• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can make sinus worst not for those have sinus?

The cold makes the nose run. I can vouch for that because when I cycle in winter, there's snot that has to be expelled every few kilometres. In summer this does not happen. Whether it makes sinusitis worse I do not know.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We were in Taiwan in the month of Feb a long time ago. It was one of the coldest Feb Southern Taiwan had experienced and the nights were freezing. The army issued woolies did nothing to stop the biting cold. We froze to death for 5 nights in a row during our jungle ops exercise.

This was the first exercise of our 4 week stint and everyone was hoping to come down with a bad cold as a result of exposure to the harsh elements the likes of which we had never experienced before. Getting sick would mean time in the sick bay instead of having to charge up high mountains. However, at the end of the 5 days, NOT A SINGLE SOLDIER amongst the two Coys that were involved in this exercise fell ill.

We were out in the wilderness with no contact with anyone except each other, none of us was sick so there was no viral load to transmit so nobody caught any bug.

It was this episode, along with scientific studies that debunk the myth, that convinced me that cold does not cause colds.

That is appropriate evidence to prove the "old wives' tales" wrong.

Co-incidentally, during my NS, as an OCT, I and the whole batch went to ROC in Feb for about 4 weeks of training plus 1 week of R&R.
At that time, I was not so used to the cold weather, and felt cold when we were at higher elevation, except that I put on one wool pullover, compared to my friends' 2 pullovers.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Krapao is Thailand's most popular dish. It's basically Thai basils sauté with meat. So if pork it'll be krapao moo, chicken krapao gai, beef krapao nue etc etc. But the most popular is krapa moo sap which is minced pork. It's eaten by everyone, everywhere, at anytime. Usually cost only 30 baht with rice of course and it's a simple meal by itself. Comfort food I will say.

Removing the egg it look like this

Because this is not roadside stall so it's more expensive. I'm at Foodland supermarket. The meat and rice dish set is 73 baht. The egg is extra like I'd said (9 baht).

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BANGKOK: -- A hand grenade was thrown at thousands of anti-government protesters marching on Bantadthong road, injuring 28 people.
The bomb was intended on the life of protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban who is about 30 meters from where it landed.

The explosion forced protest leader Suthep to lead protesters back to Lumphini park, from its earlier scheduled at Pathumwan for the safety of protesters.

Of the injured, 15 were admitted to Ramathibodi hospital, 8 to Hua Chiew, and 2 to Chulalongkorn.

The protesters led by protest leader Suthep, secretary-general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), was on the fourth day of the Bangkok Shutdown protest campaign.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) police arrived at the scene at 2.10 p.m. and ordered people to leave the area as they believed there might be more bombs inside.

It was not known yet if the bomb was placed on the roadside but eyewitness said a bomb was thrown from a deserted building opposite Tesco Lotus super center near the Charoenpol intersection. The bomb landed onto the road just a few minutes before the protest leader would walk pass.

Witnesses also said they saw three men in green fatigues in the deserted building.

Suthep was said to be 30 meters from where the bomb landed.

Military personnel were sent to inspect the scene of explosion. A search of the vacant area surrounding the deserted building was jointly conducted by soldiers and security guards of the PDRC.

Sporadic gunshots were also heard during the search.

The search continued at 2.15 p.m. today as security guards believed they are still hiding inside the deserted building.

Military investigating bombs scene.

3 suspects hidden in vacant building

Protesters await to get their hands on suspect nearly killing suthep.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OznsAKpBWKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;2xRRi_c0_4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRRi_c0_4A[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Night view

[video=youtube;nAQ9Z3pFfmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQ9Z3pFfmM[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thought this was an interesting and objective opinion of sorry state of affairs in LOS. Also insider's perspective on it's feudalism, it's corruption and the man Thaksin in centre of things

With all sides wrong, there can be no right
Published: 19 Jan 2014
http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/390300/with-all-sides-wrong-there-can-be-no-right

Looking at the protests against him today, Thaksin Shinawatra is perhaps wondering, "What did I do that was so wrong?"

For those who do not know or pretend not to know, Thaksin was never anti-royal. In fact, he wanted the honour and prestige of royal approvals, which is different from simply being endorsed as prime minister. But a wrong step or two has changed the course of
events.

First, for decades the old elites have struggled over the "destiny of Thailand's future". Thaksin happened to invest in a future they do not welcome, to put it mildly. It's a conflict of, not just interests, but survival. We shall leave it there.

Second, in the Thai custom we all have a role that we politely play. Each role fits in to the working scheme of society. There's
always a boundary, and expanding one's role beyond it is a gross misconduct and invites conflict.

Allegations against Thaksin include attempting to monopolise political power under his rule, to establish a political/business empire through "policy corruption" and to bring the military under his personal umbrella _ this is a dangerous power game.

Third, as with any developing country steeped in feudalistic tradition, corruption here is an accepted norm. But again there's a
boundary one does not cross. Thaksin's crime wasn't that he took a bite out of the mango _ everyone does, even if but a nibble _ but that he's perceived as wanting to swallow the whole tree.

Fourth, there was an effort to build his cult of personality, creating an image as the national paternal figure, the people's saviour. But there can be only one in such a role. It's not Thaksin.

In addition, just as his supporters will never forgive Abhisit Vejjajiva and Suthep Thaugsuban for the events of April and May 2010, the protesters in the streets today will also never forgive Thaksin for it. To the power players, he was establishing himself as the Big Man ruler at their expense, so he made enemies. To the street protesters today, they see him as a pseudo-dictator, a barrier to progress and a usurper of the national identity.

The protesters want more than this. They believe they and Thailand deserve better than this. If one understands Thai history, culture and psyche, one need not wonder what Thaksin did wrong in the eyes of those who stand against him. Nonetheless, this is only
half of the story. The fact is more than half of the Central region and almost all of upcountry region support him. Put them all together and any Thaksin puppet, clone or nominee would win any general election in the foreseeable future.

To deny the Pheu Thai government its democratic right to govern is a slap in the face for the more than 15 million people who voted for it, and those upcountry people feel they have been slapped around for far too long.

Thailand today is the historical consequence of our feudalistic past. We may have progressed economically, technologically and in some form of democracy, but our skeletal structure is patronage and our DNA feudalistic. We are a web of tribal networks based on hierarchy, relationships, loyalty, nepotism and benefits.

If a hundred years ago, Thailand was the Bangkok empire ruling over subjugated kingdoms and fiefdoms, a hundred years since this relationship is still very much alive. We have failed to evolve our structure and DNA. Governors are still appointed, budgets and the police force are centralised and development has always been Bangkok-centric, just to name a few examples. In many ways,
Bangkok still rules the provinces as an overlord of colonies, rather than as the capital of a democratic country.

Hence, there is a history of uneven development and, over the past decade, a burgeoning resentment of being second-class
citizens. There's the decade-long war raging in the Deep South. Meanwhile, upcountry people have awoken to the double standard because Thaksin sounded the alarm, whether by accident or by design.

Add to this the proliferation of information technology through social media and the rapidly changing world around us and it's no longer a matter of accepting one's lot in life with the head bowed meekly. They see Thaksin as the leader who helped them raise their heads and stand with pride.

The growth of upcountry provinces over the past two decades can be owed to overall national development. But we can't deny that Thaksin's policies have also brought much development. Pheu Thai's two-trillion-baht borrowing scheme, most of which will fund a high-speed train network upcountry, will add so much more. Those upcountry people begrudge the Bangkok nucleus for standing in the way of their progress. They feel it's their turn. If the anti-Thaksin people want more and believe they deserve more, then so do the people who support Thaksin.

The leaderships of both sides are highly polarising. For example, the classic case of Thaksin was him saying that those who didn't vote for him should expect nothing from him. Then there's the recent controversy over protest leaders saying that "educated"
Bangkok votes should count more than "uneducated" provincial votes. Both are ridiculous.

Their supporters play along, as well. Just take a look on social media, where each side contributes insult and mockery with
righteous fervour, fuelling the hatred among countrymen.

Even academics, activists and journalists, those whose pen are supposedly mightier than the sword, join in the foray. Instead of
using their knowledge and learned skills to bring sense and reason to the madness, many have latched on to an ideology or tribal faction and offer insult and ridicule not unlike the ignorant and uneducated.

They engage in one-upmanship against each other and applaud their own righteousness. They write easy-to-digest "good guy versus bad guy" narratives and dismiss their chosen opponents with convenient branding.

When even the learned in society succumb to this, it is then no wonder that here we are today, a battleground for two rival feudal tribes vying to control the present and hence shape the future.

It is not what Thaksin did wrong. It is what we all have done wrong and continue to do so. Without first recognising this, there is no solution and there can be no reform.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After 2 years, 597 pages, 11,934 posts and 961,999 views - not bad for this thread I think.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In Suvarnabhumbi Airport domestic terminal now for my 7am flight to Isaan. Here's the renovated food court in domestic

My breakfast

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
First time I see a Kopi Tiam in Bangkok. I wonder who is the owner it is it a franchise.

The menu and prices

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Domestic TG business class is very simple, seats are larger but no personal screen. Price is double but then it's like $100 for economy and $200 for business per way so it's not too much more to pay. Anyway it's only a 40mins flight.