• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is off to California. :wink:

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 22:56 ·
For the next couple of weeks, I’ll temporarily hand over my #SengkangGRC responsibilities to two more-than-capable ex-MPs—Messrs Png Eng Huat and Low Thia Khiang, who have generously offered their (retirement) time—as well as the ever-reliable #TeamSengkang volunteers. Both gentlemen have helped out at #Anchorvale before, and I am grateful for such able and experienced support.
On my part, I’m headed out to California for a summer fellowship, hosted at Stanford. As always, I’ll continue to be available to assist virtually, via the usual channels. I will be back in time for National Day and its related festivities, and I look forward to catching up with our residents then!

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to collect fruits and vegetables. :wink:

Jamus Lim

6 hrs ·
Tight on the heels of the launch of the fruit-veggie-bread distribution at #Anchorvale, another resident-led initiative is starting up at #Compassvale, with the same general principle: to find a home in the kitchens (and bellies!) of those who are willing to work with food that would otherwise be relegated to waste. Distributions begin this week, on July 21, and will occur every Thursday at 9:30 pm. If you’re headed down, don’t forget to bring your own reusable bags!

1658247249374.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus had a dinner dialog. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
A couple of weeks back, I had the tremendous pleasure of joining a group of passionate educators at a dinner dialog, where we shared our views on the future of the Singaporean educational system.
The group—including Ng Yi-Xian (EtonHouse International Schools and Pre-Schools), Raymond Yew (Idp Singapore), Titus Yong (National University of Singapore), Elaine Kim (Trehaus), Sharon Solomon (The Winstedt School)—drew from across the educational landscape, and the animated discussion veered from shortcomings in our early childhood education, to gaps in identifying neurodiverse thinkers and nonstandard learners, to how well we are catering to the underprivileged, to how we can foster genuine creativity and excellence in a scalable fashion.
I gained so many invaluable insights from the evening, and am immensely grateful to Lauren Tan (The Peak Singapore) for the invitation, and Reuben Mashicharan (IPG Howden) for their generous sponsorship of the event, which offered us the opportunity to share our candid views, learn from each other.

1658406392704.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to go cycling. :wink:

Jamus Lim

22 hrs ·

1658754670903.png

Sengkang GRC

Yesterday at 17:00 ·
Most of Sengkang is within 2km of the MRT and the two riverside park connectors. This presents a great opportunity for our town to get off cars and get onto bicycles, be it for commuting to the MRT or for leisure. This is already the case for many residents we've met, who have embraced the much lower costs and health benefits of cycling.
However, Sengkang does not have a high density of cycling paths to begin with, and a large proportion of cycling paths do not link well to the park connector network, having been designed years after the town, roads, and public transport infrastructure were built. As a result, compromises may have been made in their development, which limits their usefulness, especially for the last mile. This means cycling is much less convenient than it can be as a mode of transport and as a form of exercise, despite having other public benefits like promoting cleaner air, lower carbon emissions, and less noise.
The WP Sengkang team is looking at solutions we can consider proposing to and working with LTA on. Some of these include expanding the cycling path network across the town, widening cycling paths in high-traffic areas, and creating convenient places to park bicycles at key destinations like malls. So if you are a resident or transport enthusiast, we would love to hear your opinions and ideas on how we can make Sengkang a better place to cycle in.
Please fill in this detailed Google Form by 14 August. We look forward to hearing your suggestions!
tinyurI.com/sengkang-cycles
#SengkangGRC #TeamSengkang

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is concerned about inflation. :cautious:

Jamus Lim

15 hrs ·
Inflation, as understood by economists, is the rate of change in prices. When prices rise, stuff gets more expensive. This is what is happening across the world now, as well as in Singapore. But one-off price increases, while unpleasant, do not give rise to inflation. Inflation happens when price rises are persistent. Many economists, while worried about inflation, do not expect it to persist beyond this year or next. Yet even when this inflation storm passes, not everyone will be made whole. For many Singaporeans, inflation is not just an inconvenience. If salaries don’t increase to offset higher prices, the current episode will quickly morph into cost-of-living crisis.
In the meantime, we can always sit back and wait for wages to catch up to prices. But there are risks in leaving it all to the market. If everyone expects prices to keep rising, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Inflation becomes “unanchored.” There are actually tools for short-circuiting the inflation process, to keep a lid on rising costs and prices. Economists understand how some of these tools, like interest rate hikes, work (mainly by discouraging speculative investment and exuberant consumption).
In the Singapore context, our policy interest rate targets the exchange rate, so it isn’t available. But this doesn’t mean we are stuck. MAS can sell government bonds that mature far in the future, which will lower their price, and increase their yield. This trick allows us to raise interest rates somewhat.
We can also allow the Sing dollar to appreciate. Some may be aware that MAS has reported losses as a result. There are some technical reasons why I believe this isn’t necessarily a big deal, which I suspect MAS will explain in due course. But more importantly, we should recognize that even if there are losses incurred to keep inflation low for Singaporean consumers, the costs may well be worthwhile, from the perspective of national welfare.
We can also spend a little more than we have so far. The MOF fiscal package, which appropriately seeks to help out those hardest-hit by price rises, only comes up to $1.5 billion. This is actually far smaller than the increase in revenue collected in the most recent fiscal year.
Just as important: we don’t want our policies to act at cross purposes. Because raising interest rates, while needed to tame inflation, is contractionary, we want our fiscal policy to be as expansionary as possible. Think of it this way: we want to tap on the brakes and slow the economy, but we don’t want to slam on them so hard we trigger a recession. We want to pump in some gas so that the engine doesn’t stall. Needless to say, raising the GST at the end of this year would not serve this purpose. When the GST increase was debated, Finance Minister Wong said that they would remain open to macro conditions. It now seems poorly timed, and we should postpone it.
In his response to my speech, Minister of State Alvin Tan shared that the government was concerned with the cost of living, and that inflation wasn’t “a theoretical exercise” for them. That’s good to hear, not least because the challenges Singaporeans are facing are indeed very real for everyone, but what the government has done thus far to tackle the problem doesn’t seem to be sufficient for anyone. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to an art competition. :wink:

Jamus Lim

29 July at 22:53 ·
Join us for the first #SengkangGRC National Day Children's Art Competition, and express your love of your country!
Younger children (4-6 years old) will be able to join our Coloring Competition—which requires introducing colors to an outlined image—while older children (7-12 years old) may bring their own preferred art media, paper, or canvas, and put their skills to the test in our Drawing/Painting Competition. If the weather cooperates, parents may even wish to bring along a blanket or some stools and have a picnic while they wait for their kids to be done.
The results will be decided at the end of our inaugural Colors in the Park festival. The day will include live painting by profesional artists (along with the #TeamSengkang MPs as well as any residents who wish to participate!), musicians, a fitness dance, and a flea market.
Do note that because we have limited slots available, the competition will only be open to Sengkang GRC residents, although all are welcome to the festival.

1659272993203.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus sat down for an interview. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

19 hrs ·
A couple of months back, I sat down in my office for an interview with some folks at iFAST TV, to discuss my investment philosophy.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, my approach to personal investing is heavily informed by academic research on the topic. It is disarmingly simple: it’s hard to beat the professionals, so most of us shouldn’t waste our time, energy, and money trying to do so. Rather, stick to a well-diversified portfolio of assets—mostly in equities and fixed income, albeit real estate often also tends to feature prominently in our local context—and look for passive, low-cost vehicles to park your money. Keep adding to it monthly, regardless of market conditions, and only adjust your allocations to rebalance back to what your risk tolerance and expected retirement age might suggest (I’m around 80/20).
Thanks to Venice Kong and her team for their excellent direction and production, and for their patience as I fumbled my way through the session. For those interested, the episode is available here:

1659445653649.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses MAS losses. :cautious:

Jamus Lim

17 hrs ·
Recently, the MAS reported a significant loss for the most recent financial year. Furthermore, these losses have been largely attributed to “translation,” resulting from the strengthening of the Sing dollar (SGD). Now, I am on record for supporting a higher valuation of the SGD. Minister Lawrence Wong, in his response in Parliament, already explained why the losses do not impact MAS’s ability to conduct policy, and has minimal impact on the government’s budget. I think it is also worth explaining why I think these losses are largely innocuous in other ways.
There (at least) two main ways that these losses could have been realized. One is that MAS had foreign currency assets, and after these were sold (or, they were held to maturity and rolled over), they had a reduced value due to the fact that the Sing dollar had strengthened. This would probably have had to be assets in currencies other than the U.S. dollar, since the SGD didn’t strengthen all that much against the USD (we did against the pound, yen, and euro). This type of loss is hard to avoid; after all, you’d want the central bank to hold a diversified portfolio of foreign currency assets, and some losses that result from these due to currency movements is part and parcel of doing business.
The other possibility is that the losses were incurred in direct intervention to support the Sing dollar. This means that financial markets were selling SGD, and MAS went ahead to bolster the currency by buying back SGD (and selling foreign currency reserves to do so). If this was indeed true, I would be willing to issue a mea culpa: I did not expect that it would be costly, given the undervaluation of the SGD by many metrics.
Except that this does not even seem to be the case. Recently, traditional reserves have been transferred into a newly-created asset class, Reserve Management Government Securities (RMGS, and no, not an abbreviation for a new merged girls’ school); this is evident from the cash flow statement. The RMGS plays a similar role to Special Singapore Government Securities (SSGS), which is to facilite the transfer of assets to our sovereign wealth funds for better investment management. Based on MAS financial statements, reported losses likely result from this conversion, at current exchange and interest rates.
Moreover, even if we accept that the losses are truly the result of direct intervention, it is also important to recognize what this means from the perspective of national welfare. If the MAS had not intervened, then the effect of higher resulting inflation (due to the higher price of imports of goods and financial assets) would have instead been borne by the consumer or borrower. So while the MAS did lose money, it is far from clear that this was an incorrect policy choice, since the country could have benefitted as a whole, from lower inflation.
Finally, it’s useful to recognize that the losses here aren’t really full-on losses, in the traditional sense. The assets remain on the books of the MAS. Sure, there were some translation losses due to the need to mark-to-market during the conversion process, but these may potentially reverse if exchange rates subsequently move in favor of the new RMGS assets.
All these to say that I see little reason to fault the actions of MAS here, or to criticize the losses incurred. As loyal opposition, the #workersparty focuses its critique on legitimate concerns, rather than knee-jerk objections to anything the government does. #makingyourvotecount
Postscript: Incidentally, the amount of the losses, while seemingly large from the perspective of any individual, really aren’t that huge from a balance sheet (or financial markets) perspective. They amount to around 1 percent of total assets held by MAS. Such magnitudes are also not unusual; the 2021, for instance, MAS posted a net gain of $5.2 billion.