• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus posts a picture of a lonely otter. :biggrin:

1640359228872.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus congratulates the Lions on their valiant effort. :thumbsup:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says today Singapore eliminated from AFF Suzuki Cup after 3 red cards, penalty miss in extra- time loss to Indonesia in semis Published December 25, 2021 Updated December 26, 2021 Aa

https://www.facebook.com/jamusjlim?__tn__=<<*F

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·

In competitive sport, there is typically a winner and a loser, and we often save our plaudits for winning outcomes. But what success is depends on our metric. For me, even while winning feels good, I’ve always felt that the way one plays is more important (I’d rather lose well, than win poorly). An excellent effort, in and of itself, is worthy of celebration.

So congratulations to the Lions on their valiant effort last night against Indonesia in the Suzuki Cup semifinals. They fought till the very end, on a side depleted to 8 men, and even went ahead at one point. They will surely look back on all the moments that could have gone differently. But they did not fail in my book, and we should still be immensely proud of their achievements. On to the next outing.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus looks forward to meeting new friends. :thumbsup:

May be an image of 1 person

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·

This week’s #TeamSengkang estate walk was a little more of an adventure than usual, as we explored a new cluster (for me), one of the five that recently came under my charge. #Compassvale Boardwalk is a relatively cosy precinct, comprising a handful of blocks, intersected by a boardwalk (which, presumably, gives the cluster its name). In addition to checking on routine cleanliness and maintenance matters, I was also able to chat with #SengkangGRC residents that I had not previously had the pleasure of meeting, given my overall focus on #Anchorvale. I’ll plan on covering the other new clusters (Cape, Northgate, Garden, and Lodge) in the months ahead, and look forward to meeting new friends then!

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

Raeesah Khan sticks to her story in second appearance before COP, as netizens question her credibility​

1640617745263.png

Singapore — Former Workers’ Party MP Raeesah Khan has stuck to her story that it was the party leadership who advised her to keep to the lie that she first told in Parliament on Aug 3.

Video footage of her second time testifying before the Committee of Privileges (COP) was released on Wednesday night. In the footage shown, she again insists that party chief Pritam Singh told her to “take the information to the grave”.

This was what Ms Khan had stated when she first testified before the COP, according to a special report that the committee had released on Dec 3.

This part of her initial testimony has been denied by WP secretary-general Pritam Singh, party chair Sylvia Lim, and vice-chairman Faisal Manap.

When the three party leaders testified to the COP in the days that followed, they all said that they never directed her to maintain her falsehood about accompanying a sexual assault survivor to a police station, where she also alleged that officers made inappropriate remarks to the woman.

She said again in her second testimony, “And the discussion that followed was that we would not pursue the matter further. And, like in my message, Mr Singh used the words ‘take it to the grave’.”

Ms Khan was asked by Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Edwin Tong, “Are you very clear about that? Is that your recollection?”

She answered, “Yes, I’m very clear… It is not a phrase that I would usually use. So it did not come from me.”

Furthermore, Ms Khan said, it was “extremely out of line” for WP leaders to portray her as mentally unstable in relation to the lie she told. She also denied other statements made by the WP leaders.

However, many netizens commenting on Ms Khan’s fresh testimonies have expressed disbelief over her version of what transpired.

• AAS94aw.img
  • AAS8ZBN.img
  • AAS92HT.img

Next Slide
Full Screen

1/3 SLIDES © The Independent Singapore

Others wondered why public resources were still being spent on the matter since Ms Khan has already admitted uttering those falsehoods.

It appears that as the committee hearings drag on, public sentiment may be turning increasingly against Ms Khan.

AAS972w.img
© The Independent Singapore
AAS9ba1.img

AAS98Nq.img
There are indications that popular opinion may also be getting impatient with the committee hearings.

AAS972w.img
Mr Tong has also come under fire from netizens.

• AAS9ba4.img
  • AAS9ba8.img
  • AAS92I9.img

Many indicate that they think Ms Khan has lost credibility.

AAS8X7M.img
AAS92Ig.img

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

WP’s Jamus Lim shares photo of daughter enjoying first taste of tangyuan​

1640704161771.png

Singapore — Usually Workers’ Party MP Jamus Lim’s posts on social media are usually about his work in Parliament and developments in the Anchorvale ward of Sengkang GRC.

But every so often, he will post photos of a more personal nature.

On Tuesday, he shared a photo of his young daughter enjoying a Winter Solstice treat of tang yuan for the first time.

The little one “couldn’t get enough of” bites of tangyuan, her father wrote.

“Around the world, festivals are an important way to remember the past, and to commemorate with practices that bind us together as a community.

By the same token, the passing on of tradition ensures that these memories persist in the generations to come.

This Dongzhi, our daughter is now old enough for her to partake in this festival, so today, she had her first taste of tangyuan (which she couldn’t get enough of, and yes, I broke them into bite-size pieces). For those who celebrate, a happy winter solstice.”

Tangyuan, or sweet rice balls, are traditionally eaten on the day of the shortest sunlight for the year.

1640704205907.png

According to this site, they are a symbol for the happiness of families reuniting.

“The shape and the pronunciation of tangyuan symbolize being together with your beloved one and family reunion.

The lucky saying of eating tangyuan is团团圆圆(Tuántuán yuányuán/ ‘group-group round-round’): Happy (family) reunion!”

Winter Solstice, which is an important festival celebrated by many in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

It is not the first time that the Sengkang GRC MP has featured his little girl on his social media accounts, although, like fellow MPs and young parents He Ting Ru and Louis Chua as well as many parents around the world, he obscures his little one’s face for protection and privacy.

On Halloween, he showed a photo of her in a Wonder Woman costume and said, “Now that I have a daughter of my own, I also have a better understanding of the fun that kids derive from dressing up and going house-to-house trick-or-treating for candy… We’re staying away from the sugary treats, but we did get the little one into an Amazonian costume of her own!”

For his part, to mark the Winter Solstice, WP chief Pritam Singh re-shared a photo of “a bowl of soya bean curd with wonderful tasting sweet rice balls” from 2017.

He offered this greeting: “Happy Winter Solstice! A day with the shortest daylight, but a long-celebrated tradition of many cultures, particularly in the East. Happy Dongzhi!”

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Jamus Lim starts estate walk in his part of Raeesah Khan’s former ward​

1640874283257.png

Singapore — Workers’ Party Member of Parliament Jamus Lim (Sengkang GRC) started this week with a new route to his estate walk, as the ward he’s representing has gotten bigger due to Raeesah Khan’s resignation on Nov 30.

Several clusters were added to each MP’s ward after Ms Khan stepped down.

In a Dec 26 Facebook post, Prof Lim called his most recent estate walk “a little more of an adventure than usual,” as he went to a new cluster that is “one of the five that recently came under my charge.”

In addition to checking on routine cleanliness and maintenance matters, I was also able to chat with #SengkangGRC residents that I had not previously had the pleasure of meeting, given my overall focus on #Anchorvale.”

He added that he was looking forward to “meeting new friends” when he goes to the other new clusters—Cape, Northgate, Garden, and Lodge “in the months ahead.”

Ms Khan, who along with Prof Lim, He Ting Ru and Louis Chua, won at Sengkang GRC in the 2020 General Election, had been representing Compassvale, which is found in the northern part of the constituency.

1640874353027.png

After she resigned following admitting that she had lied in Parliament twice, the Sengkang GRC map was redrawn and her ward was distributed among Prof Lim, Ms He and Mr Chua.

Ms He, who chairs Sengkang’s Town Council, announced in a press conference on Dec 2 that Compassvale residents would be taken care of.

“Enfolding Compassvale into the oversight of the three MPs ensures that all residents of Compassvale will continue to have a direct line of contact with an MP who will represent them.

Residents are welcome to reach out to any one of us, even if they reside in a different division, as they have always been able to do.”

Shortly afterwards, the three remaining MPs announced that alternative arrangements had been made, and posted a map of Sengkang GRC’s new divisions.

1640874415823.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus reflects about 2021. :thumbsup:

May be an image of sky and nature

Jamus Lim

5 hrs ·

It has been a long, difficult road through 2021. The effects of COVID-19 remained with us, with the the virus more resilient than science expected, populations more recalcitrant in their attitude toward inoculations than desired, and economies more resistant to uplift than the size of stimulus programs would have predicted. Some of us have loved ones and friends that have fallen along the way. Others have pulled through, but are worse for wear. Yet others are weary, especially those on the front lines of the battle against the pandemic.

In some ways, the turn of the year is a social construct, a way for us to mark another revolution of the earth around the sun (plus or minus about a quarter-day). But precisely because it is a social construct, it offers humanity a common way to turn the page and refresh our hearts, minds, and spirits as we approach the impending challenges—some new, many old—anew.

If 2021 hasn’t been great for you, hang in there, because as sure as the sun rises, better days will return. If it was wonderful, it may be worth pausing to consider how you may share some of that success and help those among us that have struggled a little more. Regardless of which applies to you, I wish you the very best possible year ahead. Happy New Year.

Postscript: This ad, which (algorithmically) popped up on my YouTube feed, was both reflective, yet was a reminder of remaining steadfast in our journey. It brought tears to my eyes.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus has become hybrid in how he works. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
Like many Singaporeans who started the new year with a return to in-person office work, the #workersparty likewise resumed our face-to-face ground activities this week. Our #Anchorvale meet-the-people session last night was nevertheless scaled down, with our letter-writer group continuing to work remotely, a split team of core volunteers, and crowd control adhering to separate waiting areas for vaccinated and unvaccinated residents.
Yet like many operations, we have also become very much hybrid in how we work. Many residents now reach out to us electronically, providing sufficiently extensive details that we are able to assist them that way. While we still prefer live interactions—the back-and-forth minimizes the risk of misunderstanding and misrepresentation—and we have also become rather adept at running Zoom sessions. As a business school professor, I have come to believe that such hybrid models will be the future of work.

jw5

Loyal

Jamus resumes home visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

12 hrs ·
This week’s house visits—which we resumed alongside our other in-person activities—took us to 305A #Anchorvale. As usual, I was only able to cover around half the block, as I had more involved conversations with a number of residents.
One family, the Oliveiros, shared about the challenges they faced as a lower middle-income household. For such families, finances are an ever-present worry. Not only do they often have elderly parents to support, they also still have school-aged children—the classic “sandwich” situation.
But that isn’t all. Households in six circumstances also often face so-called cliff-edge effects in public assistance. Get a job, and suddenly your income puts you so far above the cutoff for means testing that you’re ineligible for a whole bunch of welfare programs (so much so that, taken together, you may be not much better off with a job, than without). Or earn a few hundred above our very low income thresholds for social services assistance, and you’ll find that there’s no help when someone in your family falls sick, even though you’re still living paycheck to paycheck. Many families are one unexpected mishap away from wiping out their hard-earned savings.
To be clear: the system has evolved, over time, to better care for the least fortunate in our society. Some programs—like Workfare—do help soften some of the cliff edge effects (albeit still insufficiently, in my view). And we do need to encourage self-sufficiency and not a welfare mindset. Yet I find that the bar for qualifying for state aid remains too low, the bureaucracy for proving real need too stringent and onerous, and the gap for those that are barely making it too wide. That makes hard living in Singapore—one of the world’s most expensive cities—continuously challenging. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus does his rounds. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 hrs ·
I spent the morning doing my rounds at #Compassvale Cape, one of the new (and largest!) clusters currently under my watch. While I’ve had several sojourns to the neighborhood before in the past, looking into municipal maintenance aspects gives one a deeper appreciation of the nuances of day-to-day life in the precinct.
Like many #SengkangGRC neighborhoods, Cape has playgrounds. But I noticed a larger number than usual, each with its own twist off a nautical theme (one was a shipwreck, another, a tugboat). But there is also senior activity center and a mixed-development senior block—a testimony that our nation’s demographic profile is steadily but surely changing, even in estates with many otherwise young families (mixed-development blocks incorporate an ingenious design feature: by siting the senior units closer to the lifts and rubbish chute, it ensures that other residents on the floor occasionally touch base with the elderly—a modern-day approach to preserving the kampong spirit).