what we can achieve. Whether we are 25 (as Shanti is) or 52 or whatever age multiple we find ourselves at, success is about infusing ourselves with a desire to surpass just the high standards we set for ourselves. And to find peace within, whatever the ultimate outcome.
This recognition of how we are constantly changing (anātman), and how life is itself in constant flux (anitya), also animates two central tenets of Buddhist philosophy. These ideals were espoused by Gautama Buddha, whose life, death, and teachings we celebrate on Vesak day, today. So while we revel in our sportsmen and women’s success on the ASEAN stage, may we also find our own path to meaning and enlightenment.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus covered a good part of Anchorvale Gardens. :wink:

Jamus Lim

12 hrs ·

Over the past weekend, our estate walk covered a good part of #Anchorvale Gardens, which—as the name implies—is embedded within a space with a fair bit of flora and foliage. I was happy to bump into residents that I had spoken with previously, and to receive an update from them about upkeep of the common spaces.
One upshot of the rich greenery in the cluster is that it is correspondingly harder to maintain. At the Parliamentary sitting earlier this month, MP Murali Pilllai delivered an adjournment motion, where he spoke (among other things) about the challenges of conservancy in newer HDB estates.
Anchorvale (along with much of the rest of #SengkangGRC) is an estate with slightly older (20+ years) and far newer builds, and having experienced both, I have some sympathy for this argument. The new estates have certain trappings—classy wooden boardwalks and trellises instead of harsh painted steel, stylish tiled and mosaic-lined walkways instead of crude concrete, and hidden instead of exposed water piping—but the consequence is more complicated maintenance issues. Materials like wood and tiles hold up less well in our hot and humid climate, frequent rain erodes more complex design structures, and the verdant greenery of manicured gardens can also quickly get out of hand, with weeds and algae sprouting quickly (as evident in the picture, even though the area just underwent high-pressure water treatment a few months back).
We are working with the town council to continue exploring longer-lasting solutions—for example, applying sealant to porous materials like cement and tiles, or after replacing wooden planking with high-grade cement, painting a floor mural—to ensure that any cost-effective approaches we adopt do not inadvertently lead to a perceived gradual “downgrading” of the estate’s environs. Rest assured, we’ll do our best to preserve the unique character and features of each neighborhood. #TeamSengkang
May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

jw5

Loyal
Jamus bought lunch for workers. :wink:

Jamus Lim

12 hrs ·

Every now and then, we buy our #Anchorvale conservancy workers and town council staff a simply biryani lunch (which we cater from a fellow #SengkangGRC small business). Over the past couple of years, this was a pretty decentralized affair; we mainly got them to gather to collect their food, before needing to disperse due to COVID-19 safe distancing measures. So this has been the first opportunity for me to sit down with the folks who do so much to keep our estate spick and span, and to convey our appreciation and send our encouragement to #TeamSengkang (as well as wish those who do celebrate a belated Eid Mubarak). #WuJio

jw5

Loyal
Residents talk to Jamus about jobs. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

6 hrs ·

Our #TeamSengkang house visits, which covered a little more than half of 334B #Anchorvale, featured a number of conversations about jobs.
A few residents spoke about working from home, and their experience with flexible work arrangements now that offices were reopening. They expressed their appreciation of the enhanced freedom this offered for them to meet their KPIs, along with saved travel time. One even felt that this should be the new norm, but said that many employers remained resistant to adopting such practices. I explained that the #workersparty has emphasized in Parliament how government can, by taking the initiative and setting the example, help shape private-sector practices that would help normalize such policies.
Another resident shared with me how her two children—both of whom work in essential services—were overworked, and exhausted. One child even considered leaving the country, in search of more forgiving working hours elsewhere. The other child was facing tremendous pressure in the workplace, as a new, inexperienced supervisor was parachuted into his position with inadequate understanding of the technicalities of the job. The resident explained that this phenomenon appeared to be increasingly commonplace, citing several other examples that she was aware of.
What struck me was the enormous gulf between the experiences of these two groups of workers. Are we seeing two Singapores emerge, and become entrenched in our economy? Where the winners from globalization and a knowledge-driven economy can strive for better work-life balance and job flexibility, while another group struggles with overloaded schedules and job insecurity? Or can we do more, as a society, to help balance out the tremendous gains some have been fortunate enough to enjoy, to help the others live a more dignified life? #SengkangGRC