• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
This gentleman is an outstanding candidate, now elected as MP

He is also speaking up on issues and visiting residents regularly. :thumbsup:

1617889010609.png

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Jamus Lim explains why he takes on ideas and positions that may seem controversial or unusual

1618066929132.png

Singapore — “if there are social inequities, we should strive to correct these so that we bring the most benefit to the least advantaged, since we are only as strong as our weakest member,” says Workers’ Party (WP) MP Jamus Lim.

The MP for Sengkang GRC (Anchorvale) shared a photo of his daughter on social media on Sunday (Apr 4) and wrote: “As I watch our little one play, I am also reminded of the future that lays (sic) before her. Without really knowing what her gifts or challenges may be, what kind of world would I want for her, after she grows up?”

Mr Lim, an associate professor of economics at ESSEC Business School, asked what principles we would favour as a society if we did not know how we would end up.

“Think about it: what policies would we want for our children, if we had no prior knowledge of their ethnicity, socioeconomic standing, gender, or any other dimension,” he wrote.

He explained that, to him, this meant allocating resources or striving to correct social inequities to benefit the least advantaged.

“This basic principle guides virtually all the policies that I espouse for the #workersparty, and goes a long way toward explaining why I may take on ideas and positions that may seem controversial or unusual at first glance,” Assoc Prof Lim wrote.

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Jamus Lim cites experience as a struggling PhD student in the US to urge SG to give more generously

1618150713841.png

Singapore—In Parliament on Monday (Apr 5), the Workers’ Party’s Dr Jamus Lim (Sengkang GRC) voiced his support for grants that would go to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in the aid of vulnerable countries.

Dr Lim, an associate professor of economics, said that Singapore can and should give more, given its history as a “major beneficiary” of globalisation as well as a staunch advocate of it.

The Sengkang MP also noted the country’s “legacy of ambivalence” on the subject of raising contributions to the IMF and the World Bank, adding that Singapore has neither a national foreign aid development agency nor a firm plan to further expand its representation in global organisations.

He acknowledged that “charity begins at home” and that Singapore must take care of Singaporeans’ needs first.

But Dr Lim added that, during times of crisis, global generosity may pay off in the long term as well as raise the country’s soft power and ability to influence the global agenda.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Apr 6), Dr Lim wrote on the topic again, this time using a personal experience to prove his point.

He recounted that when he was in the US as a PhD student, he received no financial assistance and his savings dwindled quickly.

However, the family he lived with had been very generous, especially with meals, and he was even invited to spend holidays with them.

“Perhaps the most memorable (but simple) gift I received from them was a cash booklet for McDonald’s, for Christmas. It cost all of 30 bucks. But with that $30, as my American Dad would like to say, he received a lifetime of gratitude and goodwill,” he wrote.
He compared this with Singapore’s situation, taking issue with what he considered an “unwillingness to expand our international footprint”, which he says comes at a cost.

Helping out neighbouring countries is a win-win situation, he added, as that would enable them to buy more exports from Singapore. “And richer countries buy higher-value goods, which we are more likely to produce. So we do well when they do well.”

He also called generosity towards other nations a “moral imperative”.

“As citizens of a global village, reciprocity and altruism should be part of our moral fibre. We are taught from a young age to share, and this should extend to foreign relations because there is value in being good neighbours,” said Dr Lim, expressing the hope that one day Singapore’s foreign aid efforts can be institutionalised.

And while today he can afford above and beyond McDonald’s dinners in the US, he has not forgotten this vital early lesson.

“I’m in a better financial position these days, and so when we visit the States, I usually pay for our dinners. Nobody’s really counting, but that $30 has probably paid for itself many times over. That’s the power of generosity.”

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

Jamus Lim helped raise younger sister after their father’s death

Singapore—Dr Jamus Lim’s younger sister shared a touching post about her brother on National Sibling’s Day (Apr 10).

a group of people posing for the camera

Because the Workers’ Party MP (Sengkang GRC) is still a relative newcomer to the political arena, little is known about his personal life and background.

Since his introduction as a potential WP MP candidate a few months before last year’s general election, Singaporeans have learned that he is an associate professor of Economics at ESSEC Business School, he’s married and has a young daughter, did his PhD studies in the United States, loves panettone and ayam buah keluak, and is equally assured using expressions such as “warms the cockles of my heart” as he is raising difficult topics in Parliament such as the minimum wage and expunging the records of non-violent offenders.

But many netizens learned something new over the weekend, because of a post from Ms Jerraine Lim, the MP’s sister, who is seven years younger than him.

On April 10, she posted a touching photo on Facebook of the two of them in their younger years, writing, “happy national siblings day to Jamus Lim ! thanks for always being my walking dictionary & the naggy fatherly figure in my life!”

Dr Lim shared her post, and gave the public a little peek into the nature of their relationship.

“My sister informs me that today is National Siblings Day. Seven years separate us, and as the elder, I’ve often indulged her while growing up.”

However, the younger Lim sibling “had to grow up quickly after Dad passed”.

It was this event that caused Dr Lim to “take on the role of a father figure”.

And today, the dynamic between the siblings has changed, and Dr Lim says he is “very proud of what my sister does today”.

He added, “She has developed into an amazing professional, and excels in an area—marketing and sales—that is completely beyond my own skill set. Indeed, these days, I’m far more likely to be listening to her advice, rather than the other way round.”
Last year, just before the elections, in a WP video, he talked about the lessons he learned from his father, and how his father’s funeral taught him to treat people equally.

Calling it one of the most significant lessons in his life, the WP MP said, “He always taught me the importance of treating everyone the same. So, during his funeral, it wasn’t just his friends and family that were there.

“But among the group was the janitor for the building. My dad did not make a distinction between the fact that he was the janitor or he was just one of his other friends.”

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

Jamus Lim helped raise younger sister after their father’s death

Singapore—Dr Jamus Lim’s younger sister shared a touching post about her brother on National Sibling’s Day (Apr 10).

a group of people posing for the camera

Because the Workers’ Party MP (Sengkang GRC) is still a relative newcomer to the political arena, little is known about his personal life and background.

Since his introduction as a potential WP MP candidate a few months before last year’s general election, Singaporeans have learned that he is an associate professor of Economics at ESSEC Business School, he’s married and has a young daughter, did his PhD studies in the United States, loves panettone and ayam buah keluak, and is equally assured using expressions such as “warms the cockles of my heart” as he is raising difficult topics in Parliament such as the minimum wage and expunging the records of non-violent offenders.

But many netizens learned something new over the weekend, because of a post from Ms Jerraine Lim, the MP’s sister, who is seven years younger than him.

Dr Lim shared her post, and gave the public a little peek into the nature of their relationship.

“My sister informs me that today is National Siblings Day. Seven years separate us, and as the elder, I’ve often indulged her while growing up.”

However, the younger Lim sibling “had to grow up quickly after Dad passed”.

It was this event that caused Dr Lim to “take on the role of a father figure”.

And today, the dynamic between the siblings has changed, and Dr Lim says he is “very proud of what my sister does today”.

He added, “She has developed into an amazing professional, and excels in an area—marketing and sales—that is completely beyond my own skill set. Indeed, these days, I’m far more likely to be listening to her advice, rather than the other way round.”
Last year, just before the elections, in a WP video, he talked about the lessons he learned from his father, and how his father’s funeral taught him to treat people equally.

Calling it one of the most significant lessons in his life, the WP MP said, “He always taught me the importance of treating everyone the same. So, during his funeral, it wasn’t just his friends and family that were there.

“But among the group was the janitor for the building. My dad did not make a distinction between the fact that he was the janitor or he was just one of his other friends.”

Jamus sounds like a very god brother. :thumbsup: