• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

reminiscence of primary school days......

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cold Milo ?

thanks for compliment.

there were many "great" threads initiated by me. however, without any credible reasons whatsoever, many were DELETED abruptly by the anal-retentive jealous extreme screwball when he was put as the "moderator". there were many compliments i got for those threads. but on checking them in my profile, it's now stated as N.A.

i hope others would try to share such personal experience which we could reminiscent and pass it down to our younger generation. there are many important intrinsic values to be learned.

kids now only have one thing in common: their iphones with games or their psp with more games. their lives seem more to be revolved in such gadgets and are quite detached. the good o' days, the kids were more innovative and creative and could just make do with any available sticks, stones and etc to innovate a new game.

i remember we loved playing skipping and hopscotch. skipping ropes were maked from saved rubber bands. yep! we saved the rubber bands from which were used to tie mum's groceries which were usually wrapped and rubber banded in old newspaper,

as for hopscotch, if the game was played on a sandy ground, kids would simply use a stone to draw out the squares in a double T-shaped and a cresent. using a stone, a bottle cap or even a slipper, the game would proceed. if it was a concrete floor which was much better, the hopscotch would be drawn out using a chalk. if there was no chalk, we used a kind of powdey stone to draw. such stones were aplenty during kampong days.

the skipping rope game was further evolved into a sophisticated game where there were many patterns to play it and was especially popular with the girls.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
has our education system improved since my pri sch days?

obviously not!

during my pri sch days, it was always playtime after school. homeworks were hardly heard of. most were already done and ocmpleted during classroom time. once school was over, it was either tv or playtime with friends. childhood was never happier for me.

now it really sadden most parents to see their kids. even during primary 1, there are always unfinished homeworks to do after school. the workload increases as the kid advances through the grade. not only homework from school, there is now more homework from the tuition teacher.

what has our education evolved into? a overly homework starved slaved kid?

kids these days no longer behave like kids. no wonder more crimes are committed at a more tender age. education minitoot has better wake up to rectify if we hope our future generation to be more human than humanoids.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
F1 ? F9 ?

now it really sadden most parents to see their kids. even during primary 1, there are always unfinished homeworks to do after school. the workload increases as the kid advances through the grade. not only homework from school, there is now more homework from the tuition teacher.

ST_IMAGES_ZKROBOT06.jpg

Who actually hates the F1 racing track ? Everyone is in it one way or the other. What kind of Maths are we doing while your post-grads don't even need it after their gruelling exams were over ? The simple calculators are the ones that makes money for you instead of using the scientific calculators.

Our engineering and science scenes are the biggest flop. We even have robots that need more than a crutch to support itself to walk. How can we develop something like what the Japs and the Koreans do ? We are not even on par with PRC or maybe even Taiwan (ROC).

Go and do MLMs, property, and insurance lah.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: F1 ? F9 ?

6:30 a.m. neighborhood kids gather downstairs to wait for school bus. Whilst waiting for the bus, boys played tokkah (hopping one-legged catching two legged running) and girls played zero-point (jumping over rubber band knitted ropes).

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

kites flying was very common then. it was advanced into kites fighting where the threads tying to the kites were enhance with crushed powdered glass that was sharp to cut the opponent's string tied to their kite. once their kite string was cut, he lost the game. it was very exciting to watching players "tarik" their strings to cut each other's kite off the hook.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

it seemed that using glass from the green bottles made sharper strings than glass from clear bottles. Never could verify that.

kites flying was very common then. it was advanced into kites fighting where the threads tying to the kites were enhance with crushed powdered glass that was sharp to cut the opponent's string tied to their kite. once their kite string was cut, he lost the game. it was very exciting to watching players "tarik" their strings to cut each other's kite off the hook.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i came from a all boys SAP school, from pre-primary to primary to secondary. i remembered that my primary school teacher will hit my knuckles with his wooden ruler when i misbehave. i also kanna caning at the principal's office... :o but i am not a bad pupil. always scribble my homework and hand in on time. my favorite past time then was fighting spider, i have them in those sour plum bottles. poke a few holes on the cap and let the little beast breathe. no trophies though when it won fights against others.:biggrin:

the era of my primary school days were so much different from now.

who wanna stand sharing?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That was most exciting during school holidays in old Katong Park (now Fort Road ECP area). We stole grandpas' beer bottles to crush into shards for kite strings. Flying kite was only basic theory to begin with to get the kite up high and far. Fighting kite was the real game.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it seemed that using glass from the green bottles made sharper strings than glass from clear bottles. Never could verify that.

Yes, not verified but popularly believed and practised in those days. We'd prefer green or brown beer bottles, not soft drink clear bottles.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, not verified but popularly believed and practised in those days. We'd prefer green or brown beer bottles, not soft drink clear bottles.

Never participated although I see boys and men carrying tall branches to catch the strings of runaway kites. It is quite dangerous as I heard some guys got hit by passing cars or fall into drains. Sometimes a kite will fall into our garden.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Never participated although I see boys and men carrying tall branches to catch the strings of runaway kites. It is quite dangerous as I heard some guys got hit by passing cars or fall into drains. Sometimes a kite will fall into our garden.

Long range kite flying had several miles of string. Flying a kite from Tanjong Rhu to the border of Marine Parade before it got cut by somebody else around Marine Parade wasn't uncommon. Not that the sky was the limit, but the visual range was the limit. But that's sabotaging long range kite flying for the fun or spite. Serious kite fighting and cutting were usually short range. Anyway, we cut down other people's long range kites too. Part of the fun and game.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hey bro....why you fight the spider ? ... and who usually won ?:p

i came from a all boys SAP school, from pre-primary to primary to secondary. i remembered that my primary school teacher will hit my knuckles with his wooden ruler when i misbehave. i also kanna caning at the principal's office... :o but i am not a bad pupil. always scribble my homework and hand in on time. my favorite past time then was fighting spider, i have them in those sour plum bottles. poke a few holes on the cap and let the little beast breathe. no trophies though when it won fights against others.:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another one, shooting marbles. Draw a circle on the sand and players pot up to place coins in it. Then use marbles to shoot the coins out of the circle. For pure marble game without involving money, there were two types of marbles, clear and blur (a.k.a. goondu), i.e. you shoot marbles with marbles just to win more marbles. Goodu was usually the shooting marble, just like the white ball in snooker. There were variations in the rules but usually a licence was required, i.e. you managed a first strike on target to collect licence before you next strike could collect money or marbles.

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

my cousin was very good to train top skilled fighteing spiders. he would house the spider in a dried chilli fruit while mine was happy with the fresh plucked leaf which it hid. cousin said that the hot chilli gave the spider a firely nature. his spider was the champion among the kids. another secret he shared was feeding the spider only with the head of caught housefly instead of the whole insect. according to him, the 2 big reddish eyes of housefly was suppose to be nutritious "insect blood" to heighten the fighting spider's vigour and strength.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There's no such thing as SAP school from kindergarten to pr. sch. Only sec. sch., you SAP twit!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought you all say i fuck spider!:o

hey bro....why you fight the spider ? ... and who usually won ?:p

my cousin was very good to train top skilled fighteing spiders. he would house the spider in a dried chilli fruit while mine was happy with the fresh plucked leaf which it hid. cousin said that the hot chilli gave the spider a firely nature. his spider was the champion among the kids. another secret he shared was feeding the spider only with the head of caught housefly instead of the whole insect. according to him, the 2 big reddish eyes of housefly was suppose to be nutritious "insect blood" to heighten the fighting spider's vigour and strength.