• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had a fantastic (and authentic) seafood at Precha, with only locals. Great company too, if I may add

My 1st time with mantis prawns

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thumbs up for this Precha seafood restaurant, with Jomtien enroute. Not fancy or touristy type, but popular with locals.

More pics (thanks to a crony, as I'm not trustworthy with night vision or pics):p Spot the zinc? Good nourishment for body (and soul)

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please send me the 12C weather, compared to our minus 22C which feels like minus 32C with the windchill.
Continuing very cold for the rest of the week.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The opposite of "global warming"

Temperature seems to be opposite yes. But this is the trend I read. Global warming will melt the glaciers causing a temporary (a few years) of cold in the world (the carbon dioxide enveloping the earth from global warming also add to the cold staying inside for a while) then shit will hit the fan as its no turning back and continue to be hot.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Temperature seems to be opposite yes. But this is the trend I read. Global warming will melt the glaciers causing a temporary (a few years) of cold in the world (the carbon dioxide enveloping the earth from global warming also add to the cold staying inside for a while) then shit will hit the fan as its no turning back and continue to be hot.

During the past week, The Globe and Mail (Canada's national newspaper) has been featuring the arctic and the Inuit people,
as well as concern regarding the arctic ice melting within the next 30 years.
That may be disastrous.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Having breakfast now in a chicken rice shop near
my home. Just discovered this shop this morning while driving around blindly waiting for car wash shop to open at 9am. It's normal for Thais to have rice for breakfast. I very happy with the taste and the texture of the chicken. Will surely come back for more in future.

The big plate of chicken thigh is 80baht ($3.20) while rice is 10baht (40 cents). Normal Thais will just buy a plate or packet of ricercari chicken for 35baht ($1.40) while special more chicken costs 40baht ($1.60).

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having breakfast now in a chicken rice shop near
my home. Just discovered this shop this morning while driving around blindly waiting for car wash shop to open at 9am. It's normal for Thais to have rice for breakfast. I very happy with the taste and the texture of the chicken. Will surely come back for more in future.

The big plate of chicken thigh is 80baht ($3.20) while rice is 10baht (40 cents). Normal Thais will just buy a plate or packet of ricercari chicken for 35baht ($1.40) while special more chicken costs 40baht ($1.60).

Joe the place looks very "rustic".... Reminds me of the kampong of Butterworth that I use to go to in my youth.... Simpler times......

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rember the movie "The day after Tomorrow" Dennis Quaid played the role of a Paleoclimatology warning of the change of climate..... Starts with temperature irregularities, melting polar ice then subsequently BANG..... Hope that DOES NOT happen....

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anybody's guess: another coup in the making?

Protesters defacing police HQ
coup.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/390952/army-prepared-to-intervene-says-prayuth

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
During the past week, The Globe and Mail (Canada's national newspaper) has been featuring the arctic and the Inuit people,
as well as concern regarding the arctic ice melting within the next 30 years.
That may be disastrous.

Go and watch "Chasing Ice" you won't regret it.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Slice of thai sino mango...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/391096/b47bn-to-be-splurged-during-chinese-new-year

B47bn to be splurged for Chinese NY

Thai-Chinese people celebrating Chinese New Year are expected to spend around 47.7 billion baht on festivities and travel, up 5.9% from last year, the Centre for Economic and Business Forecast at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce said on Thursday.

The centre’s director Thanavath Phonwichai said the projection was based on a survey of planned spending on Chinese New Year celebrations that interviewed 1,200 people across the country between January 16 and 21.

According to the survey, individuals plan to spend an average of 3,375 baht on spirit offerings, 1,791 baht on merit-making, 2,987 baht on buying consumer goods, 2,911 baht on cash gifts to children, family members or employees, 6,944 baht on holding parties, 8,550 baht on travel, 7,520 on purchasing luxury products as presents for other people and 3,915 on buying durable goods.

Asked about the coming Chinese New Year celebration, 37.85% of respondents thought celebrations would be less lively than last year, due to ongoing political turmoil affecting the economy, rising product prices and the diminishing purchasing power of people.

However, 28.7% said the celebration would be equally as festive last year, and 27.1% predicted that it would be more so.

Asked about the Bangkok Shutdown campaign and Chinese New Year, 38.9% of people polled said the protests would have a moderate effect on celebrations and 24.1% said they felt the effect would be severe, but 20.2% believed demonstrations would have a minimal impact.

Mr Thanavath said the Bangkok Shutdown would cost the tourism sector between five billion and seven billion baht in lost revenue per week.

The central bank’s monetary policy committee decision to keep the policy rate unchanged at 2.25% and the invocation of emergency decree have not yet had much impact on the value of baht and the stock market, he added.

Mr Thanavath said his centre’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth projection for the year remains at 3-4%, on the condition that political protests would not escalate into further violence

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bangkok braves coldest weather in 30 years
Published on Jan 23, 2014,11:00 PM

BANGKOK (THE NATION/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Temperatures in the Thai capital of Bangkok fall to its lowest in decades on Thursday, during an unusually cold winter that has already claimed 63 lives in northern parts of the country, the government said.

"Bangkok hit its coldest record in 30 years on Thursday morning when the temperature fell to 15.6 deg C," said Mr Songkram Aksorn, Deputy Director General of the Thai Meteorological Department.

This year's cool season has been the longest for a decade, lasting for almost three months, Mr Songkram said.

Temperatures in north and north-eastern Thailand have dipped to single digits, claiming up to 63 lives in 24 provinces, the Ministryo f Health said on Thursday.

Most of the dead were suffering from diseases that were exacerbated by the cold weather, ministry officials said.

The youngest victim was one month old and the oldest was 83 years old.

During last year's cool season there were only 25 weather-related deaths reported, according to Health Ministry data.

The unusually long cool season, blamed on a cold front coming from the north, has also had an impact on Thailand's rice crop.

"The new rice harvest coming in is not of good quality, because it has flowered too early with this cool season's unusually low temperatures," said Mr Vichai Sripraset, an honorary president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association.

"When temperatures are low, the fertilisation is bad, and then you get a lot of empty rice husks," he explained.

The unusually long cool spell has coincided with three months of almost daily protests in Bangkok.

Leaders of anti-government protests said the low temperatures had not deterred people from joining the demonstrations, some of whom sleep out on the streets.

"It's been cold but not freezing, and Thai people generally enjoy cool weather the same way Westerners enjoy sunny skies," said Mr Akanat Promphan, spokesman for the anti-government which has been leading protests in the capital since early November.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Joe the place looks very "rustic".... Reminds me of the kampong of Butterworth that I use to go to in my youth.... Simpler times......

Yes and even in Bangkok in the back lanes you can find this.

Rember the movie "The day after Tomorrow" Dennis Quaid played the role of a Paleoclimatology warning of the change of climate..... Starts with temperature irregularities, melting polar ice then subsequently BANG..... Hope that DOES NOT happen....

But looks like we're heading that way somewhat.