• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Official Euro 2012 Thread

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, i m not too sure to what level of "kelongness" they can achieve nowadays. I suspect very high level now. During Malaysia Cup, they can even control up to the mins of the goals. 2 World Cup ago, Brazil Vs China. Brazil was actually the underdog in that particular match due to Asia Handicap.
All they need to do is to tackle a few of the key players from each team. Not necessary the whole squad.

In the mid-90s in S'pore, number of penalties also can!!!! Ref kelonged.

Tackling a few key players from each team? Yes, you are right. There was one match whereby a fixer thought it was done deal. His players did not sabo him. He never expected another fixer involved. Best of all, each fixer bought a team and both teams were supposed to lose! No one wanted the ball. Not sure how it ended. Story was told to me quite sometime back.

Kagawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should be exciting.
My predictions:
Russia to beat Greece
Poland to beat Czech Republic - with Kuba and Lewandoski, seems too good for Czech Republic with Cech looking shaky.

I feel sorry for Czech Republic unless Poland fails to capitalize on it.

Euro 2012 Group A preview: Poland v Czech Republic

15 June 2012

12427400150.jpg

Despite two good performances at Euro 2012, co-hosts Poland must win their final group game against the Czech Republic to advance from Group A. Poland have drawn their opening two group matches of the European Championship and know that anything other than victory on Saturday against the Czechs will mean their time at the tournament is over.

Greece fought back for a 1-1 draw in Poland's first match of Euro 2012 and then showed plenty of determination to manage the same score against Russia on Tuesday.
But with the Czechs beating Greece 2-1 on Tuesday, Poland need to win to qualify for the quarter-finals. Russia top Group A with four points, ahead of Czech Republic (three points), Poland (two) and Greece (one).

To achieve victory on Saturday, Poland will need to find a way to score more goals.
Poland's two goals so far have been impressive with Robert Lewandowski powerfully heading home Jakub Blaszczykowski's cross against Greece, while the latter, who is also Poland's captain, struck a stunning goal to equalise against Russia. But coach Franciszek Smuda will stress the importance of taking chances as Poland have had 18 shots, with 13 on target, in their two games so far.

However, Smuda will need to fashion one of his players into a goalscorer because apart from Lewandowski and Blaszczykowski, no other Polish player in their Euro 2012 squad has reached 10 goals in their international career.
Importantly for Poland, they should face a goalkeeper out of form in Saturday's match in Wroclaw. Czech Republic's Petr Cech has let in five goals from 12 shots on target so far at the continental championships and has not been helped by poor defending.

In fact, Czech Republic have conceded almost two goals per game on average in 2012, which will give Poland plenty of confidence ahead of Saturday's match.
Smuda is hopeful defender Damien Perquis, as well as midfielders Dariusz Dudka and Eugen Polanski, will be fit after suffering injuries against Russia. Czech Republic captain Tomas Rosicky may not play in Wroclaw after admitting he can barely stand due to an injured Achilles tendon, while there is also some doubt on Cech who has a shoulder problem.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the mid-90s in S'pore, number of penalties also can!!!! Ref kelonged.

Tackling a few key players from each team? Yes, you are right. There was one match whereby a fixer thought it was done deal. His players did not sabo him. He never expected another fixer involved. Best of all, each fixer bought a team and both teams were supposed to lose! No one wanted the ball. Not sure how it ended. Story was told to me quite sometime back.

Ref act together with either the defender or striker. One of the M League or Cup you are saying right? Malaysia Team Vs Malaysia Team, if i m not wrong happened during Quah K S era. I heard of defender purposely scoring an own goal cos the other team really cannot make it...... Also during Quah's era. There's one of the games, if i did not remember wrongly SG against Kelantan. Kelantan players kick the ball out of play at every opportunity they have. The score ends up 0-0. :biggrin:

Last edited:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kelonging a soccer match is not as easy as speculated. If it is in Malaysia, Indonesia or even the Middle East, much easier. Same if in Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria etc. The lower divisions in established leagues in Germany, Italy and some Scandinavian countries are not spared too.

But when it comes to Euro and BPL, very much harder. These players are paid too well for them to risk it. Even if they decide to, can the fixers ensure they are able to place sufficient bet amounts to 'pay off' these players and make a tidy profit for the risks involved? Easier said than done.

Throwing a match in the EPL, WC or Euros is definitely a lot harder. Don't recall it ever happening in the Premier League.
The penalty for getting caught is a hefty jail sentence in additional to public humiliation and disgust.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Throwing a match in the EPL, WC or Euros is definitely a lot harder. Don't recall it ever happening in the Premier League.
The penalty for getting caught is a hefty jail sentence in additional to public humiliation and disgust.

That's why footballers are paid so much, but how much is enough? Footballing lifespan is short.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ref act together with either the defender or striker. One of the M League or Cup you are saying right? Malaysia Team Vs Malaysia Team, if i m not wrong happened during Quah K S era. I heard of defender purposely scoring an own goal cos the other team really cannot make it...... Also during Quah's era. There's one of the games, if i did not remember wrongly SG against Kelantan. Kelantan players kick the ball out of play at every opportunity they have. The score ends up 0-0. :biggrin:

Not sure which match my friend was referring to and I didn't ask. I was in the SPF then! Wouldn't be wise of me to probe coz if he suay suay teok arrested, I would be lumber 1 suspect.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not sure which match my friend was referring to and I didn't ask. I was in the SPF then! Wouldn't be wise of me to probe coz if he suay suay teok arrested, I would be lumber 1 suspect.

Ya lor. :biggrin:
Remember how Michael Vana escaped during the probe of his kelonging? Many higher ups will be dragged along if he's evicted.:biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I wouldn't bet it did not happen. Perhaps it wasn't detected. Everyman has his price. But you are right too - very much harder to do so in BPL, Euro. WC, I am not sure with some African teams.

There is one thing I am sure - kelong in sports can never be eradicated.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ya lor. :biggrin:
Remember how Michael Vana escaped during the probe of his kelonging? Many higher ups will be dragged along if he's evicted.:biggrin:

Vana and Abbas can never be compared to those involved during M'sia Cup days. Those who kelonged from S'pore and M'sian state teams are still in close contact. They meet up during the annual M'sia vs Spore ex-international matches. Some meet up during their personal trps.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wouldn't bet it did not happen. Perhaps it wasn't detected. Everyman has his price. But you are right too - very much harder to do so in BPL, Euro. WC, I am not sure with some African teams.

There is one thing I am sure - kelong in sports can never be eradicated.

I believe it is still ongoing, the amount involved in EURO and WC is too huge. Of cos, there are players who refuse to be on the take.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL have lah....back then got Bruce Grobberlaar and Fashanu scandal.

WC 1994....Escobar kena shot dead for kelong own goal.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Russia has 4 points, Czech Republic 3, Poland 2, Greece 1.

Russia need to win to qualify top of the group and at least draw to assure qualification.
Czech Republic need to win to assure qualification, because Greece may beat Russia.
Both Poland and Greece need to win, draw will be no good for them.

Should be exciting.
My predictions:
Russia to beat Greece
Poland to beat Czech Republic - with Kuba and Lewandoski, seems too good for Czech Republic with Cech looking shaky.

May I ask in group B if Holland beats Portugal by 1 goal margin and Germany beats Denmark, who then will qualify for the quarter finals.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Russia has 4 points, Czech Republic 3, Poland 2, Greece 1.

Russia need to win to qualify top of the group and at least draw to assure qualification.
Czech Republic need to win to assure qualification, because Greece may beat Russia.
Both Poland and Greece need to win, draw will be no good for them.

Should be exciting.
My predictions:
Russia to beat Greece

Can Greece qualify if she beats Russia and Poland draws with Czech?

jw5

Loyal
May I ask in group B if Holland beats Portugal by 1 goal margin and Germany beats Denmark, who then will qualify for the quarter finals.

I believe that the criteria for qualification is in this order:
goal difference, goals scored then head-to-head.

So it not only matters what is the margin, but what is the scoreline.

Let's say if Holland beats Portugal 1-0 and Germany beats Denmark 1-0,
Germany will qualify first, Portugal will qualify second ahead of Holland on goals scored and ahead of Denmark on head-to-head, since all 3 will have 3 points and the same goal difference.

jw5

Loyal
Can Greece qualify if she beats Russia and Poland draws with Czech?

Yes, because Greece will qualify ahead of the Czech Republic on goal difference.
In fact, depending on the scoreline, Greece can even finish first if they thump Russia.

Last edited: