• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why most chinese dont like chinese names

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
....What God or rather religion is only an abstract or imaginery figure that man seek comfort when in times of trouble or dilemma....No one has ever been there(heaven) and come back..by LKY

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese are ashamed of their own race. They are also the world's foremost Anglophiles. They literally worship the West.

Of course you are excluding yourself, SAM. The word Leong, is this an African word? Shameless to be shameful of ones roots.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many adopt a christian name for practical reasons . Imagine how hard it would be for angmos or none chinese to remember chinese names.

Agreed.
But I have resided and worked in Toronto for 30+ years, and continue to use the name my parents gave me at birth.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many adopt a christian name for practical reasons . Imagine how hard it would be for angmos or none chinese to remember chinese names.

not all angmo have english name too. many americans are of eastern europe descent too and their name also difficult to pronounce too.

one must be proud of their own culture, i dont have a angmo name and i didnt give my son an angmo name. i insist to be known by my chinese name which is given by my parents. if anyone cannot remember my name, then he/she can jolly well fark off.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Why should the Chinese have to make things easy for the Ang Mohs? :rolleyes: If they can't pronounce Chinese names, that is their problem not yours.

The rest of the world doesn't have to kowtow to the white trash. Why do Chinese have to be the exception?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe not kowtow, but the rest of the world sure is picking up on western culture - just take a look at how eager Sinkies are acquiring Halloween.

Cheers!

...........The rest of the world doesn't have to kowtow to the white trash. Why do Chinese have to be the exception?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why should the Chinese have to make things easy for the Ang Mohs? :rolleyes: If they can't pronounce Chinese names, that is their problem not yours.

The rest of the world doesn't have to kowtow to the white trash. Why do Chinese have to be the exception?

But my name is Ang Koo Kwee, & my cousin is Ho Tai Lok!...would like to hear any ang moh pronounce that..it would be a thrill!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

iamhere

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese are ashamed of their own race. They are also the world's foremost Anglophiles. They literally worship the West.
Fully agree with u on this one! Ask the one who cannot speak his own language until age 32(year 1955), before which he was illiterate in Mandarin , yet he learned Japanese as an adult and he worked as a Japanese translator during the Japanese occupation of Singapore(year 1942-1945).

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fully agree with u on this one! Ask the one who cannot speak his own language until age 32(year 1955), before which he was illiterate in Mandarin , yet he learned Japanese as an adult and he worked as a Japanese translator during the Japanese occupation of Singapore(year 1942-1945).

That is a 'trader'...where power & connections plus money, open many doors & have an opportunities where the common people does not have!!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Correction. There were no translators working in the Kempeitai. 'Translator' is just a euphemism for an operative who spied on his own people during the Sook Ching operation.

iamhere

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correction. There were no translators working in the Kempeitai. 'Translator' is just a euphemism for an operative who spied on his own people during the Sook Ching operation.

oops, my apologies, all along i thought "translator" was a highly regarded public figure........

:wink::wink::wink::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink::wink::wink:

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot tahan those ministers (Toni,Lawrance,Grace,Amy,Irene,Josephine) wearing a European names and introduce themselves especially to angmo foreign dignitaries and behaving unconsciously as if we are their slaves to them! Very Shameful to Singapore!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are working in a small group long names might not be an issue.

However If you have to work in a larger organisations it can be a hassle. Especially if they don't use email . I can tell you the number of times I've wasted trying to explain how to spell my chinese name, which is my surname, & which is my given name & why my chinese name has 2 parts.

An MNC I worked for opened an account with Etrade for me because they wanted to give me some shares. The american HR staff made a mistake confusing my family name & given name. I finally got this corrected but I had to send a notorised copies of my passport:eek:

It has nothing to do about being chinese or being proud of one's name. It is just being practical. Some angmos names are as also long & we often use initals to identify them. Take for example when we are refering to the old fart. How many use Lee Kuan Yew:confused: I simply use old fart or LKY.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are working in a small group long names might not be an issue.

However If you have to work in a larger organisations it can be a hassle. Especially if they don't use email . I can tell you the number of times I've wasted trying to explain how to spell my chinese name, which is my surname, & which is my given name & why my chinese name has 2 parts.

i dont see how an angmos name can help in getting share options in a MNC. never mind, what do i know in the first place...:*:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

The main reason is because the Chinese language uses tones and that makes pronunciation difficult. If there were no tones, then reading the Chinese names in English would sound practically the same as how they would sound when read in Chinese. Chinese characters are also not easy to romanise due to the tonal system and loses its meaning completely without the tones. Hence, it becomes meaningless if you address someone as "Dong" which may have several meanings in Chinese and sounds ridiculous in English.

Chinese is an ancient language and is more suited as a written language rather than spoken. The alphabet dominates the world now and if your language cannot be easily translated into the alphabet system, it might be better to just adopt an English name as a compromise if you work across borders.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main reason is because the Chinese language uses tones and that makes pronunciation difficult. If there were no tones, then reading the Chinese names in English would sound practically the same as how they would sound when read in Chinese. Chinese characters are also not easy to romanise due to the tonal system and loses its meaning completely without the tones. Hence, it becomes meaningless if you address someone as "Dong" which may have several meanings in Chinese and sounds ridiculous in English.

Chinese is an ancient language and is more suited as a written language rather than spoken. The alphabet dominates the world now and if your language cannot be easily translated into the alphabet system, it might be better to just adopt an English name as a compromise if you work across borders.

Thank you for all your efforts to justify wearing a European name and I guess you must be a employee yourselves.I admire lky even his family member are not wearing any .!This is what I call boss or king mentality. You continue to behaving like a slave..........

No wonder Ho Ching said before that only Chinese waiters/waitresses are made to wear European names!