• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lets break chinese tradition lion dance ;)

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There are no dragons in this world, and yet dragons are believed to exist from China all the way to Europe.

angmo dragon vs chinese dragon :wink:

thumbnailCA0XA1JY.jpg

thumbnailCA243YF8.jpg

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Dragon Is Just A Totem

I like to watch lion dance. But my favourite not the lion dancers. My favourite the drummers LOL

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where Got Tiger ?

Your spelling got problem. I prefer Thai girl show LOL

Yah, the last time, a friend (army) of mine thought it was a supposed to be a local circus act. Boh lay, no animals prancing around lay. Tiger Show, Tiger Show. Where's the tiger ? Wah lau eh ! Very funny. It was REALLY a revelation to him.

I like reservists' jokes.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Where Got Tiger ?

Yah, the last time, a friend (army) of mine thought it was a supposed to be a local circus act. Boh lay, no animals prancing around lay. Tiger Show, Tiger Show. Where's the tiger ? Wah lau eh ! Very funny. It was REALLY a revelation to him.

I like reservists' jokes.

thats why i was wondering until now ( thanks to hedgetrader ) why it was called tiger show when theres no tiger at all ...

jw5

Loyal
The only problem with tradition is that most people are continuing tradition because of superstition, not because they respect tradition or their roots.
This CNY, when someone gives you an ang pow or madarin oranges, he is more likely than not doing so only to bring himself luck or in his own superstitious mind, so he won't get any bad luck.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you sure french road was named after an englishman?

nearby these road is the infamous Pertain road.....named after a French marshal.....

French is an English surname just happened to be spelt the same as French as for people from France. The history of Singapore has nothing to do with France and yet we have French Road just next to King George's Avenue. It's named after a British with the surname French, not after the people of France.

Many of you Chinese have the surname Tan. Does that mean that all the Tan clan go suntanning? It's just a coincidence of spelling.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now i can confirm u are truly racist. somehow, i don't think u are ram, but u sure is from a certain gang, that is same from the Pee Sai Yuppy 83

If that bugger is really ram then ram is a 2 faced crazy hack.

Blame chinese for everything why not he go live in ang moh land and be a 2nd class ang moh.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that bugger is really ram then ram is a 2 faced crazy hack.

Blame chinese for everything why not he go live in ang moh land and be a 2nd class ang moh.

According to some, I have more faces than the Thai 4-faced Buddha. :rolleyes:

Forvendet is mistaken that Europeans copied the dragon from the Chinese. The Chinese might have invented the dragon first but the ancient Greeks invented the European dragon themselves shortly thereafter without reference to the Chinese, i.e. Europeans could also be as superstitious and imaginative as Chinese. By Roman times, the European dragon spreaded to the Middle East and entered Christianity being mentioned in the Bible as the Devil. Note that in ancient China, the dragon is national and imperial symbol; only the emperor and crown prince wore a dragon robe. Anybody else wearing it or caught tailoring a dragon robe was death penalty, except dragon dance troopes with imperial commission.

There was also no lion in China. Tiger has been symbolic of the most powerful living animal on earth. Look through all the ancient Chinese paintings and nobody could find any of a lion but could fill a whole gallery with tigers. The lion entered Chinese folklore through traveling merchants traveling to and fro India and Middle East who had actually seen lions. Lions impressed them and stirred their imagination over tigers with their majestic manes and roars louder than tigers. The merchants usually sponsored their local martial arts schools (a.k.a. gangs) for power and protected. They came up with the idea of lion dance for festive occasions and ceremonies since there wasn't any need for imperial commission.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to some, I have more faces than the Thai 4-faced Buddha. :rolleyes:

Forvendet is mistaken that Europeans copied the dragon from the Chinese. The Chinese might have invented the dragon first but the ancient Greeks invented the European dragon themselves shortly thereafter without reference to the Chinese, i.e. Europeans could also be as superstitious and imaginative as Chinese. By Roman times, the European dragon spreaded to the Middle East and entered Christianity being mentioned in the Bible as the Devil. Note that in ancient China, the dragon is national and imperial symbol; only the emperor and crown prince wore a dragon robe. Anybody else wearing it or caught tailoring a dragon robe was death penalty, except dragon dance troopes with imperial commission.

There was also no lion in China. Tiger has been symbolic of the most powerful living animal on earth. Look through all the ancient Chinese paintings and nobody could find any of a lion but could fill a whole gallery with tigers. The lion entered Chinese folklore through traveling merchants traveling to and fro India and Middle East who had actually seen lions. Lions impressed them and stirred their imagination over tigers with their majestic manes and roars louder than tigers. The merchants usually sponsored their local martial arts schools (a.k.a. gangs) for power and protected. They came up with the idea of lion dance for festive occasions and ceremonies since there wasn't any need for imperial commission.

ok i'll just assume you're not forvendet, we'll leave it at that.

Back to dragons. In china they obviously didn't call it a dragon but a long cos at that time they didn't know english but who was the first person to say that the western dragon = the chinese long? The chinese dragon is obviously very different from the western one. It has a long snake like body with 4 limbs that aren't really prominent and it has no wings but still can fly.

FYI the chinese dragon is pretty famous in the west due to the anime dragonball, even though it doesn't really make much of an appearance in later series like z.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Without the lion/dragon dance, the CNY mood will be very boring. At least the noises from the drums and cymbals create a CNY atmosphere. What's missing is the fire cracker.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Without the lion/dragon dance, the CNY mood will be very boring. At least the noises from the drums and cymbals create a CNY atmosphere. What's missing is the fire cracker.

do they celebrate cny in pattaya or just in places like yarowat in bkk?

Sinkieland's cny celebration is obviously less lively with no firecrackers and i'm sure some chinese would even love to remove the lion dance from it.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok i'll just assume you're not forvendet, we'll leave it at that.

Back to dragons. In china they obviously didn't call it a dragon but a long cos at that time they didn't know english but who was the first person to say that the western dragon = the chinese long? The chinese dragon is obviously very different from the western one. It has a long snake like body with 4 limbs that aren't really prominent and it has no wings but still can fly.

FYI the chinese dragon is pretty famous in the west due to the anime dragonball, even though it doesn't really make much of an appearance in later series like z.

The traditional Chinese character for dragon is 龍。 It means 立月摆尾。Of course it's supposed to be able to fly without wings.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
do they celebrate cny in pattaya or just in places like yarowat in bkk?

Sinkieland's cny celebration is obviously less lively with no firecrackers and i'm sure some chinese would even love to remove the lion dance from it.
Yes, they do. Most private Chinese Thai biz just close for 1-2 day for praying/offering. Some don't even close. This year, there will be a big celebration for CNY 2012 in Pattaya but that is more commercial/tourist than tradition. Will try to take some pics during the event.

Still need to prepare some Ang Pow. Usually, "Xin Ni Ju Yi" 新年如意 in Teochew language. Usually, I prepare THB 100-200 per Ang Pow for such occasions. The response when giving out Ang Pow is usually "Heng heng" as in Teochew/Hokkien language luck.