• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lets break chinese tradition lion dance ;)

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not many la in my estate, security+cleaners+rubbish collector = 18 ang pow of 200baht each its only 3600 baht. Gardener 500 baht. Maid 5000 baht. You see in Thailand its not too much for us la. I give partners kids more like 2000 baht each but total only 5 kids so not too bad. Of course there are also my regular special waters and waitresses of the restaurants I visit regularly. In Singapore my many nieces and nephews more jialat total 21 kids.

Its nice la.
Think now market rate for SG children is minimum SGD 10. For relatives, think at least SGD 20, if SGD50 and above, you are the bestest uncle!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I agree I best uncle for many years already, been $50.00 for so long not increase for so many years. Maybe they are expecting an increment from me due to higher costs of living and inflation in Singapore.

Fuck PAP knnccp LKY still alive.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Draco = Devil ?

in black neighborhoods in the u.s., panther rules.

yo brother, black power to the people
Black Panther.jpg

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it has cultural values that can be carried forward for the benefit of society, by all means retain the lion dance.

Now what values does it represent?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it has cultural values that can be carried forward for the benefit of society, by all means retain the lion dance.

It represents the Chinese value of superstition that when there're festive seasons, there must be noise pollution. The lion dancers collect red packets, i.e. salesmen of superstition in the name of tradition. In their spare time, i.e. most of the time, they're gangsters looking for fights.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not many la in my estate, security+cleaners+rubbish collector = 18 ang pow of 200baht each its only 3600 baht. Gardener 500 baht. Maid 5000 baht. You see in Thailand its not too much for us la. I give partners kids more like 2000 baht each but total only 5 kids so not too bad. Of course there are also my regular special waters and waitresses of the restaurants I visit regularly. In Singapore my many nieces and nephews more jialat total 21 kids.

Its nice la.
Best Uncle always spoiling market rate. Now other uncles and aunties have to upz their Ang Pows.

I agree I best uncle for many years already, been $50.00 for so long not increase for so many years. Maybe they are expecting an increment from me due to higher costs of living and inflation in Singapore.

Fuck PAP knnccp LKY still alive.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
when i was learning martial arts (traditional chinese), lion dancing has strong linkage with wu guan (hong fist is the leader in local scene with lion dance). I actually find it sort of insulting by mixing it with modern silly dance. I believe this troop most likely is from some CC and not belonging to any traditional Wu Guan. No shifu will allow this, its really an insult to the tradition.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
when i was learning martial arts (traditional chinese), lion dancing has strong linkage with wu guan (hong fist is the leader in local scene with lion dance). I actually find it sort of insulting by mixing it with modern silly dance. I believe this troop most likely is from some CC and not belonging to any traditional Wu Guan. No shifu will allow this, its really an insult to the tradition.

vomjok since now I know you learn this before may I ask you something. I've seen a very fierce flat faced lion before with like sabres as tooth and black and green colour face. What type of lion dance is this? Oh the people also carry sabres to play with this lion too. And the drum I think also sounded different.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
vomjok since now I know you learn this before may I ask you something. I've seen a very fierce flat faced lion before with like sabres as tooth and black and green colour face. What type of lion dance is this? Oh the people also carry sabres to play with this lion too. And the drum I think also sounded different.

i am sorry i have no knowledge of it. I learn wing chun in my secondary school days not hong fist (which controls most of the traditional lion/dragon dance troops). Was not too interested in lion/dragon dance, so did not really talk to my shifu about it much. Although most of those older generation they surely know about all these minor details.

Although i am not from the style of hong fist, its just that the feeling of seeing another traditional roots being corrupted and changed made me feel really sad...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It represents the Chinese value of superstition that when there're festive seasons, there must be noise pollution. The lion dancers collect red packets, i.e. salesmen of superstition in the name of tradition. In their spare time, i.e. most of the time, they're gangsters looking for fights.

Lion dance troupes are not gangs. The traditional ones are registered as exercise clubs (tiyushe), not as martial art schools, since the term martial art school (wuguan) would be looked upon suspiciously by the authorities in the 1950s and 60s. Members are disciplined not to look for fights outside. There's a whole artful sequence in a real lion dance, from drumming, teasing and waking the lion to plucking the prize. But I agree, the usual CNY roving troupes are just there to make noise for red packets without any proper sequence since there's limited time. They usually move around HDB flats, hawker stalls, shops and landed estates. They'll also ask for permission at the doorstep first. If you don't like it, you can just tell them no and they'll move on to the next. They can't enter condominiums unless the managements allow.

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..without the dragon and lion dances drummings, cny in Spore will be a boring day. I also noticed as compare to the past the troupes dun play their drums in the lorry anymore, which is a disappointment. No noise, no cny mood.

My ang moh friends loves all these lion dances as do my malay friends...but some of my chinese friends find it noisy and irritating..

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lion dance troupes are not gangs. The traditional ones are registered as exercise clubs (tiyushe), not as martial art schools, since the term martial art school (wuguan) would be looked upon suspiciously by the authorities in the 1950s and 60s. Members are disciplined not to look for fights outside. There's a whole artful sequence in a real lion dance, from drumming, teasing and waking the lion to plucking the prize. But I agree, the usual CNY roving troupes are just there to make noise for red packets without any proper sequence since there's limited time. They usually move around HDB flats, hawker stalls, shops and landed estates. They'll also ask for permission at the doorstep first. If you don't like it, you can just tell them no and they'll move on to the next. They can't enter condominiums unless the managements allow.

YAH! all my shigong generation (in their 60s) have links with the traditional gang and often got into trouble with the police. LOL

Its kind of hard to imagine what was the situation back then as compared to the environment i was in when i was learning it. Everyone around us was relatively well educated, none of us can imagine learning martial arts from Wu guan was one of the way gang used to recruits members

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes..without the dragon and lion dances drummings, cny in Spore will be a boring day. I also noticed as compare to the past the troupes dun play their drums in the lorry anymore, which is a disappointment. No noise, no cny mood.

My ang moh friends loves all these lion dances as do my malay friends...but some of my chinese friends find it noisy and irritating..

It's been a few years since I saw a dragon dance. The last time I saw one was actually in San Francisco, CNY 2008. The troupe was on a procession with two performance stops, Union Square and Chinatown. Most of the passers-by (white/black/brown/yellow) stopped and watched and clapped.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am sorry i have no knowledge of it. I learn wing chun in my secondary school days not hong fist (which controls most of the traditional lion/dragon dance troops). Was not too interested in lion/dragon dance, so did not really talk to my shifu about it much. Although most of those older generation they surely know about all these minor details.

Although i am not from the style of hong fist, its just that the feeling of seeing another traditional roots being corrupted and changed made me feel really sad...

Well it's ok after all chinese love to change their traditional roots while others get to keep them.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

i don't mind they make all the noise they want after 11am. NOT AT 8AM PLS!

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Where Got Tiger ?

thats why i was wondering until now ( thanks to hedgetrader ) why it was called tiger show when theres no tiger at all ...

Oh you were not aware it was Tiger = Thai Girl?:biggrin: Anyway it is a show about pussies and all have hair.:biggrin:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not Applicable Now

640px-Zhaoyunfightsatchangban.jpg

It was an old value and hope. Now, not applicable already. Sports ? Zhang Fei's lion was seen in competion. Unless, one wants his own funeral to be very special with an expensive display like the one you see in CCTV's "For The Sake Of The Republic" drama.

For more info, go to the previous page (page 4) of this thread which I had already explained in detail. I forgot another one of the five tigers (generals, lions) Zhao Yun as the green lion.