• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal

Keechiu visited Pioneer JC.

Chan Chun Sing added 4 new photos.​

8 mins ·
Mr Koh Chit Siong had his share of run-ins with teachers in his student days, and is now the Discipline Master
1f642.png
— he shared that his own experiences in his youth gives him a better understanding of his students.
Ms Liu Weiling was a fashion designer with her own label who found her calling in teaching when she lectured at LASALLE College of the Arts. She is now part of the Computing teaching team, and recently won the Best Computing Teacher Award
✨

Ms Chia Kel-Li has been teaching history for 19 years and her passion for the subject has seen her making personal trips to Russia to “see history come to life”.
Mdm Estelle Chia was a teacher for 7 years, but found even greater fulfilment after becoming a school counsellor.
Enjoyed meeting the educators when I visited Jurong Pioneer Junior College this morning, and getting to know them and their broad-ranging interests. I could see that their diverse experiences within and beyond the classrooms enriches their teaching and mentoring of students.
Our teachers have been giving their all to nurture our students to reach their fullest potential. And we understand that our teachers too, seek a sense of personal and professional growth.
Ministry of Education, Singapore will extend greater support for our teachers to gain additional exposure beyond their current roles in schools. This includes novel, refreshing experiences in the public, private and people sectors. And new areas for inter-disciplinary learning.
From next year, we will put in place structured processes for teachers to embark on a range of attachment opportunities. We aim for it to be a norm for all our teachers to have such exposure.
Our teachers today are expected to play many more roles, beyond imparting knowledge. As parents of students, or part of our larger community, let us always give them our fullest support and care.

1633960624752.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu congratulates all our winners of WorldSkills Singapore 2021.

Chan Chun Sing added 4 new photos.​

14 mins ·
Congrats to all our winners of WorldSkills Singapore 2021!
This year, a total of 20 Gold, 21 Silver and 19 Bronze medals were awarded in 18 skills areas. Top medallists, together with selected winners from WSS 2020, will represent Singapore on the world stage at the WorldSkills Competition in Shanghai in 2022.
ITE student Winnie Leow is one of the Gold Medal winners, clinching the top prize in the Information Network Cabling skills area. Winnie’s father used to run an electrical engineering company, and she picked up trade knowledge and valuable skills of electrical works along the way. Her passion for the line of work grew – along with her belief that women can excel in this male-dominated industry. She is now looking forward to further improving her skills and learning from the best while competing in Shanghai.
Another Gold Medal winner is Braedon Tay from Nanyang Polytechnic. Armed with a passion for Chemistry and an interest in seeing chemical reactions come to life, Braedon joined WSS 2021 to put his skills to the test. His dedication has paid off - there was a period when he trained for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 4 weeks straight !
Thank you SkillsFuture SG, Institute of Technical Education, Singapore and our polytechnics for giving our talented students a platform to shine.
To Team Singapore
1f1f8_1f1ec.png
competing at the WorldSkills Competition in Shanghai in 2022 — I am sure you will do us proud!

1634133570416.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu asks N Level students to give themselves a pat on the back.

Chan Chun Sing

4 hrs ·
Today is the final day of exams for our N-level students!
Give yourselves a pat on the back for all the hard work
1f642.png
. Have a well-deserved rest, and do consider exploring short internships when you’re ready, as you await the exam results. This will allow you to try out professions that you might be interested in, and guide you in your choice of specialization as you progress to the next stage of your education.
For those who are interested in the Direct-Entry-Scheme to Polytechnic Programme, which allows Sec 4N(A) students to be admitted directly into a 2-year Higher Nitec programme at the ITE, some background info can be found here:
https://www.moe.gov.sg/post-secondary/admissions/dpp
Our O-level students will be taking their written exams, starting from next Monday
1f4aa.png
. Do remember to pace yourselves, and take study breaks as you prepare for the papers. It has been >30 years since I took my O-levels, but I still firmly believe in this study tip, which I give to my own children as well —getting sufficient rest helps you to be in your optimal state, which is key to doing well for the papers.
Take care and all the best for the upcoming exams!
[
1f4f7.png
: N-Level students at Yuan Ching Secondary School, taken pre-Covid]

1634220578756.png

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Limiting time on digital devices, boosting family ties important to support children during pandemic: Chan Chun Sing​

1634221789961.png

SINGAPORE - Building a strong family network where problems can be openly shared with parents is one way to help children navigate the changes brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing.

Speaking at a virtual panel discussion about children's mental well-being, he added that the culture of constant comparison between peers online and lack of extended family support could adversely affect them.

Hence, there is a need to encourage children to practise cyber wellness by limiting their access to digital devices.

"I think we need to have a conversation with our children, to allow them a 'disciplined access' to such devices so that they do not keep fearing that they are missing out on something if their friends are chatting on various apps, exchanging information or exchanging photos," said Mr Chan.

As information is easily accessed online, he added - at the event organised by ground-up initiative Makan Already - that it is important for children to develop the skills to critically analyse the content they come across.

Other panellists at the event included co-founders of Makan Already Tan E-Ching and Larry Loh, who spoke about parenting concerns during the pandemic.

In response to questions from Mr Loh on how parents could strike a better balance between work and responsibilities at home, Mr Chan said he hopes to strengthen parent support groups within all schools in Singapore. The move will allow parents to draw from the experience of others.

Mr Loh shared his experience in caring for his toddler. He said: "Immediately after my daughter's birth last year, Singapore had a circuit breaker. During my wife's confinement, my daughter developed a feeding aversion, where she refused to drink milk.

"There was a lot of anxiety and stress as a new parent. And I struggled with caring for my child and my wife while working from home."

Mr Chan noted the need for parents to seek help from peers and family during this period.

"One of the biggest challenges about help-seeking behaviour is that people still feel judged, and we need to create that environment to let everybody know that all of us require some help from others at some point in life," he added.

Dr Tan asked Mr Chan what values could be inculcated in children from an early age.

Taking the example of cyber bullying, Mr Chan noted that it is more effective to address the issue at its root by teaching children to be kind to their peers .

He said: "To be able to project kindness and to take care of other people is really a sign of confidence and a sign of that magnanimity of spirit that we want our children to grow up with. This is the first value I believe we should teach our children."

Mr Chan also touched upon the need for parents to adjust their own expectations and focus on their child's improvement and growth as opposed to examination results.

He said: "In life, there may be many situations where they may not get the result they want despite trying their best. If that is the case, we should encourage them to push on and try again."

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited ACS.

Chan Chun Sing added 5 new photos.​

58 mins ·
“Did you face challenges sourcing for parts when building this 3D printer?”
“Minister, I printed parts that I needed using a 3D printer. So a 3D printer helped to build another 3D printer
1f60a.png

Just like in science fiction, machines are multiplying themselves…… (ok, not quite!)
Enjoyed meeting Sean Seah and his schoolmates, who are passionate about technology, at the Digital Maker Zone (DMZ) and Changemaker Lab (CM) at ACS Independent Online. The DMZ houses high-speed 3D printers and computers which enable students to design and manufacture innovative products, while the CM Lab provides laser cutters and other hand tools necessary for students to create prototypes to test their innovative ideas. In addition, these venues support STEM and research efforts through programmes that allow students to create precise models for more robust experimentation.
I also observed ACS(I)’s Advanced Science Programme for the Years 5 & 6, where students embark on scientific inquiry through designing their own projects and conducting interesting science experiments.
We believe in encouraging students’ curiosity in science and technology through providing a facilitative environment, and enabling students to take ownership of their learning. This is important, because we are not prepping our students to solve the problems of today with the solutions of yesterday – they will be addressing the challenges of tomorrow with solutions that lie beyond our current knowledge and imagination.
A decade from now, our students will be working in professions that don’t yet exist. By nurturing a spirit of independent and self-enabled learning, and exposing them to evolving science and technology, we hope to equip them for a future where scientific and technological disruptions are the norm, and to uncover solutions that will help Singapore and our community to thrive amidst constant change.

1634305846148.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu helps to distribute care packs.

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

Chan Chun Sing​

Yesterday at 14:11 ·

Families, neighbours, friends and colleagues, even complete strangers, have chipped in to help those recovering from Covid-19 at home. They have offered their assistance in many ways, from counselling to delivering essential items like medicine and groceries. These acts of kindness provide assurance and help them through this difficult period.

Our colleagues from People's Association have been joining many others islandwide in tirelessly preparing and distributing care packs to residents under the home recovery programme. Even though they are now unable to physically interact with one another, our residents know that they are around. I am very thankful to all our colleagues, grassroots leaders and volunteers. They are truly our backbone in My Buona Vista.

Wishing them and all residents the best of health. Please take care.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu enjoyed reading about SG's reserves.

Chan Chun Sing

12 hrs ·
What a fascinating read. I encourage everyone to read this book to understand how we painstakingly built up our reserves over the years to chart our own destiny.
Particularly interesting was the part on surviving a “second separation” - Singapore to have our own currency instead of a common one with Malaysia - shortly after the “first separation” of 9 August 1965 with Malaysia. CCS

1634478957785.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu attended convocation ceremony at SIT.

Chan Chun Sing added 3 new photos.​

4 hrs ·
Attending the convocation ceremony of the graduands from the Singapore Institute of Technology Bachelor of Accountancy programme this morning, reminded me of my sister’s graduation >30 years ago.
She was the first graduate in our family and we were filled with pride as we watched her receive her hard-earned degree on stage. However, days later when she joined an accounting firm, she was simply told “You can start learning now”.
This seemingly harsh advice is actually a good reminder of how life is a process of continuous learning. What matters is not how much we know at the beginning, but how fast we learn, unlearn and relearn as we adapt to changing circumstances.
With SIT at the forefront of applied learning pedagogies, and its emphasis on accumulating industry experience, its graduates are no doubt off to a running start. However, the skills profile and functions of our jobs will evolve over time in tandem with the technological trends. And all of us must embrace the journey of lifelong learning.
To all our graduates – I strongly encourage you to return to your alma mater over the course of your career to update your skills and learn new ones. Not only will this expand your knowledge, it will enrich your life by deepening your relationships with mentors and fellow alumni.
As you progress in your lifelong learning journey, remember to apply what you have learned to benefit the broader community -- success is defined not just by what you can do or what you achieve for yourself, but what you do for others around you.
Congratulations once again to SIT’s Class of 2021 and wishing you all the very best!
[
1f4f8.png
: Singapore Institute of Technology]

1634649976887.png