• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
A photo essay of Sengkang GRC.

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
I’m a little delayed to this, but Raphael Hugh, a talented Yale-NUS undergrad and photographer, recently compiled a photo essay of #SengkangGRC, as part of a series. Most are of neighborhoods in the East—where I grew up, and so retain a soft spot—but of course his Sengkang collection, which includes many #Anchorvale spots, is a particular delight for me these days.

May be an image of skyscraper and text

Raphael Hugh

25 June at 06:19 ·

While most people know of Sengkang for being an exciting electoral battleground during the recent 2020 General Elections, fewer know of the fascinating nautical history behind this new HDB town. 'Sengkang' means 'prosperous harbour' in Chinese as the area used to be the location of a fishing port along Sungei Serangoon. There also used to be many rubber, pepper and pineapple plantations in the area. Water and nature elements were hence intricately integrated into the planning of the urban town. Felt that this cover photo managed to accurately capture the character of this neighbourhood in a single image.
See less

jw5

Loyal
May be an image of 1 person, bicycle, outdoors and twilight

Raphael Hugh​

Jun Da and I were really fortunate that evening as the sky was burning due to the sunset! This was taken on the boardwalk connecting both ends of Sengkang Riverside Park. It's a really beautiful spot especially during the evenings and there were many residents just admiring the view and waiting for the sun to set! Really love this shot of a couple taking a selfie with the glowing sky.

jw5

Loyal
May be an image of outdoors

Raphael Hugh​

Located under the Sengkang LRT tracks, Sengkang Sculpture Park is a community icon in the neighbourhood. The most notable sculpture is probably this whale, which is also a nod to Sengkang's origins as a fishing port. Check out Sengkang Town Council's logo, the tail of this whale is actually subtly featured amidst the blue waves! I waited a good 20-30 mins and was lucky enough to capture this moment when a very energetic girl started climbing the whale sculpture.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus visits residents.

Jamus Lim

2 hrs ·
During last night’s house visits, we worked our way through around six floors of 333B #Anchorvale. While slower-going, we had many rich interactions.
Residents shared about a wide range of issues. Some were municipal matters (we were joking among ourselves that an MP is as much—and sometimes more—a “Municipal Person” as a “Member of Parliament”), some related to the transition of our cleaning contractor. Others had to do with the challenges of living beside a public facility—Sengkang Hospital—which carries costs (higher nonresident traffic in common areas, ambulance sirens in the early morning), along with benefits (no fear of trying to get to the hospital in case of a medical emergency!). Yet others were concerns about living as minorities in our multicultural society, and coping with COVID-19 as an endemic feature of our lives.
I was especially happy to see a number of multigenerational families. As one myself, while I recognize some loss of nuclear family privacy, I can attest to some big advantages: babysitting on demand, another chef on the cooking roster, and—of course—the joy of extended family. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1625835680743.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus encourages people to get vaccinated.

Jamus Lim

6 hrs ·
During my rounds this morning, I had the opportunity to swing by #Anchorvale CC, where there is an ongoing #COVID-19 vaccination drive run by Ministry of Health, Singapore. The effort was initially targeted at seniors, but takeup has, unfortunately, been slow, and they are expanding their scope to all who haven’t had their first dose. I understand that there are legitimate reasons for hesitation about being vaccinated. My own reading of the evidence is that the risks of contracting a severe case of COVID-19 far outweigh possible side effects, and I would encourage all who are able to have the shot to do so. For those who remain unconvinced, I encourage you to speak to a doctor you trust. The facility also has doctors! I connected with Dr Chang, a compassionate, professional doctor that has volunteered his time to provide expert advice on site. The drive ends on Tuesday (Jul 13), so if you’re in the area, and have yet to be vaccinated, I encourage you to consider heading down to the CC. #SengkangGRC

1625922310949.png

1625922327191.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus shares his views on inequality.

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
On Saturday afternoon, I had the enormous privilege of joining Prof Tan Ern Ser (National University of Singapore Sociology) and Suraendher Kumar (Beyond Social Services) to share our views on inequality, under the fifth iteration of their Common Space conversations series run by Illuminate SG. For my part, I shared about the importance of recognizing the distinction between inequality and poverty; recognIzing that income inequality can be understood along key dimensions such as gender, race, and educational attainment; and how policy levers could target inequality of outcomes relative to opportunities. I learned a lot, not just from the other expert panelists, but also from the many passionate participants. It always rocks my boat to see young people interested in social issues, and earnestly seeking to improve society. Thanks to Dylan for hosting, and the rest of the team for setting this up!

1626069384626.png

1626069398610.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus spoke at Endowus webinar.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says amu Jamus Lim Associate Professor ESSEC Business School BuiessSchool& Chiet Emeritus hidrod Group, Samuel Rhee Chairman& Chief Investment Officer ofEndowus EndowUsLIVE Live Webinar Can economists predict the future of financial markets? Wednesday, July 2021 7PM SGT REGISTER FOR FREE

Jamus Lim

8 July at 11:38 ·

Last night, I had the pleasure of sharing my thoughts with webinar participants at Endowus. The session was billed, “Can economists predict the future of financial markets?” Spoiler: Nope, we largely believe that financial markets are (weakly) efficient, although I can confidently affirm that they will either go up or down. We nevertheless ventured into a discussion of the evolving heterogeneous macro recovery, rising inflationary pressures, and the implications of these developments for investment choices. Thanks to Samuel Rhee for setting this up and hosting, and Chiam Sheng Shi for driving the logistics! Those interested can access the recording here:

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Jamus Lim makes rounds around Sengkang, shares about his interactions with residents

While it took a long time to visit so many households, Assoc Prof Lim said that he had numerous meaningful interactions during his visits.

1626273383681.png

Singapore — After another round of house visits in Sengkang, Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) Jamus Lim shared about several interactions and conversations he had with the residents he met.

On Thursday night, Assoc Prof Lim and a few of his colleagues went down to Block 333B which is located on Anchorvale Link and went to six different floors to speak to residents living there. While it took a long time to visit so many households, Assoc Prof Lim said that he had numerous meaningful interactions during his visits.

The residents he spoke to talked about a large range of issues. While a few residents brought up municipal issues, others had questions about the recent change in Sengkang’s cleaning contractor instead.

A few others had apprehensions regarding the difficulties of staying beside a public facility like Sengkang General Hospital. Typically challenges and disruptions they face include higher non-resident traffic in places such as common areas as well as the sound of ambulance sirens early in the morning. However, they also remarked that the location of the hospital would also prove to be beneficial in case any one of the residents had a medical emergency.

Some of the other residents Assoc Prof Lim spoke to expressed that they had their fair share of worries living as a minority in Singapore’s multicultural society while others were more concerned about coping with the pandemic and the restrictions it has brought about.

During the house visits, Assoc Prof Lim observed that there were quite a few multigenerational families. While a nuclear family setting can afford benefits such as privacy, having multiple generations come together under one roof can bring about advantages such as having more adult figures to look after young children, having more helping hands in the kitchen for cooking, and having more family members around which results in a more joyous household.

Assoc Prof Lim also recently shared some updates about the new cleaning contractor at Anchorvale and has been continually asking residents for feedback to improve the cleanliness and hygiene of the estate.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus confirms that death of 16 year old boy not linked to covid 19 vaccine.

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·
It has come to my attention that an obituary notice for a 16-year old Anchorvale student, who recently passed, is being linked to COVID-19 vaccination. Ministry of Health, Singapore has already issued a clarification on the matter. I spoke with the student’s mother earlier this week. While tragic, the individual passed for non-vaccination related reasons. The event is already traumatic and painful, and I would plead with anyone who has received this false message to refrain from sharing it, both as a gesture of respect for the privacy of the family, and as a mark of honor to the boy, who was an accomplished individual that should be remembered for different things: his filial piety, his sporting prowess, and his academic successes.

1626440536089.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus meets with young families.

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
This Thursday’s house visits allowed us to wrap up 333B #Anchorvale. We met with many young families. For them, concerns about issues related to children—whether about their education, health, or general wellbeing—tended to be paramount. As a parent of a a young daughter, I deeply connect with the desire to provide the very best for our little ones. They are, truly, such precious little packages.
It was also encouraging that many households expressed their appreciation for our continued engagement on the ground, and urged us to keep up our efforts to work for the people. Politics can sometimes be a lonely road, and it is always heartening to receive the encouragement of the ones that we serve. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1626529898056.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wishes Muslim residents Selamat Hari Raya Aidiladha.

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
Hari Raya Haji commemorates an event—common among the Abrahamic faiths—of sacrifice. Muslim families remind themselves of this principle by sharing meat they consume on this day three ways: among themselves, among friends and family, and with the poor.
We have all probably sacrificed something since January last year; some losses have been more wrenching than others. Even for those of us that do not celebrate this holiday, we can take a moment today to reflect on our fellow Singaporeans who have suffered as a result of this pandemic, and resolve to share a little of our blessings with the less fortunate among us.

1626760290043.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus comments on RVHS tragedy.

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
“No parent should have to bury their child.” Like many, I first encountered this stark statement, proffered by King Théoden, in the Lord of the Rings screenplay (the original quote is often attributed to American playwright Stephen Guirgis). The remark resonated with me, even as a young, single man. It speaks to a profound sense of how, when expectations are upended, we feel a deep, frustrating, violation in the natural order of things.
The murder of the River Valley High student has shaken our country, as it should. Every parent probably empathizes with the grief the parents of the boy feel; their hopes and dreams—vested in their son—has now been cruelly taken away from them. Even those among us who do not have children of our own would intuitively understand how this event is an immense tragedy.
Let us not rush to judgment. The accused has been charged, and will face the consequences of his actions. The fact that he has a history of mental illness is also now a matter of public record. While it can never adequately justify his actions, it speaks to the sort of mindset that the accused carried with him. My thoughts and prayers, as I’m sure those of our country, are with the families of both young men.

1626791540203.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus talks to young business owners.

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
Last Wednesday afternoon, I had the distinct pleasure of sharing with a group of youthful business owners, under the aegis of Entrepreneurs' Organization (Singapore Chapter). I shared about the likely direction of the post-pandemic Singapore economy, lessons from the rest of the world on COVID-19, and also a little about how I ended up as an economist. In addition to sharing my thoughts, I gained an understanding of the concerns of young entrepreneurs, which I believe is critical contributor to the Singaporean economy as it transitions into the 21st century. Thanks to Kuan Hsu for hosting, and to the team for setting this up (as well as the caricature, which—to my convoluted brain at least—begs comparison to Mad Magazine’s Alfred E. Neuman).

1627044256733.png

1627044270630.png