• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek Review Risks Shutting Down!

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
To Alex is still ok, we saw his face before, but those tua kang people in TR, tell them to show their face on the website lah, LOL

Alex Tan asked the public to donate money for his election campaign then said he is quitting politics to concentrate on his career..anyway its kojakbt's money lah up to him to spend:biggrin:

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm really unsure about TR. Till to-date, nobody knows who is behind it.

They are critical to anything about PAP to a point that they are biased in their articles (This is a great way to generate readership).

They constantly ask for donations (which they do not declare the amount they collected, no transparency)

Their host in China has a bad reputation and some even say they are cheats (knowing PRC, they are like nigerian when it comes to scam).

All these points to a potiental scam which the victims are unable to know or locate the perpetrators even when cheated.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their host in China has a bad reputation and some even say they are cheats (knowing PRC, they are like nigerian when it comes to scam).

For the type of site they are running, China is the perfect place to host.

Singapore does not have good intelligence relations with China. This is mainly due to our relations with Taiwan and our geopolitical positioning with the US. Given the tensions China has with the US, there is the natural expectation that whatever Sg intel learns will be passed on to the US. It was not too long ago that China arrested a Sg editor on charges of spying.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lol I don't understand why anyone would want to donate to that crap filled site. They once even publish an article from a "10 yr old" who was worried about the FT problem. Not forgetting they were the first to jump onto the other idiotic blog's claims about LKY kicking the bucket and coming out in celebration and full support. Best part is they claim they are

The Temasek Review is an internet newspaper which aims to provide an independent, balanced and unbiased coverage on socio-political affairs in Singapore.

lol!!! They are so blatantly anti PAP that only idiots cant see it. Seriously pple should stop reading it, its nothing more then a flame fest site. I get better and funnier articles against the government in here then at TR. Personally I prefer TOC a lot more then TR, less flame more analysis and questioning of policy.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's ridiculous to start a website without even being able to pay a measly $1300 smackos for a basic upgrade.:rolleyes:

I sank more than USD30,000 into my site before I started seeing any return on investment.

Are u sure? All along, i thought you hosted this website under a US$4.99/mth hosting plan. :p

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really nec ... the appeal for donations is just a PR exercise.
TR has a very big money backer who is in exile. They are building not so much for this election but for 2017.

Isnt it all a little to expensive??

It would seem that to run a free blog, the cost wouldnt be so much as to warrant the need for funds, especially from a big money backer.

Last edited:

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can any bros here enlighten me why they needed US$1300 to upgrade to a better server.

There are so many hosting companies around, even top of the range dedicated hosting is only a few hundred dollars a month, don't tell me they can't even generate a few hundred dollars a month from advertisements.

Please enlighten me, thanks!

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can any bros here enlighten me why they needed US$1300 to upgrade to a better server.
http://tinyurI.com/2e4ggo2
There are so many hosting companies around, even top of the range dedicated hosting is only a few hundred dollars a month, don't tell me they can't even generate a few hundred dollars a month from advertisements.

Please enlighten me, thanks!

Thats what I dont understand too. More hits means more ad revenue right?

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what I dont understand too. More hits means more ad revenue right?

These 'righteous' Singaporean want more money, whats is the harm for them to ask for more money, they just need to sit and type a few words on the website. They will still be gong kia donate to them..lucky they were not as skillful as kong hee:biggrin:

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is only fair if they list down the breakdown of payment for their server if they want people to donate. The price that they pay for the services so that we know if it is overpriced or not. They always ask for transparency then they should walk the talk too.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is only fair if they list down the breakdown of payment for their server if they want people to donate. The price that they pay for the services so that we know if it is overpriced or not. They always ask for transparency then they should walk the talk too.

They dun even dare to reveal their names, you think they can walk the talk? :rolleyes:

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's ridiculous to start a website without even being able to pay a measly $1300 smackos for a basic upgrade.:rolleyes:

I sank more than USD30,000 into my site before I started seeing any return on investment.

Hi Sam, to be honest, i find it unbelievable that you spent more than US$30000 on sammyboy.com.

Your website is just a normal bulletin board that would not need more than a few thousands to start and operate, how on earth did you spend more than US$30K, care to elaborate?

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi Sam, to be honest, i find it unbelievable that you spent more than US$30000 on sammyboy.com.

Your website is just a normal bulletin board that would not need more than a few thousands to start and operate, how on earth did you spend more than US$30K, care to elaborate?

Things are a lot cheaper now due to economies of scale and intense competition. Back in 2001, it was a whole different ball game. I used to pay $2 per gig of bandwidth and my site consumed bandwidth at the rate of 1000 gigs per month. That's USD24,000 per annum on bandwidth alone.

Vbulletin leased licenses cost USD180 per year and I needed 4 licenses ie one for each server.

Technical service fees for customised pearl scripts would typically be charged at USD80 to USD150 per hour. I didn't have a clue how to program this sort of stuff when I first started. I had to subcontract it out to those who did it for a living. It all added up to big bucks.

Come to think of it, USD30,000 is too low... could be more like USD40,000.