• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Being Honest

jw5

Loyal
Many years ago, I used to believe that honesty was the best policy and actually practised that in real life. no untruths, half truths, black lies, white lies, etc for me, too much trouble to hide and bluff.
But as I grow older and wiser, I realize that many a time, telling lies or untruths are ok, as long as you can get away with it and it serves your purpose or allows you to get your way. Of course not in the legal sense, but in any other situation, if you tell a lie and get what you want, so be it.
Agree or disagree? :rolleyes:

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think that nowadays ppl really care about honesty being the best policy. In this dog-eat-dog world, the survival of the fittest is paramount. The mindset is that if its gonna be in my advantage...so be it :(

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long there no attack on the conscience, then telling half truth is acceptable. The Truth hurt and some ppl cannot handle the truth. So being half truth is the best.:cool:

jw5

Loyal
Don't think that nowadays ppl really care about honesty being the best policy. In this dog-eat-dog world, the survival of the fittest is paramount. The mindset is that if its gonna be in my advantage...so be it :(
Exactly. Nobody cares about honesty anymore, in fact, some view honest people as being stupid.
It's really sad. :(

jw5

Loyal
As long there no attack on the conscience, then telling half truth is acceptable. The Truth hurt and some ppl cannot handle the truth. So being half truth is the best.:cool:
Agree. If it's not a legal situation and nobody gets harmed or hurt, telling lies sometimes is better than telling the truth. Everyone does it anyway.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my downstairs kopitiam ah peks tol me ... :biggrin:

ppl r scheming ... but dey want u 2 b honest wif dem ...

so dat dey can manipulate u over n over again 4 their personal benefit ...

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappo

Mappo, or The Latter Day of the Law, is one of the Three Ages of Buddhism. Mappō (末法 Cn: mòfǎ; Jp: mappō), which is also translated as the Age of Dharma Decline, is the "degenerate" Third Age of Buddhism. Traditionally, this Age is supposed to begin 2,000 years after Sakyamuni Buddha's passing and lasts for "10,000 years". The first two Ages are the Age of Right Dharma (正法 Cn: zhèngfǎ; Jp: shōbō) followed by the Age of Semblance Dharma (像法 Cn: xiàngfǎ; Jp: zōbō).[1] During this degenerate age, it is believed that people will be unable to attain enlightenment through the word of Sakyamuni Buddha, and society becomes morally corrupted. In Buddhist thought, even during the Age of Dharma Decline the teachings of the Buddha are still correct, but people are no longer capable of following them.

Don't worry, it's just a natural progression if your a buddhist. :p

jw5

Loyal
my downstairs kopitiam ah peks tol me ... :biggrin:

ppl r scheming ... but dey want u 2 b honest wif dem ...

so dat dey can manipulate u over n over again 4 their personal benefit ...
Your kopitiam ah pek is a wise and smart man.
But you need to be careful when dealing with him................ :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Many years ago, I used to believe that honesty was the best policy and actually practised that in real life. no untruths, half truths, black lies, white lies, etc for me, too much trouble to hide and bluff.
But as I grow older and wiser, I realize that many a time, telling lies or untruths are ok, as long as you can get away with it and it serves your purpose or allows you to get your way. Of course not in the legal sense, but in any other situation, if you tell a lie and get what you want, so be it.

i only believe in being brutally honest to the people i truly care about, even if it might bring hurt to the other party, as long as i feel the other party could benefit from my honesty, why not? :wink:
on the other hand, if i don't care about the person, i wouldn't even waste my breath at all :biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
i only believe in being brutally honest to the people i truly care about, even if it might bring hurt to the other party, as long as i feel the other party could benefit from my honesty, why not? :wink:
on the other hand, if i don't care about the person, i wouldn't even waste my breath at all :biggrin:

Exactly. If you don't care for the other person, why bother being honest? Only makes the other person hate you right?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Exactly. If you don't care for the other person, why bother being honest? Only makes the other person hate you right?

the funny thing is that you only need to tell the truth and the picture would be distorted in their brain anyway :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAnkqvbBmso&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAnkqvbBmso&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to be honest when you are surrounded by crooks? Starting from the Top. Monks, Pastors, Bankers, Insurances agents, we are surrounded by crooks.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
My belief is that you gotta to be smart, and play your cards well. As long as you're aware of the issues that are around you, and you play your cards shrewdly, most of the guys will benefit.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ha ha ha, good topic. Lying sometimes get you the job youu want. It really depends on the person you are telling the truth to. A well travel and unorthordox person would probably be more appreciative to someone who is telling him/her the truth. I think.