• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rubbish

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teochew Traditional Steamboat: Superb Steamboat! - ieatishootipost
Teochew Traditional Steamboat: Superb Steamboat!
Posted on: April 15, 2021
Steamboat

What makes this a “Teochew” Steamboat? When I was growing up, I don’t remember ever referring to steamboat as “Teochew” or “Cantonese” or “Hainanese”. Steamboat, or as we say in Teochew “juang lou” literally means “anything pot” which really is what a Chinese steamboat is all about — you start with a pot ofchicken stock and you put in anything you like! So, I guess a Teochew steamboat is anything that a Teochew would put into the pot!
Pastes

That isjust how Teochew Traditional Steamboat got its name Simply because the owner, Mr Leslie Ang happens to be Teochew and these are the types of ingredients that he likes to put into his steamboat!
Although the restaurant has been around for 16 years, I’ve only heard about it quite recently from a reliable source. What makes this steamboat stand out for me are their house-made fishballs as well as their meat and seafood pastes. They use only fresh yellowtail fish for their fishballs and they are still made by hand and the quality is very good. The same can be said of their prawn paste and sotong paste.
For the soup base, you have a choice of their collagen rich shark bone, chicken and pork soup which costs $10 or $15 per service depending on the number of pax or you can opt for their fish or prawn porridge. We didn’t manage to try the porridge but the soup base was very good. It has that silky smooth collagen texture which is very popular nowadays and the flavour is robust and flavourful 4.5/5
table

Everything tastes really fresh as their owner makes it a point to procure all their seafood directly from Jurong Fishery port. That should come as no surprise from any place which wants to market themselves as a bone fide “Teochew” restaurant!In fact, they are so confident with their food that they boldly state on their order chit that if the food is no good, you don’t have to pay for it!
Chicken

They also have some cooked dishes which you can order on the side. We noticed that most of the other tables had a plate of steamed chicken and so we were glad to have followed the crowd. The owner told us that he so enjoyed the dish while he was in Chaoshan that bought the recipe from the chef and now imports the special spice mix directly from Chaoshan to make the dish here You won’t regret ordering this!4.5/5
Orh Nee

For dessert we had their yam paste which hadan interesting twist as they added dried orange to it I was a little disappointed that they also provided some coconut cream at the side which should not be added to a traditional Teochew yam pasteHowever, it was good that it was provided as an option.The orange flavour was nice but I still prefer the more traditional version with fried shallots. 4/5
Restaurant

Conclusion
Excellent place for a steamboat hotpot meal. The housemade fishballs, meat and seafood pastes are outstanding and their ingredients are fresh!
Teochew Traditional Seafood Steamboat
Address:
176 Joo Chiat Rd, , Singapore 427447
View Map
Opening hours:
Lunch: 12:00PM to 2:30PM
Dinner: 5:00PM to 11:00PM
+6563488924

Other info:
Visit Website

jw5

Loyal
Where To Dabao The Best Hokkien Mee

Original Serangoon Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee
Hokkien mee

The original creator of Serangoon Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee was considered a legend in the field for his mouthwatering, wok charred plates of noodles. Before his retirement, he handed his skills over to his son and a friend, and his friend is now the only one helming his recipe for generations of diners to come.

Here, the dish is served with an aromatic Opeh leaf, which brings a subdued, woody fragrance that is slowly released as you dig into the warm noodles.

Original Serangoon Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee, 566 Serangoon Rd, Singapore 218181

waitifcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Original Serangoon Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee

Original Serangoon Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee, 566 Serangoon Rd, Singapore 218181

KLN

Yes this HPM is good.
Tried before.
But area too way out and limited parking,
so have not gone there long time.

Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal

Nam Sing Hokkien Mee
Hokkien mee

Old Airport Road is home to stall after stall of delectable treats for both locals and travellers alike, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there’s one for Hokkien Mee as well. Nam Sing Hokkien Mee has been operating since 1963, serving up steamy plates of noodles day after day.

Despite the usual sambal chilli that’s served with the dish, the owners of Nam Sing have insisted on using fresh-cut chilli to pair their plate with. Each noodle is beautifully glazed with the rich prawn and meat stock its been stir-fried with and lightly perfumed with a subtle smoky flavour from the wok hei.

Nam Sing Hokkien Mee, 51 Old Airport Rd, #01-32, Singapore 390051

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
@jw5
do u like vadai?
this one is good
no chow yiu smell...had it the other day...shiok!

The Original Vadai – Crispy Prawns and Ikan Bilis on Fluffy Fitters
Last updated on April 1st, 2021
The-Original-Vadai-05-1300x866.jpg
When you think of vadai, you might think of the few popular stalls that are always present at the pasar malams (night markets). Although pasar malams are just a distant memory now, it doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy this savoury snack anymore!

The Original Vadai has always been one of the popular stalls at pasar malams. Thankfully, Mr Suriyah, the second-generation owner, found a few permanent spaces to keep on selling their tasty vadai along with other sinful deep-fried snacks like Chicken Gizzard ($2).

The Original Vadai-01

The Original Vadai-03

It’s hard to miss the brightly-lit signboard and the long queue stemming from the stall. They are the first and only vadai shop in Singapore to be Halal-Certified(Golden Mile Food Centre and Joo Chiat outlets only)!

The Original Vadai-02

If you’re unsure of what to get, be sure to check out their Instagram page for some mouthwatering images and recommendations. I got the signature Prawn Vadai ($1/pc), Ikan Bilis Vadai ($1/pc) and Dhal Vadai (3pcs for $2.50). I wanted to try the Chocolate Vadai ($4.50/serving) as well, but unfortunately, it was out of stock that day.

The Original Vadai-16

First up, the signature prawn vadai. The prawn that was “stuck” onto the vadai was actually quite huge. The prawn was surprisingly still juicy and fresh even though it was being deep-fried with the dough.

The Original Vadai-07

As someone who hates deshelling prawns, I was really happy to finally be able to eat the whole crustacean without having to worry about deshelling. I love how the shells added a crunch to the texture of the fritter that was pillowy soft. The dough had a chewy texture and it could very well pass off as a savoury doughnut.

The Original Vadai-08

I didn’t expect the ikan bilis to stick around on the vadai, but it did, and the vadai just tasted so delightful! The other pleasantly surprising thing about this was the fact that the ikan bilis was still crisp and crunchy even after I brought it back to the office!
https://www.misstamchiak.com/ming-fa-duck-rice/
The Original Vadai-09

The ikan bilis had a distinctive fragrance that was accentuated by the dough. I enjoyed the hint of sweetness in the aftertaste. It was a genius pairing in my opinion. Who knew that ikan bilis would taste this good with fried dough!

The Original Vadai-17

Dhal (or Dal) are dried and halved bean-looking things that look like lentils. This version of vadai is possibly an acquired taste because of the sheer number of spices that goes into it.

The Original Vadai-14

The Original Vadai-11

The Original Vadai’s rendition is rather dry inside. It had a grainy texture, with bits and pieces of Dal lending a crunch. I felt like I was eating a huge bean that was soaked in spices before being deep-fried. If you enjoy masala-anything, this vadai would be a must-try for you! All vadai from The Original Vadai comes with a few fresh green chilli padis, so be sure to have it with your vadai too!

The Original Vadai-18

In conclusion, these fried fritters are absolutely mouthwatering and I think that it’s quite an underrated snack in Singapore. I hope that more locals would try this and expand their knowledge of savoury snacks!

The Original Vadai

Address:

Golden Mile Food Centre #B1-32 (Halal Certified) 11am to 7pm daily, closed on Monday.

82 Joo Chiat Road (Halal Certified), 12pm to 7pm daily

Amoy Street Food Centre 8am to 4pm Weekdays only, closed on Sat & Sun

Mobile: 8588 4181
Email Address: [email protected]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheOriginalVadai/

Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal
@jw5
do u like vadai?
this one is good
no chow yiu smell...had it the other day...shiok!

The Original Vadai – Crispy Prawns and Ikan Bilis on Fluffy Fitters
Last updated on April 1st, 2021
The-Original-Vadai-05-1300x866.jpg
When you think of vadai, you might think of the few popular stalls that are always present at the pasar malams (night markets). Although pasar malams are just a distant memory now, it doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy this savoury snack anymore!

The Original Vadai has always been one of the popular stalls at pasar malams. Thankfully, Mr Suriyah, the second-generation owner, found a few permanent spaces to keep on selling their tasty vadai along with other sinful deep-fried snacks like Chicken Gizzard ($2).

The Original Vadai-01

The Original Vadai-03

It’s hard to miss the brightly-lit signboard and the long queue stemming from the stall. They are the first and only vadai shop in Singapore to be Halal-Certified(Golden Mile Food Centre and Joo Chiat outlets only)!

The Original Vadai-02

If you’re unsure of what to get, be sure to check out their Instagram page for some mouthwatering images and recommendations. I got the signature Prawn Vadai ($1/pc), Ikan Bilis Vadai ($1/pc) and Dhal Vadai (3pcs for $2.50). I wanted to try the Chocolate Vadai ($4.50/serving) as well, but unfortunately, it was out of stock that day.

The Original Vadai-16

First up, the signature prawn vadai. The prawn that was “stuck” onto the vadai was actually quite huge. The prawn was surprisingly still juicy and fresh even though it was being deep-fried with the dough.

The Original Vadai-07

As someone who hates deshelling prawns, I was really happy to finally be able to eat the whole crustacean without having to worry about deshelling. I love how the shells added a crunch to the texture of the fritter that was pillowy soft. The dough had a chewy texture and it could very well pass off as a savoury doughnut.

The Original Vadai-08

I didn’t expect the ikan bilis to stick around on the vadai, but it did, and the vadai just tasted so delightful! The other pleasantly surprising thing about this was the fact that the ikan bilis was still crisp and crunchy even after I brought it back to the office!
https://www.misstamchiak.com/ming-fa-duck-rice/
The Original Vadai-09

The ikan bilis had a distinctive fragrance that was accentuated by the dough. I enjoyed the hint of sweetness in the aftertaste. It was a genius pairing in my opinion. Who knew that ikan bilis would taste this good with fried dough!

The Original Vadai-17

Dhal (or Dal) are dried and halved bean-looking things that look like lentils. This version of vadai is possibly an acquired taste because of the sheer number of spices that goes into it.

The Original Vadai-14

The Original Vadai-11

The Original Vadai’s rendition is rather dry inside. It had a grainy texture, with bits and pieces of Dal lending a crunch. I felt like I was eating a huge bean that was soaked in spices before being deep-fried. If you enjoy masala-anything, this vadai would be a must-try for you! All vadai from The Original Vadai comes with a few fresh green chilli padis, so be sure to have it with your vadai too!

The Original Vadai-18

In conclusion, these fried fritters are absolutely mouthwatering and I think that it’s quite an underrated snack in Singapore. I hope that more locals would try this and expand their knowledge of savoury snacks!

The Original Vadai

Address:

Golden Mile Food Centre #B1-32 (Halal Certified) 11am to 7pm daily, closed on Monday.

82 Joo Chiat Road (Halal Certified), 12pm to 7pm daily

Amoy Street Food Centre 8am to 4pm Weekdays only, closed on Sat & Sun

Mobile: 8588 4181
Email Address: [email protected]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheOriginalVadai/

Vadai must have LOTS of green chilli, then shiok. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

Xiao Di Fried Prawn Noodle
Xiao Di Fried Prawn Noodle

If you love your noodles generously wet and gooey, you’ll find yourself right at home with the offerings from Xiao Di Fried Prawn Noodle. With every scoop (yes, a spoon is absolutely necessary here) comes noodles drenched in the rich prawn stock and beautifully accessorised with oodles of stir-fried egg bits, pork and seafood.

Xiao Di Fried Prawn Noodle, 153 Serangoon North Ave 1, #01-512, Singapore 550153

jw5

Loyal
Where To Dabao The 10 Best Michelin Bib Gourmand Local Food in Singapore

1. Balestier Road Hoover Rojak

Hoover Rojak Hawker Bib Gourmand

Hoover Rojak

Rojak, in Malay means “eclectic mix”. Whether to call it a local spin of salad or a fruit salad is up to you, but its addictive sauce and fresh ingredients make for a very mouth-watering experience! While there is an Indian version of Rojak, Hoover Rojak serves the Chinese version, which is different! You will find some unique ingredients in it such as jellyfish, century egg, and bunga kantan (torch ginger flower buds).

Opening Hours: Wed – Sun: 10.30am – 4pm, closed on Mondays and Tuesdays

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

2. Muthu’s Curry

Muthu's Curry

Michelin Bib Gourmand

If you’re looking for a place to have piping hot fish head curry, head over to Muthu’s Curry! Their special (and secret) recipe is a unique blend of spices that only the current owners know of. So rest assured, you will definitely find that it has a taste like no other.

Opening Hours: 10.30am – 10.30pm, Daily

jw5

Loyal

3. Chey Sua Carrot Cake

Chey Sua Carrot Cake Bib Gourmand

Chey Sua Hawker Bib Gourmand

Chey Sua Carrot Cake only has white carrot cake, so if you’re #team black carrot cake, it’s time to try something new! Other than their distinct flat shape being different from other carrot cake stalls, they actually use carrots and not radish. Even their chilli is handmade!

Opening Hours: Tues – Sun: 6am – 1pm, Closed on Mondays

waitifcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Balestier Road Hoover Rojak

Rojak, in Malay means “eclectic mix”. Whether to call it a local spin of salad or a fruit salad is up to you, but its addictive sauce and fresh ingredients make for a very mouth-watering experience! While there is an Indian version of Rojak, Hoover Rojak serves the Chinese version, which is different! You will find some unique ingredients in it such as jellyfish, century egg, and bunga kantan (torch ginger flower buds).

Opening Hours: Wed – Sun: 10.30am – 4pm, closed on Mondays and Tuesdays

KLN

This one, you queue from Whampoa to
India, Iraq and Iran sia.

waitifcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal

2. Muthu’s Curry

If you’re looking for a place to have piping hot fish head curry, head over to Muthu’s Curry! Their special (and secret) recipe is a unique blend of spices that only the current owners know of. So rest assured, you will definitely find that it has a taste like no other.

Opening Hours: 10.30am – 10.30pm, Daily

KLN

Standard dropped.
Rast time eat at Damp-see Load, fish not 100% fresh.'

Btw, this bLanch alLeedy closed think in 2020.