• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu congratulates colleagues. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing added a new video.​

2 hrs ·
Congratulations to colleagues on your well-deserved promotions and new appointments!
In the last 2 years, even through the toughest times, our teachers have stepped up to ensure that students’ learning needs were met, and their well-being taken care of. I am grateful for your dedication and I thank you sincerely.
We want to care for our teachers by ensuring that:
▪️
We have a shared understanding of our opportunities and challenges.
▪️
Teachers are equipped with skillsets and mindsets to do your jobs well.
▪️
Support is given to teachers continuously in all ways, and in turn help you to care for our students.
At the Ministry of Education, Singapore 2022 Promotion and Appointment Ceremony today, I spoke on 3 areas that we will put greater emphasis on:
1️⃣
Leveraging technology to manage workload for teachers.
2️⃣
Enabling and encouraging greater agency in our school leaders and teachers.
3️⃣
Strengthening the competencies of our teachers to deal with the demanding social-emotional development needs of our students.
[Read my speech here: https://go.gov.sg/promo2022]
We will support you to realise your potential, as you help our students realise theirs.
In you, we entrust the future of our students, and of our nation.

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Skills training must improve on 4 fronts for S'pore workforce to stay competitive: Chan Chun Sing​

1651243403255.png

SINGAPORE - Singapore must innovate to help smaller companies communicate their skills training needs so that training institutions can respond quickly, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing.

To this end, trade associations and chambers and professional bodies can take on a bigger role in driving skills development, he added.

Mr Chan said SkillsFuture Singapore has plans to partner these organisations to identify skills that are in demand and to develop skills-based career pathways.

This will kick off with a tie-up between the Infocomm Media Development Authority and the Singapore Computer Society and SGTech, a tech trade association, Mr Chan said.

This is one of four fronts where Singapore's skills training system must change to keep the workforce resilient and economically competitive, Mr Chan said at the launch of the first Workplace Learning Conference on Tuesday (April 26).

He cited three other areas for improvement - adult learning, partnerships between institutes of higher learning and industry, and companies' approaches towards building Singapore's talent pool.

The conference was organised by Singapore's five polytechnics, along with the Institute of Technical Education, the Institute for Adult Learning and the Singapore Institute of Technology. It was held at the Lifelong Learning Institute in Paya Lebar, and supported by SkillsFuture Singapore.

About 800 Singapore and foreign business leaders and educators attended talks on topics such as staying competitive and improving employee performance and retention.

Mr Chan noted that many companies want to train their workers but do not know how to articulate this need.

He said the National Centre of Excellence for Workplace Learning (Nace), which is led by Nanyang Polytechnic, has done much to strengthen support structures for workplace learning.

"In a short span of four years, Nace has helped about 1,500 local companies implement structured training programmes and develop a stronger learning culture," he said. "I am glad to hear that of these, about 70 per cent are local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)."

Last year, Nace also launched the National Workplace Learning Certification scheme, he added. It recognises progressive organisations that have structures and processes in place for good training practices at the workplace.

On Tuesday, Mr Chan gave out nine of these certificates to organisations such as Metropolis Security Systems.

He added that while interventions such as Nace's work at the company level, there should also be system-wide moves catering to the training needs of SMEs, which employ about 70 per cent of Singapore's workforce.

"This segment of our economy is often resource-strapped and preoccupied with day-to-day demands of their business operations," he said.

"We need to find better ways to support our SMEs to ensure that there is a better match between their skills demand and supply."

This is where trade associations, chambers and professional bodies can do more, he said.

Mr Chan also spoke on rethinking adult education, noting that it is fundamentally flawed and inadequate to approach adult education with the idea that adults should go back to school, or by making minor adaptations to pre-employment training.

Instead, the workplace must be used as a conduit for continual learning, he said.

"It is also at the workplace, where learning is most authentic and relevant. The workplace setting allows for customised on-the-job learning that will directly benefit both the employee and the employer."

Institutes of higher learning can also strengthen their relationship with industry through programmes such as staff exchanges to help faculty access the latest industry knowledge, Mr Chan said.

"The exchange of knowledge between institutes of higher learning and industry will uplift capabilities for industry transformation, as well as plant the seeds for us to do better for our adult learners."

Mr Chan said these changes are crucial to keeping Singapore’s workforce current in the new economy.

“At the Straits Times Education Forum earlier this year, I underscored that we cannot just rely on the annual pipeline of fresh graduates to meet our industry needs for emerging skills,” he added.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu went outside his comfort zone. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

4 hrs ·
Filming this video was outside of my comfort zone. I am surprised how a personal chat with Royston Tan on mental health sparked such an intimate video.
More importantly, we want more Singaporeans to know that mental health can affect anyone. We can be #BetterTogether when all of us come together to do our part to raise awareness and drive collective action for mental health in Singapore.
Take the first step. It can be as simple as sharing a positive note with loved ones and friends, or simply asking after someone. We might not know who needs it.
#BetterTogether
#PAP4SG

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu discusses mental health. :coffee:

Chan Chun Sing

3 hrs ·
Mental health is not a binary concept of black or white. All of us can be in different stages on the entire spectrum of OK or NOT OK, at different points in time.
We can always do something to help ourselves and others. We can build a community of support, starting from the individual to small groups, and beyond. If so, no matter what help one may need, help will always be accessible and there will be someone whom we can reach out to.
I am glad to discuss these important issues with Sun Xueling, Wan Rizal, as well as our many partners and various support groups today. Thankful to all of them, including the wonderful crew at Apiary, which launched a limited edition ice cream named #BetterTogether, with a portion of its proceeds to be donated to the Singapore Children’s Society in support of efforts around youth mental health.
We can all work together for collective action. We are #BetterTogether.
#PAP4SG
People's Action Party

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu met OSOs. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing added 3 new photos.​

20 hrs ·
Meet Mdm Ng Choon Tee, Mr Khamis Bin Jamain, and Mr Lek Ah Piew. They are part of the team of Operations Support Officers (OSOs) who support the operational, logistical, and administrative needs in our schools.
In the past 2 years, our OSOs have played an essential role in keeping our schools clean and safe for students and teachers. There has been extra work – like putting out and refilling the now-ubiquitous wipe-down kits in classrooms and canteens, sanitising high-touch areas, and deep cleaning and disinfecting classrooms – which they have all taken in their stride. And this is not the only work they do. Tap on the photos to find out more about Mdm Ng, Mr Khamis and Mr Lek.
This May Day, I would like to thank our OSOs, teachers, and school administrators for their hard work for the school community. Because of their strong sense of responsibility and ability to adapt quickly to multiple changes, we could keep learning going and now, resume more school activities.
Wishing all a restful holiday and long weekend!
#ourschoolstories

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wants to support our children. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

10 hrs ·
What can we as a society do to support our children for the future?
The most important thing that we can do for them in their growing up years is to instil confidence in them, as I shared with our teachers Faisal and Owen here.
In this video, we had a conversation on what confidence for a new tomorrow entails.
Part 1, on supporting students to be future-ready: Part 2, on teachers’ well-being and priorities: #CCSsgcycles

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wishes his Muslim friends Selamat Hari Raya. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing

2 hrs ·
Selamat Hari Raya to all our Muslim friends! Wishing you and loved ones a blessed celebration filled with bliss and happiness.
Cahaya Ramadan berlalu pergi,
Menyambut tibanya Aidilfitri,
Ampun maaf segala peri,
Semoga ikatan kekal dihati.
Selamat Hari Raya maaf zahir batin.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu went to MacRitchie Reservoir. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

13 hrs ·
Went round MacRitchie Reservoir once again a few days ago.
The first time I went round the reservoir was during my Secondary 1 Scouts orienteering…with map and compass.
1f605.png
1f605.png

There was no TreeTop Walk or Boardwalks by the reservoir then
1f605.png
Thanks to NParks, now the trails are well-signposted and well-maintained. No need compass and map to get around.
1f4aa.png
1f923.png

1651585266566.png

jw5

Loyal
A book title caught Keechiu's eye. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

8 hrs ·
Book title caught my eye. Resonated much with me.
No one standard teaching method can cater to the diverse learning needs of our students. In teachers we trust, to customise the last mile teaching to bring out the best in our students.
As such, we will empower our teachers to have greater agency in the design of the curriculum for their students.
#CCSreads

1651588724384.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visits Woodgrove Secondary School. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing added 8 new photos.​

13 hrs ·
Chloe showed me a series of failed prototypes. Frowning slightly, she said “3D printing is quite hard”. She listed the various tweaks that she made, and how she eventually got her intended products. Handing me a keychain that she had printed, she quipped “Today you’re lucky, because now that I have figured out the processes, you will have a keychain with your name
1f604.png
!”
A seasoned speedcuber, Jerome cheerfully shared that his best record stands at 8 seconds, but didn’t miss a beat in adding “but the fastest record in the world now is 3.47seconds!”. Driven by his passion, he started speedcubing as a new CCA in the school, which got his schoolmates interested in the Rubik’s Cube as well.
I have been asked if I only get to see the good sides of schools during my visits
1f606.png
– the candid interactions with students are actually what I enjoy the most. These reflect the heartbeat and culture of the school, and the personalities and aspirations of our students.
Had a great time during my visit to Woodgrove Secondary School. From Changrun facing me off in a game of Connect4, to Zhuo Xuan patiently teaching me to play pool, the candour and spirited personalities of our students made for easy banter and many moments of laughter.
Thank you for having me at your school! May all of you continue to believe in yourselves, and do justice to your diverse talents.