• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bangkok Runroaders, are you ready for the worst flood come next week ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yesterday contractor came to wash water tank 6 time over so its clean now. Tomorrow 3-4 workers will come to my home to move furniture and other stuff back to original position and also remove all barricades. Saturday maid will clean whole house. Sunday I go home. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone mentioned suttisan earlier...anyone been to the whorehouses there last time?
Remembered the whole suttisan up till saphan khwai was just like our geylang....

I lived in Sutthisan Soi 29 almost 20 years ago, during the Chamlong v. Suchinda coup. That time I had no time to explore too many sois as I was on business and in a hurry to leave in the middle of a supposedly one-month stay. I was with an American colleague and both of us couldn't speak any Thai considered as passable. We quickly finished off our business and ran like hell to Dong Muang Airport when the bloody shooting started. One thing good about Sutthisan that time was it was quite convenient to Don Muang. We waited more than 10 hours in the airport to get our flight back to US changed from next week as ticketed to the next flight available.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, everyone has a niche...
I love Thailand eversince i visited when I was a hot blooded 18 year old.
I have been there when thailand only had 74 provinces...the exchange rate was 1 sgd to 15 thb then. I also have seen the rate going up to 1 to 32 bahts during 97 crisis.
They like to say current king has seen off about 20 PMs....I myself seen about a dozen PMs.
The king travelled the length and breath of the country....well so have i :biggrin:

I say this without any hint of boastfulness or to show off because I have met many who have seen and done more....I know many farangs who were here since the Vietnam war....I just like to trade stories that's all.
My Gf a political science grad doesn't like to talk to me about such things because I always win the debate :biggrin:

I searched on the net and found out that thailand has 76 provinces with bkk being the 77th special one. When did the other 2 provinces get in?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fuckshops like these still able to find upcountry especially the borders towns where you can get non thai ladies....even those they throw in a drinking area to make some liquor money.

The closest thing in concept to this in Bangkok now would be RAO in srinakarin....but this is the hi-so version with bar counter lounge area and even an indoor jacuzzi pool...:biggrin:

border towns like danok and near cambodia?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I searched on the net and found out that thailand has 76 provinces with bkk being the 77th special one. When did the other 2 provinces get in?

Good morning Jah. Whenever a town or city expands it cuts into other town or villages when it gets bigger some holy one or smart aleck will give a "great" suggestion to have it carved into a new province. This will not stop and even thais make mistakes if you ask them how many provinces are there. For example Yasothon use to be just a town of Ubon province and was split I think in the 70s. If you ask me how many provinces are there in Thailand I will tell you +/- 80. Narong is a lau-jiao if he had seen Thailand when it was 74 provinces.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good morning Jah. Whenever a town or city expands it cuts into other town or villages when it gets bigger some holy one or smart aleck will give a "great" suggestion to have it carved into a new province. This will not stop and even thais make mistakes if you ask them how many provinces are there. For example Yasothon use to be just a town of Ubon province and was split I think in the 70s. If you ask me how many provinces are there in Thailand I will tell you +/- 80. Narong is a lau-jiao if he had seen Thailand when it was 74 provinces.

Ah i see. I thought they accquired new land as in cut into some other country's land.

I tried searching on wiki and i think the info might be there but i'm just too lazy to read thru it what are the 2 new provinces of thailand?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just curious guys. How different are various parts of thailand? Most tourists only know thailand as bkk, phuket and especially pattaya.

Also i have read about ppl saying thais or siamese are cowards cos they allowed the japs to go thru them and they became a major R and R place for american gis and so on.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bueng Kan from Nong Khai is the 77th and the latest....there were talks to shave off Suvarnabhumi back as the 77th then fell thru but the population didn't support it.

They like to carve out once an ampur gets too big....it actually makes sense and they need the stats to support it before it even gets considered but there are many beneifts to reap once an ampur gets upgraded to a province too...like what our pappies like to tinker with boundaries of the GRCs.

The last time ampurs were upgraded to provinces was in the 90s...

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bueng Kan from Nong Khai is the 77th and the latest....there were talks to shave off Suvarnabhumi back as the 77th then fell thru but the population didn't support it.

They like to carve out once an ampur gets too big....it actually makes sense and they need the stats to support it before it even gets considered but there are many beneifts to reap once an ampur gets upgraded to a province too...like what our pappies like to tinker with boundaries of the GRCs.

LOS is very diversify in terms of culture, food and language. Even provinces within the same region speak different dialects, especially the North and North-East.

Those who are in LOS long enough should have heard of OTOP (One Tambon One Product). Tambon is sub-district, below Ampher (district) and Jangwat (Province).

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wow this changwat is very new. It's only created this year in march

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bueng_Kan

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Act_Establishing_Changwat_Bueng_Kan,_BE_2554_(2011)

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOS is very diversify in terms of culture, food and language. Even provinces within the same region speak different dialects, especially the North and North-East.

Those who are in LOS long enough should have heard of OTOP (One Tambon One Product). Tambon is sub-district, below Ampher (district) and Jangwat (Province).

Do you know how many ethnic groups there are in thailand? I remember reading somewhere on the net that they have about i think 16 ethnic groups but all of them obviously speak thai.

I think the schools in thailand don't really want them to develop some seperate identity just a thai identity.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just curious guys. How different are various parts of thailand? Most tourists only know thailand as bkk, phuket and especially pattaya.

Also i have read about ppl saying thais or siamese are cowards cos they allowed the japs to go thru them and they became a major R and R place for american gis and so on.

My personal opinion begs to differ From what you read Jah. I personally believe most Thais although appears kind and obliging inside them is a heart on fire for their country. I repeat I said for country. Ordinary Thais will not have any authority or power to allow Japs and or Yankees to come in. It should instead be a person in authority who can do that and you know which institude in Thailand has been around for the longest time. I believe Thais have more guts and knows democracy more than Singaporean (sometimes I cannot help to agree with tonychat although he may be extreme most of the time). By the way the last great and brave Thai who led Thais from one victory to another was King Taksin (1734 to 1782) of the Thonburi Kingdom. After that it was one compromise to another and it depends on oneself to interpret if this is compromise or something else.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My personal opinion begs to differ From what you read Jah. I personally believe most Thais although appears kind and obliging inside them is a heart on fire for their country. I repeat I said for country. Ordinary Thais will not have any authority or power to allow Japs and or Yankees to come in. It should instead be a person in authority who can do that and you know which institude in Thailand has been around for the longest time. I believe Thais have more guts and knows democracy more than Singaporean (sometimes I cannot help to agree with tonychat although he may be extreme most of the time). By the way the last great and brave Thai who led Thais from one victory to another was King Taksin (1734 to 1782) of the Thonburi Kingdom. After that it was one compromise to another and it depends on oneself to interpret if this is compromise or something else.
And the person who open the gate is none other than Phibul (not pitbull). He died in Japan.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siam

Tai peoples who originally lived in southwestern China, migrated into mainland Southeast Asia over a period of many centuries. The oldest known mention of their existence in the region by the exonym Siamese is in a twelfth-century A.D. inscription at the Khmer temple complex of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, which refers to syam, or "dark brown" people.[1] It was believed that Siam derived from the Malay word sagûm, or brown race, with a contemptuous signification.[2]

WTH malays call them brown race with contempt? Aren't malays brown too?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaification

Thaification is the process by which people of different cultural and ethnic origins living in Thailand become assimilated to the dominant Thai culture, or more precisely, to the culture of the Central Thais. Thaification is a step in the creation in the 20th century of the Thai nation state where Thai people occupy a dominant position, away from the historically multicultural kingdom of Siam.

Thaification is a byproduct of the nationalist policies consistently followed by the Thai state after the Siamese coup d'état of 1933. The coup leaders, inspired by Western ideas of an exclusive nation state, sought to increase the power of the Central Thais. The businesses of interspersed minorities, like the traditionally merchant Thai Chinese, were aggressively bought out by the state, which gave preferential contracts to ethnic Thais.[1] Thai identity was reinforced both in the heartlands and on the fringes. Central Thailand became economically and politically dominant, and its language became the language of the media, business, and education. Equally, its values became the national values. Central Thai culture’s being the culture of wealth and status made it hugely attractive to those on the edge economically and socially.

I suppose this is where the red and yellow camps come from.