• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus makes a speech on white paper. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·

The Workers' Party

9 hrs ·
Parliamentary Speech by Jamus Lim - White Paper on Singapore Women’s Development - 05.04.2022
In his speech on the Singapore Women’s Development, Jamus called for more decisive action by the government in public service to realize greater representation in women’s leadership and promote shared leave provisions, while calling for female mentorship programs to better enfold men and blue-collar workers.
Vid Credit: CNA

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·
Last week’s house visits allowed us to wrap up 314D, and get a start on 306A, #Anchorvale. As usual, we met residents with an eclectic range of views and feedback, along with encouragement from several fronts (including flag-bearing #workersparty supporters!).
One particularly encouraging feedback had to to do with how one resident shared that they were happy that we had been responsive to email requests for assistance. We do try our best to respond to each and every email. That said, I do clear my own email, and so there is occasionally a lag if a backlog develops when things get very busy. I’ve also had legitimate emails end up in our spam folder, and replied to only after it was retrieved much later. Still, our commitment is to respond to all contact, on issues big or small, because that is how we learn about the concerns of those that we serve. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1649684942754.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus spoke to Sonia. :wink:

Jamus Lim

10 hrs ·
I recently had a conversation with @soniachew on the @itsclarity.co series #MenExplain. Sonia was interested in how one balances relationships against career aspirations. I wouldn’t say that I’ve been especially successful in this—just ask my wife!—but I do try my level best to be a good husband and father, and at a different stage in my life, I did face choices between romantic and professional opportunities. So I was happy to share about how I thought the process through.
My gratitude extends to the wonderful team for making the session so comfortable to record (so comfortable, it seems, that I neglected to brush my hair, a peccadillo that I apparently carried into Parliament, and for which my mom and sister have harangued me on). Those interested in the session can see it here: (and those less inclined to seeing my ugly mug can just listen to the Spotify clip instead: ).

1649769462094.png

jw5

Loyal
WP launching a co-payment subsidy scheme. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·

1649771371571.png

The WP Community Fund

12 hrs ·
WPCF Handyman Subsidy Scheme
—————————————
We are launching a new co-payment subsidy scheme for seniors above the age of 60 who reside alone in selected HDB flats. As a start, the scheme will be piloted in 2 wards in Aljunied GRC (Eunos & Kaki Bukit) and Sengkang GRC (Anchorvale).
Known as “The Handyman Subsidy Scheme”, eligible seniors who have incurred bills for minor repair works in their homes - such as for electrical and plumbing works - can bring the receipt for such repair work to your local Meet-the-People session for review and approval (one claim per year). The subsidy will reimburse seniors up to a maximum of $50 for works done.
#wpcf #handyman

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wants to keep Sengkang clean. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·

1649775370881.png

Sengkang GRC

5 hrs ·
Come do your part to keep Sengkang Town clean!
Scan the QR code in the image to take part in this year’s SGClean Day event happening on Sunday, 24 April 2022.
Registration closes on Sunday, 17 April 2022 at 2359 hrs.
See you there!

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wants more financial protection for consumers. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
Although the common saying goes that fools and their money are soon parted, scams are especially insidious since they succeed when they fool others into parting with their money. Victims aren’t usually spendthrift or greedy, merely trusting. The OCBC case at the end of last year is a reminder that many innocent victims could lose their life’s savings in the blink of an eye, just by (mis)trusting seemingly innocuous messages sent from an apparently trusted source. We’d like to think that we’re inoculated from such scams, but the truth is, it only takes a careless moment (or even a distracted one) to let something slip through, and the mistake would have monumental effects on our life as we know it.
We’d also like to think that banks have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. They do, but unless there is some coordinated force to compel them to be more proactive, it’s easy to fall back on passing the buck to the consumer. After all, consumer protection actions are costly, and it’s unclear how much market share one could seize by being a first mover to offer such additional protections (they would be difficult to market). And banks don’t even always adhere to their own self-imposed standards (incidentally, I think deposit insurance, of up to a certain amount, is a different animal. These also require coordination, but have government backing. We have deposit insurance in SG, but the relatively paltry insured sums are a topic for another day).
Regulation appears in order. But our financial sector regulator is overcommitted; MAS is simultaneously the lender of last resort, banker to govt, inflation guardian, exchange rate intervener, financial stability promoter, financial developer, and financial regulator.
One way forward is to have a dedicated consumer financial protection arm, overseen by MAS, but operating independently. It would receive complaints from the public, and be empowered to advocate on behalf of the consumer. MAS has a division doing something like this, but its role appears to be more focused on the oversight of market professionals and sophisticated investors, rather than the common (wo)man. It also faces a longish reporting chain, rather than a direct line to the top.
We can also go further and legislate many of the key principles for financial protection, rather than rely solely on regulation. This leaves the finer details of rules to be decided by the regulator, but enshrines important consumer protection principles into law. This includes a better distribution of losses that have to be absorbed due to scams. There are ongoing discussions on this, under the rubric of the Payments Council. This is well and good, but in my view, still leaves too little end-user representation (MAS heads the Council, which has 5 bank reps, 4 payment provider reps, 5 big business reps, 5 trade association reps, and a clearinghouse rep. These are all business interests, with no direct consumer representation).
Ultimately, whether we choose to enact greater consumer financial protection depends on us. When I lived in the U.S., I remember being surprised by how I was easily able to challenge unrecognized transactions on my credit card bill, and get them written off. Merchants also become more careful about accepting fraudulent transactions, since repeatedly doing so could lead to them losing their ability to use a payments system. The entire system becomes more scam-resistant.
Many advanced nations have explicit consumer financial protection laws, which help ensure that financial institutions don’t just ask their consumers to “practice cyber hygiene,” but also take proactive steps to safeguard their customers. We can choose the same. We can do more to avoid scams like what plagued OCBC customers late last year. We can share financial risks more equally. The time for more consumer financial protection is now. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wishes believers a mindful Good Friday. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 hrs ·
The night before he was to be betrayed and sentenced to crucifixion, Jesus spent his time in prayerful contemplation. This week, Christians around the world have done the same. For believers, my best wishes for a mindful Good Friday, but one filled with joyous anticipation for the events to come on Sunday.

1650031380514.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

6 hrs ·
Our house visits this week allowed us to complete 306A, and get a quick start on, 310A (we had to end promptly, as I had a catch a bus over to St Anne’s for their Maudy Thursday service). This morning, we also walked around the #Anchorvale Harvest cluster, ending with a visit to the 329 coffeeshop (which has a newly-opened banh mi place!).
The concerns this round were mostly municipal in nature, including a number of longstanding ones about improving the quality of life in the estate. As I explained to those who shared, some of these efforts—such as elevator upgrades, additional covered walkways, and playground overhauls—do take additional time. This is because many require the town council to secure additional funding, as well as undergo the lengthy public procurement process; others further require the acquiescence of government agencies (because the works fall under the purview of these institutions).
We do appreciate residents’ patience in the meantime. Ultimately, we see our role as champions for #SengkangGRC, and we explore as many ways to realize resident feedback as possible—including escalating it all the way to Parliament. Even so, we are often bound by decisions made at the national level. #TeamSengkang