• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

reminiscence of primary school days......

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Black Heart

3289127797_791ddabffd.jpg

When Pr. 1, I started with lunchbox of kaya-butter sandwich and tumbler of Ribena.

Ribena is still a beverage for the young. Anyone drinking Milo or coffee instead ? Any form of tonic ? The famous blackcurrant drinks did not contain any Vitamin C as claimed.

The tests were conducted after Ribena drinks in New Zealand were found to contain almost no Vitamin C.

Ribena maker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has been fined S$235 000 (NZ$217,500 or US$156,000) for misleading advertising.

The company had claimed that its blackcurrant drinks had four times the Vitamin C of oranges.

But a pair of 14-year-old schoolgirls exposed the false claim after testing the drink as part of a science project.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Black Heart

Ribena is still a beverage for the young. Anyone drinking Milo or coffee instead ? Any form of tonic ? The famous blackcurrant drinks did not contain any Vitamin C as claimed.

The tests were conducted after Ribena drinks in New Zealand were found to contain almost no Vitamin C.

Ribena maker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has been fined S$235 000 (NZ$217,500 or US$156,000) for misleading advertising.

The company had claimed that its blackcurrant drinks had four times the Vitamin C of oranges.

But a pair of 14-year-old schoolgirls exposed the false claim after testing the drink as part of a science project.

Where is our AVA and what have they got to say about this?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CzkAPMWNSGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncles will tell old stories of those ice-balls which the vendor sells using crushed ice and making it into a ball with red beans inside. He will cover the ball with coloured liquid sugar.

Also the rojak seller that sells turnip slices and use the thick black molasses to spread over, sometimes with chilly and then with ground peanuts.

Sometimes my uncles would go hunting in Malaysia and bring home fruit bats to cook with curry and the usual wild boar meat.

the iceball - that brings back fond memories. it was finely sliced ice and hand rolled into a ball like a snowball. then the vendor would scoop out different colored syrup pouring over it. u would ve to held it in ur palm and slurp and eat it. the trick to eat was to exchange left hand to right while holding n eating the iceball. could be quite freezing if keep holding onto the same hand for a long time. well, it was really "palm licking" good. syrup tasted especially good during those days. most of the drinks were conjured more mixture of syrups n tap water in big block ice.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
we had many fruit trees in our kampong. during fruiting season, the flying foxes - a kind of bigger bats would be attracted. armed with our diy "lastik", we would shoot some down using stones picked from the ground.

flying fox was known in hokkien as kuey ji bar (fruit bat). the bat meat was very nutritious. my grandma used it to brew tonic soup. it was said that after consuming it which was very heaty, the next day ur eyes would be full of sticky eye shits or bak sai ko. the meat was reputated to be especially good to those who had asthma or weak body.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Primary school memories for me were....

Super Trump Cards - Those playing cards where they have series of racing cars, warships, military aircraft, etc. On each card is a picture of the warship (if it is a warship series), and its associated technical data such as length, breadth, speed, displacement, etc.

Running at the Padang - During my time, ECA was done at the Padang on Saturdays.

Cheap tuckshop food - Where you can have a bowl of noodles for 20c and a whole fish cake also for 20c. A glass cup of rose syrup cost either 5c or 10c (I can't accurately recall).

Magnolia milk - Where I have to exchange a coupon for magnolia milk which came in a squat fat bottle in school.

Mass toothbrushing - We had to brush our teeth after recess time with the whole class spread along either side of a small drain to do it.

Being spooked by the eerieness of Fort Canning on a Saturday afternoon after ECA.

Matchbox plastic models - Where you can get a Spitfire or Mosquito model plane.

Bottle caps - Begging the drink stall uncle to give you that Royal Cola or Sinalco bottle cap so that you can add them to your collection and then using them to try to win more bottle caps in a game where you try to overturn your bottle cap on that of an opponent.

Going to MPH.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, I've heard about the case. Anyway those pr. sch. days, who cared about vitamins? It was just for the taste; better than plain water. I did drink Horlicks and Milo at home. I started drinking tea and coffee only in sec. sch. days. If you talk about tonic, it was always a little bottle of chicken essence per day during exam week. Then there was a daily pop of two little capsules of Scotts cod liver oil. I disliked the emulsion version and told my mom not to buy that anymore, just buy the capsules.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

hey Ram ....2 different type leh....the white thick emulsion type and the lighter amber liquid type. Both were yucky.

Yes, I've heard about the case. Anyway those pr. sch. days, who cared about vitamins? It was just for the taste; better than plain water. I did drink Horlicks and Milo at home. I started drinking tea and coffee only in sec. sch. days. If you talk about tonic, it was always a little bottle of chicken essence per day during exam week. Then there was a daily pop of two little capsules of Scotts cod liver oil. I disliked the emulsion version and told my mom not to buy that anymore, just buy the capsules.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

i dunno u guys but during my primary school days besides mandarin being the 2nd language, we were forced to study malay and it was an exam subject. surprisingly, this carried on when i was in sec 1 n 2.

every year on the last day of lst term, there would be the annual school concert. i was always selected to perform in a couple of items. singing solo was the usual annual affair for me.

at the end of the final year exam after the results were announced, there would be a grand prize giving ceremony. we had a few unique categories beside the lst in each individual primary level, there would be the most helpful pupil award, the best effort award, best essay award and etc. it was a very stimulating and motivatioal for all the pupils then.

by the way, i still don't understand why while in primary school, the kids were called pupils but in secondary they were called students?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

by the way, i still don't understand why while in primary school, the kids were called pupils but in secondary they were called students?

Pupil means someone who's learning something. Student means someone who's studying something. Interestingly, law graduates have to go through pupilage to become full-fledged lawyers. Then, they're called learned ones.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neither can I understand why soccer players are referred to as boys and not men when most are married with kids. If they are boys, their kids called simi?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neither can I understand why soccer players are referred to as boys and not men when most are married with kids. If they are boys, their kids called simi?

Lawyers called to the bar, that's scary too, are they drunk? Judges called to the bench, that's scary too, are they senile retirees? Lawyers and doctors practise, that's scary too, haven't they perfected their profession upon graduation? Use their clients and patients for practice? :eek:

But patients are called patients, that's understandable. Look at the clinic and hospital queues. Be patient. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
do kids nowadays still play ROUNDER or CHATEK?

after PSLE, we organised a simple picnic at mt faber. it was so simplistic and pure. each brought their own food such as sandwiches and their own drink tumbler of ribena. (i dunno why but ribena seemed to be the national pri sch official drink.) we brought simple games like "chatek" which we would take turn to kick and count. who ever reached the set number of kicks won the game. for forfeit, the loser would have to throw the chatek to the winner which he would kick the oncoming chatek with his leg with all his might sending the missile far for the loser to catch. if he missed, then he would repeat. game was considered over once the thrown and kicked chatek was caught by the loser and the whole game repeat with a new number of chatek kick to achieve. this was an acquired and practised skill where the chatek kicker could alternate each right or left leg to kick. his turn own be over once he missed the chatek that fell to the ground and his number of successful kicks were noted n continued to count from there when his turn come around again.

then there was "rounder" which was like a mini softball game. if the ground was sandy, a circle would be drawn on the ground in a triangular arrangement. if it was turfed ground, then a slipper was place for each of the 3 bases. the game was divided into 2 team: the hitter vs the thrower.
it was just like how softball was played except instead of bat, we would use any make-do stick or even a slipper or just bare hand. the ball was a soft plastic colorful ball which was cost about 10c and was the same kind used for hantam bola.

withe the thrower team of players spaced out behind the thrower to catch hit ball. if any caught the ball, then the hitter player would be "out" and the next hitter player took over. when the player hit the ball, he had to start running around the 3 bases. to safe himself he had to step on a base. if not, once the catcher caught the ball, he could aim and shoot him. if the ball hit him, he would be out.

every child game last time seemed to come with a fortfeit or punishment. for the rounder game, all the losers would have to face the fortfeit by putting their hand stretched out. the winner team players would take turn to aim and try to hit his hand with the ball. could be quite painful when hit.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
Primary school memories for me were....

Super Trump Cards - Those playing cards where they have series of racing cars, warships, military aircraft, etc. On each card is a picture of the warship (if it is a warship series), and its associated technical data such as length, breadth, speed, displacement, etc.

yes yes, i remembered the trump cards. my favourite were the truck series (those trucks that looked like optimus prime type) and also the war tank series. during my time, it was like 80 cent to 1 dollar per pack. then, a few of us would chip in money just to buy 1 pack. (my time, my mum only gave me 60 cents. 1 curry puff cost 20 cent, 1 plate noodle cost 50cent, 1 cup syrup drink cost 10 cent.)

then it was the eraser that has a country flag on it. 1 piece sells for 10 cent. we always try to look for the singapore flag, making a mess at the bookshop.

don't you realise how time flies? i wish i can go back to my primary school to take a walk.. but too bad, its been torn down...:(

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
the iceball - that brings back fond memories. it was finely sliced ice and hand rolled into a ball like a snowball. then the vendor would scoop out different colored syrup pouring over it. u would ve to held it in ur palm and slurp and eat it. the trick to eat was to exchange left hand to right while holding n eating the iceball. could be quite freezing if keep holding onto the same hand for a long time. well, it was really "palm licking" good. syrup tasted especially good during those days. most of the drinks were conjured more mixture of syrups n tap water in big block ice.

There appears to be no difference in the health of or maybe the older generation appears more robust, despite the lack of hygiene and drinking mostly unboiled water.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPD Or Ren Ci ?

[video=youtube;fi3fNs_-f0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3fNs_-f0A&feature=related[/video]

I have forgotten which charity show that showed 新谣 Xin Yao (Singapore ballad) music with all the 80s groupies that made it possible and kick started our own local music scene till this day.

The SPD or Ren Ci charity show ? The above one was well written and composed.

There were a few Xin Yao songs that were good enough with great lyrics (vocab) that put many to shame (Sinkies' Mandarin standard is often found wanting INCLUDING Media Corpse).

The 80s was a strange era. Anyway, I respect them for making our Chinese songs so vibrant and some did excel above Taiwan's. China mainland songs are the worst. Listening to their (PRC) drama theme songs can make you squirm - very bad. :(

This one also not bad.

梁文福- 细水长流

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cold Milo ?

Anyway, I think cold one is the best. Too much of a hassle to carry so many things like going to war. Yeo Hup Seng's cold beverage or ice cold Milo used to be great for me.

Capsule ? Too 'heaty' for me. I took the white liquid type for my weak lungs when I was still a child. Scott's Emulsion ? Actually, it seemed to taste better than capsules.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cold Milo ?

This is a great thread. Up points for TS LTB.

My primary school was a very small school. I don't think you can find such small schools nowadays. The little tuckshop had only two stalls. One Chinese noodle and rice stall, one drinks, fruits and cakes stall. The stalls would try to vary their offerings a little here and here every other day. After NS, I realized that's police academy or army camp cookhouse way. The recess queue looked long but they were quite fast and it was cheap and delicious. There was no halal food because there wasn't any Malay students, Malay teachers or ML2 classes. Not even Tamil. It was all Chinese, yet it was an English school.

There were only two non-Chinese students around as far as I could see, me being one, both of us Eurasians. Only CL2 was available. That was why no Malay or Indian enrolled. It was within walking distance from my old home. It was public school, not elite private school.

I have fond memories there, especially the nice little garden playground. The school was so small that it'd look like a kindergarten compared to modern schools nowadays. But that's the fun and memorable part of childhood. Just like our own little world when we stepped into school.

Last edited: