• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkaporeans are Selfish, Stupid and Short-Sighted (NS-related topic)

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mojito said:
No lar bro, the point he was trying to make was that his son was still liable for NS even after the family emigrated because he emigrate after the 'cut-off date' for NS liability. I think it is a question of whether the rule is fair, but he then slams the institution of NS as an evil of epic proportions using the Patrick Tan case.

Agree with your stance about people who refuse to honour their citizenship obligations. Like the chao keng who refuse to do area cleaning. We won't miss people like Patrick Tan, we have no need for free riders.

However SG citizenship is worse than worthless - it is a heavy price to pay and I believe this view is shared by many local men.

I too agree that NS is too long for what we do inside NS but these people are talking of quitting instead of staying on to change the system and use their votes.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally twisted logic. In one brush you have condemned all NS Singaporean to stupidity, possibly including yourself. How stupid can you be? If CSM's intelligence was not there in the first place and retained after NS, do you think he could have gotten into Harvard, Stanford and Oxford?

You twit! You are the one who has a problem with logic. When did I imply that all NS men are stupid? I said NS lowers your intelligence. A person who has an original IQ of 150 but suffers a loss of 10 IQ points later on, cannot be considered as stupid. A man with an IQ of 140 is still highly intelligent! Being less intelligent does not equate to being stupid.

CSM, who is gifted with a high IQ, would still have gotten into such prestigious universities in spite of a temporary loss of a few IQ points.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Shame on you actually.

Shame for what? For migrating? For applauding a guy who has the guts and dares to follow his dream and his heart?
Everyone who has thoughts of migrating should be ashamed? After my family including myself served 3 generations of
NS and paying the dues? I definitely do not feel any shame. Shame on those sitting in the ivory towers who are doing
nothing for anyone except themselves.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too agree that NS is too long for what we do inside NS but these people are talking of quitting instead of staying on to change the system and use their votes.

The politicians are taking it easy. So no choice best thing as a citizen is to raise awareness of how it is hurting employment prospects, which I think is the latest gripe given the labour situation in SG. Personally I think the solution is likely to include a shorter cycle, a rationalization exercise for non-combat and functionally 'crippled' (aka 'pai ka') soldiers, and diversion of more tax money into full-time military wages. It would take alot more imagination and guts to do the necessary.

[Added] Unless government decides direct labour intervention is a better solution.

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shame for what? For migrating? For applauding a guy who has the guts and dares to follow his dream and his heart?
Everyone who has thoughts of migrating should be ashamed? After my family including myself served 3 generations of
NS and paying the dues? I definitely do not feel any shame. Shame on those sitting in the ivory towers who are doing
nothing for anyone except themselves.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, it is the expats who do not drive cars and even if they do, they drive only modest size cars. Most expats consider cars here too expensive and not worth owning it even though they could be earning twice the salary of locals. They save their money instead and indulge themselves in expensive dinners and antique wines which to them are within the prices that they know. If there are any foreigners (to differentiate those who own their own business or whose parents own the business from those who are just employees of large MNCs) who drive large or exotic cars, they are mainly from Asia, possibly Indonesian or Malaysian. You don't think the majority of these are owned by locals?

I have only worked for american companies because they pay better :smile: So my experience is limited to US companies.

The expats I am familiar with are enjoying many perks provided by the company. Housing in the Orchard Rd area, company provided cars, schooling for their children,... Some pay for a chauffers instead of driving themselves. Others chose to drive themselves. The expat pay package easily totals $200,000 plus/year.

Even if you are not on an expat terms, those working at the management level easily make $10,000+/month. This amount does not include profit sharing, share options, etc which varies from year to year. In a good year some have bought a few condos in Bangkok :eek: Some even receive car allowances e.g. mileage which brings the cost of owning a car affordable.

Last edited:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

When you take away all self-interests, there are only two reasons why people would want to try to change the country for the better.

1) Pride (whether it is pride of the country's achievements, cultural heritage or historical significance)
2) Sense of belonging (you feel a connection or affinity with the country's inhabitants that can't be replicated elsewhere)

Most SGreans I know are not strongly imbued with (2) and there is now hardly any trace of (1) left in any SGreans.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have only worked for american companies because they pay better :smile: So my experience is limited to US companies.

According to Professor JW5 of Ramsethology, you must be a Ramseth clone. Only Ramseth or Ramseth clones work in US companies. :biggrin: