• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

East Coast Plan unveiled

jw5

Loyal
HSK had kopi-o kosong. :thumbsup::coffee::biggrin:

Heng Swee Keat

is at Blk 16 Bedok South market n hawker centre.​

2h · Singapore ·
Rainy weather called for a hot cup of kopi
☕️
with my hardworking grassroots volunteers after this morning’s activities.
P.S: I had kopi-o kosong - the healthier choice!
1f60a.png

455789582_1068949111257489_8661804201615819829_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
HSK had a great time. :tongue:

Heng Swee Keat

Yesterday at 02:22 ·
Had a great time at the Thye Hua Kwan Moral Charities (THKMC) National Day Celebrations in Bedok yesterday!
I thanked THKMC for their service to more than 55,000 beneficiaries — including many seniors in Bedok. Over the years, THKMC has done well to build strong community partnerships with Singapore Airlines, Montfort Care Singapore, Agency for Integrated Care - AIC Singapore, and many others to support the community.
I also commended THKMC and their partners for constantly innovating to improve how they deliver services to beneficiaries. This will be necessary to meet the growing needs of our seniors, and allow them to age well in the community. Keep up the good effort!
I took the opportunity to encourage our seniors to enrol in the Healthier SG initiative and maintain an active lifestyle. Looking forward to the completion of upgrading work at the Active Ageing Centre at Block 12 Bedok South, which will provide new facilities to serve our seniors better.
#CaringEastCoast

jw5

Loyal
HSK wants to join our hands and hearts as one united people, and build an even better home for many future generations of Singaporeans. :rolleyes::inlove::tongue:

Heng Swee Keat

10h ·
In his first National Day Rally, PM Lawrence Wong outlined the Government’s plans to build a refreshed Singapore dream. One where every Singaporean can maximise their potential to fulfil their own dreams and aspirations, including in sports and the arts. We will make key moves in the areas of economy, families, housing, and education.
To push the frontiers of innovation and productivity, we are investing heavily in R&D and technology. We are also actively looking at how we can make regulations more pro-business, and how we can better support our students, workers, and businesses as they adapt to the fast-changing economic landscape.
We are also enhancing support for Singaporeans to buy their first homes and start a family. In particular, the enhancements to the shared parental leave initiative will benefit couples planning for a new addition to their family. I was fortunate to have taken a month of annual leave to take care of my wife and first child, and it was a very rewarding experience that has stayed with me till today.
As PM said — we have much to do, and a full agenda ahead. Let us join our hands and hearts as one united people, and build an even better home for many future generations of Singaporeans.
You can watch the Rally on the PMO website: www.pmo.gov.sg/ndr
#NDR2024 #ForwardSG

jw5

Loyal
HSK caught a good view. :thumbsup::barefoot::laugh:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Here's the Sturgeon Moon rising over Bedok tonight. I heard East Coast Park offers good views too — did anyone catch it?
(Photo by Bedok resident)

456248082_1070973041055096_8204700928380701299_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
HSK was happy to present Bedok’s Good Neighbour Awards to 17 individuals who exemplify the spirit of neighbourliness. :smile:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Happy to present Bedok’s Good Neighbour Awards to 17 individuals who exemplify the spirit of neighbourliness by going the extra mile to take good care of our residents and the community spaces we share!
They include our cleaners who ensure our hawker centres are clean and hygienic for everyone to enjoy a meal, as well as our hawkers who provide food for those in need.
They have genuine care for the community and are always ready to lend a hand for the people around them. This Award is a show of our appreciation for their collective efforts in making Bedok a better place for all. I offer my heartfelt gratitude to all our recipients! Thank you for fostering a #CaringEastCoast through your kind actions.

jw5

Loyal
HSK thanks the Nanyang Hakka Federation, Char Yong (Dabu) Association and partners. :cool:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Last Saturday, we celebrated the 95th anniversary of the Nanyang Hakka Federation and the 166th anniversary of the Char Yong Dabu Association, Singapore.
In the early years, our Hakka clan associations and many other clan associations have supported our local communities well, and preserved the rich culture and heritage, including cuisines, of the different parts of China where our early migrants came from. They have also contributed through charitable causes including schools and hospitals.
Many of our early Hakka migrants have played important roles in keeping our society cohesive, and in our nation-building since our Independence. Our most prominent Hakka is our Founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew. His vision of building Singapore as a multi-racial, multi-religious, multi-cultural society has served Singapore so well. As our society evolves, I am glad to see our clan associations also evolving new roles, and inducting a younger generation to continue to serve, and to build our Singaporean culture and identity.
I thank the Nanyang Hakka Federation, Char Yong (Dabu) Association and partners for your contributions and support over the years. Let’s continue to build on the strong foundation laid by our forefathers to find strength in unity, towards a more prosperous Singapore!
我恭贺南洋客属总会成立95周年,以及新加坡茶阳(大埔)会馆,成立166周年!感谢客属会馆多年来,帮助和凝聚了一代代本地客家人。客属会馆也积极保留和推广客家文化,让年轻一代更好地了解客家语言、美食和文化,加深他们对本地华族文化的认识。
我们有不少建国先贤是客家人,建国总理李光耀是其中一位。他为建立一个多元种族、宗教与文化的社会,奉献了一生,为打造我们繁荣与和谐的新加坡,做出巨大的贡献。
我相信客属会馆的领袖们,都能承前启后,在扎实的基础上,让所有客属会馆百尺竿头,再创辉煌!

jw5

Loyal
HSK was happy to meet Aichi Governor Omura Hideaki. :smile:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Happy to meet Aichi Governor Omura Hideaki yesterday. Governor Omura is an old friend. We last met when he visited Singapore in 2022.
Aichi Prefecture is one of Japan’s economic powerhouses, home to Japanese manufacturing heavyweights in the automotive, robotics, and aerospace industries. I am glad that many of them have decided to locate their regional HQs and R&D activities in Singapore. Building on its strong foundation of scientific research, Aichi also hosts an increasingly vibrant start-up scene today.
Governor Omura and I discussed ways to deepen Singapore’s ties with Aichi Prefecture, especially in start-up and innovation cooperation. Governor Omura also spoke about his visit to the National University of Singapore, which is working with 名古屋大学 Nagoya University and Aichi Prefecture to catalyse the startup community at Nagoya’s STATION Ai.
I’m glad to hear that Governor Omura had a productive visit and look forward to meeting him again.
(MDDI Photo by Timothy David)
May be an image of 2 people and text

jw5

Loyal
HSK thanks GlobalFoundries. :wink:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Semiconductor chips are in almost every one of our modern electronic devices — from mobile phones, to cars, to hospital equipment.
I visited GlobalFoundries, one of the largest semiconductor manufacturers with a presence in the US, Germany, and here in Singapore. The factory in Singapore is land-efficient, fully-automated, and capable of 24/7 operations. The manufacturing process is remotely controlled and monitored from a “control centre” which alerts human operators when their intervention is required.
The semiconductor industry is a key pillar of Singapore’s economy, and a source of good jobs in manufacturing, R&D and corporate functions. I am glad that companies like GlobalFoundries are proactively partnering with our institutes to offer scholarships, internships and other learning opportunities for our students. These include the Singapore Industrial Scholarship (SgIS) and Industrial Postgraduate Programme (IPP) offered by our universities.
I thank GlobalFoundries for your strong collaboration with Public-Private partners within the local research ecosystem, and encourage more local students to explore the opportunities in this vibrant sector.

jw5

Loyal
HSK was delighted. :biggrin:

Heng Swee Keat

is with MParader.​

·
I was delighted to meet many alumni and contributors to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP) yesterday at the 20th Anniversary Gala Dinner.
The school is one of the few institutions that carry Mr Lee’s name. This is testament to his strong belief that good governance was crucial to uplift the destinies of countries and the lives of people. Today, the LKYSPP plays an important role in providing a platform for scholars, students and practitioners to explore good governance, and applying this to different country contexts amidst a rapidly-changing world.
During my fireside chat with Dean Prof Danny Quah, I encouraged the 4000-strong alumni community to come together and make an impact. Many of them are leaders in their own way, and together, we can safeguard a rules-based global architecture, apply technology for common good, and tackle emerging challenges like public health and sustainable development.
My thanks to founding Chairman of the Governing Board Prof Wang Gungwu, current Chairman ESM Goh, founding Dean Kishore Mahbubani, current Dean Prof Danny Quah, the LKYSPP team and donors for your contributions to the School. I wish you many good years ahead!

jw5

Loyal
HSK wishes Happy 20th anniversary to Kidz Horizon Appeal! :wink:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Happy 20th anniversary to Kidz Horizon Appeal!
It all began — over a cup of coffee between two friends, Dr Caroline Low-Heah and Mr Douglas Benjamin, to start a charity to meet the medical needs of children born with rare and severe medical conditions.
Kidz Horizon Appeal is run by a group of like-minded friends from different fields, with the aim to help alleviate the medical needs of children with cancer, chronic illnesses, and other debilitating medical conditions.
Over the past two decades, it has grown from strength-to-strength, raising over $17 million to help more than 3,000 needy children and mothers. As the needs of specific medical conditions fell with better preventive measures, Kidz Horizon Appeal has pivoted to mental health needs and provided seed funding for KK Women's and Children's Hospital to support programmes that will lead to better mental health outcomes.
To build a caring and inclusive society, we need good ground-up initiatives and dedication of many volunteers. My appreciation to Caroline, Benjamin and your committee at Kidz Horizon Appeal, for your hard work and dedication over the years. I trust your efforts will inspire many more, especially our youths, to all do our part, to make Singapore an even more caring society.

jw5

Loyal
HSK had a great time. :tongue:

Heng Swee Keat

is with Dr Maliki Osman and
4 others
.​

·
Every step we take is a step towards a healthier, happier life!
Had a great time at our East Coast GRC X Pa Pa Zao (PPZ) 老朋友趴趴走 walk at Changi Jurassic Mile this morning.
1f996.png

It was wonderful to see a strong turnout of over 1,000 PPZ members and East Coast residents from all walks of life coming together. Also heartened to see our seniors leading an active lifestyle. This walk is part of our #HealthierEastCoast initiative, and I look forward to seeing even more residents at our upcoming mass walks. Keep a look out for such activities on East Coast Buzz and We Love Bedok.
A big thank you to the PPZ team, Changi Airport Group and National Service Resort & Country Club for making this possible, and to all our residents for waking up early and joining in the fun!
#CaringEastCoast
#VibrantEastCoast

jw5

Loyal
HSK is impressed. :thumbsup:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Watch a young Bedok resident — 13-year-old Yi Rui, recite her self-composed poem, titled “A Symphony”, which beautifully describes the scene at our vibrant hawker centres.
Her poem is a heartwarming tribute to our hawkers who are the heart of our hawker centres, where we gather with neighbours, friends and family to bond over our favourite dishes or a simple cup of coffee.
Singapore’s Hawker Culture was also inscribed on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage!
Thank you for the wonderful tribute to mark Singapore’s 59th birthday, Yi Rui, and to all our hawkers for your passion in your craft!
You can read the full poem here:
- - - - - - - -
A Symphony
In the heart of the city, where flavours intertwine,
Lies a hawker centre, a sensory shrine.
A symphony of sounds, a vibrant array,
Paints the backdrop of a busy day.
Patrons and hawker stalls fill the centre,
It’s bustling and sizzling in here.
Like a snare drum's beat,
The cleavers slice through, a culinary treat.
Like two cymbals crashing in a vibrant spree,
The spatula strikes the wok with glee.
Like a violin’s hum, warm and sweet,
The clatter of kopi cups in a rhythmic beat.
They come together to create a symphony.
I would always remember,
The times we have shared.
From eating with my family,
In warm Sunday air.
To chit-chatting with my friends,
After long school days.
In the hawker centre’s charm,
Where laughter always stays.
The clatter of dishes,
The sizzle and steam,
These moments with loved ones,
Every Singaporean's dream.

jw5

Loyal
HSK looks forward to meeting you. :cautious::eek::biggrin:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Happy to meet Bedok residents during my house visits, listening to their thoughts and valuable feedback, especially on the initiatives announced by PM Lawrence Wong at the recent National Day Rally.
If you have more to share, do join me at the “Let’s Talk about Our Singaporean Dream” conversation happening this Saturday, 10.30am at Bedok CC. Sign up here: https://go.gov.sg/bynpostndr24.
Look forward to meeting you!

jw5

Loyal
HSK congratulates award winners. :smile:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Good corporate governance goes beyond compliance and checking regulatory boxes. Companies and their boards must also take a broader and more strategic role to prepare for change, and drive positive social change in areas like inclusive and diverse hiring, environment sustainability, and corporate social responsibility.
At the 2024 Singapore Corporate Awards last evening, we recognised SGX-listed companies and corporate leaders who have enhanced corporate governance in Singapore. I encouraged companies to step up education for Directors and Boards, leverage technology to enhance competitiveness, and work with regulators and other stakeholders to evolve Singapore’s corporate governance regime to keep up with emerging needs.
Congratulations to all award winners, including Sembcorp Industries for clinching the Special Recognition Award for Transformation. Sembcorp has transformed its portfolio and business model, and pivoted from a traditional fossil fuel company to a leading renewable energy company. Sembcorp has also achieved impressive total shareholder returns, showing that transformation does pay off.
Thank you to The Business Times, the Singapore Institute of Directors (SID) and the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) for organising the awards, and championing corporate governance standards in Singapore.

jw5

Loyal
HSK asks you to start your journey. :wink:

Heng Swee Keat

is with Jessica Tan Soon Neo and
3 others
.​

·
Do you want to stay physically and mentally healthy?
Find out more about our #HealthierEastCoast from Cheryl Chan 陈慧玲!
The #HealthierEastCoast initiative comprises facilities, infrastructure, and many programmes to support the holistic wellness of our residents and promote active ageing among our seniors.
Find out what you can do, from workouts to healthier food choices, social activities and more!
Start your journey by signing up here: https://go.gov.sg/healthierecmainform

jw5

Loyal
HSK wishes Team Singapore all the best. :wink:

Heng Swee Keat

·
All the best to our 10 Team Singapore athletes who are competing in the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games! They will compete in six sports, including boccia, swimming and archery.
I wish our athletes a fulfilling and memorable time at the Games, and I am confident that you will exemplify the Paralympic motto of “Spirit in Motion” to always move forward and never give up.
Let us rally behind our athletes and cheer them on as they give their all on the international stage!
Singapore National Paralympic Council
#OneTeamSG

jw5

Loyal
HSK announces some changes. :cool:

Heng Swee Keat

7h ·
The National Research Foundation Singapore (NRF), Public Sector Science and Technology Policy and Plans Office (S&TPPO) and Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) have announced upcoming leadership changes.
Mr John Lim Hua Ern will join NRF as CEO (Designate) and S&TPPO Chief (Designate) on 1 September, and officially assume the roles on 1 October. John brings with him a wealth of experience from MSF Singapore and Ministry of Education, Singapore, where he oversaw policies and funding for academic research, and served on the boards of various research centres of excellence.
The current NRF CEO, Mr Beh Kian Teik, will join A*STAR as its CEO (Designate) from 1 October, and succeed Mr Frederick Chew as A*STAR CEO from 8 November. Since joining NRF in 2020, Kian Teik has shaped the key thrusts of our RIE2025 plans, and advanced Singapore’s research and innovation landscape. He championed major research initiatives in microelectronics and biotech, and built close partnerships with academia and corporates in Singapore and beyond. Kian Teik also enhanced the venture building ecosystem to translate laboratory research into real-world solutions.
Our research supports Singapore’s economic transformation, and help us tackle societal challenges like ageing, public health, and climate change. We will continue to collaborate with partners around the world, and make Singapore a Global-Asia Node of Technology, Innovation and Enterprise!
I welcome John and Kian Teik in your new roles and thank Frederick for your contribution over the years in the public service and NRF.

jw5

Loyal
HSK thanks all the educators. :smile:

Heng Swee Keat

·
Happy Teachers’ Day!
These students had fun making flowers (designed with words of gratitude for teachers) with their teacher Ms June at Bedok Green Primary School. They also played guessing games to get to know their teachers better and put up wonderful performances as part of the celebration.
On this special day, let’s celebrate the dedication of our teachers in motivating and inspiring our children to learn and grow, and be the best that they can be!
Thank you to all the educators for making a difference every day.
1faf6_1f3fc.png

(Photo from Bedok Green Primary School)

457621642_1077720947046972_1432602647385988915_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
HSK congratulates Yip Pin Xiu. :smile:

Heng Swee Keat

11h ·
Congratulations to Yip Pin Xiu for successfully defending her 100m Backstroke S2 Gold medal at the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games!
Pin Xiu is the world record holder for this event, which she first won gold for at the Rio 2016 Paralympics, followed by a second win at the Tokyo 2020 Games. An amazing and inspiring achievement!
Pin Xiu and her fellow Team Singapore athletes have other events coming up – they will be giving their all and fighting hard. Let’s continue to cheer them on!
Singapore National Paralympic Council
#OneTeamSG
(SNPC Photo by Dyan Tjhia)

457698749_1077769250375475_3106832245974110258_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Keeping global trading system conflict-free and fair is a critical challenge, says DPM Heng​

IMG5344.JPG

DPM Heng Swee Keat said the world needs to come together to face global challenges. ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
ovaissubhani.png

Ovais Subhani
Senior Business Correspondent
UPDATED

AUG 21, 2024, 10:44 PM

FacebookTelegram

SINGAPORE – Avoiding conflict and maintaining a free and fair global trading system is the foremost challenge of our time, said Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat on Aug 21.
DPM Heng told the 2024 Regional Economic Conference, organised by the American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (AmChamSG): “Going into conflict in order to get a better life for the people is not the solution.
“The solution is to have a system of free trade that is fair, so that we can help each other to bring a better life for our people. This is the critical challenge of our time.”

DPM Heng said the world needs to come together to face global challenges such as climate change, disruptions caused by technological advancements, and health security issues such as another pandemic.
Such global cooperation is unlikely if geopolitical tensions and protectionism are on the rise, he said, referring to the intensifying US-China trade war.
He referred to Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s address to a joint session of the United States Congress in 1985, in which Singapore’s founding father and first prime minister made a powerful case for free trade and investment.

In those days, the world had just emerged from a recession and high inflation, and many US legislators were calling for protectionist measures to address trade imbalances, job losses and budget deficits.

Mr Lee, addressing the Congress, said: “Does America wish to abandon the contest between democracy and the free market on the one hand, versus communism and the controlled economy on the other, when she has nearly won this contest for the hearts and minds of the Third World?”
He went on to urge the US to continue to maintain its position as the “anchor economy of the free market economies of the world”, in an open, peaceful and rules-based international order.
DPM Heng said that, in some ways, the US today faces the same choice. The fate of the global trading system is critical for Singapore, given the economy’s dependence on trade.

The AmChamSG event at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront hotel also marked the 20th anniversary of the US-Singapore Free Trade Agreement. Bilateral trade between the two nations since 2004 has almost tripled, hitting a peak of US$207 billion (S$271 billion) in 2021.
US investment in Singapore stood at US$309.4 billion in 2022. American businesses in Singapore employed about 191,400 workers here in 2021.
DPM Heng said Singapore looks forward to upgrading the free-trade pact with a deal on the digital economy.
“We cannot be looking back; we should be looking forward and looking forward. I think (the) digital economy will be important.”
Singapore has concluded five digital trade agreements, including one with the European Union in July.

In 2023, the US-Singapore Critical and Emerging Technology Dialogue was launched. The initiative was followed in 2024 with the Roadmap for Digital Economic Cooperation, identifying priority areas of mutual interest such as artificial intelligence (AI), quantum computing and cyber security.
DPM Heng said scientific and technological advances in generative AI and mRNA vaccines have reshaped entire industries, and our lives, in recent years.
He said: “The nature of these breakthrough technologies is such that it is very easy to overestimate their value in the short term and underestimate their value in the long term.”
Hence, Singapore has decided to harness such innovation and keep its economy and workers competitive.
He said given that US businesses are among the most innovative in the world, he expects them to play their role to help unlock new innovations and transformation in Singapore and across the Asean region.
AmChamSG chief executive Lei Hsien-Hsien said US businesses would like to work more closely with the Singapore authorities to help impart training to the workforce in Singapore and across the region.