• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
The GEPers are selected based on IQ tests.

MENSA type stuff. I think MENSA is a world recognized testing system.

So can consider world class in IQ test.

They may have high IQ but low EQ. So may not be world class in terms of management ability.

jw5

Loyal
Well done to WP again.

Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威
Yesterday at 01:38
Jamus Lim Raeesah Khan and I distributed care packs to representatives of our contractors, and these comprise snacks and toiletries specially prepared by Free Food for All . Many of our migrant workers have been away from their families and children for an extended period of time...and they would have had to spend Father’s Day away from their family while in Singapore.
Thankful to our partners at FFFA for helping to bring a little cheer to our workers who work tirelessly to upkeep our estates, and of course for the great work that FFFA have been doing to address food insecurity and food waste in Singapore since 2015!

1624381000344.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus enjoying good food.

Jamus Lim

1 hr·

We first learned of the zatar-with-labneh-and-toast breakfast while living in the Middle East. We’ve since evolved our own version, replacing labneh (which isn’t easy to find here) with Greek yogurt that we strain overnight in the fridge, and topping with sliced cucumber and sundried tomatoes. It’s still possible to dust the top with dried thyme and sesame, but we usually just make do less exotically, with salt and pepper instead.

1624419050089.png

jw5

Loyal
Never heard of labneh before, so went to google it.

Labneh Is Everything Greek Yogurt Wishes It Could Be​

Move over, Greek yogurt. Step aside, cream cheese. Luscious labneh is moving in.

1624421678172.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses fatherhood with politician dads.

Jamus Lim

23 hrs·

We all wear a number of (personal and professional) hats in our lives. For me, the hat I wear most proudly and unabashedly is that of a father. I recently joined a number of other politician-dads in a video interview to discuss raising a child in modern Singapore. I was happy to discuss my own journey, and learned from the experiences shared by the others, too. Thanks to Martino and the highly professional video team at Mothership.sg for capturing the spirit of what fatherhood means to us.
1624620164816.png

worcer

Alfrescian
Loyal
HE is there to prove that singapore is not meritocracy...

Being capable like him will not have the job because singapore runs on relationship just like china

jw5

Loyal
HE is there to prove that singapore is not meritocracy...

Being capable like him will not have the job because singapore runs on relationship just like china

He is there to prove that not all the talented people in SG join PAP, as claimed by PAP.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus talks to residents on his walks.

Jamus Lim

1 hr·

Although most of our estate walks through the Phase 2(HA) period have been quiet, solitary affairs—our goal mainly to ensure that maintenance and upkeep matters are being adequately addressed—we do occasionally bump into residents, with whom we engage in (socially-distanced) conversation, and obtain important feedback.
The transition for the #Anchorvale cleaning contractor is now nearly a month old. While there have been elements where we remain dissatisfied with regard to quality (and being fully cognizant of the challenges faced in operating without a full complement of foreign workers), we believe that, in most cases, the team is steadily getting better, and conditions have improved significantly. We continue to monitor closely, offer points of feedback for improvement, and hold the crew to account, where necessary. Our residents expect no less. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1624806929892.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus starts visiting residents again.

Jamus Lim

6 hrs·

This week, we relaunched house visits, albeit on a much-reduced scale (just two other volunteers, along with myself). We wrapped up 356A #Anchorvale, which we were halfway through when Phase 2(HA) restrictions kicked in.
We spoke with many residents who were happy to see us back on the beat (like Sakthi and his family, pictured here). But I was struck most by the situation faced by the residents of the last unit we visited. The household of six (four kids—they are surely contributing to raising our nation’s dismal total fertility rate) had been repeatedly rejected from government financial support. The reason is that they live in a four-room flat; the assessed value of their unit would thus disqualify the family from virtually all assistance schemes. Mind you, this was a family whose combined income amounted to a total of $1,600, which had to support not just the couple, but their four young children.
I understand, of course, that this family’s situation is nowhere near as desperate as those of other families I’ve encountered (we had one at our virtual meet-the-people session this week, where 12 were crammed into a two-room rental flat). But I do not believe that a family that desires to go two-to-a-room, separating the boys from the girls, is living in the lap of luxury.

More generally, this case strikes me as one of the shortcomings of our all-or-nothing criteria for accessing our social safety net: earn a dollar more than $650 per capita, and you don’t quality for a cent of social services support; live in a flat worth more than $21,000 annual value, and you don’t get a single GST voucher.

Sometimes, hard lines are necessary. But do we truly believe that a family living on $1,900 a month is all that different from one living on $1,901? While such thresholds make for an easy checklist for qualification criteria, they hardly do justice to the vagaries of the real world, where an unexpected illness can easily throw off expenses for a family living from hand to mouth. This “cliff effect” is well-known, but by the same token, there are also a number of mitigation mechanisms.

After all, we seem to appreciate the value of graduated thresholds in a host of other areas of public policy. We recognize marginal tax rates by income bracket, and HLE loan amounts vary according to one’s CPF and cash savings. Students who just fail to qualify for the top secondary school nevertheless gain admittance to the second or third best ones. We already accommodate such gradual support education in workfare; it strikes me as reasonable to evaluate similar mechanisms for our other social support schemes. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1625207754962.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus recalls his youth on Youth Day.

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
George Bernard Shaw is typically attributed with the quote that “youth is wasted on the young.” While I do not agree with the statement, I understand in part where he was coming from. There is an idealism that accompanies being young, and remaining innocent of the myriad challenges that could lie in the way of our aspirations. This imbues the youth with a certain can-do spirit, which they may not fully appreciate. What inhibits them, then, is often the resources to succeed in realizing their dreams. Alas, by the time they finally acquire such resources, they often become grizzled, and lacking in the sort of youthful ambition.
Unlike some of my #SengkangGRC colleagues, I am no longer a youth—defined in Singapore as between 15 and 35 years of age—but I believe that we all need a dose of the impossible every now and then in life. Looking back at the time I was 25–smack in the middle of this age band—I was definitely more gung-ho about just going out there and doing it (whether it was ploughing through problem sets dense with questions on dynamic optimization in continuous time, or finishing way too many bottles of beer and wine). This Youth Day, I wish that every one of us will seek to recapture a bit of this can-do attitude, and go ahead with pursuing a long-held dream, come what may.

1625376837667.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is relieved that the NTUC Foodfare Cluster at Anchorvale is now closed.

Jamus Lim

2 hrs ·
It seems hard to believe that a full four weeks have since passed since the NTUC Foodfare cluster at 308 #Anchorvale broke out, but I was both happy and relieved to hear that MOH has now decided to close the cluster.
It was a harrowing period for all of us who live, work, or play in Anchorvale. The town council immediately flagged the various blocks in the 308 precinct for a rigorous disinfection protocol, including the heightened application of antimicrobial coating on high-touch points there. We also monitored and reported large group gatherings, worked to educate potentially exposed residents on testing options, and sought to maintain the high standards for hygiene and cleanliness overall (although that last effort was, admittedly, complicated by the transition of our cleaning contractor). We will certainly continue to work hard at keeping our residents safe and healthy, even as the nation gradually evolves toward managing COVID-19 as an endemic feature in our lives. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1625404446136.png

1625404466908.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus analyses the concept of imposter syndrome.

5 hrs ·
In an achievement- and certification-oriented society and culture such as Singapore, it is easy to either get excessively caught up in the paper chase—or even after attaining these qualifications—to feel inadequate for the jobs we are assigned to do (or aspire toward). This phenomenon, known as imposter syndrome in the psychology, touches on the deep-seated insecurity that just about every one of us feel because we are, after all, imperfect.
In professional life, we often see and compare ourselves to changemakers and CEOs, many who have accomplished incredible things, perhaps even at very young ages. In the academic world, such feelings could be even harder to contain. Publications are the currency of academia, and CVs chock-full of papers and awards only list successes, glossing over the setbacks that took to get to those successes (papers sent to journals get rejected alot). In the political realm, admitting mistakes or shortcomings may be perceived as a sign of failure or weakness, as partisans seize on inevitable errors to make political hay.
The truth is, nobody is ever fully prepared to do the job the first time they do it (and there is always a first time). And even for those of us with some experience under our belt, there is always more to learn, because it is impossible to know everything there is about a role. Such humility in the face of challenges is important, of course; it keeps us grounded and open to new ideas and perspectives. But it’s a fine dance, because if we don’t find confidence in our our abilities, we freeze in the face of the enormity of the task ahead. We shoot ourselves in the foot, before we’ve even begun.
I cannot speak for others, but my approach has always been that if you are selected for a job, then you’ve what it takes to succeed in it. Just dive in, do the very best you can, and let the cards fall where they may. If you can look back on any experience and honestly say to yourself that you did all that you could within the constraints you faced, then regardless of the outcome, your conscience is clear, and you should be proud of whatever the result may be. #ourimposterstories https://www.linkedin.com/company/imposter-stories
Postscript: the tam o’shanter is part of the academic regalia conferred to those who have been awarded the doctoral degree. But as anyone who has worn one will share, the PhD is only the beginning, not the end, of one’s academic journey. Admittedly, one prosaic motivation behind me wanting a PhD to begin with was because I thought the poofy hat was cool.

1625552685797.png