• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View from the balcony. I really wonder what the name of that new building is

Beoj26g.jpg

KFyeu34.jpg

eSMqhTn.jpg

eBzy2qO.jpg

8FY3zci.jpg

jMdtIpu.jpg

httHOGP.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Unbelievable this years cold season is really stretching, 20degC where I live.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20C would be almost ideal,
whereas today's (Jan 13, 2014) unseasonal day time high of 6C feels balmy
compared to the minus 35C last week.
Earlier today, I was wearing a cotton shirt, a cotton T shirt underneath and corduroy pants when I walked from my home to the Second Cup for a cup of coffee.
Unfortunately, in three days, we will be back to minus 9C

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
New menu at my favourite restaurant Wile I Love You.

Had two fo these tonight, of course wiht a good company to replax

Sweet salty ginko

Rocket salad

Foie gras with bananas (AhMen will like this)

NZ mussels cooked with white wine cream sauce

Spaghetti with prawn roe

NY Roast Chicken

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's getting even colder over last night. 8.30 now and many parts of Bangkok is below 20 degC

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Froggy...better wear more clothes..else you catch a cold :biggrin: Muack!

An individual does not catch a cold from being outside in cold weather.
But from virus.
It is minus 6C in Toronto, and if I take a walk outside, with my long sleeve cotton shirt and corduroy pants, I may feel cold, but I will not catch a cold.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is my 12,000th post. So it's special for me. I'm celebrating it now alone in Yamagoya Ramen restaurant in Thong Lor over a bowl of Ramen and a couple of Asahi.

One of the best ramen I've eaten including Japan.

Cheers everyone - More Good Years, HUAT AH!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks AhMeng

Today have a fresh Hokkaido hokkae so the only way to do it is to grill it

(sorry video taken in portrait)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
An individual does not catch a cold from being outside in cold weather.
But from virus.
It is minus 6C in Toronto, and if I take a walk outside, with my long sleeve cotton shirt and corduroy pants, I may feel cold, but I will not catch a cold.

Yeah I've been trying to explain this to others for as long as I can remember but it seems to be impossible to debunk these old wives tales. It's too deeply ingrained into the psyche of most Singaporeans because of what their mothers told them when they were kids.

The reason why colds are more prevalent in Winter is not because of the temperature drop but because of the change in behaviour. Everyone stays indoors and this increases the probability of transmission. The net result is more people end up with the common cold and flu.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah I've been trying to explain this to others for as long as I can remember but it seems to be impossible to debunk these old wives tales. It's too deeply ingrained into the psyche of most Singaporeans because of what their mother told them when they were kids.

The reason why colds are more prevalent in Winter is not because of the temperature drop but because of the change in behaviour. Everyone stays indoors and this increases the probability of transmission. The net result is more people end up with the common cold and flu.

Even my wife, who is in health care, does not agree with me re: cold weather does not make an individual catch a cold.
It is from others sneezing, not washing hands often, and being indoors compared being outside during the warmer months.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Even my wife, who is in health care, does not agree with me re: cold weather does not make an individual catch a cold.
It is from others sneezing, not washing hands often, and being indoors compared being outside during the warmer months.

We were in Taiwan in the month of Feb a long time ago. It was one of the coldest Feb Southern Taiwan had experienced and the nights were freezing. The army issued woolies did nothing to stop the biting cold. We froze to death for 5 nights in a row during our jungle ops exercise.

This was the first exercise of our 4 week stint and everyone was hoping to come down with a bad cold as a result of exposure to the harsh elements the likes of which we had never experienced before. Getting sick would mean time in the sick bay instead of having to charge up high mountains. However, at the end of the 5 days, NOT A SINGLE SOLDIER amongst the two Coys that were involved in this exercise fell ill.

We were out in the wilderness with no contact with anyone except each other, none of us was sick so there was no viral load to transmit so nobody caught any bug.

It was this episode, along with scientific studies that debunk the myth, that convinced me that cold does not cause colds.