• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lets break chinese tradition lion dance ;)

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am quite curious on the different troupes here. Some of the troupes drummings sound very nice but some troupes basically play noises..
I think it got to do with the drums itself and the musical skill of the drummer. The worse ones is really irritating.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am quite curious on the different troupes here. Some of the troupes drummings sound very nice but some troupes basically play noises..
I think it got to do with the drums itself and the musical skill of the drummer. The worse ones is really irritating.

Yup some suck.

Taka holds some annual lion dance competition and you'll see all the good and lousy ones.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lion dance troupes are not gangs. The traditional ones are registered as exercise clubs (tiyushe), not as martial art schools, since the term martial art school (wuguan) would be looked upon suspiciously by the authorities in the 1950s and 60s.

Yet to witness an ang mo phai joining these groups. Ah Bengs and Ah Lians are somehow attracted. Even some Indians are very keen on this activity. Whatever, you will not find someone in the lion dance troupes singing in a church choir on Sundays. Neither can you find the musically talented there. Birds of the feather flock together.

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also think lion dance troupes are gangsters. All look like gangsters. But I like to watch lion dance anyway, from aside. :smile:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also think lion dance troupes are gangsters. All look like gangsters. But I like to watch lion dance anyway, from aside. :smile:

.|..

i hate people like you, judge people just by their mere appearance. Its people like you in the HR department that i hate most. typical brainless za bor that only knows how to talk about makeup and appearance. Ask you to do a simple task, out of 10 times 8 screw up. Spend over half a day deciding simple things like colour of a file.

There are M.D or Ph.D holders among these "gangsters"

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always feel that the cultural scene in Singapore, including pop culture, has turned 1-dimensional. It could be the performers' and organizers' own narrowness in cultural expression and appreciation.

Even for major concerts or celebrations, it is the same category of music, the same type of dance moves, the same atmosphere that repeats itself, item after item. You are either in it or you ain't. This is not good for the cultural vitality of the community. Everything seems to be happening within the box, no external infusion.

Between generations, there is no common area of interest, nothing to bridge the generation gaps. At the same time, generation intervals are getting shorter. The difference between generations could just be a few short years. "I don't listen to his music" just because he could be just 5 years older.

I definitely would wish that lion and dragon dances could continue to thrive, if nothing else, for the older period that they represent. Humans are no different from other animals if there is no linkage with the past.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
His Chief Minister was either high on ganja, toddy or moonshine, so was Sang Nila Utama. Someone at that time, must have shouted, hiva that man a "Tiger". Ha ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

harimaupura... what a mouthful :p:p:p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.|..

i hate people like you, judge people just by their mere appearance. Its people like you in the HR department that i hate most. typical brainless za bor that only knows how to talk about makeup and appearance. Ask you to do a simple task, out of 10 times 8 screw up. Spend over half a day deciding simple things like colour of a file.

Probably cos this irene saw a few "ah beng" looking lion dance ppl with dyed hair and tattoes which still doesn't mean that they are gang members.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This one to the frogs.

"Monkey hanger" is an affectionate term by which Hartlepudlians are often known.[1][2]
According to local folklore, the term originates from an incident in which a monkey was hanged in Hartlepool. During the Napoleonic wars, a French ship of the type chasse marée was wrecked off the coast of Hartlepool. The only survivor was a monkey, wearing a French uniform (allegedly)-(presumably to provide amusement for those on board the ship). On finding the monkey, some locals decided to hold an impromptu trial on the beach; since the monkey was unable to answer their questions, and many locals were unaware of what a Frenchman may look like, they concluded that the monkey was in fact a French spy. Just to make sure, the animal was thus sentenced to death and hanged from the mast of a fishing boat on the Headland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

The problem with lion dance isn't just noise pollution. It's also superstition. All lion dance troupes pray and burn joss and incense as part of the ritual. That's why you see mostly ah bengs looking like gangsters. Who says a MD or PhD, even just BA or MSc, can't be a gangster and superstitious? You daddy Ramseth is one good example who can be police and gangster at the same time, Christian and Buddhist at the same time. Like father like son. MTC degree. Master of talking cock.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with lion dance isn't just noise pollution. It's also superstition. All lion dance troupes pray and burn joss and incense as part of the ritual. That's why you see mostly ah bengs looking like gangsters. Who says a MD or PhD, even just BA or MSc, can't be a gangster and superstitious? You daddy Ramseth is one good example who can be police and gangster at the same time, Christian and Buddhist at the same time. Like father like son. MTC degree. Master of talking cock.

You imbecile.

Lion dances are a cultural expression that is spectacular and boisterous. Football matches and rock concerts are very noisy too. Are you going to criticize them for the noise they produce? There are lion dance clubs in polytechnics and universities and I am sure they do not enforce the tradition of burning joss sticks. To the Chinese, burning joss sticks can regarded as a form of respect. It does not necessarily mean that the act is by itself superstitious. It is just something carried over from the past when traditions were a big thing.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
.|..

Most of these brainless za bors are not even chio. They only got their jobs because they wear a skirt and can therefore be expected to put down their pride and serve refreshments to managers and visiting clients. Most HR people are just glorified administrative clerks.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You imbecile.

Lion dances are a cultural expression that is spectacular and boisterous. Football matches and rock concerts are very noisy too. Are you going to criticize them for the noise they produce? There are lion dance clubs in polytechnics and universities and I am sure they do not enforce the tradition of burning joss sticks. To the Chinese, burning joss sticks can regarded as a form of respect. It does not necessarily mean that the act is by itself superstitious. It is just something carried over from the past when traditions were a big thing.

You imbecile. Football matches and rock concerts are held in stadia, not roaming around the streets. Respect can be shown simply by bowing in a moment of silence.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of these brainless za bors are not even chio. They only got their jobs because they wear a skirt and can therefore be expected to put down their pride and serve refreshments to managers and visiting clients. Most HR people are just glorified administrative clerks.

tio tio tio CORRECT!

the most bua ta han part they think they fucking chio and everyone is looking at them. KA PUI!