• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus trying to talk to aunty who is trying to have her lunch. :biggrin:

1641653000782.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus visited Sengkang Methodist Church. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
As part of our continuing effort to connect with various religious institutions in #SengkangGRC, #TeamSengkang recently visited Sengkang Methodist Church (SKMC), the only Christian church in #Anchorvale. We met with pastor-in-charge, Rev Dr Niam, together with lay leaders and various members. Our meeting, fortuitously, coincided with their quarterly community food distribution drive, and we got to witness their hard work for the residents of Sengkang. Indeed, their 21 years in the neighborhood has embedded the church deeply in the community that they serve, with a whole host of activities, including running a preschool, various bursary and financial assistance programs, along with various family-centered initiatives.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus makes a case in parliament. :thumbsup:

The Workers' Party

4 hrs ·
In his contribution to the motion on evolving toward a low-carbon society, MP Jamus Lim made the case for incorporating natural capital into our national accounting, and warned about unattainable promises from green financing, as well as the dangers of greenwashing. (12 January 2022)
Video Credits: Mediacorp

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

Anchorvale family tells Jamus Lim “finances are an ever-present worry”​

View attachment 131260

Singapore—Workers’ Party Member of Parliament Jamus Lim (Sengkang GRC) shared the challenges low-income households face after spending time with an Anchorvale family this week, writing that “finances are an ever-present worry.”

Associate Prof Lim wrote in a Friday morning (Jan 7) Facebook post that he and his team of volunteers have resumed house visits and other in-person, and met with the Oliveiros family at 305A #Anchorvale.

“As usual, I was only able to cover around half the block, as I had more involved conversations with a number of residents,” he wrote.

View attachment 131261

The Oliveiros family is in a “classic ‘sandwich’ situation,” added the WP MP, as they are taking care of school-aged children as well as supporting their elderly parents.

“But that isn’t all. Households in six circumstances also often face so-called cliff-edge effects in public assistance,” he added.

Getting a job, in and of itself, is not always the answer.

Prof Lim wrote that in some cases, employment means that “suddenly your income puts you so far above the cutoff for means testing that you’re ineligible for a whole bunch of welfare programs (so much so that, taken together, you may be not much better off with a job, than without).”

Even earning more than the minimum salary that qualifies someone for social services assistance does not always help either because it could mean that “you’ll find that there’s no help when someone in your family falls sick, even though you’re still living paycheck to paycheck.”

“Many families are one unexpected mishap away from wiping out their hard-earned savings,” he added.
Prof Lim acknowledged, however, that social assistance programs are now able to provide better help for people, and that people need to be encouraged to be self-sufficient. But this does not mean the system cannot be improved.

“Some programs—like Workfare—do help soften some of the cliff edge effects (albeit still insufficiently, in my view). And we do need to encourage self-sufficiency and not a welfare mindset. Yet I find that the bar for qualifying for state aid remains too low, the bureaucracy for proving real need too stringent and onerous, and the gap for those that are barely making it too wide. That makes hard living in Singapore—one of the world’s most expensive cities—continuously challenging,” he wrote.

Netizens commenting on his post thanked the MP for his on-ground work.

AASzE62.img
AASzSwF.img

• AASzXOG.img
  • AASzXON.img

One “sandwiched” commenter agreed with Prof Lim.

AASzXOO.img

jw5

Loyal
Jamus happy to write letters of appeal for residents. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
One of the more warm-the-you-know-what-heart aspects of being a voice for people is the enormous satisfaction gained when our letters of appeal find success. Appeals are always and uphill effort—almost by definition—but we always assure those who reach out to us that we write the very best letter we can, and hope that the specificities of the resident’s case warrants extra consideration.
As we wrapped up our visit to 305A #Anchorvale, I met with a few families who shared that the letters we had written previously bore fruit. One such resident was Shivanesan, who had dreams of pursuing a higher NITEC course, but was initially unsuccessful. He had studied hard, maintained an excellent attendance record, and had references from his previous instructors. So thankfully, he was able to continue pursuing his love for electrical technology, a course that he hopes to take even further, beyond graduation.
Youths like Shiva are a reminder that once we stumble on something we truly love, the rigors of studying often turn into pleasure, as burning interest takes the place of boring tedium. It was certainly the case for me, after I discovered economics (like most teenagers, I used to hate calculus). We just need to find that niche, that passion that we feel we were born to do. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...1xw2p_OuuK4GZSXuL9mUcos8uKpNMD0A&__tn__=*bH-R

jw5

Loyal
Jamus walks with his daughter around the estate. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 hrs ·
It’s been a while since my family joined me on our weekend estate walks, so this morning, we had a bring-the-daughter-to-work day, as we walked around the northern half of the #Anchorvale Grove cluster.
One of the things we check on is the status of our fitness corners and playgrounds. As both a parent and someone who exercises, I certainly want such equipment to remain safe and operational. So today our little one played the role of unofficial tester to two of the area playgrounds (and yes, we’ve noted the torn netting in one of them, and have alerted the property team about rectifying the issue). Being the outdoorsy person that she is, she had a blast. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC