• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best curry mee is back at Hong Lim Hawker Centre

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was an article recently that talking about shortages of duck eggs here, never knew that in the past they used duck eggs for Char Kway Teow & or luank, it seems that the egg give the food a sticky consistency, in which hen eggs doesn't, no wonder nowadays they don't taste so good.

I remember buka puasa & Chinese new year back in the old days, there was always a shortage of duck eggs as makchiks & perenakan grannies used them for all their kuih-kuihs! that one kena one time confirm heart attack but it was so shiok, the flavours were so much richer & nicer, once a year ok lah, not everyday:smile:

As for Mee Siam, i always liked the Malay type with Assam, i tried the Indian type once about 20 years ago & have not eaten it since.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is the old man still using pork lard? if yes than i go makan & book a ambulance to wait for me outside! :biggrin:

Yes before the HC closed for renovations the old man was still using lard....the baldy son still not up to old man standards....I only eat when the old man is on shift.
Note the HC is reopened but 2 days ago the stall not open yet but the neighbor stall told me in 2 days time.
I hope the newly renovated stall dun display previously all the photos of miws especially of shorty mbt.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1NJJ6K33DRJ8PQLA1MAKM.jpg

Alamak.... at Hong Lim, i forgot to mention the famous Tau Pok with taugey fillings / youtiao mixed with prawn paste!!!!!, wah lau, that is one of the best food there, LOL

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Going slightly off topic here so apologies in advance:smile: it's great to see that nobody is fighting & arguing here :smile: i'm really enjoying all the good comments here & it's really making me hungry. However something has caught my attention, do you think Singapore's food has gone sweeter over the years?

I remember Wanton Mee/Kon Loh Mee being savoury, i remember one stall when i was very very young used a dark meat broth to flavour it, later other stalls started using convenient ready made sauces like oyster sauce, soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, then came tomato ketchup & dark sweet sauce.

Even the kosong roti prata has gone sweet, it used to be slightly salty if you ate it without curry, now some pratas are sweet & even the curry sauce is sweet!

Char kway tiao used to be smokey & slightly salty with the pork lard, now it's just drowned in sweet black sauce.

Laksa also used to be savoury & spicy, now it seems sweet & spicy!

Even the mighty Chicken Rice these days uses Thai Homali/Jasmine rice, it doesn't taste sweet but it smells sweetly fragrant & some people even put in pandan leaves to boil the rice!

Otah-Otah also sweeter these days, (note: Otak = brain in Malay, don't make that mistake)

Mee Siam use to be a lot sharper & sour with their assam/tamarind, these days again sweeter.

I know food needs that added sugar to get nice flavours out but i think it's gone too sweet liao, anybody agrees with me?
Me bro..was teLLing my wifey as recent as 3 weeks ago why our roadside foods have gone sweeter & sweeter by the
day !..esp the MaLays' mee siams,Lontongs, mee rebus.Perhaps that's where diebetes came creeping in..:cool:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak.... at Hong Lim, i forgot to mention the famous Tau Pok with taugey fillings / youtiao mixed with prawn paste!!!!!, wah lau, that is one of the best food there, LOL

wa lan eh that Tau Pok looks a bit over fried & burnt leh, but i agree it's one of the best "hawker fast food" around, this one got pour duck gravy sauce over or not?

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me bro..was teLLing my wifey as recent as 3 weeks ago why our roadside foods have gone sweeter & sweeter by the
day !..esp the MaLays' mee siams,Lontongs, mee rebus.Perhaps that's where diebetes came creeping in..:cool:

Malay food in Singapore has become sweeter & sweeter over the years, it didn't use to be that sweet when i was a kid, i don't know why. If you go to Malaysia & Indonesia & makan at their hawker stalls, it's not that sweet but some of their more atas restaurants are beginning to serve sweeter dishes! Looks like Atas = Manis, i hope it's not true.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Malay food in Singapore has become sweeter & sweeter over the years, it didn't use to be that sweet when i was a kid, i don't know why. If you go to Malaysia & Indonesia & makan at their hawker stalls, it's not that sweet but some of their more atas restaurants are beginning to serve sweeter dishes! Looks like Atas = Manis, i hope it's not true.
LikeLy the cause is to cater to the Caucasian tourists ?..

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AK is this tau gau pao? East coast one opposite 112 katong is the best

No lah, Hong Lim 1 better, the sauce is nice ahh, dunno how that uncle mixed the prawn paste, not overpowering, sweet, with chillie... plus cuttlefish and century eggs, wah lau ehh..... drools.....

Next time try Narong :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
AK is this tau gau pao? East coast one opposite 112 katong is the best

No lah, Hong Lim 1 better, the sauce is nice ahh, dunno how that uncle mixed the prawn paste, not overpowering, sweet, with chillie... plus cuttlefish and century eggs, wah lau ehh..... drools.....

Next time try Narong :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think u are referring to different things.
AK's pic is using tau pok and usually sold by rojak seller, with tau gay inside and a prawn paste sauce, similar to rojak sauce.
What Narong is referring to I believe, is using tau gua, and has lots of ingredients inside including egg, meat, cucumber, taugay and usually the sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wa lan eh that Tau Pok looks a bit over fried & burnt leh, but i agree it's one of the best "hawker fast food" around, this one got pour duck gravy sauce over or not?
Bro, i did not confer you the 'Demi-God' titLe for cuLinary knowhow for nothings..you sureLy know your stuffs weLL, even if it's about having duck gravy pouring over them.:wink:
But sadLy, many Sinkies' onLy know how to put up a pic; and then start aLL the gasak bota stuffs' going.. :eek:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak.... at Hong Lim, i forgot to mention the famous Tau Pok with taugey fillings / youtiao mixed with prawn paste!!!!!, wah lau, that is one of the best food there, LOL[/QUOTE]

Wow...this is one of my liking tau pok. thanks brother.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always tapao the grilled Tau Pok and You Tiao.. Bring it back home and eat it with steaming hot rice.. Lump the rojak paste mixed Tau Pok and You Tiao together with the rice.. Really shiok when eating it with a hot bowl of rice..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah Lan Eh. Seven Early Eight Morning see this type of pics very cruel to me leh. Yes, like the Tau Pok/You Tiao and Cuttle Fish combo. Best to go with beer! :smile:

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was at Penang's Gurney drive foodstreet a couple of days ago. Their CKT and Fried Oyster somehow taste better than SG. Wife say maybe because they uses duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. Also like their fruit rojak (except the tau gwa in it which I hate).

Penang laksa also quite nice. Lastly, chendol is simply fantastic especially when eating it to complete the whole dinner package.