• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lets break chinese tradition lion dance ;)

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, they do. Most private Chinese Thai biz just close for 1-2 day for praying/offering. Some don't even close. This year, there will be a big celebration for CNY 2012 in Pattaya but that is more commercial/tourist than tradition. Will try to take some pics during the event.

Still need to prepare some Ang Pow. Usually, "Xin Ni Ju Yi" 新年如意 in Teochew language. Usually, I prepare THB 100-200 per Ang Pow for such occasions. The response when giving out Ang Pow is usually "Heng heng" as in Teochew/Hokkien language luck.

So there are many china ppl visiting pattaya? You give the ang pows to family members or outsiders? You know cny even the bloody trash man will ask for ang pow but my mum automatically gives him ang pow. I know some bosses give ang pows to employees.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There were lions in China once, in fact, in many parts of Asia.

They dissappeared probably because our ancestors believed the lion's dick was good for male virility and placed a price on them.

On the Sg lion - don't know how come. That ancient prince must've been hallucinating and thought the musang shitting in front of him must be some big monster.

Cheers!

>He landed at the mouth of the present-day Singapore River and went inland to hunt wild animals. Suddenly, he saw a strange animal with a orange body, black head and a white breast. It was a fine-looking animal and moved with great speed as it disappeared into the jungle. He asked his chief minister what animal it was, and was told that it probably was a lion. However, recent studies of Singapore indicate that lions have never lived there (not even Asiatic lions), and the beast seen by Sang Nila Utama was likely a tiger, most likely the Malayan Tiger. He was pleased with this as he believed it to be a good omen - a sign of good fortune coming his way. Thus, he decided to build his new city in Temasek. He and his men stayed on the island and founded a city.>

His Chief Minister was either high on ganja, toddy or moonshine, so was Sang Nila Utama. Someone at that time, must have shouted, hiva that man a "Tiger". Ha ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So there are many china ppl visiting pattaya? You give the ang pows to family members or outsiders? You know cny even the bloody trash man will ask for ang pow but my mum automatically gives him ang pow. I know some bosses give ang pows to employees.
Traditionally, HK and TW tourist. Now, PRC overtake both. Also many wealthy PRC runroaders in Pattaya now.

Give to staff and outsiders too. In the past, was THB 20 per Ang Pow but think now I pai seh to give THB 20. Prepare THB 100 ang pows when visiting restaurants or beverage outlets. Need to give to the maid, car attendant and security guard too. For my staff, their ang pow a little special cos' it's their bonus. Will be having CNY dinner this coming saturday.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Traditionally, HK and TW tourist. Now, PRC overtake both. Also many wealthy PRC runroaders in Pattaya now.

Give to staff and outsiders too. In the past, was THB 20 per Ang Pow but think now I pai seh to give THB 20. Prepare THB 100 ang pows when visiting restaurants or beverage outlets. Need to give to the maid, car attendant and security guard too. For my staff, their ang pow a little special cos' it's their bonus. Will be having CNY dinner this coming saturday.

That's nice happy CNY to you.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The only problem with tradition is that most people are continuing tradition because of superstition, not because they respect tradition or their roots.
This CNY, when someone gives you an ang pow or madarin oranges, he is more likely than not doing so only to bring himself luck or in his own superstitious mind, so he won't get any bad luck.

well said ...clap clap .

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only problem with tradition is that most people are continuing tradition because of superstition, not because they respect tradition or their roots.
This CNY, when someone gives you an ang pow or madarin oranges, he is more likely than not doing so only to bring himself luck or in his own superstitious mind, so he won't get any bad luck.

I once attended a night wake on sa charp may. Didn't tell my folks coz sure kena from them. About 25 yrs ago. I am still alive. Nothing to be pang tang.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Jah you know so well. For me in Bangkok I also need to prepare angpow for trash men (5 guys), security guards (11 guys), gardener (husband & wife). As for employees cannot la, I've now got like 220 people pok-gai la, however I will give to just one guy my export manager who works directly with me oh and my maid too. For trash men and guards it'll be 200baht each while my gardener should give 500 baht each. For your info I will have to repeat this again in April for their Sonkrang water festival. For my business there is no need to close as almost all workers and customers are Thais.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

he he he I decorate my house full of red every Chinese New Year because I really like it and feels excited doing it and then after seeing it all I feel happy. I never think red is for auspicious or luck I think of it as simply tradition. I even bang-pow every year I in Thailand scare the hell of the dogs and cats in the neighbourhood.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
he he he I decorate my house full of red every Chinese New Year because I really like it and feels excited doing it and then after seeing it all I feel happy. I never think red is for auspicious or luck I think of it as simply tradition. I even bang-pow every year I in Thailand scare the hell of the dogs and cats in the neighbourhood.

bro..all traditions start with superstition ...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
bro..all traditions start with superstition ...

I have to agree with you, red is to ward of that evil creature, fire crackers scare of evil spirits, giving mandarin oranges is like giving gold, wearing new clothes so for new start good luck etc etc. Aiya but then its fun also la.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have to agree with you, red is to ward of that evil creature, fire crackers scare of evil spirits, giving mandarin oranges is like giving gold, wearing new clothes so for new start good luck etc etc. Aiya but then its fun also la.

yes its fun if we treat it as a opportunities for having fun and nothing else .

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Draco = Devil ?

By Roman times, the European dragon spreaded to the Middle East and entered Christianity being mentioned in the Bible as the Devil.

The lion entered Chinese folklore through traveling merchants traveling to and fro India and Middle East who had actually seen lions. Lions impressed them and stirred their imagination over tigers with their majestic manes and roars louder than tigers. The merchants usually sponsored their local martial arts schools (a.k.a. gangs) for power and protected. They came up with the idea of lion dance for festive occasions and ceremonies since there wasn't any need for imperial commission.

[video=youtube;i3UD740m-t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UD740m-t0&feature=related[/video]

The lions was of an occidental origin. Wild beasts in the Middle East like lions and leopards were depicted in painting (hunting theme). These lions were smaller than their African cousins.

五虎将 the five tigers of Shu Han during The 3 Kingdoms period (late Han dynasty) are still living in another form - lion dance.

Liu Bei = the auspicious lion (yellow)
Guan Yu = the vigilant lion (green)
Zhang Fei = the fighting lion (black)
Ma Chao = the bereaved lion (white)

The Min (Fu Jian) lion has a flat, round and green head to represent Manchurian. A soldier was to act as slaying the lion to remind its viewers of toppling their barbarian master and revert the power back into their hands - 反清复明. In fact, these two lions that you have seen on YouTube have flat, round heads.

青狮 Green Lion = 清师 Manchu Division = 清兵 Manchu Soldier

The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) also known as the Indian lion, Persian lion and Eurasian Lion[2][3][4] is a subspecies of lion. The only place in the wild where the lion is found is in the Gir Forest of Gujarat, India.[5][6] In 2010, the Gujarat government reported that 411 Asiatic lions were sighted in the Gir forest; a rise of 52 over the last census of 2005.[7]
The Asiatic lion is one of the five major big cats found in India, the others being the Bengal tiger, the Indian leopard, the snow leopard and clouded leopard.[8] The Asiatic lions once ranged from the Mediterranean to the north-eastern parts of the Indian subcontinent, but excessive hunting, water pollution and decline in natural prey reduced their habitat.[9] Historically, Asiatic lions were classified into three kinds – Bengal, Arabian and Persian lions.[10] Asiatic lions are smaller and lighter than their African counterparts, but are equally aggressive.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Draco

dracomap.jpg

The constellation Draco is the snake, serpent, or dragon. The dragon is the representation of the Devil or the master of the world. We all live in this world and we are guided by his principles. But, that ownership will change. God and the world are at war with each other.

Draco is also the Big Dipper (Chinese) or Northern Star used by seamen for maritime navigation of old.

Something to ponder with:

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Be with the other constellation - 李南星 :biggrin:

南星 the Southern Star means ...

li_nan_xing.jpg

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Draco = Devil ?

I only know four big cats. Tiger, lion, leopard and jaguar. Which is the fifth one you're referring to?

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Franks

franks.jpg

During Roman Empire times, French were known as Gauls. During British Empire times, French were known as Frogs.

You are half right. Gaul is a name of a place. Sorry, it's Franks as in Frankish knights. Not French.

So, Franks = Beard

So, this means Franks became France ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah you know so well. For me in Bangkok I also need to prepare angpow for trash men (5 guys), security guards (11 guys), gardener (husband & wife). As for employees cannot la, I've now got like 220 people pok-gai la, however I will give to just one guy my export manager who works directly with me oh and my maid too. For trash men and guards it'll be 200baht each while my gardener should give 500 baht each. For your info I will have to repeat this again in April for their Sonkrang water festival. For my business there is no need to close as almost all workers and customers are Thais.

Why u give so much ang pow? You too rich?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Why u give so much ang pow? You too rich?

Not many la in my estate, security+cleaners+rubbish collector = 18 ang pow of 200baht each its only 3600 baht. Gardener 500 baht. Maid 5000 baht. You see in Thailand its not too much for us la. I give partners kids more like 2000 baht each but total only 5 kids so not too bad. Of course there are also my regular special waters and waitresses of the restaurants I visit regularly. In Singapore my many nieces and nephews more jialat total 21 kids.

Its nice la.