• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus poses with colleagues and residents. :wink:

342195897_1360730141377327_7806773426010155695_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus likes Coney Dogs. :tongue:

Jamus Lim

5 d ·
My wife’s culinary tradition includes, among other things, hotdogs. Hotdogs are quintessentially associated with American culture, of course, and many cities have their own versions.
Chileans have their own take on the humble street food. It has the usual ketchup and mustard, along with diced onions. But it also includes melted cheese, as well as the piece de resistance, mashed avocado (a very Pacific Coast sort of food, which is why it is also commonly featured in the cuisines of California, Mexico, and Peru).
Growing up, I have fond memories of indulging in A&W’s Coney Dogs, which were a special treat for me (others from my generation may recall a time when pedestrian fast-food chains, like A&W and Pizza Hut, were regarded as fancy, foreign fare). As our country has developed, these foods and restaurants no longer hold the cachet they once commanded.
But that doesn’t mean that we should take our bounty at home for granted. Hawker fare here remains relatively affordable, and immensely delicious. I do think that elevated versions of our cuisine deserve greater global recognition, and there are some innovative local chefs that are making that happen. There’s no reason why Mod-Sin food cannot be mentioned in the same breath as haute French, or Japanese omakase, dining.
May be an image of mushy peas, hotdog and text

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

23 April at 07:52 ·
Over the last week, we wrapped up our house visits to 321B #Anchorvale, before getting a start on the adjacent 320D. Quite a few residents shared about the continued pressure they faced from high costs of living, an issue that I promised the #workersparty would continue to study, and offer proposals for addressing in Parliament.
We also had the opportunity to have an extended conversation with an individual who had been in a wheelchair for many years, as a result of an accident. Gilbert shared his journey—as well as challenges—of living as a person with disabilities (PWD) in a book. We also spoke about how public policy can better cater to PWDs.
Those of us who have spent some time in the United States will probably be aware of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which legislates accommodations for PWDs in both public and private spaces (if they serve the public). I recall being surprised when I first encountered the wide-ranging stipulations of the ADA. Still holding a common Singaporean mindset at the time, my initial reaction was just how wasteful the whole scheme was. After all, surely the cost-benefit tradeoff would never work out, given how few disabled folks there were, and how expensive disability adaptations were?
Over time, I’ve come to realize that there are just some things that should never reduce to dollars and cents, especially in wealthier countries that can afford it. One of the recurrent themes in Parliament this week, as MPs reacted to the President’s address, is the need to take care of the vulnerable among us, including PWDs. I’m hopeful that we will, as a country, continue to make efforts at expanding such support as much as possible, with cost considerations taking a distinct back seat. #SengkangGRC

341878515_544322194533901_4478621698504033504_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is attending a conference in San Diego. :wink:

Jamus Lim

17 h ·
I’m attending a conference in San Diego this weekend, which afforded me the opportunity to go for a run this morning in the California spring. It was wonderful—as weather in this part of the world generally is—but it also means that I won’t be in Singapore for the first Saturday of the month, which is when we hold our usual #SengkangGRC #RiverRun. Unfortunately, Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 will also be occupied that afternoon through evening, so we’ll be canceling the run for the month of May. Hopefully we’ll get to catch you guys next month! Heads up: I’ll be traveling again the first weekend next month, so we’ll be moving the run to the second Saturday of June (I’ll post a reminder closer to the date).

jw5

Loyal
Jamus thanks hardworking people. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

25 April at 07:46 ·
Our #SengkangGRC property team—which includes our conservancy and cleaning crew, maintenance staff and technicians, and officers—do much of the often thankless job of keeping the estate in a healthy condition. Every now and again, we like to show our appreciation with a small meal (as #TeamSengkang will probably be aware, I tend to feed people whom I wish to give thanks to; a trait I probably learned from my mother).
Yesterday afternoon was time for another iteration, and so we gathered folks from #Anchorvale and #Compassvale for a thank-you lunch of chicken biryani. For our Bangladeshi friends, it was also a belated way to wish them Eid Mubarak. While we didn’t have the opportunity to break bread together as a group this time, we’ll do so next round!
Note to self: despite the absence of ice on a blazingly hot day, (warm) Coke was overwhelmingly the drink of choice, as opposed to Yeo’s options. I suppose many of those who work on the ground appreciate the extra burst of sugar as a treat.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus went on a coffeeshop visit and estate walk. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 May at 12:22 ·
This weekend’s #TeamSengkang coffeeshop visit and estate walk took us to the 305-8 cluster. In addition to ensuring that things were in order in that cluster, we also received some useful feedback on estate as well as national-level concerns.
One resident shared their thoughts about the declining birthrate, and what that would imply for the aging infrastructure in #SengkangGRC, as well as elsewhere on the island. While Sengkang is (and remains) a younger estate—which would likely mean continued enrollment pressure on our childcare and primary schools (especially in #Anchorvale)—it is fair to ask how these infrastructure will be repurposed, to ensure their continued contribution to our economy and society.
My understanding, in my conversations with URA and HDB, is that these plans are active and ongoing. For instance, even though the town still skews young, there are medium-term plans to roll out a nursing home, as well as Active Aging Hubs. Of course, there remain ways on other parts of the island to repurpose underutilized infrastructure; I had previously offered suggestions on how upper and lower decks of multistory carparks can also be used for commercial purposes or additional bike parking, and instead of merging and vacating low-enrollment schools, we could pilot smaller class sizes in such schools (especially neighborhood ones that often get glossed over for such projects). The #workersparty will continue to contribute proposals for maximizing the benefits that accrue from our existing facilities.