• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

I spoke in Hokkien lah.

The vege on top of the dish is 'guan swee' and the cucumber is 'diao kwei'.

Also don't forget your tomato slices.

hainanese-chicken-lg-691.jpg
Thought it's wan swee and tee boon.:wink:

This will take care of your petrol:
250px-Toyota_Prius_III_20090710_front.JPG

And it's still cheaper than a Suzuki Swift in Singapore.
After 2 months, still trying to figure out on the electric mode. Don't really understand the electric motor switching part. Sometimes, it kicks in at 90km/hr and sometimes it won't kick in even at 50km/hr. But overall, was able to achieve 13-16km/litre on average now for city driving but it's better than my 1.8 civic.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can cycle in Bangkok? There isn't even enough pavement to walk.. haha..

Well, if you drive.. yes.... if you are not driving , the expenses can go down quite a bit.
Actually many farang cycles in Pattaya but I lazy. There was this farang that introduce me to a bike shop. Shop owner introduce me one very light bicycle frame make of carbon or titanium which can buy 2-3 of scoopy. Siow Boh? Still have not add the tires and accessories. Complete bike can probably buy a second hand city/vios. Bah Jing Jing but farangs love it.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal

what do you like about Thailand?

For me, it is the low cost of living, the politeness of Thai people and the fun and vibrancy of the city and the sense of freedom to do whatever you want without much rule giving you inconvenience in life.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I spoke in Hokkien lah.

hainanese-chicken-lg-691.jpg

Not forgetting a few slices of pineapple, a small dish of raw ground garlic for those who liked more to mixed with the chillie. Chillies should have the seeds removed before grinding and mixed with garlic, ginger, sugar and vinegar.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Windsor, I pounded my own chilly sauce. My version is Chilli paddy with the seeds, garlic, sugar and vinegar. I tried ginger but find it too overwhelming. Maybe, I use too much ginger. The lime part was added later prior to serving.

The sauce also goes well with boiled cockles 'See Hum' and BBQ chicken Wings and Zhu Zha Tang.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Windsor, I pounded my own chilly sauce. My version is Chilli paddy with the seeds, garlic, sugar and vinegar. I tried ginger but find it too overwhelming. Maybe, I use too much ginger. The lime part was added later prior to serving.

The sauce also goes well with boiled cockles 'See Hum' and BBQ chicken Wings and Zhu Zha Tang.

If with seeds then you need to pound and crush the seeds so it does not make the chilly sauce gritty. I am referring to chicken rice chilly sauce, and yours may be different and perhaps better. I was just pointing this out as joetys is planning to open a stall. Rice must be of good quality and cooked with some ginger and pandan leaves to get the fragrance. Add the water taken from the boiled chicken to use for cooking the rice.

One think I forgot was adding some sesame oil to the chilly sauce.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the good and bad about staying in Thailand?

Low cost of living... that has to be the most obvious reason.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Take care, bro. Actually, BKK not really walking place. Most attractions are quite far from each other. Pattaya, maybe possible. I still drive/ride most of the time in Pattaya. A friend introduce me to cycling but I did not take up cycling. :p

BKK's air is not healthy with all that pollution:(
Whenever I visit BKK, walking is the best way to see the place. I always stay in the Sukhumvit area near the east-west MRT line. Walking up & down to those above ground MRT stations is a challenge when one is healthy. However when your health is not 100% it prevents you from enjoying the city.

In Pattaya I found myself walking alot: up & down the Beach Road, to the TOP supermarket, to Carrefour. If there was a bike rental shop I would have rented a bicycle:smile: In my opinion the atmosphere in Pattaya is more like a resort town & bicycles is an ideal way to get around. The only problem is that it can get very hot.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
These happen all the time even in Pattaya/LOS/SG. A lot depends on the chef/cooks. Sometimes, I get different taste of the same dish in the same restaurant. That's because it is prepare by different cooks. BTW, Thai food in Pattaya sucks! And the reason is because they cook it to satisfy foreigners' taste.

Food business can be very difficult if depends on the cook because he will always think he is making money for boss. This is why if every I have a food business everything must be prepared in a main restaurant or factory and all those idiots needs to do in the outlets are A+B=C. As for staff attitude its a matter of continuous education and company culture and of course got to carry a rod too but you can't use a rod on cooks if one depends on him to cook for the business.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thought it's wan swee and tee boon.:wink:

After 2 months, still trying to figure out on the electric mode. Don't really understand the electric motor switching part. Sometimes, it kicks in at 90km/hr and sometimes it won't kick in even at 50km/hr. But overall, was able to achieve 13-16km/litre on average now for city driving but it's better than my 1.8 civic.

13 - 16 km/litre is no good. My Tiida, even though not a hybrid, achieves 14-15 km/litre consistently. I think petrol is RoC is slightly cheaper. 92 @ 32 TWD per litre. I don't like the design of Altis, but if its claim of 18 km/litre is accurate then I might want to consider getting another one.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I spoke in Hokkien lah.

Thanks for the reminder bro. Yes I did forget the guan swee and tomatoes. Funny you call cucumber diao kwei because in my family we call it tee-boon guess its malay. Seriously this is the first time in my 46 years to hear the word diao kwei, makes sense。

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Actually many farang cycles in Pattaya but I lazy. There was this farang that introduce me to a bike shop. Shop owner introduce me one very light bicycle frame make of carbon or titanium which can buy 2-3 of scoopy. Siow Boh? Still have not add the tires and accessories. Complete bike can probably buy a second hand city/vios. Bah Jing Jing but farangs love it.

bmw-bike-3.jpg

Think this BMW bike will make your pickup truck look nice.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wow buddy its been a long time then . . . anyway please allow me to welcome you back to Thailand. If you ever pass by Bangkok please let me and wife bring you to the best seafood in Bangkok (mostly locals go).

Thanks for the invite. :smile:
I really, really wanted to visit LOS but just did not feel up to it:o

The plus side is that I saved plenty of $$$ which I would have spent in LOS:o. The stock market has also improved giving me more $ in my pocket. I can start enjoying with less worry :wink:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

If with seeds then you need to pound and crush the seeds so it does not make the chilly sauce gritty. I am referring to chicken rice chilly sauce, and yours may be different and perhaps better. I was just pointing this out as joetys is planning to open a stall. Rice must be of good quality and cooked with some ginger and pandan leaves to get the fragrance. Add the water taken from the boiled chicken to use for cooking the rice.

One think I forgot was adding some sesame oil to the chilly sauce.

You're last point is the most important step as it makes or break the taste for chicken rice. Now many people realize this. But not too much just a teaspoon for a bowl of chilli sauce.

I have to say yesterday's trial was pretty successful so this morning woke at 6am used yesterday's stock to cook another round of chicken and the rice and brought to office for staff to try. The verdict is they prefer my cooking than whatever they have eaten so far because (1) rice is so fragrant that they can just eat it by itself with our thick soya sauce, (2) the chicken is tastier, (3) the chicken is juicier and softer. I mixed the light soya sauce with stock and sesame oil to garnish the chicken (just like our style), then dark soya sauce plus a littel light soya sauce plus sesame oil for dipping and of course the chilli. They love the chilli too.

But I have to admit I could only partially produce the jelly between the skin and meat, this part I have to improve and I can improve because I know my mistake.

I will take all advises from all of you about the extras and experiment again. You see at the end of the day its not what Singaporeans like but what the Thais can accept as they will be the ones paying for it so I must make sure its something they will like.

Thanks.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the good and bad about staying in Thailand?

Low cost of living.. that has to be the best reason.

what other reasons do you guys have for this?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: What is the good and bad about staying in Thailand?

Yes Palden. Cheap Cheap.

However what attracts me most is the business opportunities here as the market is very big, government don't come meddle with you, its very easy to do business here.

Also personally the land here is very big and plenty of places to go for vacation or just the weekend, mountains, sea, islands etc etc. And personally I get to control all the money that I make be it much or little I get to keep 100% and manage them instead of being forced to cough out 36% of wage for fuxx. I also get to manage how I want to spend on my medical and medical here is world standard.

So Palden for me in Thailand its more than the cheap factor in fact there's much much more that this place can offer me and perhaps many others too you see.

Low cost of living.. that has to be the best reason.

what other reasons do you guys have for this?

Hi rectmobile, you can see the above post that I replied to Palden on this matter yesterday.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi dietcoke, I believe this is more of what type of business you intend to set up. For Side Door business (Pian Men), maybe.

For legitimate business, you only need to worry about the rental and the staff salary and of course, customers.

no leh, i heard that you set up road side stalls (although i am not setting up one), u also need to give kua tao lui to either cops or mafia. in the past, i played with the idea of selling up a small joint selling noodles, everyday sabai sabai. but not now la..