• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus chats with a few aunties. :biggrin:

344746770_1242439423062556_8826768016706505186_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

3 May at 07:43 ·
Our house visit rounds to wrap up the month included hitting most of 261B #Compassvale and closing out at 320D #Anchorvale. In a burst of effort, we even got a solid head start on 322B.
We met two different families with members who are on the autism spectrum (as an academic, who has met dozens and dozens of brilliant scholars who are on the spectrum, I hesitate to characterize this as a “disorder”). For me, the main difference in such individuals is that they are wired to think and learn differently, which often means that a school system that isn’t sufficiently resourced will tend to struggle to adequately cater to their distinct learning styles. A resident shared that she was told by a teacher at Pathlight that given the teacher-student ratio there, it was impossible to offer the quality of teaching and support they would like, leaving some parents to resort to private solutions. This echoes the thoughts of another resident, who shared that his son had been channeled to IMH, but the shortage of nursing staff there meant that they often had to resort to cruder forms of managing a distressed patient, rather than a gentler approach if they had more resources.
Perhaps more importantly, when these individuals aren’t allowed to blossom to their full potential, we may lose their unique contributions to our society. After all, some on the spectrum may eventually develop into the sort of talented intellectuals and leaders that we need and want.
None of this is to say that providing such additional resources for an admittedly small segment of our society isn’t going to be costly and—from a certain perspective—less efficient. But it comes down to less a case of how best to optimize the use of limited inputs in the country (a so-called “positive” problem, one that economists love), to one of what we wish to prioritize as a society, and why (a “normative” question, which may come down to philosophy and values). For me, I think that any rich, advanced nation has a prerogative and a responsibility to care for the less-fortunate among us, even if that means sacrificing some elements of efficiency, independence, or merit. After all, we don’t ask of a beautiful painting or piece of music whether it was produced in the least time possible; we simply accept that there is a certain amount of magic in the process of creating art that we should not only tolerate, but celebrate.

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

5 d

The Workers' Party

5 d ·
In his speech on the healthcare motion, spoke about building a more resilient system by increasing capacity, rather than running an efficient but lean system that could be fragile to shocks like the pandemic.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus participated in the "Top Guns" forum. :wink:

Jamus Lim

4 d ·
I recently had the pleasure of participating in the National University of Singapore Political Association’s “Top Guns” Forum, which is held annually, and touches on key economic, political, and social concerns in our country. This year, I represented the #workersparty at the event, joining a panel comprising MOS Alvin Tan (PAP), Hazel Poa (PSP), and Bryan Lim (SDP). Gillian Koh (Institute of Policy Studies - IPS) was our sparkling and provocative moderator.
The forum was held under Chatham House rules, so I’m not at much liberty to share details. But our discussion ranged across the public policy space, including possible reforms of the educational and human capital training system, the rising cost of living (especially housing, and options therein for young families), and the vibrancy of our local political landscape.
Thanks to all who took part and posed questions—your involvement speaks volumes about the increasing engagement of the youth in public affairs—and to the organizers for their invitation, and professionalism in pulling off an excellent event.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...0PkfCQzFSEff80q3cmAgxDgT6FPtwujL&__tn__=*bH-R

jw5

Loyal
Jamus shares a workout tip. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
I’m not generally one to pontificate about workout strategies, but as a fan of efficiency, I thought it’s worth sharing one tip: compound lifts. There are plenty of these around, but the big ones—which I do myself—are the benchpress, overhead press, pullup, deadlift, and squat (bonus: you can do a lot of these with just a barbell and simple rack, no need for fancy gym equipment).
These exercises build musculature, which many (including myself, when I was younger) pursue for aesthetic reasons. There’s nothing wrong with that, per se (although my wife doesn’t like bulky guys, so that’s another motivation for me not to get massive). But even if size isn’t one’s main goal, there are a host of other benefits that weight training can offer.
As it turns out, strength is really important for maintaining quality of life as one ages, and there’s even some evidence that it can prolong longevity (https://nyti.ms/41ChztJ). As I’ve gotten older, I’ve also come to appreciate how nice it is to be able to carry our daughter and mess around the playground with her. Even simple activities are easier to execute if the strength to do them isn’t at the forefront of one’s mind.
So if you’re into keeping fit for your family, I’d recommend adding a strength routine to your workouts. Of course, like so much else in life, it does come down to a steady discipline of keeping at it, week after week, for the work to truly bear fruit.
May be a selfie of 1 person, beard, biceps, barbell, tank top and text

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

3 d ·
This week, we completed our house visits at @322B #Anchorvale, finished our rounds at neighboring 322C (we doubled up this week), and even managed to cover the upper floors of 323A.
Our Saturday visit was also a day before Mother’s Day, so—thanks to the generosity of some donors—we were able to hand out some simple woven sunflowers, as a small token of appreciation to our #SengkangGRC resident-mothers for all the sacrifices they have made for their children. We were also able to continue on with our flower distribution on the actual Sunday itself, at the 262 #Compassvale coffeeshop.
Our mothers make tremendous sacrifices to raise their children. They put their bodies through enormous stress, often several times. Some give up their career, or at least allow it to be derailed for a period. Many take on extra duties like being the cook, chief diaper changer, and substitute tutor. All while being there to impart their knowledge and wisdom to then next generation.
Our family celebrated with a simple tapao dinner, but in many ways, our gratitude shouldn’t just be about showing it on that day. We should love and cherish mothers every single day, for what they do.