• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus distributes coffee. :coffee:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Taking the cue from our Mother’s Day flower distribution (and fulfilling a promise I had made to an uncle last month who asked why the gents did not receive any flowers), we headed out to three coffeeshops—303 and 308 #Anchorvale, plus 263 #Compassvale—to distribute packs of coffee to #SengkangGRC fathers.
Thanks as usual to the generosity of our sponsors, and to the untiring support from #TeamSengkang, who came out bright and early on a Sunday morning (including our young vols who probably needed the sleep, but had to be satisfied with just our GenZ 0.5 selfie).

354919087_784801099968482_7758596109407557155_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus enjoyed the zongzi made by his daughter. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

7 h ·
Today is 端午节 (duanwujie), the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese lunar calendar. Traditionally, this was viewed as a day of bad luck, which led the ancient Chinese to introduce practices meant to ward off this misfortune. Dragon boat racing was one such practice.
Celebrations of the day have since become interweaved with commemorations of admirable statesmen. One origin story is that the people wished to preserve the dead body of one such official, Qu Yuan, and hence dropped sticky rice dumplings into his watery grave, so that fish would eat these instead. Hence, we would eat 粽子 (zongzi) in his memory.
My partaking this year is made more memorable by how a bunch of these were made as an exercise in my daughter’s school. I’m not generally a big consumer of dumplings—at my age, such glutinous rice bombs go right to the belly—but I must say that the knowledge of my daughter’s contribution made my zongzi especially tasty.
May be an image of 1 person, steak, tart, chocolate cake, pancake, skewer, toast and fritter

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wished his Muslim friends a Selamat Hari Raya. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

6 h ·
Eid al Adha, or Hari Raya Haji, is a commemoration of sacrifice, as well as sharing. Muslims all over the world will share their meal with three groups: their family, friends and relatives, and the poor. It is a poignant reminder of the ties that bind us to the society we live in, and why sacrifice is a part and parcel of our commitment to that society.
This morning, #TeamSengkang swung by our local #SengkangGRC mosque, Al-Mawaddah, to wish our Muslim friends a Selamat Hari Raya (we then proceeded to the home of one of our volunteers, to partake of his family’s sharing). And to all who celebrate this festival today, may you likewise have a blessed Eid.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you for a run. :cool:

Jamus Lim

12 h ·
Tomorrow is (already!) the first Saturday of the month (where did the June holidays go?), so we’ll have our usual #SengkangGRC #RiverRun. Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 has indicated that he will be joining us—after sneakily bailing out the last round by accompanying his residents to Batam—so I’m posting publicly about this as a commitment device.
1f61c.png
Do join us if you’re not doing anything Saturday evening! #TeamSengkang

357356416_790830609365531_2082925279404937225_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus had the pleasure of speaking with students at this year’s Youth Speak Forum. :geek:

Jamus Lim

20 June at 08:18 ·
Two Saturdays ago, I had the pleasure of speaking with students at this year’s Youth Speak Forum, organized by AIESEC Singapore (and conveniently hosted at ESSEC Asia-Pacific). The theme was on the Employability Future for GenZ, which strikes me as deeply appropriate in light of the rapid developments in megatrends, such as the unfolding artificial intelligence (AI) revolution. I shared my thoughts on the implications of recent advances in generative AI, and what it meant for the economy, and especially future workers’ prospects.
Although we have some signposts from our understanding of the adoption and diffusion of general purpose technologies in the past—such as steam, electricity, or ICT—the lightning speed by which AI (cum robotics) is unfolding will likely mean dramatic disruptions in a shorter time, raising concerns about adaptation.
Moreover, the implications for skilled labor are likely to be drastically different this round. Unlike earlier waves, it is not evident that workers will be able to climb the ladder of accumulating skill (can we even advise the former factory worker to just “learn to code” anymore, when ChatGPT can do the same in a matter of a few seconds and some clever prompts?) to escape displacement. Even the owners of capital—winners in the medium run—are likely to be few, raising questions of whether the time for a public fund, which would redistribute the bounty of corporate profits to a broad pool of citizen-recipients, has truly arrived.
Thanks to Alyssa Ke and her team for the invitation, and for all the penetrating questions posed by the participants!

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

9 h ·

The Workers' Party

9 h ·
In his speech on the proposed amendments to the Bretton Woods Agreements, MP Jamus Lim suggested that increased generosity in foreign aid can beget goodwill for our international relations, and suggested that the extraordinary disbursement of IMF SDRs can be directed toward that purpose for developing countries still recovering from COVID-19.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wants SG to be a global market. :wink:

Jamus Lim

9 h ·
Like many on the Interwebs, I recently had the opportunity to watch a clip of Nathania Ong singing her heart out, as Eponine in a performance of Les Misérables.
And perhaps like many Singaporeans, I was left wondering why she was doing so not at home, but in London. Sure, one could argue that West End has a cachet, an international market that simply isn’t available in Singapore.
But surely we aspire toward being a global market—one that can attract avid musical and theater lovers from across the region and the world—to our shores for such performances? While international exposure is always valuable, it seems a real loss when the scarce local talent that we have feel compelled to seek to make their mark abroad, even as we are trying to make our arts and culture programming befitting of a global city. This seems like the sort of setting tailor-made for our theaters at the Esplanade or indoor stadium at the SportsHub.
For those who haven’t already, you may see the clip of her singing “On My Own” here: https://mothership.sg/.../nathania-ong-eponine-west-end.../
May be an image of 1 person, newspaper, magazine and text that says mothership Nathania Ong is the first S'porean to play Eponine in the West End's 'Les Miserables' Her rendition of On My Own earned her a standing ovation. Hannah Martens June 26,2023, 11:50 AM

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

1 d ·

The Workers' Party

1 d ·
In his closing speech, MP Jamus Lim made a plea for Singaporeans to be able to experience greater sporting success, explained the reasons behind the rejection of two proposed amendments to the motion, and stressed how sports reflect the aspirations of our society. #sgsports #TeamSG

jw5

Loyal
Jamus sends his deepest condolences. :frown:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
We mourn the loss of two sons of Singapore today.
Lim Chong Yah, one of our nation’s most prominent economists, passed at the age of 91. He was also the father of Lee Suet Fern, and the grandfather of star Harvard economist Li Shengwu. He had led the national consensus on wages between the 1972 and 2001, and near the end of his life, had been a proponent of a mandatory minimum wage. I had a precious opportunity to chat with him last year, and had expressed my admiration for his work, which I had first encountered as a young undergraduate. Two decades on, I still assign his book on Southeast Asian economies in my courses.
Adrian Tan, who left us aged 57, was the president of the Law Society. While I do not know him on the basis of his illustrious career as a lawyer—where he distinguished himself by identifying key issues in law and equity—he was also the author of the Teenage Textbook series of coming-of-age novels, which was published in the late 1980s. The books had a profound impact on me as I wrestled with the doubt, insecurities, and fears of adolescence, which probably explained why I probably read each one more than a dozen times (him, and Judy Blume).
Death and loss are inescapable parts of life, but it doesn’t make confronting them any easier. It’s a reminder, for those of us still here, to truly cherish the limited time we have here; to love deeply, dance hard, and live with abandon. My deepest condolences to the respective families.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to go to Malacca. :smile:

Jamus Lim

3 July at 07:58 ·
Join #TeamSengkang for a short 2D1N getaway to Malacca during the upcoming September school holidays.
Discover the charm of Malacca as you explore ancient streets and admire centuries-old architecture. Immerse yourself in its fascinating history and vibrant culture. And makan Peranakan grub with us, at ground zero for the cuisine.
Don't miss out as we have limited seats! Tickets on sale at our #SengkangGRC meet-the-people locations from 3 July (Monday) for #Anchorvale and #Compassvale, and 5 July (Wednesday) for #Buangkok. Check the respective posters for more details.

356638224_792490085866250_173562390578824106_n.jpg

357790751_792490079199584_3497198342180732750_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 July at 07:05 ·
Over the past week, #TeamSengkang was able to visit (and complete!) 257A #Compassvale, as well as 314B #Anchorvale. We were also able to wrangle in a Saturday-morning stop at the 329 #Anchorvale coffeeshop, just before our estate walk around the cluster.
I was pleased to hear from many different residents that they were pleased with the overall upkeep of the estate. Of course, the town council will continue working hard to bring standards in #SengkangGRC to the next level, but it is always heartening to hear that residents do not feel that there has been any decline in maintenance, and to hear that certain long-standing bugbears have finally been resolved. For those that remain: please continue to send in those suggestions for improvement, and #TeamSengkang will do our level best to hurry those along.

357707931_793066755808583_1793911044196105225_n.jpg