• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Complaining kills, but discussion heals​

http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/askshaunti/files/2015/06/iStock_000009113798_Large.jpg
Dear Shaunti,
I know you’re a researcher, but I think most marriage researchers are off the mark. See, I’m a direct person; that’s just how I roll. And think in marriage it’s important to get things off our chest and let the other person know when they are doing something that bugs us. So I was delighted when I heard about this mathematician, Dr. Hannah Fry, who says complaining leads to strong relationships. I have always told my husband when I’m mad that he paid the mortgage late or wouldn’t say “no” to his mother. But it doesn’t work: he never changes. We’re going downhill, even though I’m doing what the “experts” suggest. I think most research findings are just a bunch of hype. And I’m afraid my husband and I are going to end up in divorce court.

— Honest and Upset

Dear Honest and Upset,
You value honesty, so I’ll be honest with you. You seem to be basing your ideas of what makes a good marriage off of a sensational headline rather than the research behind it. And you’re using that headline to justify how you want to operate even though it’s not working. Did you even listen to Dr. Fry’s talk?
Wow, that made me feel better, to get that off my chest. Don’t you feel better now, too?
Wait, you don’t? You felt I was rude and offensive instead?
Fancy that.

You see, the study that you mention reached some of the same conclusions as my own research (yes, I know you’re not big on research right now, but humor me): it is important to discuss the things that upset you and need attention, rather than stuffing them and thinking that you’re not allowed to say anything. But there’s a world of difference between that and “complaining”— which can easily degenerate into criticism and contempt.

Those are the factors that will trash any relationship.
It’s all about the approach you take. If you want a happy relationship, try what the happiest couples actually do – and don’t do. In our research for The Surprising Secrets of Highly Happy Marriages, we found that 71 percent of the happiest spouses said their mates put effort into being considerate. When one spouse needed to raise something difficult, he or she was thinking specifically about how not to hurt the other. These couples respected the power of words to destroy or build up.

In struggling relationships, on the other hand, the couples either didn’t realize or didn’t care that their “honest” words had the potential to hurt the other. So neither spouse felt their mate was a supportive, safe haven in a stressful, harsh world.

I’m a pretty direct person too. So in my own life, I’ve realized that when I need to address something with my husband I need ask myself, Would I say this in the same way to a close friend? Or even to a casual acquaintance? If I can’t answer “yes,” then why would I ever say that to the person I love most in the world?
Perhaps you could ask yourself that as well. We can’t “stuff” irritations that are going to blow up on us later. But the delivery is just as important as the content if you want to be heard – and heeded.

So don’t keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Try a different tone. Like, “Honey, you know I love your mom and I know she appreciates all your help. But the last few weeks, you’ve done a bunch of projects for her even though you know I’ve been waiting on mine. I know you don’t want to make me feel that you are putting her before me. How can we do this better?”

When you make it clear that you’re not picking a fight, not trying to condemn, and showing that you believe he does care about you (even though it doesn’t feel like it right now), it will help him really hear what you’re saying. It may take a while to change habits (both his and yours!), but it opens up the floor for an important discussion and (hopefully) a solution.

One interesting point that your mathematician researcher brought up is that, “An arguing couple spiraling into negativity and teetering on the brink of divorce is actually mathematically equivalent to two countries at the beginning of a nuclear war.”

I would never want to live on a battleground, and I certainly don’t want that for you or your husband. You can’t and shouldn’t ignore real issues. But by focusing on what should be said and when to say it, and then being kind in what you say and how you deliver it, it really should lead to both an honest and an enjoyable marriage.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 Questions to Ask Yourself After a Bad Break-Up So it Doesn’t Happen Again​

First, I want you to know that you are not alone. Many people have suffered from bad break-ups – sometimes several bad break-ups; some have endured more than they would like to admit. After going through such pain, you have to ask yourself: Why? Why are you going through continuously toxic relationships and entering into them with wrong people? What are you learning from each of these experiences? The most important part of these situations is that you are gaining knowledge of yourself and that you are healing from each person that has hurt you before you pursue another relationship.

Healing takes time and going into something or involving yourself with someone new while broken or fragmented will only yield the same results. What are you doing to change your situation? What is God teaching you? I am a firm believer that God teaches us something from every situation we encounter and that there is a lesson in each experience.

Ask yourself:
Is the situation good or bad?
Is it a result of me following God’s will or my own will?
Or is it just a circumstance of life?
Why? The reason is that God is a teacher and He loves to teach us through experiences that will help us become better people; that will help us grow into His vision of us.

After a bad break-up, it is very important to reflect on what caused the relationship to be unhealthy. In most cases, relationships that end badly also started the same way. Evaluating your association will help you have a better understanding of why you participated in the relationship, in which areas you need to improve yourself, and what mistakes to avoid repeating in the future.
If you are like me, you don’t want to continuously experience the same awful cycles that often are the root cause of toxic relationships. Participating in back to back relationships and seeing the same results each time shows you that you are in a cycle!

In order to break free from the train ride of doom and set new standards for yourself, you need to ask yourself these 5 questions:
1. What red flags did I decide to look past?
You should never go into any relationship with your feelings or emotions leading the way. By letting yourself be led by emotions, you become a target for deception. Being controlled by your feelings is equivalent to walking into a relationship blind. There are always red flags as to why someone isn’t good for you, and if you are not sober enough to recognize those flags, you will end up in a relationship that is based off your need for comfort and company.

2. What part of me is broken that caused me to entertain wrongful company?
I’m going to piggyback off of the previous point. More often than not, people who are broken are willing to forsake the truth for comfort and company; they want to combat their loneliness. This reality can stem from a number of factors such as: lack of identity, insecurity, and unhealed wounds from past relationships. It is important to discover which areas of your soul still craves disastrous attention in order to uncover why you choose the mates that you do.

3. Am I insecure?
The role of insecurity is to make you think you deserve less than what God wants for you; what He wills you to be. Insecurities block you from knowing and recognizing your worth. A person that is insecure will pursue and accept the wrong relationships. A secure person, in contrast, will understand that they are worth the wait, the pursuit, and will always uphold standards that they have set for themselves.

4. Am I aware of my purpose?
If you are not aware of your purpose and your calling, you will more than likely date whoever seems most attractive. Those who understand their purpose will only entertain relationships that will comply with their calling on this earth. For example, if you desire to travel to many destinations over the course of your life, it wouldn’t be wise to begin a relationship with someone that does not like to fly in airplanes. Continuing to date someone that doesn’t match your future goals and God’s will is simply a waste of your time and theirs.

5. Who am I?
This is a question that most people are not able to answer truthfully. I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing who you are before pursuing a relationship. Not knowing your identity will only hinder your association and cause more harm than good. If you are struggling to answer this question with detail and substance, you should honestly wait to pursue anyone other than God. The pursuit of God will uncover the answer to the most crucial question there is: Who Am I?

Now I admonish you to see the bright side of your break-up and make it work in your favor. Stop putting yourself through an endless cycle! It’s time to get off the roller coaster and focus on you. Answer the 5 questions listed and do the work needed to become your best self before deciding to share your heart with another again.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taking Baby Steps in Recovering from Traumatic Injuries​

Some wise sage told us recently we should think “baby steps” in terms of approaching my son Christopher’s hoped-for recovery from his traumatic brain injury. Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries defines “baby step” as “a small act or measure, usually at the start of a long or difficult process.” This definition does not go far enough, since the wording is in the singular. We are not looking at one small step, but a seemingly infinite number of such small, though exceptionally important movements in a certain direction. What we are pursuing is “continuous improvement,” as one book on taking baby steps puts it (See One Small Step Can Change Your Life: the Kaizen Way, by Dr. Robert Mauer).

Another book (though fictional) is Baby Steps by Dr. Leo Marvin, as chronicled in the comedy What About Bob? (Check out this YouTube clip on “baby steps” in the movie). All I can say about this movie and this discussion of “baby steps” is that sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying all the time. Laughter is good medicine for the weary soul. Although you can’t read this fictional book by Marvin (played by Richard Dreyfuss), you can watch the movie starring him and Bob (played by Bill Murray). I plan on watching it again sometime soon simply to recharge my emotional battery for the next baby step in caring for my son.

Christopher and his wife Keyonna were so patient in helping their precious daughter Jaylah learn how to walk. Here’s a precious picture Keyonna took of Christopher leading Jaylah by the hand. I hope and pray for the opportunity to help Christopher in taking baby steps literally or figuratively once again. Mariko and I taught him how to walk, how to ride his bike, and do all kinds of other things parents help their kids do. The time may come when we will be helping him with memory development, language acquisition, and more.

We accept this challenge as an honor and a privilege. Right now, we are praying for the healing necessary to get him to that or some other point along the path of taking baby steps in life. In the meantime, we pray for the traumatic brain injury “posturing” and possibly related fevers to cease entirely, for his eyes to respond to light, for him to open his eyes and look around in a state of conscious awareness, and for him to respond to prompts like the request to squeeze our fingers with his hands. Please join us in prayer for him to take these gigantic baby steps.

It involves heroic effort to take baby steps. A CNA who has attended to Christopher from his early days in the hospital until now has painstakingly and patiently cared for Christopher. He has told us a few times recently how much better Christopher is doing and looking. He observes Christopher more than many nurses and doctors do because of the nature of his work on the floor. He told me that he and his colleagues would rejoice greatly, if someday after Christopher departs for the next stage of the journey, he were to return to the hospital, walk down the hall, and visit with them. Until that desired day, we will keep taking baby steps in support of Christopher, one foot after another.

God taught Israel how to walk, how to put one foot in front of the other, as they came out of four hundred years of trauma involving slavery in Egypt. God taught them how to walk while they went wandering through the wilderness on their way to the Promised Land. Like Israel, God has been teaching me to walk in new ways, as we move through our trauma in the wilderness of our son’s critical health condition in search of the Promised Land. Also like Israel, I often fail to account for God teaching me how to walk early on in my faith journey:

It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize
it was I who healed them. (Hosea 11:3; NIV)

No doubt, as we seek to help and assist our son in whatever way possible, God will be looking to teach me how to walk in dependence and trust on God in new ways. God will be looking to heal me in my own faith journey, as we pray for our son’s healing. May I realize it is God who is guiding me in the process, leading me by the hand, patiently helping me take giant-sized baby steps along the way.

No matter where you are in life, may we all proceed in pursuit of “continuous improvement” throughout the journey over the mountains and through the valleys and deserts of life. Let’s keep taking those giant-sized baby steps.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Embrace the Fear​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

. . . for man shall not see me and live—Exodus 33:20

We’re made for fear. We’re made to live with fear, not without it, as we’d like. It’s just, as so often happens, we get preoccupied with things we can see and hear and touch. But these aren’t what we’re supposed to fear—not people, nor circumstances. About such things, our King, Jesus Christ says, “do not fear” (Luke 12:4-5, 22-24). No, we’re meant to fear a fearsome God.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7).

But what does it mean to fear God? Well, mostly it means keeping our thinking straight. It means seeing God, in all his power, in proper relation and proportion to the people and problems in this world. Though we sometimes act as if he were, God isn’t smaller than financial hardship, difficult work situations, difficulties with children. He’s not equal to them. He’s so much bigger, so much more powerful, even comparing doesn’t make sense. He’s alpha and omega. He’s the beginning and the end of everything.

What’s astonishing is this fearsome God, for some reason, chooses to love each of us with a fierce love—a love that’s good and will never relent. So, to him, we mustn’t respond as we’ve been conditioned to respond to fear—control, minimize, avoid, numb. We must respond by recognizing, every day, every moment, that he’s the most important, most powerful force in our lives, and that we’re his favored sons.

Okay, so what do we do?​

Name your biggest fears. Write them down. Look at them. Imagine them as God sees them. How frightening are they now? The truth is, things we can see, hear, touch are never our ultimate threats, not when God’s around—and he always is. Our ultimate threat is choosing to live as if these things are bigger than he.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Enduring Word’s For Unbearable Times​

A lot of people are living through hard times right now…maybe even you, so to help you (or them) get through this crisis, lay hold of these enduring Bible verses.

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

I’m not sure I could finish what God has started in me because I keep falling, however, this promise of God (Phil 1:6) tells me that it is God Who began the good work in me…and it is God Who “will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” What God begins, God completes. He sought me, He bought me, and then He taught me. I’d hate to think that God started it in me, only to have me finish it, however, it’s somewhat like I did years ago when I walked my son across the street to school. I never told him, “I’ll take your hand but you have to hold on as best as you can,” but rather it was, “I’ve got a firm grip on your hand and I’ll make sure you make it to the other side.” God began it…God will finish it.

Second Timothy 1:12 But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.

Many who profess Christ may be ashamed to do it in public, but not the Apostle Paul or most of the early believers, but in this last letter of Paul’s, we see that He still has the same confidence that he had years before (Phil 1:6). He still knows the enduring Word and that all the precious promises of God will never fail. Knowing whom He has believed in (Jesus Christ), He is utterly convinced that God “is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.” There are no surprise endings to God. God is sovereign over all and where man rules…God overrules.

1 Peter 1:6-7 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

What was it that the Apostle Peter said that they were rejoicing over? It was that God “has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead” (1 Pet 1:3), and it is “to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you” (1 Pet 1:4). If it’s kept in heaven for you, it’s not possible it can be lost. Remember, it’s “imperishable, undefiled, and unfading,” and it’s being held “in heaven for you who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time” (1 Pet 1:4c-5). If we understand that we are being kept by God in heaven, and guarded by God’s power, we can better endure the present times. A faith that’s not tested cannot be trusted, and trials test our faith. James wrote, “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him” (James 1:12).

Psalm 34:17 When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.

When there is nothing more you can do, all you can do is cry out to God, and maybe that’s what God was waiting for in the first place. That takes humility and an admission that we cannot solve this on our own (whatever “this” is). Those who are righteous are made righteous only through Christ Who became sin for us so that we might receive the necessary righteous to be saved (2 Cor 5:21), and the right to “cry for help,” but the righteous also know that “the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.”

I can’t count the number of times when I or someone else I know had their backs against the wall, but in time, looking back, we see that God was faithful and delivered us out of it all. It wasn’t always immediate, and sometimes it was painful, but all of that’s turned out for the good. I know this was for the glory of God because when deliverance came, God received the glory by our praising Him with our lips! We glorify Jesus’ Name when our prayers are answered. His Name is glorified because that is the Name by which we pray, so again, God says, “call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me” (Psalm 50:15). Call upon God. He delivers you. You glorify Him. This is how we can “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness” (James 1:2-3).

Conclusion

It’s easy so just give up, but God never gives up on us so we must remain faithful, even in hard times, so I hope these Bible verses have helped solidify your faith, and if so, why not share these with someone else who might need a spiritual boost from the Word of God. We should thank God that “He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins” (Col 1:13-14). Notice that the deliverance from the dark domain is past tense (“He has”), but also praise Him that “He will guard the feet of his faithful ones” (1 Sam 2:9a). We can rest in the knowledge “that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations” (Deut 7:9). As we live our life through various struggles, we must take the eternal perspective “that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us” (Rom 8:28). Are you in trouble? God says, “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me” (Psalm 50:15), because you know that God “will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Cor 1:8). He’s got your hand…not the other way around (John 10:28-29).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Gospel in Genesis 6:1-8​

Every year, Christians embarking on a “Bible-in-a-year” reading program stumble upon and are confounded by Genesis 6:1-8 within the first few days of their plan. And with good reason, this passage is one of the most debated texts in Scripture. It contains the enigmatic story of the marriage between the “sons of God” and the “daughters of men” and one of only two references to the mysterious “Nephilim.” Questions abound: Who are these sons of God? What did they do wrong? Who were the Nephilim? Why is this strange passage in the Bible?

Some have dismissed this text as merely a mythological story not meant to be taken literally. However, as I have argued, Genesis is history and such a view fails to take that into account. In this article I want to do two things: 1) Help you navigate the various interpretations of this hard text; and 2) Show you how even such strange and obscure passages proclaim the gospel.

Toward the first end, we will examine the main interpretations of this passage and then offer what we think is the best understanding. For a more thorough examination of this passage, I encourage you to read what I’ve written here. There are three main interpretations of this complex passage. The Angelic View, the Sethite View, and the Tyrant View.

The Angelic View
The first and oldest view is that the “sons of God” are angels who left heaven to marry human women. In this case, the sin of the sons of God is leaving their proper place and engaging in sexual relations which cross the boundary between divine and human and the Nephilim are the offspring of this supernatural-natural union. This is the oldest interpretation and can be found in early extra-biblical Jewish literature (1 Enoch 6 and Jubilees 4-5). The two main arguments for this view are that the phrase “sons of God” always refers to angels in the Old Testament and that the 2 Peter and Jude interpret the passage this way.

However, this view has some serious problems. First, the phrase sons of God is only used two times in the OT outside of Genesis 6, both in Job (1:6, 2:1). That means that it is very difficult to assign it a specific meaning in Genesis 6 based off only two other occurrences not even in the near context.

Second, the New Testament evidence is not nearly as conclusive as the angelic proponents claim. Second Peter leaves the sin of the angels unspecified and is debatable whether the sin in Jude is of a sexual nature.[1] In fact, the NT moves in the other direction by indicating that angels do not marry (Matt. 22:30).
Third, there is no reason in the text to understand the Nephilim as the offspring of the union, in fact it, the phrase “and also afterwards” as well as the mention of the Nephilim in Numbers 13:33 indicates that they were not unique offspring of a angelic-human union.

Fourth, Genesis 6:1-8 is the prologue to the Flood narrative, the paradigmatic act of judgment in the Old Testament. However, the Flood is a judgment against mankind, not angels! Yahweh decided that His spirit will not remain in man forever (6:3), He saw that the wickedness of man was great (6:5), He regretted that He had made man (6:6), and said that He will blot out man from the face of the earth (6:7). It is inconsistent with God’s justice to argue that God judged humanity for the sin of angelic beings, and any attempt to make the “daughters of men” active in the sin reads into the text what is not there. Much more could be said, but these problems are serious enough to render this view improbable.

The Sethite View
This view takes the “sons of God” to be from the line of Seth and the “daughters of men” to be from the line of Cain. The sin in this case is intermarriage between the godly and wicked lines and the Nephilim are not the fruit of the union. This view has ample support in church history, including such weighty figures as John Calvin and Martin Luther.

This view has three main arguments to support it. First, the immediate context of Genesis 4-5 with the contrasting genealogies of Cain and Seth (each containing a Lamech and an Enoch), sets the reader up to expect a contrast in 6:1-8. Second, marriage within a particular family is a theme of Genesis (24:4, 27:46-28:9). Third, The Pentateuch elsewhere uses the language of sonship to refer to God’s covenant people (Ex. 4:22-23).

This view has one major problem with it: it requires that a shift from the generic use of “man” in verse 1 to a specific use of “man” in verse 2. Verses 1-2 say, “When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose.” Clearly in the first verse, “man” refers generically to all mankind, not just the line of Cain, and the “daughters” refers to all of their daughters. There is nothing in the text that suggests a shift in the meaning of “man” between verse one and two such that it refers to mankind generically in verse one but only to the line of Cain in verse two.

The Tyrant View
This last view argues that the “sons of God” are despotic tyrants and the “daughters of men” are regular human women. In this view, the sin described is that of forceful polygamy, the tyrants took whichever women pleased them. This view has three main arguments in support of it. First, in ancient near eastern culture, kings and rulers are often referred to as “a son of the God.” Second, the Bible itself designates judges and kings as God’s son (2 Sam. 7:14, Ps. 82:6). Third, Genesis 4 shows the origins of a despotic line in Cain, who founded a city and named it after his son, and Lamech, who engaged in violence and polygamy.

However, like the other views, this view has some problems. First, while individual kings are styled as a “son of God,” there is no ANE or OT background for groups of kings being styled as such, and when the language is used of an individual king it is almost never found in straightforward historical narrative.
Second, there is no evidence elsewhere in the context of Genesis for the descendants of Cain being labeled “sons of God,” and it would be an odd way of referring to a wicked lineage.
Third, as we mentioned earlier, the Nephilim are most likely not the offspring of the marriage described in verse 2.

Is There an Answer?
In light of the complexity of this debate, I tentatively suggest a combination of the second and third views which I believe acknowledges the strengths of both while avoiding their particular weaknesses. I believe the Sethite View is correct that the “sons of God” are men from the line of Seth. Both other views rely on strained connections with distant passages to substantiate their interpretation and do not do full justice to the immediate context of Genesis 4-5 which clearly involves a contrast between wicked and godly lineages.

However, I believe the Tyrant View is correct that the sin described is not intermarriage between two lines, but forceful polygamy. The similarities between Genesis 6:1-4 and the account of Lamech in Genesis 4 show how the godly line of Seth became corrupt just like the line of Cain, resulting in only Noah and his family finding favor in God’s eyes out of all mankind. Furthermore, order of the words “saw…good…took” in verse 2 is a clear allusion back to Eve’s sin in Genesis 3:6. The sin described is that these men took whichever women they desired as their wives and disregarded the creation pattern of monogamy (Gen. 2:24).

So then, the “sons of God” in Genesis 6 are men from the line of Seth who became like Lamech in violent polygamy and took whatever women they desired from all the daughters of mankind. This resulted in God’s judgment of limiting the human lifespan to 120 years and destroying all life on the face of the earth in the deluge.

Where’s the Gospel?
Much more could be said about this passage, but I want to point out of even such a strange and obscure passage shows quite clearly the gospel. The three main themes of this passage are mankind’s sinfulness, God’s righteous judgment, and God’s grace. Here we see a picture of the utter sinfulness and depravity of mankind, “the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (6:5).

In response to mankind’s sinfulness, God announces His judgment. He will not tolerate sin and declares that He will blot out every living creature from the face of the earth. His judgment is so complete as to return the earth to its state of being “formless and void” with the waters covering the face of the deep. God’s righteousness is displayed in His terrible wrath against sin.

But sin will not be triumphant. The passage ends with a hint of grace in verse 8, “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.” Here is the first use of the word “grace” in the Bible (though the concept is present earlier). Just at the point when sin seems to reign triumphant, God’s good creation is ruined, and His image will be wiped off the face of the earth – at just that point we read of Noah – as a son, in the image of God (Gen. 5:3), whose name means rest, who will bring relief from the curse (Gen. 5:29), and (most importantly) who has found favor in the eyes of Yahweh.

The main point of Genesis 6:1-8 ties these three themes together: Mankind is totally depraved and deserving of God’s wrath which He will pour out on all creation except those who find refuge in His grace though a chosen representative. What a clear statement of the gospel!

I hope this is encouraging to you, that these texts are not impossible to understand and that even texts which are debated among Christians still proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, who is the better Noah, who will grant ultimate rest, reverse the curse, and save from the coming wrath those who take refuge in Him.
[1] For a full treatment of 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6, see Keil, C. F. Commentary on the OT: Pentateuch. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2001, p. 83-85n1.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

A Majestic River Runs Through Our Prayers​

A mighty mountain stream making its way to the river in the valley below

This weekend I recalled a homeless person saying his greatest fear was dying alone. Would there be anyone there when he departs? Would anyone remember him after he is gone? You don’t have to be homeless in a physical sense to fear isolation. The dread of isolation is no respecter of persons. If you’re a praying person, you may cry out to God to take away your anonymity and loneliness, even the fear of praying alone. But you are never alone in prayer. Just this week, Pope Francis spoke on this subject. In a meditation on “the connection between prayer and the communion of saints,” Francis said, “when we pray, we never do so alone: even if we do not think about it, we are immersed in a majestic river of invocations that precedes us and proceeds after us. A majestic river.” (For the Pope’s full address, refer here.)

I am not praying alone when I am interceding for my son at his bedside in the hospital. And regardless of Christopher’s level of cognizance in his comatose state, the majestic river of prayer involving countless others flows through his room and carries him and me along. I feel the prayers and meditations of multitudes so many times, like my cherished friend Ross who prayed at Christopher’s bedside last night. I cannot explain it, or put it into words. How in the world are my family and I holding it all together? The crisis situation is relentless. But so, too, are the prayers, caring thoughts, and contemplations of so many people. I love how my esteemed friend and religion journalist of many years Nancy Haught puts it in her blog post on Pope Francis’ meditation:
As the pandemic grinds on and ordinary human life proves relentless, my personal prayer list may be the longest I’ve ever wrestled with. I know and love so many people who are grieving right now. Each person exists in a separate world of loss, fear and very fragile hope. It is hard to know what to pray for. I know miracles sometimes happen. I know they don’t always. And I know that what looks like a miracle may actually turn out to be another, often higher hurdle, one that causes us to stumble again. I often pray my own litany, reciting and reflecting on each person by name. I ask God to be with each of them and with those who love them, using their names if I know them, too. But I must be honest, sometimes even that simple prayer is hard to put into words.

Yes, the challenges of life are relentless. And so, it is reassuring to know that the prayers of the saints like Nancy are relentless, too. Yes, it is not always easy to articulate our prayers. And so, it is encouraging to know that we do not pray alone. God’s Spirit intercedes for us in prayer! As the Apostle Paul writes, “…the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.” (Romans 8:26-27; NIV)

My own prayers join the chorus, not simply for my son and the family, but also for those whose struggles I know—people in our increasing circle of care who await news of whether their loved ones have cancer or how advanced the cancer or some other critical condition is, and for those who have lost loved ones or who feel so alone. I am praying for my son’s care givers at the hospital and for you who demonstrate such care in reading my words. I pray for the homeless and for others who feel so shut-in and isolated. You are not alone.

The Greek philosopher from Ephesus named Heraclitus remarked that we never step into the same river twice. We can debate the meaning of this image in his thought, namely, whether he thought concerning things that we could never “encounter them twice,” or that “some things stay the same only by changing.” (For the philosophically inclined, refer here for the discussion) Regardless of that debate, the river of life never ceases, nor does the majestic river of prayer. The prayers of the saints continue to flow with dynamic force, as the prayers of intercession and thanksgiving grow.

Pope Francis spoke of such prayers as expansive and interconnected:
Those prayers that are good are “expansive”, like anything that is good; they propagate themselves continuously, with or without being posted on social networks: from hospital wards, from moments of festive gatherings to those in which we suffer silently… One person’s pain is everyone’s pain, and one person’s happiness is transmitted to someone else’s soul. Pain and happiness, all a story, stories that create the story of one’s own life, this story is relived through one’s own words, but the experience is the same.

My friends and pastoral leaders Noelani and Ed pressing into prayer for divine “assistance” and mercy below my son’s window outside the hospital.
Prayers for healing and comfort are creative, expansive, and interconnected, leading to greater functionality and wholeness. The process and results of prayer are like “brain functions…made possible by circuits of spiking neurons, connected together by microscopic, but highly complex links called synapses.”

In view of what I have learned about prayer and the human brain, I pray that my son Christopher’s traumatized and severely damaged brain can regrow new connections between cells: “When adult brain cells are injured, they revert to an embryonic state,… In their newly adopted immature state, the cells become capable of re-growing new connections that, under the right conditions, can help to restore lost function.” Please join me in praying for new connections, right conditions, and restoration of lost function for my son’s brain.

Also, please join me in praying for our damaged relationships and the feverish factions in the surrounding society here and across the globe. Prayer is the first step in making healing connections, as Pope Francis shares:
To pray for others is the first way to love them and it moves us toward concretely drawing near. Even in conflictual moments, a way of dissolving the conflict, of softening it, is to pray for the person with whom I am in conflict. And something changes with prayer. The first thing that changes is my heart and my attitude. The Lord changes it so it might be turned into an encounter, a new encounter so that that the conflict does not become a never-ending war.

Paul never met the Ephesian philosopher Heraclitus, when the Apostle visited Ephesus. Heraclitus lived several centuries before him. But we meet the Apostle in prayer every time we utter these words of intercession, which feature the force of God’s abundant, relentless, and ever-flowing love. Let’s join Paul in prayer, as recorded in his epistle to the Ephesians:

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:14-21; NIV)
God’s abiding love for us, like this love-inspired prayer than runs through the ages, is a mighty and majestic river. We are not alone.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Life! Life! Eternal Life!​

The sun has risen in the East. The faithful at last celebrate Pacha.
Christ is Risen!
Truly He is Risen!
When I was a boy, we lived just above a funeral home. Dad is a pastor and occasionally folk would need someone to officiate. Dad was “on call” for funerals. Since (as far as I know) Dad has never lied, this presented him a challenge. How do you preach appropriately when you do not know the man or much about his character?

Worse still, what if you suspect he was a bit of a rounder?
If you were Dad, you were smart enough to stop, listen, and try to hear what God was saying. The one word that I recall that cropped up most often was hope. God is love and does not desire death to have the last word for anyone. With a good Father, there is always a chance until the final “no” is said to paradise. Love demands that we have hope, even for our enemies.

Occasionally, Dad said there would be people who would be sent to the funeral home who were only nearly dead. Evidently, when preparing the body, a man might find his glasses steaming up, wipe them, have them steam again, only to realize respiration was happening. The body was only almost a cadaver or maybe other gas was exiting a truly, real cadaver. This was exciting, but disappointing since even when rushed to the hospital nobody made it.

If you are a pastor’s kid up the hill from a funeral home, you went to a good many funerals. Death comes to lots of different people and who comes out in the end told a lot about the life just ended. I have been to wakes where so many people came the air conditioning could not keep up, funerals where the departed had outlived many of his friends, and funerals where people made a scene. Growing up, folks were expected to mourn and some people were good at loud grief, if bad at being convincing.

I did not like funerals so stopped going when I could, yet one good residue is stuck in my soul. Funerals remind me of life, strong, eternal, death defying life. See enough sincere old saints of God weeping to be separated from a family member or friend resting in a coffin in front of them and hear the certainty of life to come amidst the tears was good for me. They were not hoping. They had grown old enough themselves that this life was fragile. Some had died or come close to death and had seen things that gave them a blessed assurance.

They mourned, but not without hope and full of faith, substantial, evidence based belief, that death was not the final word.
“Life! Life! Eternal Life!” says Pilgrim as he flees destruction in Pilgrim’s Progress.
Life! Life! Eternal Life!

This is what Dad preached and what I saw in many, if not all, funerals. Death was like a commencement: a bittersweet graduation from one good place to a better one. What Dad preached, the old men knew.
Nobody got revived once they made it to the funeral home down the hill.
Yet.
Easter was, is, and is coming.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Getting Out of ANY Personal Rut​

Getting Out of ANY Personal Rut - Shaunti Feldhahn

By now, you may have seen this very short and funny video. A video that could be used to illustrate a dozen different sermons, corporate keynotes or school lessons. A video that had me laughing so hard, I just had to hit play about 5 times. Take a look:

Does that hit home with you, too? I see that sheep struggle free, bound away, soar eagerly into the air –and straight back to where it was before. There is a wincing realization that this is so often me. (And that the Bible’s description of us as “sheep” is not a compliment!)
For example, how often do I fall into the same old personal ruts of snapping at my kids, being rude on the highway, or making my wonderful husband feel like I don’t appreciate all he does for us? (And how often do I feel like just a teensy hypocrite after writing books on parenting, kindness and the appreciation men need from their wives?! Oy!)
Thankfully, there is also a great encouragement here for those of us who want to actually change our ways.

To get out of any rut, you have to realize why you got into it in the first place

Think of yourself as the sheep and the rut as a neural pathway in your brain.

Doing something repeatedly forms those neural pathways. The more you do that thing (allow yourself to fume at the drivers on the highway or snap at the kids when provoked), the stronger and “deeper” that pathway becomes. Those brain patterns lead to patterns of thought and/or action – in other words, to habits. Habits that become almost automatic.

In other words: You squirm free of the rut, bound away – and fall right back into it.

But thankfully that isn’t the end of the story.

A neural pathway can lead to positive habits instead!

Here’s the key point: those patterns of thought can be good ones, not just bad ones!

The word “rut” by definition implies a negative trend. But what if you could make it a positive trend instead? Our tendencies may lean toward creating a negative rut a bit more naturally. But with a little attention we can just as easily create a deep gully that leads in life-giving, healthy directions.

For example, suppose one of your “ruts” is that you tend to complain about people who annoy you, and you know you should stop. You sincerely want to stop. So you take the hard step of squirming free of that rut (“I’m so sorry I posted that comment about you, please forgive me.”), bound away (“I’m never doing that again!”) … and fall right back into it the next time you’re provoked.

What do you do?

Practice, practice, practice the thoughts or actions that you want to make “your” gully

As the sheep discovered, simply trying to avoid a rut that is sitting there waiting to trap you doesn’t work very well. Because, given the way neural pathways work, you are going to find your way into and travel along a gully of some sort! The question is which one.

You need to fill in the bad gully – and dig out and travel in the positive one!

Taking the example of “I want to stop complaining about people so much,” what if you create a personal affirmation rule? You say that for one month, if you ever want to say something negative about someone, that you say something positive and affirming instead? Well, pretty soon, you’ll see those negative thoughts actually not arising as often to begin with, and the positive ones appearing in their place. You are creating a deeper and deeper positive gully in your thoughts.

And if you keep going, those positive, kind, uplifting thoughts and words about people will be your norm! The negative ones will feel unsettled and uncomfortable. So if you ever find yourself having a bad day or grumpy thoughts about someone, those are now outside your normal pathways. As a result, you will likely find yourself gratefully landing on thoughts that are positive, peaceful, and uplifting instead.

Whatever you practice will become your default pattern.

As I pointed out in one of the daily devotionals in my devotional book Find Joy (which deals with this topic, among others), “Negative chatter and a complaining heart are just us being really good at practicing the wrong thing.”

Let’s all remember the “sheep video” and make a commitment to fill in those entrapping ruts by purposely stopping ourselves from practicing the wrong things – and practicing the right things instead.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The MOST IMPORTANT Words You can Say to Your Spouse​

I love that old John Mayer song “Say What You Need to Say”. It’s so simple and true. Why is it that we often hold back from really saying all the things we need to say until something bad happens or we think we’re running out of time? In marriage, there are certain words that carry a lot of impact with them. So, we should say them as much as possible, right?
Unfortunately, the longer we’re married, the less we tend to freely and properly communicate. In order to keep our marriages strong, we should be doing the opposite–whether we feel like it or not. Here are the most important words we can say to our spouse regularly to make (or keep) our marriages strong…in no particular order:
#1 will make your relationship and home more peaceful…

1. I’m sorry; Please forgive me.

It amazes me how powerful these five words can be, and yet, we are often reluctant about saying them to our spouse at times. Whether we are trying to prove that we are right or we think our spouse should be able to read our minds, it’s wrong. A heartfelt apology goes a long way in healing relationships. When we make a mistake (which we all do), we need to be quick to say we’re sorry and seek forgiveness. When we do this simple act, we humble ourselves before our spouse and soften his or her heart towards us. The act of offering a sincere apology frees us from the guilt and shame that can often take hold in our hearts and minds. It clears the air and keeps respect and honesty at the forefront of our marriages.

#2 is a MUST in every marriage…

2. I forgive you.

This is probably even harder than saying “I’m sorry” at times. My husband, Dave Willis, is an amazing pastor and author, and he explains forgiveness in a way that has helped me to understand it so much better. He says,

“Forgiveness can’t be earned; It can only be given. Trust, however, cannot be given; It can only be earned. Therefore, we must forgive quickly, yet trust slowly”

We must forgive quickly, especially in our marriages, because unforgiveness can take hold like a parasite in our hearts. Eventually, we become a host to debilitating resentment.

When we forgive, we are not telling our spouse that his/her offense was okay or that it didn’t hurt us deeply. We are simply saying, “I choose to love you through this, and I am willing to slowly trust you once again. I am not holding this offense against you any longer.”

As Christians, we understand we have been forgiven of our sins due to the ultimate sacrifice God made for us by sending His one and only Son, Jesus, to the cross to pay for our sins…just so we can have a relationship with him and freedom from the shackles of sin and shame. If God is willing to forgive me for the many sins I have committed and will commit in my life, I must be willing to forgive my husband, even when it is extremely difficult. If not, the lack of forgiveness will not only poison our relationship, but it can and will destroy me.

#3 is at the heart of your marriage vows…

3. I love you.

For some married couples, “I love you” is something you tell each other multiple times a day. For others, it is something that we assume our spouse already knows. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t had much success with making assumptions in my marriage. I can’t help but think of my high school AP Psychology teacher, Mr. Bates, when I think about assumptions. He regularly and candidly shared a nugget of wisdom with our junior class, and the one that stuck for me had to do with assumptions. Mr. Bates said, “When you “assume” something, you only make an A-S-S out of Y-O-U and M-E”. I remember being completely shocked my his candor because I had never heard a teacher say the “A-word” in class, but, nevertheless, he had a point. We often make complete and total fools of ourselves when we make assumptions.

Your spouse needs to be reminded that you love him/her on a regular basis. Many of us have no problem telling our kids how much we love them, but our spouse needs that reassurance just as much. Dave and I say “I love you” every time we talk on the phone, text, or head out the door. Repetitious, maybe? Do I ever get tired of saying it or hearing it? No way. I love Dave so much. I honestly don’t think I can tell him enough.

#4 is a great way to encourage your spouse…

4. I am for you.

We might assume (there’s that word again) that our spouse knows we are cheering him/her on in their endeavors just because we are married, but that isn’t always the case. Yes, our actions speak loudly, but it is always nice to receive a kind word from our spouse. There have been many times when I doubted my own abilities, and Dave’s words of encouragement gave me the boost I needed to push through. Our words are so powerful. I want to be sure that Dave knows I am his biggest fan and cheerleader. It may sound cheesy, but it’s true. I see a huge difference in his demeanor when he knows he has my complete and total support. Why would I want to withhold that from him? I want to bring out the best in my husband, and he desires to bring out the very best in me. As spouses, lets always be quick to remind one another that we are for each other; not against each other. We are one. When win together; We lose together.

Being married is no easy task, but speaking life into our marriages with these simple phrases is something we CAN do to keep our marriages strong.

#5 will let your spouse know how much he/she really means to you…

5. I am praying for you.

Prayer is powerful, and our spouse needs our prayers. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time, and you don’t have to say the perfect words. Just ask God to bless your spouse and bring him/her peace through out the day. Thank God for your spouse, marriage, and family. Ask Him to strengthen your marriage and help you to be the best spouse you can be. Ask God to help you both have grace and love for one another always. Every now and then, tell your spouse that you have been praying for him/her, and you might even ask for him/her to be praying of you as well.

I also encourage you both to pray together each day. God humbles our hearts towards Him and one another when we pray, and our marriage grows stronger and healthier as well.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 Tough Questions to Consider Before You Call It Quits​

One hundred percent of marriages hit hard spots. And half of them end in divorce. If your happily-ever-after is starting to crumble, and you find yourself asking “When is divorce the right answer?” ask yourself different questions instead.

When I coach women who are struggling in their marriages, I often advise them to ask themselves the same hard questions I asked myself when I thought divorce was the answer.
It’s easy to look at what my husband is not doing and complain.
Women initiate divorce far more often than men these days. Many times we feel our husbands are defective or they’ll never change.

For years, I felt like I did everything–the cooking, the cleaning, the disciplining, the planning–and he was only a paycheck. If my husband was only a paycheck, I thought divorce was the right answer. He could’ve easily put a check in the mail.
I complained and criticized. I decided I’d made a bad decision in marrying him. I couldn’t remember why I was initially attracted to him because at the time, I didn’t even like him.

If my husband was only a paycheck, divorce was the answer​

My husband is more than a paycheck. And yours probably is, too.
Divorce may not be the best solution. If you get into another relationship, you’ll discover your guy is more “normal” than you thought he was.
Most people have thought about divorcing one time or another.

Even though your husband may not be doing everything as you’d like him to do, he adds a dimension to your life you can’t get any other way.
Instead of getting rid of my husband, I decided to ask myself if I was doing everything I could to make my marriage work. I wasn’t.

When I started asking myself hard questions, something in my marriage changed. Mostly with me. As a result of asking myself hard questions, I started making small changes. But they made a huge difference in my marriage. I started treating my husband differently.
And he changed. He became more attentive. He listened more. I started to like him again. A lot.
You may feel like he’ll never change, but quitting may not be the solution.
I wasted too much time focusing on what was wrong with my husband and not enough time on what he did right.

Download

‘How to Be a Wife No Man Will Ever Want to Leave’ Challenge

Instead of asking yourself if you should divorce, ask yourself “Am I doing everything I can to improve my marriage?”
Asking hard questions takes your focus off the problems and puts it on solutions. When your marriage feels hard, it’s easy and even natural to want to find someone or something to blame.

But the only behavior you can change is your own. And you can start by asking hard questions.
Instead of asking “When is divorce the right answer?” ask yourself these questions instead:
  1. Am I giving my marriage 100 percent?
  2. How often do I let my husband know I appreciate him?
  3. Do I listen to my husband instead of trying to be heard?
  4. How often do I speak encouraging words to my husband?
  5. How often do I give my husband the benefit of the doubt instead of jumping to a conclusion?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why Morals Are Not Enough​

American society is in a right-and-wrong tug-o-war. We are wrestling with one another. We are all discerning and standing up for “my morals” or “my truth”. And we often hear of the “culture war” happening in our country.
In my opinion, we are in dangerous territory. Not because “they” might win. But because in the midst of the war for what is right, we are losing a sense of ourselves.
Why is that? Perhaps it is because being right is not enough.

Beyond Morality

When I was a kid arguing with my little brother, my parents would sometimes say, “do you want to be right or do you want to be good?” I wanted to be right. And I’m not sure I ever outgrew the preference.
I’ve spent my entire life fighting for right and wrong. Only to discover, quite honestly, it is not enough. There is more to the issue of good and bad than being right (or being wrong, for that matter).
When Jesus was on the earth, his enemies were those who took morality as prescriptive, a list of do’s and don’ts. Rules. A formula. Jesus is constantly arguing with the Pharisees that goodness goes well beyond morality.

Here is a quick example: is it right or wrong to give to the homeless? Morally, it is right. We should help the poor. But anyone who lives in a big city and faces this reality knows that is just the beginning of the conversation. How should we help? Does giving money every time we are asked support addictions and make the issue worse?

What I am trying to say is this: it is very easy to do the right thing the wrong way. To win the formulaic argument but lose the deeper truth in the process.
The Bible’s word for this is wisdom. It is the deeper layer of truth. Not just should I move here or there; should I take this job or that; should I help or ignore the homeless – but the question of how should I steward the morally neutral or the morally correct issues I face in day-to-day living?

Our world is lacking in wisdom. We are arguing about formulas but not living well. We are arguing about morality but missing opportunities for truth. We are focused on symptomatic circumstances and complicated emotions rather than the deeper, harder, more mystifying work of wisdom.
If we are winning an argument but alienating a person, we are not living in the truth.

Having the correct fact (or the correct opinion) is not the same thing as living well. It is like when someone says, “I am just speaking the truth” to justify why they call someone a whore or disliked by everyone or worthless. There is a deeper truth that we disqualify ourselves from speaking into when we smash into people like a battering ram.

Boomerang

And here is the real tragedy: if we do not focus beyond morals, morality itself will be lost. Jesus tells the Pharisees they are so focused on the formula that they are sinning! It has no longer become a morality of character or truth but of performance and self-aggrandizement. A system to measure how I am better than others. Morality is not just about doing right but being right.

This is how we get lost in the “my truth” perspective. There is no longer a true north, a deep and uniting truth that flows through all humanity. My preference, my emotions, and my ideas become my morality – my rightness. And if you disagree, you are wrong (or entitled to your own version of the “truth”).
Without wisdom, morality decays into something else altogether. We become defensive and fearful in the game of comparison. Life becomes about beating others rather than joining them. And how we view right and wrong starts to form in our own image rather than any sort of intrinsic guidepost.

Healing, forgiveness, unity, and truth itself are only to be discovered if we are willing to go beyond morality. Beyond our delusions. Beyond our formulas. Not in the absence of morality, but beyond it.
Wisdom encapsulates morality. It is no less but far more. And we are in desperate need of a perspective shift. We are in desperate need of the truth of wisdom.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

4 Characteristics of a Good and Faithful Servant​

What does Jesus mean by calling some, “Good and faithful servant?” Who is a faithful servant?

Faithful

What believer doesn’t long for the day when Jesus will say to them, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt 25:23). This is opposed to those who wouldn’t even invest in what God had entrusted to them (Matt 25:24-27), but what does it mean to be a faithful servant. Jesus doesn’t say “good and gifted servant,” or “good and skilled servant.” It is being faithful where He puts the emphasis, so what does it mean to be faithful, particularly a faithful servant of Christ?

You don’t have to look far to find out what we are commanded do (Matt 25:35-36; James 1:27). In fact, God has preordained good works for you do to, if you and I would only walk in (or do) them (Eph 2:10). Being faithful is going where and when one’s needed. Ninety-percent of serving is just showing up, so being faithful means being available. One person that doesn’t show up is one person who won’t serve. That means more for someone else to do, so just showing up is essential to being a faithful servant. If you think what you are doing is insignificant, don’t miss the fact that Jesus said that if “You have been faithful over a little,” He “will set you over much,” so you might “Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt 25:23). Your faithfulness doesn’t depend on how little or how much you have, but what you do with it. Are you faithful in showing up and in using what you have been given by God?

Available

If we make ourselves available, we’ll be more faithful, but the world competes with our time and resources. It’s a battle of the flesh verses the Spirit. It is just as the Apostle Paul wrote, “For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate” (Rom 7:15), and as a result, “I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing” (Rom 7:19). God often places opportunities to serve or share Christ, but sometimes we are thinking of ourselves too much and fear rejection.

Let’s face it. We all like to be liked, but that’s not what we’re called to. We are called to share Christ, and serve Christ by doing unto others, which Jesus’ takes personally (Matt 25:40). The day will come when “each of us will give an account of himself to God” (Rom 14:12). For some that will be a day of rejoicing, but apparently, for some, it will be a day of shame, as they knew they were negligent in their calling, doing little or nothing for Christ.

The Apostle John wrote in that context, saying, “And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming” (1 John 2:28). If you are abiding in Christ, you will be available for Christ. Abiding in Christ produces fruits of the Spirit, and Jesus said that it is “By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples” (John 15:8). It’s not so much ability as it is availability. I believe 90% of being a faithful servant is simply being available!

Teachable

One way to look at being faithful is to be abiding in Jesus’ words, and those words are found in Scripture. The more we read the Bible, the more it reads us, and shows us where we come up short, but it also shows us ways we can be more faithful, and that’s our desire; to be good and faithful servant. One aspect of being a faithful servant is sitting at the Master’s feet and learning from Him, and that means reading His book, the Bible. This book helps us to yield to the Spirit more easily. The Bible helps us grow in holiness (sanctification), teaches us how to witness, and it reveals who are Jesus’ disciples (John 13:34-35). A faithful servant learns from the Master, so more time spent with the Master and His Word, the more you will naturally want to serve Christ (Matt 25:35-36, 40). A person who has their portion of His daily Bread will recognize serving opportunities when they see them, having seen dozens in Scripture.

Flexible

Your best friends, relatives, or spouse are generally the only ones you’d wouldn’t worry about calling at three in the mourning if their car broke down. There’s probably on a handful of people that most of us could call at that hour and ask for help, but that’s what separates the faithful ones from those who are only friends when it’s smooth sailing. When the waters get rough, many will bail out on us, but the faithful ones will not. It seems that the hardest times reveal who is and who is not closest to us. Scripture teaches us that “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity” (Prov 17:17), even if that adversity comes at three in the morning.

One thing about helping out was in a case where a nursery worker called in sick and so they asked the congregation if someone would be willing to lend a hand to the nursery worker assistant. I realize that there is no gift for emptying diaper pails, changing diapers, and feeding babies, but not one person offered to help, even though they only needed them for half an hour. That is until my wife stepped up. She was faithful, making herself available, and was flexible in serving where she could.

Conclusion

Today is closer than yesterday to the day when Jesus will say to some, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt 25:23)? Notice that Jesus doesn’t emphasize what is being done, or how much a person has, but what they’ve done with what they’ve been given. The widow’s mite was the greatest of all giving that day. I believe that Jesus will say well done, good and faithful servant for being faithful in the things that He command us to do, and those things are revealed in Scripture (i.e. Matt 25:35-36, 28:19-20;James 1:27, etc.). He will see this being done to others, by in reality, it is being done unto Him (Matt 25:40). Having done nothing for Him is a serious problem (Matt 25:40), but that’s the point. We do it for Him, and we do it to Him, and we do it for His glory (Psalm 115:1; John 15:8).

Jesus is looking for those who will be faithful; who will make themselves available, those who will be open and remain teachable, and to be flexible in whatever situation God has placed them in. I worked as a janitor for seven years, and nothing is below our dignity if we do it as unto the Lord. There is no trivial servant who has so little that he or she could still not be faithful. Perhaps someday, maybe soon (?), you and I will hear Jesus say, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt 25:23).

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

When Will We Learn to Stop Fearing Death?​

Despite the tendency of most have to avoid thinking about their own mortality, perhaps this year is one where people en masse cannot circumvent facing their inevitable death. Much like the confines of a funeral home, the current global pandemic and the looming, global economic repercussions of widespread shutdowns are forcing people to dwell on these things, which I believe is fundamentally a good thing. The prospect of death forces us to ask the existential questions of what comes afterwards and what things are of greatest importance while we yet live. I have already written on how one can die well, so I will simply focus on another area of interest for today, which is the question addressed in the title: When will we learn to stop fearing death?

For the one who is not in Christ, there is no real hope for you to not fear death until you have placed your trust in Christ. You may play at certain niceties, yet all of them shall betray you in the end. You will not fade into the energy of the universe, become some lesser or greater being through reincarnation, be at a state of peace or rest, nor shall you even fade into the recesses of non-existence.

You shall die, just as everyone else, and either have Christ as your advocate, or have Christ as your prosecutor. What’s more than this is that despite the claims of some, you shall not enter into some state of purgatory, where you can gradually atone for your sins, receive the prayers and offerings of the living, nor come to some greater state of sinlessness as the fires of purgation cleanse you. You shall die, just as everyone else, and immediately stand before your Maker on your way to eternal life or eternal death (Heb. 9:27).

For the atheist, agnostic, and practitioner of false religions alike, you must trust in Christ and Christ alone for the salvation of your soul. Only Christ’s sacrifice on the cross is able to atone for the guilt of your sin and cleanse you of all unrighteousness. It is not Christ plus something. No works of your own, no sacramental system, nor anything else shall save you in place of or in addition to Christ.

Only Christ’s sacrifice on the cross shall make you acceptable in the Father’s sight. It also is certainly not the Christ of your own concoction. We must receive Him as He is and not as we imagine Him to be. He is either who the Scriptures claim Him to be, or He is nothing at all. Only the biblical Christ is able to free you from the wrath that is to come. Death is but the entrance into this great and terrible reality for the one who rejects Christ as He is revealed in the Scriptures or trusts in some other work than His finished work upon the cross.

Yet despite having these essential facts correct, there are many a genuine Christian who still greatly fear death. These are the ones who, of all people, should hold no fear of death—and yet what has been revealed as a result of the current pandemic is that many a Christian are tremendously afraid of dying. I tend to believe the reason for this lay in the fact that somehow, many have taken exception to the reality that they must die.

They have neglected the great truth that all our days are numbered (Ps. 139:16). They have not prayed to learn of the brevity of life so that they might grow in wisdom and watch their ways before the Lord (Ps. 39:4-5, 90:12). Instead, the brunt of their focus has been on building houses in a world that was never promised to be our home. It has been on amassing that which brings comfort and ease rather than, to express the sentiment of Spurgeon, learning to kiss the wave that slams us into the Rock of Ages.

So much of the modern Christian’s angst and fear regarding death is naturally encompassed by their abject fear of suffering. The two naturally coincide simply because they are part and parcel to the broken, sin-ridden world we have been promised—and that seems to be the very thing which shocks us most: God never promised Christians “easy”, but He has promised us suffering. We are heirs to the promises of God—and yet we tend not to believe all of them.

We have inherited the curse of our federal head, Adam, and therefore know with great certainty that this brief life of ours shall be filled with incredible anguish of the soul, much pain, and our inevitable death—yet we do everything within our power to avoid these sure promises. We seek to reduce our suffering, so much so, that even that which is seen as an inconvenience to us has become an affliction. We have trained our minds to think of a mere disagreement as persecution, a slight difficulty as opposition, and a firm hand as abuse.

In much the same way that a wayward child ought to submit himself to discipline, the race of men ought to submit themselves to the curse of the Fall. We must, therefore, simply embrace the reality that we inherited Adam’s guilt for no small reason. In similar manner, we must appreciate that the invariable result of the curse brought upon us through Adam is that One greater than Adam would come.

Indeed, even the Fall of Adam was appointed of God to bring about His intended result. Adam, therefore, was a pattern—one for sinful man that he is born in the likeness of Adam—yet the most important of which being that he was a pattern of the One to come (Rom. 5:12-14). Whereas through Adam, sin and death entered the world, through Christ, justification and life came (Rom. 5:18). One man’s disobedience brought all into conformity to the fallen state, wherein the end is eternal death. The true and better Adam’s obedience brings those who trust in Him into conformity to a state of grace, whose end is eternal life.

In some sense, we have known nothing but a life marred by the Fall. We await these glorious promises to be fully realized, living in the midst of a world that continues to bear the consequences of sin. Yet if many of us were completely truthful, unlike the Son of Man, many of us have made a place to lay our heads (Lk. 9:58). In other words, we are comfortable living in this broken age.

We are contented, not in a godly sense, with the amenities of a world that inevitably falls grandly short of its purpose. To put it as clearly as possible: many have not truly believed that dying is gain, namely, because we have not embraced the sentiment that to live is Christ (Phil. 1:21). If faced with the choice, a rather large number of us would find it difficult to sympathize with the apostle Paul being torn between remaining in service to the church or dying to be with Christ (Phil. 1:22-23). Perhaps then, for Christians, it is not so much a fear of death itself as a fear of what we stand to lose when we no longer have the comforts of this fleeting age.

If then we are to be free of a fear of death, even a particularly nasty death, we must bear a singular focus on Christ and not the pleasures of this world. We must truly be able to say in our heart of hearts that no matter how it comes, no matter the cost—to die is gain because we will go to be with Christ. It is easy to run this mental exercise and assuage our conscience by affirming that death truly is gain—that we would die happily through suffering much.

Any person can say these words and many a good Christian can even earnestly mean them, only to find they still yet treasure this age when the moment comes to test their resolve. One true test of this is to ask if you have a twinge of sadness over missing the good things of this earth. Would you miss being able to see your daughter walk the aisle in marriage to a wonderfully godly man?

Would you miss seeing the wife of your youth grow to be a woman who is worthy of much honor in the church for her humble service? Would you miss seeing the Lord bring those to faith whom you bear a great burden of the soul over? The secret delights of our hearts, though not always bad things, are still far less worthy of our affections than Christ. All the delights of heaven, though unsurpassably great things, are still not more worthy of our affections than Christ.

Here then is the honest point of reflection for the Christian who fears death, or its handmaiden suffering, in this life: how much do you treasure Christ? If you treasure Him more than anything else, you would gladly suffer and die—even now—of whatever form the Lord has appointed you. What I’m trying to call the church to see is that we should be a people who can live out what is depicted of the apostle Paul.

As the church, I believe we have a mandate to live that reality out before an unbelieving world for the explicit purpose of making God known, so His glory reaches the ends of the earth. It isn’t so we can sit, huddled together and hunkered down, but so that we can share the hope that is within us, which is that Christ has delivered us from our greatest adversaries, sin, death, and Satan. It is that we might be able to demonstrate we have nothing to fear, since fear itself has been defeated.

The Christian can say with confidence that we will only endure hardship, suffering, disease, and political turmoil for so long. They can bring this news to the one who does not have it, and garner their own affections for the return of Christ. The Christian can affirm that one glorious day, Christ will return and bring in an age of unparalleled peace and prosperity—yet that that true treasure of this great day is Christ Himself.

It is in light of this great practice of making Christ Himself the treasure of our hearts and the hope of our days that we can take consolation now. Regardless of what may come, we can be confident that God who remains in front of His people, leading the battle-charge against our greatest adversaries: sin, death, and Satan. He not only protects us and dwells among us, He wages holy and just war against the great enemies of the church. He contends for His people and causes them to be at rest in the midst of calamity. Even in the face of death itself, He gives grace to handle their passage from this life to the next with a grace and poise befitting a lowly servant being granted an everlasting crown of righteousness.

If we know this is the case and we truly believe it, we ought to be a people who reflect an unparalleled air of peace about us as the world descends into pure chaos. Whatever form of suffering might be had—however cruel our death—we alone can say to the world that to die is gain. We alone have the only sure place of safety and refuge in God.

We alone can say that we will not die until the sovereign Lord has appointed it—and since that is the case, we alone can have incredible confidence in the midst of any kind of distress, not only because of the fact that He is God, but that He is our God. If we are to take true comfort in these things, we must come to the point where we can earnestly say: to live is Christ. In this then, if we are to stop being afraid of death, we must also be able to say: to die is gain. Nothing short of either statement will put our fears to rest, for anything short of either statement only reveals we have yet to cherish Christ as much as we ought.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Bible: Getting Rich Quick & Stinginess Are a Formula for Poverty​

Proverbs 28:22​

“A stingy man hastens after wealth and does not know that poverty will come upon him. “

The man described in this proverb has two overlapping issues: he is stingy and he hastens after wealth. Although he is racing toward poverty, he is oblivious to it.

Issue One: He is stingy, a word synonymous with selfishness and self-centeredness. We have all done business with this man: even when he gives you service, the odor of artificiality permeates the transaction. He is overly sweet until he doesn’t get his way, at which time he sours into contentiousness. This is a man you will not give repeat business to.

Issue Two: He hastens after wealth. He wants this wealth and wants it now, so he will take shortcuts to get it. In his rush for money, he will not only take advantage of others but will also be prey to “get rich quick” schemes. His haste will be his ruin.

Is Financial Advice Enough?​

We Financial advisors and educators in the world of personal finance are quick to give pragmatic solutions, and indeed we should help others with practical ideas. But we should never forget that personal finance is indeed personal; the character of the person will often dictate his behavior. This man, who is so driven to gain wealth that he thinks of nothing else and no one else, needs more than a formula.
Financial advice alone will not be enough.

Is There Hope For This Man?​

Of course. In God’s economy, there is always hope. This proverb is intended as a warning, not an absolute judgment. The man has a character flaw so he needs a character transplant. “How?” you ask. By taking on the character traits of Jesus Christ. Jesus, the polar opposite of this man, will impart his own character traits of selflessness and generosity into him.
And when this happens, he is destined to live a very rich life.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Refocusing the Drive​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

greatest among you become as the youngest
. . . leader as one who serves—Luke 22:26

We men devote so much of our mental attention and hard work to our own greatness. We plan for advancement; strategize next moves; put our heads down and grind. Deep in our inner machinery there’s something that drives us on toward securing greatness . . . of some kind or another . . . for ourselves. Maybe it’s on a small scale. Maybe on a large scale. Maybe in our work, maybe in our communities, maybe even in our faith. The drive is just there.

The twelve Apostles—men, human men—had this drive. In the upper room, a dispute “arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest” (Luke 22:24). But Jesus stopped them and taught them (and us) that this drive must be refocused. “But I am among you as the one who serves” (Luke 22:27). That’s our blueprint. His life is the blueprint for our lives. We must follow it and no other. We must reject all blueprints drawn by our pride, or envy, or selfishness.

Refocusing this drive, away from lifting ourselves and toward lifting those around us, is one of the most important things we can do, as men. It moves us into true masculinity—where we lend our strength to others, who need it, rather than use it solely for our own gain. We must trust that this is a better way to live . . . better for God, better for us, and better for those we are to love and serve.

Okay, so what do we do?​

Look around you—today, this week—for people you can serve. Keep it simple. Whom will you come into contact with, naturally? Whom do you have influence over, in the normal course of your days? Whom might you have overlooked? Ask yourself, what do they need and how can I help?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

3 Steps to Achieve a Healthy and Balanced Relationship​

I hear over and over from women who email or meet with me: “Why can’t I allow myself to be intimate with my partner?” Or: “How come I feel like running every time he seems to take our relationship to the next level.”

For a relationship to be balanced, partners must be able to depend on one another and feel they are needed and appreciated for support they give. If they have been let down in the past, the prospect of needing someone can be frightening. Women with a fear of depending on their partner usually aren’t aware of it. Often, they complain that their partner is not meeting their needs but they don’t want to risk being close to him or her.

Our society prizes independence and it’s encouraged in divorced or high-conflict families when parents are preoccupied with their own issues. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with working hard and becoming self-sufficient. But at its root, extreme self-reliance is about fear of being vulnerable.
Take a moment to consider that you might be sabotaging relationship after relationship if you don’t get beyond your fear of being vulnerable. Your fear of showing weakness or exposing yourself to others, for instance, might be preventing you from being totally engaged in an intimate relationship. You may be freezing out the opportunity for love because you are fearful of sharing your inner most thoughts, feelings, and wishes.

Red Flags of Unhealthy Relationship Patterns
  • Are you attracted to partners who want different things from a relationship or have values that are at odds with yours?
  • Are you ignoring character traits or behaviors such as dishonesty, possessiveness, or jealous tendencies?
  • Are you staying in a relationship too long even when you or important people in your life observe that you seem unhappy or feel mistrustful of your partner?
  • Do you pursue partners who are distant or emotionally unavailable even though you know deep down inside that they will never meet your emotional needs?

Reigning in self-reliance will help you build a healthy relationship with a partner who is a good match for you. When you first discover that your independent nature sometimes prevents you from true intimacy, you may be unsure about how to change this pattern. It is often hard to decipher whether self-reliance is positive or negative. Becoming more conscious of your partner’s needs and the value of interdependence is critical to developing lasting love.

3 Steps to Achieving Vulnerability and Interdependence in Relationships
While all relationships present us with risks, they are risks worth taking. The following steps will guide you on your journey to being vulnerable and intimate with a partner:
  • Challenge your beliefs and self-defeating thoughts about accepting nurturing and support from your partner. Resist the urge to be overly independent and self-reliant around hot-button issues such as money, work, or family matters – like where you might celebrate holidays or go on vacations. Full disclosure about important topics is essential if you want to build intimacy with your partner.
  • Visualize yourself in an honest and open relationship and work toward allowing yourself to be more vulnerable with your partner – let them nurture you and practice being more open about your needs. Vulnerability is a critical aspect of intimacy.
  • Remind yourself daily that it’s healthy to accept help from others and a sign of strength rather than weakness. Developing interdependence with a partner will allow you to become more intimate with them. Don’t let your fear of rejection or loss stop you from achieving trusting, intimate relationships. Surrender your shield and let your partner in.

Taking ownership of your own unhealthy patterns that prevent you from true intimacy is crucial to achieving a balanced relationship and interdependence. You must let others in and embrace the idea that you don’t have to go through life alone. Healthy partnerships are within reach if you let go of fear and believe you are worthy of love and all the gifts it has to offer.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

You Can’t Have Your Intimacy and Your Control, Too​

When my husband and I married, I thought it was my responsibility to teach him how to do things the right way. (My way.) When he called me a control freak, I got mad.

But I didn’t know how to stop being a control freak and let my husband take over.
I disguised my control as “help.” As his wife, I made it my number one duty to help him.
He called me bossy.
I told him how to do laundry. He ignored me.

I told him how to load the dishwasher. He ignored me.
I told him how we should manage our money.
He ignored me.

Intimacy in my marriage vanished like frost on a sunny day.
He didn’t want my “help.” He said I was a bossy control freak. (I said that’s redundant.)
Do you have control issues in your marriage? Are you a control freak?
Even though I wouldn’t admit it at the time, I knew he was right.

I was a bossy control freak trying to get my way under the guise of “help”​

I couldn’t find it within myself to let him take over.
I needed to “help.”
For example, I tried to teach him how to separate laundry my way. I separated it by category and color. Whites, undies, towels. He just threw it all in together, which annoyed me.
Week after week, I’d tell him the proper way to do laundry.
Week after week, he defiantly threw it all in together.

The more I tried to control the laundry situation, the dishwasher situation, the money situation… the more he ignored me.
Fortunately those days are over. I’m a recovering control freak. He still does laundry wrong, but I’ve learned skills that allow me to accept it.
Early in my marriage, I didn’t have the relationship skills and didn’t understand how my bossy control-freakiness was affecting intimacy in my marriage.
I didn’t have the experience to know the more I tried to control him, the farther he pushed me away.

I now know when you try to control a man, he feels disrespected. He feels like you’re saying he’s not capable or smart enough to do the job. And in all honesty, I did feel that way. I thought I knew better. But I didn’t.
A man who feels disrespected is not a happy man or an intimate man.

In order to rebuild intimacy in my marriage, I had to learn to stop trying to control everything. It wasn’t easy. But to get the kind of marriage I wanted (or keep the marriage I had), it was necessary.

The strange part about giving up control–besides feeling like he’s going to mess things up–is you actually feel relief, and you can relax.
Doing all the work (or telling him how to do it) not only puts you in control, but it’s also exhausting.
Does the thought of letting your husband take over make you want to throw up?
I get it.

I want my intimacy and my control you, too.​

You can’t have it both ways. Letting go of control is important to intimacy in your marriage. The more you try to control the more distant he will become. He doesn’t want to feel like he’s married to his mother.

If you want intimacy, you can’t have control. You’ve got to choose.
Control is usually driven by fear. When you want to control the outcome, it’s usually because you’re afraid of what will happen if you don’t.
  • You ty to control the money because you fear going broke or into debt.
  • You try to control what he wears because you fear he’ll embarrass you.
  • You try to control what he eats because you fear he’ll get fat and have a heart attack.
  • You try to control how he takes care of the kids because you fear people will think you’re bad parents.
  • You try to control how he does laundry because you fear he’ll mess up the clothes.
  • You try to control because you fear you’re not enough.

The sooner you relinquish control, the sooner you’ll restore intimacy.
I had to learn to let go to restore my marriage.
Letting go isn’t easy. It’s terrifying. You may have to take baby steps like I did.
Pick one area of your relationship–finance, food, kids, laundry–and relinquish control. Just let it go. Try it for a day or so and see what happens. Let him do it his way or the way he thinks is best.
The more you let go, the more respected he’ll feel. The more respected he feels, the more loved you’ll feel.
The need to control will drive the intimacy right out of your marriage. Give up control and build intimacy instead.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

What If My Husband Is Viewing Porn?​

If a wife discovers her husband has been secretly viewing porn, feeling “violated and disappointed” are understatements.
What if you discover your husband is viewing porn?
Trust takes a huge hit. And intimacy suffers.

During an episode of a popular show on NBC, one of the main characters suspects her fiancé is viewing pornography.
She’s not upset. She laughs.
In that 10-second scene, NBC normalizes porn in relationships.

If a character on a popular TV show laughs when she thinks her fiancé is viewing porn, why can’t you?
If you discovery your husband is viewing porn, contrary to what NBC says, it’s not funny and it’s not okay.
Porn is a huge industry and a huge problem.
Seventy percent of Christian men view porn.

Other than the people raking in millions in the porn industry, not many have positive things to say about it.
It does not enhance intimacy. It damages it.
It’s an unhealthy way to satisfy a natural desire.
There’s nothing “okay” about it.

If your husband is viewing porn, it has nothing to do with you and don’t let anyone tell you that it does.
If he views porn, it’s about him. Men view porn for a variety of reasons. And you’re not the cause of any of them.
But if you discover your husband has been secretly viewing pornography, you might feel unattractive and violated. You instantly feel distanced from him, not closer.

And you almost certainly won’t laugh.

7 more reasons wives shouldn’t be okay with porn​

1. Porn gives your husband a distorted view of what he should consider attractive.
Porn makes sex about the body and not about the relationship. If your body changes, your husband may have a difficult time getting aroused.
2. Porn affects arousal in your husband affecting sex in your marriage.
In one of the most comprehensive studies on porn consumption ever conducted, researchers found that after being exposed to porn both men and women were significantly less happy with their partner’s looks, sexual performance, and willingness to try new sex acts.
3. Porn creates unrealistic expectations.
People think, “Your husband knows porn is fake.” Reality says he may be wishing you could do some of the things he’s sees on screen because that’s what “hot” sex looks like.
4. Porn can lead your husband to seek sexual satisfaction outside of marriage.
He may become dissatisfied with watching porn and want to participate instead of viewing, which could lead to engagement with prostitutes.

5. Porn makes sex with you seem boring.
And why wouldn’t it? Chances are you don’t have a 24 inch waist and perfectly shaped Double D’s. Women in pornographic films haven’t had three children. They don’t have stretch marks or love handles. Unlike real women, porn stars are always revved up and ready to go. They’re never tired and they’re always ready to try something exciting and new.
6. Porn reduces your husband’s sex drive.
Men are visual. After watching porn, he may no longer have a desire to satisfy you sexually. It might be too much work. When watching porn, he’s not concerned with satisfying you. It’s not about a mutually satisfying relationship, which may reduce his sex drive because sex with you is too much work.
7. Porn may be a sign of a deeper issue.
Porn is an addictive behavior. Sometimes stress or deep emotional issues can lead a man to view porn. His desire to view porn may have little or nothing to do with you. As disappointing as it is, try not to take it personally. Your self-esteem is not tied to your husband’s addiction.
If you suspect your husband is viewing porn, it’s okay to be mad.

Don’t ignore it. Talk to him.
As hurtful as it is, be careful not to sound like you’re accusing or shaming him.
Chances are, he already feels awful about it.

Encourage him to seek help, either from a pastor, counselor or a like-minded group of men.
Let him know you love him, support him and you want to help him.
As traumatic as this can be, tough issues can lead to greater trust and deeper love.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

When Your Triggers Get Tripped In Relationships​

When Your Triggers Get Tripped In Relationships​

Ask yourself, what is the number one thing that is putting you over the edge?
Seriously, you are having an amazing calm, controlled “indoor mommy (or daddy, grandma, caregiver…you fill in the blank) voice” day and then, it happens. You lose it. Again.

Do you see a pattern? Tough question. The days I lost it I hardly wanted to document or journal the moment. I would rather just forget it. But stay with me here. People don’t just lose it. There is build-up or a trigger. Change begins when we become hyper-aware of our breaking point.
Identifying your triggers is extremely important as we wish to become “scream-LESS” or “lose-it-less” parents/caregivers. This reality was evident for me years ago.

After surviving a stressful morning with three boys under five, I was feeling discouraged, frustrated, and disappointed in my role as mommy. Negative thoughts pierced my confidence as the day dragged on. Mountains of laundry continued to grow in the laundry room and my living room looked as if a category four hurricane had torn through. The boys wanted me to play with them, but I was preoccupied with household tasks and snapped at them to “go play by yourselves.” Yeah. It was a tough day.

When the doorbell rang, I answered it clad in an old tee shirt, shorts, and hair in a ponytail. As I opened the door, the older gentleman on the other side looked at me and asked, “Is your mommy home?” At his inquiry, I burst into tears and exclaimed, “See, even YOU don’t think I should be the mommy!” I know he meant well…and it could be taken as a compliment…however, I just shut the door on the bewildered gentleman.

I slouched down against the closed door and cried, “I really don’t want to be the mom today…someone else needs to be the mommy.” As the minutes crept by and I continued to lean against the door, I felt this tiny hand on my shoulder and sweet toddler breath on my skin. “I wov you, Mommy,” he declared, and laid his head on my shoulder.
Yup, I could do it another day…this motherhood thing. Sometimes encouragement comes in the smallest and most unexpected packages. But what had triggered my outburst?

In examining the morning, it was easy to point out where the buildup stemmed from. It wasn’t my children; it was the laundry and chaotic living room mess. I was exhausted by the mere thought of trying to catch up.
Are your blow-ups a result of pent-up frustration over the never-ending laundry pile that seems to multiply like rabbits? Just when you are feeling caught up, you find another pile of towels shoved in the corner of your teenager’s bedroom. Or maybe it just drives you crazy that your house has not been swept in 3 weeks and then you step on a Lucky Charm in the living room and as you are pulling the sticky mess from your sock, you lose your indoor mommy voice in a major way.

You’ll have a sense of empowerment once you can identify what puts you over the edge. This examination of triggers works in all relationships, not just parenting. When your triggers are tripped with your spouse, boss, coworker or family member, explore what was happening when the “build up” escalated. Now you can formulate a detour to keep you from reaching the breaking point.

My personal trigger tips:
If your trigger is the laundry, consider going to the laundromat. Seriously, no eyerolling please. I did this for a season and it alleviated stress. After dropping my older boys off at school, I headed to the laundromat and as seven machines cleaned and dried the clothes, I read books to my toddler. After folding the clothes, I took them home in baskets and put them away. Seven loads were completely done by late morning. This left the must-have-tonight loads manageable and my indoor mommy voice intact. The added plus for my toddler was reading time with mommy.

Another one of my triggers was a clean house. I wasn’t even aiming for white glove condition. My standards were not that high. I just dreamed of floors and bathrooms cleaned on a semi-regular basis. And furniture dusted often enough that you couldn’t write “clean me” in the dust. Armed with this knowledge (revelation of trigger), my husband and I got creative and hired a high school girl to come in every other week after school and help me clean. This stretched an already tight budget and was a luxury; however securing the help of a teenager who was in need of cash was much cheaper than hiring a professional adult. Now it’s time for you to do some homework on yourself.

Commit to noticing (bonus points for making a note on your phone or writing it down) what is happening around you before you lose it each time in the next week. Identify that trigger and consider yourself Superwoman/Superman for now understanding the “what” behind the screaming/losing it.
Armed with that knowledge, what are some creative ways to combat those triggers?